Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Godolphin/James Cummings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:19pm
Kementari should have won that easy if he hadnt got blocked.
Mortons Fork should get a few more mares to Ad Valorem ? 
animals before people.
intrepidarts View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:11pm
Quite sure Bart would be backing him in from upstairs!!
intrepidarts
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 3:07am
Originally posted by intrepidarts intrepidarts wrote:

Quite sure Bart would be backing him in from upstairs!!

Bart would be God smacked ( pardon the Pun ) that a Cummings tries to win. .
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:57pm
Good day today. Despite K losing
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:05pm
Any excuses for K?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:16pm
Certainly not on face value.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:22pm
Saw something on social media today that James has trained his 500th winner since Bart passed away.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:30pm
Weird stat.
500th winner since someone died. Strange
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:45pm
They need to keep pumping out good media about themselves. These days if you have not got the media telling all the mugs how good u are? You will be overlooked. Or so most people think! We are living in a very unsucure world full of reality everything. James Cummings? Come on he was playing ping pong at private school a few years ago . Do u really think he is training? I think he ok some things and follows the rules
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:02pm
Absolutely he’s training them.
I literally laughed at him for several months after he took over.
the stable had been going great,then he turned up,and all his team turned it up 50m out .
They were all under done,and it went in for months.
Now they are all fit enough to win 1st up,with improvement in all of them.

I’ve gone from laying all of them, to backing plenty of them in early markets.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:59pm
Rusty what changed your mind? Because they have had a couple of winners lately? There is 500 we'll breed horses! They are supposed to get winners!! A lot more then other trainers!
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:26pm
Mate, they are presented at the races in good order, and most seem well placed.

He’s not faultless, Kementaris last prep was all over the place.
I think his jockey selections need improvement.

He does have an unbelievable advantage over most.
But the test is how many G1’s, I think he’s about par atm.
Time will tell.
But the original question was is he responsible for their current performance, and I believe he is.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Rusty what changed your mind? Because they have had a couple of winners lately? There is 500 we'll breed horses! They are supposed to get winners!! A lot more then other trainers!

Well Straight on your logic, you must think Aidan O'Brien is the luckiest SOB that has ever walked the planet.

I suppose we should give Magnier and the Coolmore racing manager the credit their, hey?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:45am
Young Cummings is doing nicely thank you .     His horses usually put in & that's what punters should be happy with .

I won't be more unkind to Bart , other than to say he is much the same today as most of his runners were.
D. Weir didn't invent the Fraud in Racing.    Plenty beat him to that many many years ago.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:56am
3weeks ago u were all bagging him. Racing?? Amazing what a handful of wins do to some.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

3weeks ago u were all bagging him. Racing?? Amazing what a handful of wins do to some.

Over 70 years with my head in a form guide, too many hours a day ,    I can sort out the Trainers to beware of.
( I've never bagged James)    Rarely will you see me bag a rider either.

I'm in the dark about the "handful" of wins you refer to.    Were they bragged about, before the races were run , or the ones after they are run.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:41am
Well I can not speak for anyone else Straight, but I am flexible when it comes to my decisions, so in other words, I am quite happy to change my mind.

My Change in mind has come about over 12 months, my two previous posts in this thread, were in January and August last year.

In that time we have seen Avilius, Best Of Days, Hartnell and Alizee develop, Kementari has been competitive at group 1 level and the two year olds are flying, highlighted by Godolphins first ever Magic Millions.

Horses like Aramayo, Pohutukawa and Ranier are all contenders for the autumn races and Encryption ran well in the Oakleigh Plate.

I had him at a c- last Janaury, but he has moved up to a b at the moment.

The only reason he is not an A for me, is that Anthony Freedman and Charlie Appleby have shown what they can do, with limited runners from the owner, so obviously there is room for improvement in James's operation, at this point.      
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:00am
  You forgot the Slipper winner , Microphone = (I Hope)
   You are spot on about being flexable Voyager ...   a must.

I even back a Waller runner occasionally these days.

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Mar 2019 at 7:56am
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 1:56pm
Godolphin's delight at seeing Flensburg win at Ballarat on Sunday ran much deeper than finally seeing him break his maiden.

The son of Reset was one of the hard-luck stories of the season two starts prior at Kyneton and had been well-fancied at a number of his first six starts but been unable to get the job done.

The victory might have also helped ensure the three-year-old tacked a few extra dollars onto his impending sale price.

Flensburg is part of the 18-horse draft that Godolphin will next week offer digitally through Inglis.

WATCH: Flensburg's Ballarat win

It followed Saturday's win at Rosehill by one-time spruik horse Esperance, who is the banner lot in the digital offering.

While Godolphin sells tried stock on an annual basis, next week will be the first time it has taken part in a digital sale of this kind.

"We do generally sell a tranche of racehorses at this time of year, but given these unique times we are selling online," Godolphin Australia general manager Vin Cox told ANZ Bloodstock News.

"Over a period of time we have built up a faith with the buyers, we don't offer horses that have any issues that will compromise their ability to go to the races.

"Transparency is also the key, we disclose everything we know about each horse."

Among others for sale are The Driller, a son of Sea The Stars and former star sprinting mare Shamal Wind, who was an unlucky second at Geelong on Friday, and Shielded, a three-year-old gelding who is a half-brother to the well-performed Multaja.

Although a virtual sale, the Godolphin draft will be available for inspection at Inglis' Riverside Sales Complex at Warwick Farm on Monday, June 8, with the sale to be conducted next Wednesday, June 10.

Godolphin horses for sale

Auxin (3YOg Exceed And Excel x Caline. 11 starts - 1:1:1)

Camp Rifle (3YOg Shooting To Win x Mead. 10 - 2:0:1)

Dulcero (3YOf Dawn Approach x Switmoa. 3 - 0:1:0)

Dynamited (4YOg Exceed And Excel x Shatters. 11 - 1:0:0)

Esperance (5YOg Bernardini x Sycophant. 18 - 5:4:3)

Flensburg (3YOg Reset x Mayfield. 7 - 1:2:0).

Frazil (3YOf Medaglia d'Oro x Sastruga. 12 - 1:1:1)

Golwen (3YOg Lonhro x Sindarin. 9 - 2:1:2)

Imsouane (3YOf Lonhro x Seaside. 6 - 1:1:0)

Jazirat (3YOf Shooting To Win x Alzira. 3 - 0:0:0)

Montserrat (3YOg Not A Single Doubt x My Sydney Rose. 8 - 1:2:1)

Prebendal (2YOg Teofilo x Benenden. Unraced)

Reality (3YOg Shooting To Win x Hallucinates. Unraced)

Secretively (3YOg Dawn Approach x Very Discreet. 9 - 1:1:1)

Shaibanat (3YOg Lonhro x Margham. 10 - 1:0:0)

Shielded (3YOg Helmet x Shelters. 6 - 0:3:0)

The Driller (3YOg Sea The Stars x Shamal Wind. 6 - 1:3:1)

Tongariro (3YOg Animal Kingdom x Pele. 8 - 1:1:0).
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 6:18pm
Should be some good money spinners in that lot.

Can see Yulong or Aquis picking up Esperance for a quick return.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 6:36pm
Fillies ordinary which is unsurprising: they keep those with commercial prospects.

Surprised The Driller is being offered.  Despite dam Shamal Wind being a fast sprinter, there's enough strength in his pedigree being by champion middle distance racehorse and sire Sea the Stars with Dubawi as sire of Shamal Wind.

You'd think he could graduate to stakes class as a 4yo over 1400-2000m, and if sound might well bring six figures.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Should be some good money spinners in that lot.

Can see Yulong or Aquis picking up Esperance for a quick return.

I just had a look at the disclosure document - Esperance is a roarer and ineligible for a pre-sale scope. Yikes.
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 1:48am
Something I find slightly annoying -

When they have multiple runners in a race, I believe Godolphin use a system where they work off saddlecloth numbers to decide the colour of the cap. Lowest number wears the blue cap, then the white cap, the red cap, black cap, etc. That's fine.

However, I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to change those cap colours after one of their runners has been scratched. Form guides have already been printed!

Today, in the final leg of the quaddy, form guides & internet TAB sites were showing that Knickpoint was carrying the white cap & Zakat the red cap. However, Tailleur (who was listed with the blue cap) had been scratched. Knickpoint was one of the runners I had going for me & the approximate dividend was going to be $23,507. So, they get into the home straight & a horse carrying Royal Blue colours with a white cap hits the front. I got a tiny bit excited ... until I hear the caller say it was Zakat.
Thumbs Down

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:49pm

A Day In The Life – James Cummings

While most are sound asleep, or in many cases just getting home, the day for Godolphin Australia's head trainer James Cummings is just beginning.

The public get to see 34-year-old Cummings all suited up and looking the part of a focused young man on raceday, what they've missed along the journey to the enclosure is the countless hours of preparation which have gone into presenting horse and trainer at that precise moment.

There he is, instructing jockeys and listening intently to their explanations post race, talking with his inner sanctum and taking media commitments in his stride. All in a day's work.

However "game day" is only the final moments of endless hard work and planning which has gone on behind the scenes over the preceding days, weeks, months and even years.

This week I was fortunate enough to spend a Day In The Life with James Cummings, and it's a long and intense 24 hours I've got to say.

3am:

The daily ritual begins with Cummings having his alarm permanently set for the same time each morning.

Cummings is picked up at his eastern suburbs family home by his trusty driver and friend, Chris Nethery, and the pair make their way out to Warwick Farm.

"Trainers get used to the early starts,'' Cummings said.

4.15am:

Arrives at Warwick Farm to get ready for trackwork. The Godolphin stable have 65 in work at the south-western Sydney racecourse including many of their new season two-year-olds.

"We try to get the two-year-olds worked early,'' Cummings said.

"Then we spend an hour on the road again getting out to Agnes Banks.''

Cummings arrives at Godolphin's Osborne Park at Agnes Bank near Richmond, north-west of Sydney.

Godolphin has 80 horses in work at their picturesque private training complex which has the Hawkesbury-Nepean River at the back of the property and the Blue Mountains as a backdrop.

"We are fortunate to have certain advantages like this property at Osborne Park,'' Cummings said.

9.15am:

Trackwork is completed and Cummings makes his way through each of the stable barns as veterinarians check the soundness and well-being of every horse.

Anamoe is paraded, trotting up in front of Cummings' watchful eye, his action free and coat gleaming in the morning sunshine.

"He looks great, pulled up so well from his first run,'' Cummings enthused. "It sets him up for the spring now.''

10.30am:

Cummings enters his office at Osborne Park. Sky Thoroughbred Central is on in the background as the trainer has a cup of coffee and late breakfast.

The Godolphin trainer has already been going non-stop since the alarm went off at 3am but his day is only just beginning.

11am:

Cummings turns his attention to a mountain of paperwork on his desk.

He pores over the training and race programs of every horse in the stable while his personal assistant Cath Carson, finalises jockey bookings and horse transport arrangements.

"Cath takes on a pretty stressful role dealing with jockey managers and float managers,'' Cummings said.

"She has to piece it all together each day – I don't know how she does it!"

1pm:

Most Mondays and Tuesdays are frantic at Godolphin and Cummings rarely gets time to even stop for lunch.

Later in the week, Cummings would like to squeeze in nine holes of golf in the afternoon with some of his stable staff but time is his enemy.

"I can never get out for nine holes of golf these days,'' he lamented.

"My handicap is down where it hurts now and I need to get out and practice more but that is hard to do when I need to be home by about 5pm. We have four kids to look after.''

3.30pm:

Cummings takes another walk through the stables, making sure all his horses are back in their boxes, their feed bins full and they have access to plenty of water.

"We might have some horses we need to look at after they have raced or trialled somewhere else, or some that might have come in from the paddock,'' he said.

"There might be some X-rays we need to check on some horses to see how they are developing and maturing.''

5pm:

Cummings likes to be home around 5pm most days so he can be with his wife, Monica, and spend time with their four young children, Adeline (7), Harvey (5), Mia (3) and Oliver (10 months).

There is an unwritten law among racing media not to contact trainers and jockeys in the evening unless absolutely necessary as this is their family time but Cummings probably couldn't answer his phone anyway because his working day is only getting busier.

"For any young Dad now, you are a leper if you don't change nappies and get the kids bathed,'' Cummings said.

8pm:

After being on the go for 17 hours, Cummings' day finally ends and he's in bed early most nights.

After such a long, exhausting daily work schedule, the trainer revealed he has no trouble falling asleep.

"When you have a clear conscience it is easy to go straight to sleep,'' Cummings said. 

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 11:21am
What a great young man he is. His results are definitely the result of absolute dedication to his profession. He doesn’t train his horses from the bars and restaurants like some. 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 11:27am
Sounds like he could sleep in longer and get home earlier if he moved from the eastern suburbs.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 1:53pm
Fair ole hike from the east burbs to Agnes Banks.  WinkLOL
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 2:04pm
Spot on Batman . Clap
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 6:23pm
James trained his 1000th winner on Saturday at Newcastle , a 3y/o called Pericles , by Street Boss from the G1 producing mare Accessories ( GB) , he's her fifth winner from six foals to race , including Epaulette, Helmut, Bullbars and Pearls , how I read it was , James became head trainer on August 1, 2017 for Godolphin , to all his staff , you've done a grand job. StarStarStar 🥕🥕🥕🍷🍷
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 8:11pm
What a difference a week makes.  After a great weekend at Rosehill & Flemington last Saturday, the stable had 15 runners today at Randwick & Hawkesbury for no winners Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>