Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jericho Cup 4600m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jericho Cup 4600m
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:38am
A 4600m flat race at Warrnambool will be on the Victorian racing calendar for the 2018-19 season, commemorating the involvement of the Anzacs in World War I.

The $300,000 Jericho Cup will be hosted at the 'Bool in November 2018, just over 100 years after soldiers gathered horses in Palestine, outside Jericho, for a three-mile race during WWI.

The race was famously won by a horse called Bill The Bastard.

Inspired by history, philanthropist Bill Gibbins is behind the running of the Cup in the 21st century, and is contributing a majority of the funds for the event in 2018 - with the hope of it becoming a permanent fixture.

"Racing Victoria is very supportive of this initiative, which honours such a significant event from Australia's war past," RV executive general manager Greg Carpenter said.

"We look forward to working with the Warrnambool Racing Club as they deliver this milestone event and hope it holds a regular place on Victoria's racing calendar."

Only horses conceived and born in either Australia or New Zealand are eligible for the race.

Warrnambool Racing Club chief executive Pete Downs said they were happy to support the commemorative race.

"Australia has a proud war history and any event that positively promotes the involvement of the ANZAC soldiers and their horses during battle - we are only too happy to support," Downs said.

A points system will help determine who qualifies for the race, with the first three Australasian-bred horses past the post in any 3000m-plus flat race to earn points on a 3-2-1 basis (non-TAB meetings excluded).

Outside of that, the points will also be on offer for each of the Grand Annual Steeplechase (5500m) at Warrnambool, the Great Eastern Steeplechase (4950m) at Oakbank and the Spring Stayers Series Final at Morphettville (2600m).

There will also be double points on offer for select races (both 2017 and 2018 versions), with a race in Tasmania still to be added. The list so far consists of:

NSW - The Riverina Cup 3800m at Wagga Wagga (July);
VIC - The Final of the Marathon Series in Melbourne 4000m at Sandown (April);
SA - The Handicap 3600m at Oakbank (Easter) (in 2016, known as The Golding Wines Handicap);
WA - The Western Australia Cup 3200m (April); and
QLD - The Queensland Cup 3200m Eagle Farm (June/July).
The first Australasian-bred horse past the post in each of the above races will earn a ballot-exemption into the race in the same year - meaning this comes into effect from 2018 onwards.

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Jul 2023 at 1:51pm
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:39pm
It is worth remembering that of the 136,000 'Walers' that served during the so called Great War only one, Major General William Bridges horse Sandy, returned to Australia.  He lived out his days at Duntroon and later Maribyrnong. His head was mounted and is kept int he Australian War memorial but is not on display owing to to is condition.

The decision to leave the horses behind was a deliberate one to prevent diseases being brought back home.  It was romanticized by Trooper Bluegum (Major Oliver Hogue) in the following verse,

I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack
Just crawling round old Cairo with a ’Gyppo on his back.
Perhaps some English tourist out in Palestine may find
My broken hearted waler with a wooden plough behind.
No, I think I’d better shoot him and tell a little lie:–
“He floundered in a wombat hole and then lay down to die.”
Maybe I’ll get court martialled; but I’m damned if I’m inclined
To go back to Australia and leave my horse behind.
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:12pm
I can't work out if this is legit or satire as a result of the Everest announcement.

Cmon Apparitions!!!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:16pm
It's real. November 2018
Ammy42 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammy42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:43pm
Good on them. I especially like the idea of inviting winners from different states.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Is there a bonus for winning The Everest, Jericho double
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Fairest One Fairest One wrote:

I can't work out if this is legit or satire as a result of the Everest announcement.

This race was first announced almost a year ago. The racing press decided to pick up the story yesterday for some reason.
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:57pm
This is how you do it. Nice touch, and only $300k with a hard-to-knock background covered by private interests in year one. Meanwhile NSW is bending over backwards to funnel millions of dollars in prizemoney either overseas or into the kicks of a very few big spenders who don't need enticing. The contrast is nauseating.

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

This is how you do it. Nice touch, and only $300k with a hard-to-knock background covered by private interests in year one. Meanwhile NSW is bending over backwards to funnel millions of dollars in prizemoney either overseas or into the kicks of a very few big spenders who don't need enticing. The contrast is nauseating.

Couldn't agree with you more Phazeal.

As a racing fan, I'm far more excited about this 4600m race than the Everest a Randwick.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

It is worth remembering that of the 136,000 'Walers' that served during the so called Great War only one, Major General William Bridges horse Sandy, returned to Australia.  He lived out his days at Duntroon and later Maribyrnong. His head was mounted and is kept int he Australian War memorial but is not on display owing to to is condition.

The decision to leave the horses behind was a deliberate one to prevent diseases being brought back home.  It was romanticized by Trooper Bluegum (Major Oliver Hogue) in the following verse,

I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack

Those that could, took their horse out and shot it, to keep it from going into slavery in Egypt.
One of the great crimes was the way those horses were treated and abandoned by the Govnt that sent them into hell.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:31pm
Interestingly the Australian War Memorial suggests that the story of Light Horsemen shooting their faithful steeds to avoid slavery in the Middle East is a romanticisation (wrong word, but you know what I mean), and that most were sent to India.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:55pm
Y2J Y2J Y2J
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Interestingly the Australian War Memorial suggests that the story of Light Horsemen shooting their faithful steeds to avoid slavery in the Middle East is a romanticisation (wrong word, but you know what I mean), and that most were sent to India.

Hmmmmm, debatable.  And would India have been much better ??    I heard they went to ??   Finland/Norway ,or somewhere in Europe , for feed for the starving population.   i do know fact, some were shot rather than let them go god knows where.  A lot of those horses came from Ozz with their rider, off farms and stations.  
I read a story where they said if not for the Ozz war horses the population in some European country would have starved.
Where ever they went, it wasnt a good out come for horses who had served their country well above their duty.  Imagine what they went thru in the desert , with full packs and riders and no water for days and then a big battle.  
It was piss poor the way they were treated by the Govnt at war,s end, whatever happened to them.

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:42am
Agreed it wasn't a good outcome on any basis. This is the official version - take it with a grain of salt or not: https://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/44/page54_bou/
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:42am
None of it was a good outcome.  What ever happened to those horses,  at the end of the war,  should not have.
They took them from here .  Used them in battle and they aquitted  themselves beyond belief.
They deserved to be brought home.
But they wernt.
Shame shame shame.

animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:58pm
I’m going to back Our Yangtze in this.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
Dammit he is a foreigner so ineligible
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
Found this interesting

http://www.thejerichocup.com.au

QUALIFYING FOR THE RACE

The only requirement is to race Australasian Bred Stayers in this country and watch your points build up. Shuttle Stallions qualify, but the horse must have been conceived and born in Australia or New Zealand. It’s called supporting the local industry.

THE POINTS SYSTEM

Commencing 1st January 2017, the first three Australasian Bred horses over the line in every 3,000m or further flat race will earn 3-2-1 points. Non-TAB meetings are excluded, but all other races, no matter what class/age/sex restriction applies, will be treated equally.

The final field will be determined according to total points accrued, after allowing for any ballot exemptions. It is feasible that a horse could get in with no points (as long as it passes the breeding requirement). But any horse with just one point will get in ahead of those without any.

The final date to earn points will be 14 days before the running of The Jericho Cup. In 2018, this will be Sunday 18th November.

You will be able to check the progressive points total on this website.

This race obviously favours the up and coming horses against those that have already got there. But it will be possible for any class horse to win it.

ADDITIONAL POINTS SCORING RACES

DOUBLE POINTS RACES in 2018 (Correct at 1st March 2018)

NSW - The Riverina Cup 3,800m at Wagga Wagga (August 12th)
SA - Jericho Cup Prelude 3,600m BM82 at Oakbank (April 2nd)
WA - The Western Australia Cup 3,200m at Ascot (April 21st)
QLD - The Queensland Cup 3,200m Sunshine Coast (July 14th)
TAS - Open Hcp 3,200m Hobart (November)
VIC - We are currently negotiating a replacement race. Details will be updated ASAP.
The top point scorer in each of the above races in 2018 will be guaranteed a start in the Jericho Cup of the same year, regardless of points.

TWO EXEMPTIONS TO THE FLAT RACES ONLY RULE ARE: 1. The Grand Annual Steeple 5,500m at Warrnambool (May) 2. The Great Eastern Steeple 4,950m at Oakbank (Easter)

AN EXEMPTION TO THE 3,000M MINIMUM RULE IS: The Spring Stayers Series Final 2,600m at Morphetville SA (November) Other races may be added to this category to support those that support developing stayers.

The above information is current as at 31/10/2017.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:10pm
tmk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:52am
Hi there, I am the personal assistant for Bill Gibbins who is the founder of this race and just wanted to update you that the race is actually happening on Sunday the 2nd of December :) 
tmk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:56am
Hi there, just to let you know the $300k will be covered by private interests for a total of 4 years and there are other updates regarding the race, qualifying, exemptions and also a possible additional consolation race on the website http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html ;
tmk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:56am
Hi there, just to let you know the $300k will be covered by private interests for a total of 4 years and there are other updates regarding the race, qualifying, exemptions and also a possible additional consolation race on the website http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:35am
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:10am
Great news!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Spur On Gold

Spur On Gold (Image: Slickpix)

Jericho Cup gathers momentum

Luke Sheehan@LukeDSheehan

12:27pm

, (

The Haymes Paint Jericho Cup (4600m) draws closer, with Racing Victoria revealing the likely option for a Jericho Cup consolation race to be added to the Warrnambool card in December.

The feature race, a brainchild of philanthropist Bill Gibbins and a tribute to the three-mile race conducted by the Australian Light Horse in Jericho outside of Palestine during WWI, is capped at a field of 12 plus four emergencies, with only Australasian-bred horses eligible for the 4600-metre race.

From the jockeys' perspective, only those who hold a highweight license will be able to participate.

Also, RV has announced on Tuesday that should the $300,000 Cup fetch a field of at least 10 runners, a consolation race run over 4065m worth $40,000 will be scheduled on the same day for those that miss a run in the major event.

The consolation race would carry a ballot-exemption for the winner, for the 2019 Jericho Cup.

Furthermore, if the consolation event gets the go-ahead - which would seem likely given the high interest in the Cup - it will also be for highweight riders exclusively.

With jumps racing finished for 2018, RV has scheduled races on the following cards to help the highweight riders prepare for the December 2 raceday: Kilmore (Monday, 8 October), Stawell (Monday, 22 October), Kilmore (Monday, 12 November) and Mornington (Monday, 19 November).

Entries for the Jericho Cup close at midday on November 20, with weights for the Benchmark 90 event revealed the following day, and acceptances taken at midday on November 27.

Qualifying for the event has been underway since the idea became reality and the race was put back on the map in early 2017.

With points on offer on a 3-2-1 basis for all 3000-metre-plus races run at TAB meetings, as well as select shorter races plus double points in certain instances, stayers of all capabilities with Australian and NZ breeding have been putting the score on the board.

Leaderboard (discounting retired horses):

10 points - Bayanova, Spur On Gold

8 points - Thunder Road, Weave

7 points - Choysa, Crafty Cruiser, Prize

6 points - Fanatic, Grassini, I'll Miss You, My Diamantine, Who Shot Thebarman, Zarantz

5 points - Cuban Fighter

4 points - Bidrectional, Dudemanbro, Duke of Staghurst, King of Sting, Megablast, Spying On You, Sunset Superman

Ahead of those on the leaderboard are four ballot-exempt horses.

WA Cup winner Dark Musket (Graeme Ballantyne), Queensland Cup runner-up Anton en Avant (Stephen Lee) and High Mode (Anthony Freedman) while the Lindsay Park-trained Dane Hussler is also ballot-exempt but the mare has since been retired.

There are still several chances for horses to pick up points to qualify for the inaugural Cup, including:

October 22 - Stawell BM58 Highweight (3600m);

November 3 - Morphettville BM82 (2500m);

November 6 - Echuca BM64 (3200m);

November 6 - Flemington Melbourne Cup (3200m);

November 6 - Hobart Open (3200m) - double points/ballot-exempt race;

November 16 - Moonee Valley BM70 (3000m) - double points/ballot-exempt race;

November 17 - Sandown Cup (3200m); and

November 19 - Grafton BM66 (3120m).

RV executive general manager - racing and participant wellbeing, Greg Carpenter, said: "We're delighted to join with the Warrnambool Racing Club and Bill Gibbins in celebrating the centenary of the Jericho Cup, a defining moment in the history of Australia, and delivering this unique staying contest with a rich $300,000 prize pool.

"The contenders for the Jericho Cup are taking shape and with a number of qualifying races still to come there's plenty of opportunities for Australasian-bred stayers to secure the points to push their way up the order of entry before nominations close on 20 November."

Gibbins, managing director and founder of the Cup, said: "We have been working on this project of reviving the Jericho Cup for a long time and it is incredibly exciting that we are now only two months away from the raceday. I look forward to seeing which horses nominate as we edge closer to what will be an extraordinary day at Warrnambool on Sunday, 2 December."

The 2018 Cup will be run just over 100 years after soldiers gathered horses in Palestine, outside Jericho, for a three-mile race during WWI - the race was famously won by a horse called Bill The Bastard.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:34pm
Why have a points system ?

Why not just release the weights and the highest weighted 12 get in and the next 12 run for the consolation.

A points system based on handicaps is a nonsense, 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:53pm
Has the race stands - 

Who Shot Thebarman........114
Fanatic...............................104
Megablast...........................102
Zarantz...............................91
Choysa...............................88
My Diamentina...................87
Dudemanbro......................76
Bayanova...........................70
Weave................................70
I'll Miss You........................70
Bidirectional........................69
Thunder Road....................67

Cuban Fighter....................67
Spur On Gold.....................65
Spying On You...................59
Crafty Cruiser.....................58
Grassini..............................57
Sunset Superman...............55
King Of Sting......................50
Duke Of Staghurst.............40

reductio ad absurdum
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

<em style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack

😳 Do they have wombats in Cairo? Bit of a blooper 😊
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:08pm
Horses aren’t machines. Where is the cut off point?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
If they can run 8 km over jumps with 75 kgs on their back they can run 4600m.

I expect a time of around 5 minutes to complete the task. 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>