Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jericho Cup 4600m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:15pm
Great story from her website.

Horse ownership is a rollarcoaster ride. Just ask Max Walker who owns HELLO MY FRIEND.

Max bought Hello My Friend from an on-line sale back in 2017. She was an unraced filly by Americain which Tarcoola Stud was selling. It just so happened that Jules was acting as Tarcoola's agent and he brokered the deal which saw Max acquire the filly for $12,000.

Max was a first time owner. He lived opposite Mornington Race Course on a little 2 acre block and after losing his son, decided that he needed a project to fill the void. 'Friend' was it.

Jules convinced Max to send his new filly to Charlotte and so began the journey.

After showing very little in her jumpouts (this is a common theme with daughters of Americain), Max and Charlotte headed to Geelong for her debut earlier in the year with very low expectations. She was 150-1 and given no chance. When Benny Thompson took her to the lead, we all exopected her to compound. However, when she kicked a length clesr on the corner, Max and Charlotte stood in silence as they pondfed the unthinkable. She didn't win but she ran a gallant third, beaten a long neck in what of the greatest debuts seen at Hayfields.

The high was short lived as six unpalced runs followed including a 23L defeat at Cranbourne when Friend went too
hard out in front. Friend was at the cross-roads when she ventured to Racing.Com Park on Oaks Day.

The blinkers were removed, riding tactics altered and she found her way back on a heavy track. The old Friend returned with a stirring victory which brought a tear to Max's eye. The day will go down as one of Max's most memorable moments.

A big thanks to Cheryl and Chloe for saddling up Friend whilst Charlotte and Jules were at Flemington.

And lastly to Max, we did it, with some help from above!
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:37pm
Interesting website POP. Might be a trainer to follow.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:03pm
HIGH MODE (NZ)Brown or black gelding 2013 
Redwood
Bay or brown 2006
High Chaparral
Bay 1999
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Kasora
Brown 1993
Darshaan
Brown 1981
Shirley Heights
Delsy
1-l
13-c
Kozana
Brown 1982
Kris
Koblenza
2-o
1-n
Arum Lily
Bay 2001
Woodman
Chestnut 1983
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Playmate
Chestnut 1975
Buckpasser
Intriguing
1-s
1-s
Jolypha
Bay or brown 1989
Lyphard
Bay 1969
Northern Dancer
Goofed
2-d
17-b
Navajo Princess
Bay 1974
Drone
Olmec
1-l
3-d
Lalla
Chestnut 2003
Silver Hawk
Bay 1979
Roberto
Bay 1969
Hail to Reason
Brown 1958
Turn-To
Nothirdchance
1-w
4-n
Bramalea
Bay or brown 1959
Nashua
Rarelea
3-m
12-c
Gris Vitesse
Grey 1966
Amerigo
Chestnut 1955
Nearco
Sanlinea
4-r
1-p
Matchiche
Grey 1956
Mat de Cocagne
Chimere Fabuleuse
6>
21-a
Mystify
Bay 1997
Batshoof
Bay 1986
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Steel Habit
Bay 1979
Habitat
Ampulla
4-r
7>
Santa Linda
Sir Ivor
Bay 1965
Sir Gaylord
Attica
2-s
8-g
Santa Paula
Bay 1967
Santa Claus
Pocahontas
3-o
9-h
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m,5m x 5m Sadler's Wells3m x 4m
reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:04pm
How good a run by old Crafty Cruiser.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
Great run the old boy! Winner looks like it would run 5 miles
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:10pm
Crafty now has $998k in the bank
Not bad for a $11,000 buy
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm
reductio ad absurdum
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

How good a run by old Crafty Cruiser.

Now only $2k short of the $1.0m prizemoney mark.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:47pm
reductio ad absurdum
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Round of applause! Absolute success!! Great ride by jock. Top training performance
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
I hope one day this can become a stand alone Saturday meeting.
Will sit nicely between Ballarat and Pakenham after the Spring in Melbourne ends
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:23pm

Will sit nicely between Ballarat and Pakenham after the Spring in Melbourne ends

Yeh why not.

It is certainly a class above the very best Moonee Valley can throw up.

reductio ad absurdum
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:01pm
I loved it and looked to be popular at the track too. Warrnambool is the perfect location. Hope it goes from strength to strength.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:46pm
Why did they run a 5m 31s etc to the other race over the distance run of 4m 31s?  I didn't see the race so just wondered.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:54pm
I really enjoyed the race.

Quesion..how would a Melbourne Cup winner fare in the Jericho Cup? Is it possible that they would be "too brilliant"to run out the 4600 metres?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Why did they run a 5m 31s etc to the other race over the distance run of 4m 31s?  I didn't see the race so just wondered.

THe Jericho was 600m further than the consolation. 
reductio ad absurdum
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:24pm
I wonder if Rick McIntosh could have fit any more jumps racing references into his call. Just about every furlong a mention. “If this was the grand annual they’d be about to jump a triple” “the grand annual winner from May”
It was a great race and a great concept. Let it stand on its own without trying to tie it into the jumps scene.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Yeh why not.

It is certainly a class above the very best Moonee Valley can throw up.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Quesion..how would a Melbourne Cup winner fare in the Jericho Cup? Is it possible that they would be "too brilliant"to run out the 4600 metres?

Given the fact the Jericho is only for Aus / NZ bred horses and is a Benchmark 90, t would be virtually impossible for a Melbourne Cup winner to run in the race.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Given the fact the Jericho is only for Aus / NZ bred horses and is a Benchmark 90, t would be virtually impossible for a Melbourne Cup winner to run in the race.

Interesting question none the less.

This year it was a benchmark 76.

Sir Charles Road would have compressed the weights if he qualified. I think Who Shot Thebarman was the only qualified Cup runner ?

Who Shot Thebarman......108 = 79 kgs
Sir Charles Road........107 = 78.5
Youngstar...............107 = 76.5

Who Shot Thebarman with 79
The rest of the field would have been on the minimum 64.

reductio ad absurdum
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:40pm
Great race....
Wonderful atmosphere. I hope they continue with these long distance races. These kind of races use to be staple in the 19th century.

But not for the commentator.

Really all those references to the jumps, where they would of been and what the horse won at is just taking away from the necessary color commentary which is needed for a event like this.

I reckon that kid would of done a better job. His tone and volume was heaps better than what I just heard.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:50am
I agree brudder, it wasn't a terrible call but the constant references to Warnambool jumps races took something away from the race for mine.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:48am
What sort of crowd do they get in May ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:02am
What was crowd like compared to normal cup day crowed? Or maybe wangoom day crowd? It look a good size on TVs?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What sort of crowd do they get in May ?

Packed.  Trying to get accommodation anywhere near Warrnambool in Cup week is impossible without a well in advance booking. 
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

I wonder if Rick McIntosh could have fit any more jumps racing references into his call. Just about every furlong a mention. “If this was the grand annual they’d be about to jump a triple” “the grand annual winner from May”
It was a great race and a great concept. Let it stand on its own without trying to tie it into the jumps scene.

Agree with that. Was a good call otherwise.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:29pm
Rickey carries on a bit to much for the average listener , yes I'm the average listener
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:28pm
Nothing wrong with the call, I thought he did it justice.
Was disappointed with the racing.com coverage though, talking over the national anthem and Last Post was disrespectful
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:31pm
Rick Macintosh was great to listen to when he called Jump races at a time they were under pressure and looked like maybe be lost to the do gooders. He talked it up and gave it a presence. Now he just carries on and tries to put his mark on every race. As far as that bloke they have working for Racing.com down around Warrnambool area now, I can’t remember anyone who is more painful to listen to!. I reckon he said the word “sensational” forty times over the days telecast and then to talk through the Anthem and the Last Post was a disgrace. Don’t know who is or where they dragged him from but I hope his stay isn’t a long one.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
We had a great time watching Penthouse Playboy run in the Jericho, was a wonderful day.
The horse just got a bit lost going around the circuit for the first time, didn’t handle the sand crossings or the road, and being out in the wide spaces. Once he got onto the course proper, his finale was satisfactory. He has now gone out to the paddock for a well earned break, will be back for some races in the Autumn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>