Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australia's Whip Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:58pm
Sucks for Con, one of the good guys of racing.
I see Owen Connick and his wife is in the ownership, he built my brother & sister in laws house. Also a good bloke.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:03pm
Is that whole series, heats and final, conducted under the same whip rules?
Time is a flat circle
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:07pm
Reckon there could be a more than a couple of transgressions at Caulfield on Saturday.  And at Rosehill also.

But won't be bothered looking up the Stewards Reports.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:11pm
Sucks for connections but it was in the rules

The five heats and final of the series will now be conducted under race conditions which will provide for the whip to be used no more than five times throughout the entire race. This is compared to the current rules that limit use the whip to five times prior to the 100-metre mark and unlimited use thereafter.

Accordingly, in the event a rider breaches the permitted five uses of the whip in a heat:

the rider will be fined and/or suspended (pursuant to the penalty framework outlined below) and will not be able to ride in the final of the Country Mile Race Series (if the breach occurs in a heat and they use the whip on 8 or more occasions); and

if the rider uses their whip on eight or more occasions in a heat, the horse subjected to that breach will be ineligible to compete in any further heats or the final of the Country Mile Race Series.

In the event a rider breaches the permitted five uses of the whip in the final:

the rider will be fined and/or suspended (pursuant to the below penalty framework); and
no action will be taken against the horse subjected to that breach.
Time is a flat circle
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
Thanks gents.  So there was plenty of warning.
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm
So it's a free for all in the final with no penalty to the winning horse if rules are broken? They might want to change that in future. 
longevity does not equate to credibility
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Same rules for the final
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Ohhh, never mind. I see what you meant.
Time is a flat circle
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by EnableMe EnableMe wrote:

So it's a free for all in the final with no penalty to the winning horse if rules are broken? They might want to change that in future. 

I guess so if they're willing to cop these fines & suspensions Ouch

The whip penalty framework for the Country Mile Race Series is as follows:

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:55pm
On again tonight at Pakenham R7 Smile

The 2021 Country Mile Race Series will feature the following races:

The first three placegetters in each heat will automatically qualify for the final which will be conducted as Benchmark 80 race in what is an enhancement to The All-Star Mile support program.

To be eligible horses must be prepared by a licensed country Victorian trainer being one that does not have a metropolitan stable at Flemington or Caulfield and have been in their care since 1 January 2021 as per an official stable return.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:58pm
Yendall went over at Ballarat on Sunday, was fined $1000
M Williams horse remains in final.
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:58am
No such "luck" for the owners of Translator yesterday at Wang:

"Jake Noonan (Translator) (2nd Placegetter) pleaded guilty to a charge under the provisions of AR232(b) of having failed to comply with an order, direction or requirement of the Stewards that he failed to use his whip in accordance with conditions of Race Eight today, those conditions being imposed by the Racing Victoria Board pursuant to AR151(2)[c].  In the race he rode Translator and used his whip on nine occasions, being four times over the permitted limit allowable under the relevant conditions of the race. Jake Noonan had his licence to ride in races suspended to commence midnight 2nd March 20201 to expire midnight 9th March 2021 a total of nine meetings (2 metro/7 provincial). Jake Noonan was also fined the sum of $500 and notified that he was now ineligible to ride in the final of the 2021 Country Mile Race Series. In assessing penalty Stewards took into account his guilty plea and the published penalty guidelines surrounding the 2021 Country Mile Race Series. Trainer Nigel Blackiston was notified that in accordance with conditions of the race, due to the breach of the whip rule by rider Jake Noonan, Translator is ineligible to compete in any further heats or the final of the 2021 Country Mile race Series."

Should they be asking the jockeys before the race to "hold up how many fingers is five" before they put them in the gates?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 8:53am

TWO HEADS POLICING THE RED HOTS IN TASSIE FINE A DRIVER $1,000 FOR REFUSING TO CARRY A WHIP WHAT A JOKE!

THERES a sad story that Tasmanians have two heads which of course is a joke which the majority of good people who live on the Apple Isle dont deserve.

But one could argue it certainly applies to the authorities that run the red hots in Tassie.

At a time when use of the whip at the gallops and trots is under intense scrutiny believe it or not a Tasmanian harness racing driver has been fined $1,000 for not carrying one.

Rather than LGHR explain this insane action by stewards heres an ABC RADIO report by LORETTA LOHBERGER:   

A TASMANIAN harness racing trainer and driver says he has no desire to be involved in an industry that requires drivers to carry whips when racing, and is appealing against a stewards ruling that he must carry one.

"I see what horses can do without being whipped and I don't see that inflicting pain to generate a result is necessary if you train them to the best of their ability," Gavin Kelly told ABC RADIO in HOBART.

Kelly became a harness trainer and driver two years ago and said had never used a whip while racing a horse he trained himself but at a race meet in December he was fined $1,000 for not carrying a whip.

"I was told that it was on safety grounds. I was told I have to carry a whip, I didn't have to use it from that point I haven't raced because the fines would rack up if I continued to not carry a whip."

Kelly has appealed against the ruling to the Tasmanian Racing Appeal Board.

"The laws of harness racing give stewards wide-ranging powers to make directions of participants, and I failed to follow a direction, so we're testing whether that direction was lawful," he said.

"Whether I'm right or wrong under the laws, I feel I'm most certainly right from a social conscience perspective."

He said he would not race if he was forced to carry a whip.

"I've been out of the industry since the 29th of December I don't train horses currently and I've got no desire to train them if I have to go out there and drive and carry a whip."

Kelly said he expected the legal challenge to the ruling could cost $20,000.

"I didn't take my stance to try and have the whips banned as much as that outcome would be pleasing to me, it's not my endeavour but I can't sit by and have directions whereby you're forced to carry a whip.

"And in my opinion, it sets back whip reform many, many years."

TASMANIAS Office of Racing Integrity acting director Tony Latham said he supported the steward's ruling.

"The reason why the whip is there and he doesn't have to hold it, he could have put it in his sulky just in case something happens to the horse, if it starts moving out or a safety issue, he's got that whip on hand and he can use it to direct the horse for safety reasons," Latham told ABC Radio Hobart.

"We're not saying to Mr Kelly to use it, he just needs to have it on hand we don't know how the horse is going to react during a race."

Latham said Harness Racing Australia was continually improving whip use.

"Whether it gets to whip-free I can't say," he said.

Racing Minister Jane Howlett told State Parliament she could not comment on Mr Kelly's case, citing his appeal.

She said Harness Racing Australia had previously said it would ban whips from September 1, 2017.

"HRA has reaffirmed its commitment to the removal of the use of whips in harness racing but the original implementation date was not deemed to be achievable," she said.

'If it was some bloke hitting a dog there'd be police and RSPCA there'

RSPCA Tasmania chief executive Jan Davis said she was disappointed with the Office of Racing Integrity's stance.

"Racing Victoria has already adopted a period of racing without whips, and Racing Australia has also put it on their agenda so they don't do it," Ms Davis said.

"Because of the science that we have now that shows that putting whips on horses actually doesn't improve their performance and may actually harm the way in which they race into their future.

"To be coming and putting fines on someone who's actually responding to scientific evidence and a discussion that's happening nationally, I think it's really disappointing."

Ms Davis said whip-free racing was inevitable and the RSPCA would support Mr Kelly.

"This is an opportunity, we see, for Mr Kelly to be part of a changing face of racing in Tasmania to reflect the fact that hitting horses is not something that we can tolerate in a modern society," she said.

"If it was some bloke in the street hitting a dog there'd be police and RSPCA inspectors there in five seconds flat. Just because it's called a sport doesn't mean that we should be able to harm animals."

An appeal date has not yet been set.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
Another grandstanding lardhead , been driving and training for 2 years LOLLOL the " new age guy " who can't comprehend he can put the whip up his clacker if he wants as long as it's on his " person , now the RSPCA has stuck its scientific profile head into it , what's next ? all horses to wear glue on shoes , fair dinkum.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:09pm
How much more petty can NSW get? Confused

No end in sight for RA conflict

Racing Australia is still no closer to holding its crucial board meeting as the impasse between the two biggest states remains no closer to being reconciled.

RA CEO Myles Foreman confirmed that there is no update on the situation and no date set for a board meeting to discuss significant issues.

Racing Australias February meeting was cancelled at the last minute after Racing NSW requested it not proceed, claiming Racing Victoria had breached the rules of racing after trialing whip limited racing.

And it appears that conflict is no closer to being settled.

Racing.com understands legal letters between the two states of been exchanged.

RNSW sent RV a legal letter early in the dispute, claiming they had breached the rules of racing.

The letter, Racing.com has been told, required a response by a certain date.

When a response was not received, further legal correspondence from RNSW followed.

RV would not confirm that the threat of court proceedings were contained in the correspondence.

Racing.com has previously reported in March that RNSW has called into question RVs future within Racing Australia as part of the ongoing tensions.

Neither Racing Victoria or RNSW would comment when contacted by Racing.com about resolving the matter.

RA chairman Greg Nichols also declined to comment.

But the standoff is starting to frustrate other states across the country, with little information on the path forward being provided but speculation of meetings proceeding without RNSW are premature.

Significant issues remain on the RA board table, including whip reform and the national pattern.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:15pm
Other states getting frustrated. LOL

Hilarious.

Like they count.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:36pm

Thanks djebel - from N. American thread Thumbs Up

Observations From a Whip-Free Weekend at Monmouth

at 6:50 pm | Back to: Shared News, Top News

Updated: May 31, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Jockeys walk out to the track for Monmouth's first race Friday | Bill Denver

The Week in Review, by Bill Finley

We will need a bigger sample size before being able to fully evaluate how Monmouth's experiment with whip-free racing has fared. But this much is certain: Three days in and after hysterical fomenting from the pro-whip side of the argument, the whip-less races amounted to a big nothingburger. That is to say there were no incidents, no major form reversals, no mass boycotts from the horseplayers, etc. Perhaps this was just round one in what figures to be a long, drawn-out battle that will eventually extend beyond Monmouth Park, but the anti-whippers have broken sharply from the gate and assumed a clear lead down the backstretch, all under hand urging.

Other thoughts:

(*) Handle-wise, Monmouth did not get off to a good start, but that was to be expected because of the rain, the slop, scratches and the lack of grass racing. On Sunday, the handle was $2,645,700 over 11 races, off considerably from the $3,924,465 they bet on the same day in 2019 when there were 12 races. On Saturday, they bet $2,941,677 over 12 races. On the same day in 2019, the handle was $5,891,308 for 13 races. (There were no races held over the Memorial Day weekend because of the COVID-19 shut down.)

That could mean that some bettors were reluctant to play races where no whipping was allowed, but it's more likely that the horrendous weather cost Monmouth any chance of having a good handle. If the sun shines next weekend, that would provide a clearer pictures vis a vis the handle and the whip ban's impact.

(*) Some had predicted that some owners and trainers would refuse to run at Monmouth because of the whip ban. That simply wasn't the case. You don't attract 107 entries for a 12-race card, like they did Saturday, if people are staying away. When asked if the whipping rules were having any impact on field size, racing secretary John Heims said of the Saturday card: It's not a factor and it wasn't a factor for Friday's card either.

(*) If whipping isn't OK in Thoroughbred racing in New Jersey, why is it OK in harness racing? After all, the whip ban was meant to address perceptions that horse racing is cruel to the animal. Harness drivers are very limited so far as what they can do with the whip and can no longer raise their arms above their shoulders and whack the horse. Still, if whips can't be tolerated at Monmouth then they shouldn't be tolerated at the Meadowlands.

(*) There's no doubt that other state racing commissions are watching the Monmouth races intently. If the entire meet goes as well as the first weekend did, expect other states to fall in line with whip bans of their own. Next up will almost certainly be California. In a 2020 interview with the TDN, here's what the California Horse Racing Board Executive Director had to say: I don't think jockeys should carry crops. It's not necessary. To me, it's not a safety issue. Ten years from now, if jockeys are still carrying riding crops, we've taken a wrong turn somewhere. This is a national issue and I think eventually everybody will be on board.

(*) Some predicted that the whip ban would favor frontrunners because closers couldn't be urged on by their riders with their whips. That didn't happen. With races being run over a very sloppy surface Sunday, speed horse did seem to have an advantage. But on Friday, when the surface was fast for the first race, the track was kind to off-the-pace horses. The winner of the first race closed from last and the winner of the second race was fifth out of six early. Both were running in the middle of the track in the stretch.

(*) The races were very formful. Over the three days, 15 of the 28 races were won by the favorite, for a strike rate of 53.6%. The entire time, only one horse paid more than $20. While that obviously had something to do with the small fields, it was also pretty strong evidence that a whip ban does not lead to strange results.

(*) Will the whip ban cause a reshuffling of the deck when it comes to the jockeys? Riders who rely more on their finesse and smarts rather than brute strength should do better. It's worth noting that Dylan Davis (3-for-8, 38%) got off to a big start. Riding for many of the top New York outfits, like Chad Brown, Davis could have a huge meet. These were Davis's first mounts since a Mar. 20 spill.

(*) While there were no serious incidents on the racetrack, there was at least one example where the lack of a whip could have caused a difference. In Saturday's sixth race, Charge Account (Take Charge Indy) clearly pulled herself up before the wire. But she was so far in front that it didn't matter. She won by 7 1/4 lengths. But what if she had done the same while battling another to the wire and lost? If he was able to use a whip, could jockey Nik Juarez have gotten the filly to get her mind back on business?

(*) It was interesting to see that so many riders declined to carry the whip, which is still allowed for safety purposes. Those jockeys clearly didn't want to take any chance that they'd revert to old habits and hit the horse, not when doing so would result in a $500 fine and a five-day suspension. It changed over the weekend and by Sunday, the majority of riders were carrying the whip. But, from a perception standpoint, the damage had already been done. If whips are so necessary for safety reasons, how can it be that so many riders chose not to use one when one was available to them?

(*) After all their fussing and saber-rattling, the Monmouth jockeys showed that they're not a unified group. Only two jockeysJoe Bravo and Antonio Gallardodeclined to ride. It will be interesting to see if either Bravo or Gallardo have a change of heart and return.

(*) Yes, this was a difficult, volatile situation, but Monmouth's threats of suing jockeys and banning anyone who refused to ride, were, to say the least, over the top.

(*) Jockey Christian Navarro won with his first two mounts on Friday. It marked the first time he had ridden since July 26, 2019, when he rode at Camarero in Puerto Rico.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:27pm
Here we go again Angry

PETA files charges in court over whipping of horses in case against Tasracing and an Australian jockey

An animal rights organisation has filed criminal charges against Tasmania's peak racing body and a jockey in the hope it can outlaw the use of whips during horse races in the state.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is alleging that whipping, as it is currently allowed by Tasracing, is a form of animal cruelty under Tasmania's Animal Welfare Act 1993.

In a test case, the organisation has filed 14 charges against Tasracing and an Australian jockey for using a whip according to racing standards in two races at Mowbray in Launceston in 2019.

The charges filed against the jockey allege that by whipping the horses during the races, the jockey "caused and was likely to cause unreasonable and unjustifiable pain and suffering to the horses".

The charges against Tasracing focus on the fact the racing body allowed the whipping of horses in races.

In the documents, PETA alleges that in organising the races in accordance with rules that allow horses to be whipped, and organising the participation of the jockey, Tasracing "enabled, aided, abetted and instigated" the jockey to whip the horses, which was an act of animal cruelty. 

PETA does not allege the jockey or Tasracing permitted excessive whipping or anything in breach of the Australian rules.

The aim of the test case is to prove that standard whipping, as allowed by Australian racing rules, is in contradiction with Tasmania's Animal Welfare Act 1993.

If successful, PETA hopes it will mean a ban on whipping in races across the state.

'No way' animal can avoid the pain

Australian Rules of Racing permit the use of the whip a maximum of five times in non-consecutive strides prior to the 100-metre mark and at the rider's discretion after that.

Some jurisdictions argue the use of a whip in thoroughbred racing is a vital tool, which does not hurt the horse, but not everyone agrees.

Racing Victoria has taken a stance against the use of whips during thoroughbred races and last year called for national reform, saying the "current national whip rules are no longer appropriate".

It wants the industry to transition to an "ultimate prohibition" on the use of whips for "purposes other than to protect the safety of horses and jockeys".

Earlier this year, it undertook trials limiting the use of whips. It has not, however, taken it upon itself to ban whips.

Racing Australia has also been undertaking a review of the national whip rules, although the findings have yet to be released.

In November 2020, a scientific paper claimed horses have the "capability to feel as much pain from whipping as humans".

The study by Paul McGreevy, the Professor of Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare Science at the University of Sydney, found "humans and horses have the equivalent basic anatomic structures to detect pain in skin".

Andrew McLean, who has a PhD in horse behaviour and a background in equestrian, said horses experienced very similar pain to humans and so it could be assumed that being whipped during races was painful.

"It's very hard to study that the pain during the galloping during the race, but it is highly likely," he said.

"It can't switch the whip off by doing anything. Often it can't go faster."

Tasracing says any proceedings will be 'vigorously defended'

In court, PETA will try to prove that horses can feel pain from whipping, meaning it is a form of animal cruelty under Tasmania's Animal Welfare Act.

RSPCA Tasmania CEO Jan Davis said there was nothing in the animal welfare regulations that exempted horses from the definition of "harmful treatment".

The RSPCA prosecutes the majority of animal cruelty cases in the state and is openly anti-whip in racing. It believes the case stands a chance.

"We think this is a good move from PETA to test the regulations and hold the industry accountable," Ms Davis said.

If PETA cannot prove that using a whip in the standard way during racing causes unreasonable or unjustifiable pain or suffering to an animal, it has another option to fall back on.

It needs to prove that the act of whipping a horse is "likely" to cause unreasonable and unjustifiable pain". 

Tasmania is the only jurisdiction in Australia that includes these words in its animal welfare legislation, making it the perfect test arena.

If PETA does win its case, a ruling that whipping horses in races is illegal would still require a body to prosecute those doing it.

In a statement, a Tasracing spokesperson said the body had no knowledge of anything being filed in the court, which made it difficult to comment on the matters being raised.

"Importantly, Tasracing complies with the Australian Rules of Racing in full which govern racing and conduct of races," it said. 

"In Tasmania, these rules are overseen by the stewards of the Office of Racing Integrity.

"Naturally, any proceedings instituted will be vigorously defended."

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:04pm
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 3:51pm
Excerpt from Racenet/Bruce Clark Matt Hoysted flying the flag for legendary racing dynasty: He sure was ahead of his time!

It was at Flemington in February 1966, the Fulham Hurdle – despite over 1000 winners across a 30-year career Wally Hoysted walked onto the track with a double-barreled shotgun.

From a report of the day: "He fired a cartridge in the air and threatened to use the gun on the jockeys if they went out armed with whips in the hurdle race. The stand-off lasted roughly 16 minutes. It ended with Hoysted, a former jockey, being taken away by the police after an official of the Victoria Racing Club gave him a stern talking to."

Hoysted was pre-RSPCA an animal activist. He would drive an old milk truck around Melbourne with the names of Saturday's winners emblazoned across the side and a number, not their SP but the number of times they had been whipped.

"I gave a lot of thought before taking a shotgun to the races," Hoysted was quoted at the time. "I didn't want to make a fool of myself. Horses feel pain like any human."

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:25pm
Riders are very tame today compared to days gone by , and it appears they have taken note ( it's the parting of the $$$$ that's hurts ) Cry "Willo" , Kah, Alana Kelly ( hits backhand ) McNiel, and others riding hand n heels to the post , Sydney have backed of too, brother Hoysted was close to an idiot , his elder brother and number 1 trainer "Father" Fred Hoysted was a gentleman , plenty of nutters about , was that bloke at Canberra a nutter / didn't like planes , or was it a cry for "Help ". 
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:28pm
Wally Hoysted was a complete lunatic. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:50pm
Fred was born in Wangaratta, son of dynasty beginner Harry.  Renee Hoysted now trains there.  

In between Tib, a couple of Mick's, Hal, Roger etc etc: about 7 or 8 generations worth.  Famous racing family indeed.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:53pm
And of course race caller Des.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 11:52am

Germany tightens whip rules

German thoroughbred regulatory authority Deutscher Galopp have sensationally revised their whip rules ahead of the new year, introducing hefty punishments for jockeys who breach stricter guidelines.

A general meeting of Deutscher Galopp members last week agreed to tighten whip regulations, reducing the permissible limit of five strokes per race to just three.

Jockeys who exceed the five stroke limit currently receive an automatic 14-day suspension and deduction of prizemoney accrued from the race.

However, the penalties for jockeys who fail to adhere to the three-strike whip limit in Germany will miss chunks of the European flat season with a drastic sliding scale penalty structure.

Using the whip four times will trigger an automatic 14-day suspension while the presently permissible five strikes will incur a 42-day suspension across German racetracks in 2023.

Jockeys who use the whip six times in a race next year will miss 84 days while riders identified as using the whip seven or more times will be suspended for 168 days – more than five months.

European riders based outside of Germany have expressed their reluctance to ride in German feature races, the latest move may see fewer riders travel for their marquee Sunday fixtures.

Deutscher Galopp announced that prizemoney for the 2023 Grosser Preis von Baden (2400m) in September would be doubled to €400,000 but don’t expect Frankie Dettori or Tadgh O’Shea to be rushing back after receiving 14-day suspensions from this year’s fixture.

Dettori used the whip six times, once more than required, when runner-up on Torquator Tasso in the Grosser Preis von Baden, almost resulting in him missing the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

O’Shea was also banned for two weeks in controversial circumstances in an Arabian race on the Baden-Baden undercard.

"Three and a half furlongs (700 metres) out, I'm three-parts of a length down (aboard Ekleel Athbah) on Andre de Vries (riding Jarif), who is the favourite and the main danger, so I'm keeping tabs on him,” O’Shea explained to the Racing Post.

"Something on his inside barges out and gives him a bump and in turn throws my filly out to the middle of the track with three and a half furlongs left to run. So I gave her a slap on the shoulder just to get her rebalanced.

"The race went on and between two furlongs out (400 metres) and the winning post, I used the whip correctly five times. I put it away in the last 150 yards, finishing second and was no match to the winner (Queenshala).

Queenshala 🐎 5yo mare, Al Mamun Monlau - Al Ramtha (Amer) won the Gr.2 The President of the United Arab Emirates Cup at Iffezheim, Baden-Baden🇩🇪

Owned by Sheikh Abdullah Bin Khalifa Al Thani
Trained by J. de Mieulle @jeandemieulle
Ridden by O. D'andigne@ARO_Racing @TheAJClub pic.twitter.com/N87yDufOR5

— Ernur İnanç (@ErnurInanc) September 4, 2022

"I was surprised when I was called in by the stewards, but I explained my case and the stewards on the day agreed with me. I explained the slap down the shoulder which you're counting as one over was for corrective measures, which is why you're supposed to have the whip in the first place.

"As riders we're taught the way to get a horse rebalanced is a tap down the shoulder and get them organised."

O’Shea said the stewards, whilst understanding the reason for giving his horse a slap down the shoulder, explained there was no leeway in the rules and handed him the minimum ban of 14 days.

"I know one thing, I won't be going back to Germany in a hurry. Common sense should have prevailed. They've seen themselves exactly what's happened,” O’Shea said.

Irish born, British-based apprentice Ross Coakley paid dearly for winning his first Group race in Germany at Baden-Baden, just a week prior to Dettori and O’Shea’s experience, suspended for 23 days for using the whip nine times.

Coakley used the whip four times but was adjudged by stewards to have used the whip a further five times as when riding his horse along with reins in hand, his whip making unintentional contact with the shoulder of his winning mount Dubawi Legend.

WORLDWIDE WHIP RULES

Germany: Jockeys are limited to no more than three strikes during the entire race. If horse is contacted by whip with jockey’s hands on the reins is still classed as a strike.

France: Jockeys are limited to no more than five strikes during the entire race.

Britain: Jockeys must use the whip in the backhand position only, with seven strikes permitted for the entire race.

Ireland: Jockeys are limited to no more than eight strikes during the entire race.

Australia: Five non-consecutive strikes before the 100-metre mark, unlimited thereafter, with steward discretion also applicable to determine whether totality of whip use was appropriate.

South Africa: Jockeys are limited to no more than twelve strikes during the entire race.

Japan, Hong Kong & Singapore: No set number, officials use discretion to determine whether whip use was improper, excessive, unnecessary or inappropriate.

Norway & Sweden: Whip use for encouragement has been banned in Norway since 1982 while Sweden followed suit in April 2022.

United States of America: There are no uniform rules across the country. The whip is banned for encouragement in New Jersey, six strikes per race is permitted in California while many other states adjudicate on a discretionary basis.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 11:59am
Strict!
Time is a flat circle
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:16pm
A " slap " down the shoulder while you have the reins in your hands 😂😂 , it's nothing more than a Tap , fair dinkum , where are we heading , if racing Really want to do something positive , stop the f...King 24 hour barrage of betting adds on our TVs , even when your watching a doc. on the Grand Canyon ! 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:26pm
Don't see Johnny Allen or Froggy Newitt riding in Germany any time soon.  Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:38pm
They'd adapt.

All the Jockeys seem quite capable of adapting to being locked up approaching race day when they ride in Japan.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>