Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

How many race tracks have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many race tracks have you been to?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 4:02pm
How many race tracks have forum members been to? (To attend a race meeting).

I can count 34 different tracks:

Vic 3: Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley
Tas 3: Elwick, Mowbray, Spreyton
WA 1: Belmont
NSW 25: Randwick, Warwick Farm, Wyong, Newcastle, Cessnock, Scone, Muswellbrook, Gundagai, Tumut, Narrandera, Griffith, Hay, Leeton, Albury, Holbrook, Wagga, Cootamundra, Goulburn, Taree, Port Maquarie, Tuncurry, Kempsey, Bowraville, Grafton, Trangie
Europe 2: Chantilly, Epsom.

Have been to a few other tracks and training centres but not on raceday.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:37pm
think i can agree with all the NSW ones.  Except for Narrandera Griffith and Hay.  Not been there .
Done all 3 Melb ones.  
  Add on Coonabarabran,, Tamworth,  Quirindi,   Walcha,  Gosford,  Queanbyean ,  Canberra,  Mudgee,  Gulgong,  Tabbill Creek,  Merriwa,  Coffs Harbour,  Grafton,  Canterbury,  Dubbo,  Orange,   Bathurst , Armidale,   Louth,   Bong Bong,   Narromine,  Nowra, 
Gold Coast, Sapphire Coast.  Eagle Farm.
Royal Ascot.  Chantilly.  Lexington.  Louisville.   Newmarket.  Huntingdon.  Curragh.  Naas.
From memory.

animals before people.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:50am
Originally posted by lotto7 lotto7 wrote:

NSW 25: Randwick, Warwick Farm, Wyong, Newcastle, Cessnock, Scone, Muswellbrook, Gundagai, Tumut, Narrandera, Griffith, Hay, Leeton, Albury, Holbrook, Wagga, Cootamundra, Goulburn, Taree, Port Maquarie, Tuncurry, Kempsey, Bowraville, Grafton, Trangie

Make that 36 as I forgot Kembla Grange and Nowra. May be easier AA for you to list the NSW tracks you have NOT been to.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:52am

Make that 36 as I forgot Kembla Grange and Nowra. May be easier AA for you to list the NSW tracks you have NOT been to.

Forgot another one now in Ballina making it 37. Can remember the day as Jubilee Walk raced in Sydney and was a beaten favourite.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:37am
Might have missed a couple, however:

Victoria (31):

Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Sandown, Alexander, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Benalla, Bendigo, Casterton, Coleraine, Cranbourne, Echuca, Geelong, Tatura, Hamilton, Kilmore, Kyneton, Mansfield, Mornington, Pakenham, Sale, Seymour, Stoney Creek, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Warrnambool, Werribee, Wodonga, Yarra Glen.

NSW/ACT (25)

Randwick, Rosehill, Warwick Farm, Albury, Bega, Berrigan, Canberra, Corowa, Cowra, Goulburn, Gulgong, Gundagai, Jerilderie, Kembla Grange, Moruya, Mudgee, Pambula, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Wagga, Wellington, Yass.

South Australia (3)

Morphettville, Cheltenham, Hawker.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 11:28am
A few more I forgot.
Belmont ( WA ) .  Kalgoorlie  ( Spelling ?? )   Longchamp. ( Altho not to the races just to tour it ) .   Fannie Bay.   Lone Star Park ( Texas ).   Adaminaby.   Cooma.   Kembla Grange.   The old track at Moruya. Nashville ( altho its not called that and I cant remember its name , its like a one off picnic meeting.) 

One place I have always wanted to go is the Ebor meeting at York.  One day maybe.

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 11:30am

Bowraville LOL Now there is one short straight hey !!
animals before people.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Victoria (31):

Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Sandown, Alexander, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Benalla, Bendigo, Casterton, Coleraine, Cranbourne, Echuca, Geelong, Tatura, Hamilton, Kilmore, Kyneton, Mansfield, Mornington, Pakenham, Sale, Seymour, Stoney Creek, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Warrnambool, Werribee, Wodonga, Yarra Glen.

NSW/ACT (25)

Randwick, Rosehill, Warwick Farm, Albury, Bega, Berrigan, Canberra, Corowa, Cowra, Goulburn, Gulgong, Gundagai, Jerilderie, Kembla Grange, Moruya, Mudgee, Pambula, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Wagga, Wellington, Yass.

South Australia (3)

Would have loved to get to a meeting at Tumbarumba. Was told a story a couple of years back of a Cup meeting in the 70's when the wrong stable runner was leading but the jockeys sorted it out when they disappeared out of sight down the dip and all was right when they came back into view. LOL. It was the jockey who told me this so don't doubt the authenticity. Tumut is a great meeting on Boxing Day under the trees although it has been many years since I have been to a meeting there. Hard to go past Chantilly as one of the most scenic tracks I have been to. Absolutely breathtaking.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Bowraville LOL Now there is one short straight hey !!

Certainly is AA. You don't want to be too far off the pace when they turn for home.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:22pm
Oh, and dont forget Wallabadah on New years Day !   Now thats one good time !!
You must go to that one, Lotto.  There is a cracking great hill they come down into the turn for home, and dust flying everywhere .
Chantilly !  OMG so beautiful !   Did you go on Oaks Day ??  And did you get to visit the Museum Of The Horse and the Chateau as well ?  The whole place is stunning isnt it !
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:29pm

Victoria (31):

NSW/ACT (25)

South Australia (3)

Add Bungendore. How could I forget, they had a 5 mile or so race for Arabs, and one of ours ran an eye catching 4th of 5 in a Picnic maiden. 

And yes Lotto, The big trees at Tumut are a real God-send, whilst I could well believe your Tumbarumba story given its up and down circuit!
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:36pm

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font face="Times New Roman"><?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:state><st1:place><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US">Victoria</span></st1:place></st1:state><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"> (31):<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span>

<font size="1" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"><o:p><font size="1" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Flemington,
Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Sandown, Alexander, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Benalla,
Bendigo, Casterton, Coleraine, Cranbourne, Echuca, Geelong, Tatura, Hamilton,
Kilmore, Kyneton, Mansfield, Mornington, Pakenham, Sale, Seymour, Stoney Creek,
Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Warrnambool, Werribee, Wodonga, Yarra Glen.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"><o:p><font size="1" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">NSW/ACT (25)<o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Randwick,
Rosehill, Warwick Farm, Albury, Bega, Berrigan, Canberra, Corowa, Cowra,
Goulburn, Gulgong, Gundagai, Jerilderie, Kembla Grange, Moruya, Mudgee, Pambula,
Parkes, Queanbeyan, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Wagga, Wellington, Yass.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font face="Times New Roman"><st1:state><st1:place><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US">South Australia</span></st1:place></st1:state><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US"> (3)<o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font face="Times New Roman"><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US">Morphettville,
</span><st1:place><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US">Cheltenham</span></st1:place><span style="mso-ansi-: EN-US;" lang="EN-US">, Hawker.  </span>

Add Bungendore. How could I forget, they had a 5 mile or so race for Arabs, and one of ours ran an eye catching 4th of 5 in a Picnic maiden. 

And yes Lotto, The big trees at Tumut are a real God-send, whilst I could well believe your Tumbarumba story given its up and down circuit!

Surprised you havent been to 'Hanging Rock
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:40pm
Never had one good enough. 

Actually we were going one year however we heard the meeting was abandoned because they couldn't get a large herd of kangaroos off the track.  Confused
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:54pm
I count 31, mostly Southern NSW, includes a few wonderful little picnic tracks. Ardlethan, Cootamundra, Lockhart. Always a fun day out.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:11pm
Its interesting hearing where everyone has been .
There must be some here have done Honkers , Sha Tin etc ??
animals before people.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:34pm

Went To Happy Valley one night , weird experience , they all start yelling at the top of the straight. When walking around the place all they wanted to do was stare at my wifes tits lol
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Went To Happy Valley one night , weird experience , they all start yelling at the top of the straight. When walking around the place all they wanted to do was stare at my wifes tits lol

I just came back from a holiday in asia. I completely understand why they do that. LOL
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Dizzy Dizzy wrote:

I count 31, mostly Southern NSW, includes a few wonderful little picnic tracks. Ardlethan, Cootamundra, Lockhart. Always a fun day out.

Also have Picnic Races at Harden, Boorowa, Young, Grenfell and a few other tracks around southern NSW although I have not been to a meeting at those tracks. How long have they raced at Lockhart? They also used to race at Culcairn and there is a little history in the pub about the racing club which now holds its Cup meeting at Holbrook. Speaking of Cootamundra did you know Just A Dash won the Coota Cup before he went on to win the Melbourne Cup? Probably the only horse to achieve that double!
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:45pm

Victoria (31):

NSW/ACT (25)

South Australia (3)

Speaking of Tumbarumba, it is the only course that I know of in NSW that races the Victorian way. Anyone know of any other tracks that race the opposite way of going to other courses in the same state?
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:48pm

Also have Picnic Races at Harden, Boorowa, Young, Grenfell and a few other tracks around southern NSW although I have not been to a meeting at those tracks. How long have they raced at Lockhart? They also used to race at Culcairn and there is a little history in the pub about the racing club which now holds its Cup meeting at Holbrook. Speaking of Cootamundra did you know Just A Dash won the Coota Cup before he went on to win the Melbourne Cup? Probably the only horse to achieve that double!

And have been to them all lotto7. Big smile Just a Dash, yes I knew and not sure about Lockhart, I would have to look it up. I think it is either Lockhart or Ardlethan where the race course is actually around a paddock! Only running rail for part of the track. LOL Horses have run off it out into the distance...
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:53pm

And have been to them all lotto7. Big smile Just a Dash, yes I knew and not sure about Lockhart, I would have to look it up. I think it is either Lockhart or Ardlethan where the race course is actually around a paddock! Only running rail for part of the track. LOL Horses have run off it out into the distance...

Know a fellow who catches the train from Cootamundra to the Ardlethan picnics and reckons it is a great day. Used to stop at the Ariah Park hotel but I think that may be closed now. Appears as though the picnics are making a bit of a comeback and I think it is great they can have their annual race meeting. Wish I could get to a few more.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:55pm
I was always working when I went - but they were so much fun. And the paddock is Ardlethan Picnics.

Like you, I should try to get to them - without a horse to strap!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 4:18pm
Oh yes, another one you mentioned .  T he Grenfell Guineas . Stayed in a pub there and sat next to Pauline Hanson in the breakfast place .
I like Muswellbrook as its got lots of nice shady trees and plenty of places to sit.  The PA system at Scone leaves a bit to be desired.
I didnt know that about Just A Dash !
Ha ha Noccy !  Thats funny !! 
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:27pm
I'm going to the Balranald races this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Not bad fields either
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:58pm
International: Epsom, Newmarket, Aintree, Churchill Downs, Happy Valley, Sha Tin, Kranji

Australian: Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Sandown, Werribee, Yarra Glen, Sapphire Coast, Kyneton, Warrnambool, Hanging Rock, Kilmore, Pakenham

That's all I can think of at the moment..
Mayor
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:06pm
Interesting question...

International: Epsom, Ascot, Cheltenham, Aintree, Limerick, The Curragh, Meydan, Veliefendi, Sha Tin, Happy Valley, Hanshin, Kranji, Ellerslie, Arlington, Del Mar

Australia: Flemington, Caulfield, Moonee Valley, Warrnambool, Ballarat, Rosehill, Randwick, Canterbury, Warwick Farm, Gosford, Wyong, Newcastle, Kembla Grange, Nowra, Sapphire Coast, Bathurst, Orange, Gold Coast, Eagle Farm, Sunshine Coast
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 8:50am

Oh, and dont forget Wallabadah on New years Day !   Now thats one good time !!
You must go to that one, Lotto.  There is a cracking great hill they come down into the turn for home, and dust flying everywhere .
Chantilly !  OMG so beautiful !   Did you go on Oaks Day ??  And did you get to visit the Museum Of The Horse and the Chateau as well ?  The whole place is stunning isnt it !

Did not go to the Chateau but did visit the Museum of the Horse. Wasn't an Oaks meeting I went to just an ordinary meeting. Had a talk to some of the trainers and they were very giving of their time. There was an old guy there painting the scene from the mounting yard on the race form guide. I kept an eye on how he was progressing and my one regret from the trip is that I did not buy the painting. It would have been a wonderful keepsake from the day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:24pm
That painting would have been wonderful to have .  What a shame you didnt get it, lotto.
We went Oaks day and it was so colourful and vibrant.  Some of the people walking the horses in the yard surrounded by the stables cracked me up.  Ladies dressed to the nines in fascinators and all,,,and wellies !
They ran out of beer at the bar near us.  And we got to say Hi to the Aga Khan !  
The chateau has a wonderful art collection .  
And can you believe it.  We went walking thru the town the next day and here was this lovely dress shop, with a great outfit in Black Caviar colours, which fitted one of my friends ! 
The forest where they worked the horses was just amazing ,,,so so beautiful.
animals before people.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:42pm
Never been to Cheltenham or Newmarket.  The latter is a bit weird, as I lived in London for about 25 years.

Kempton, Ascot, Epsom, Sandown, Folkestone, Haydock, Doncaster, York, Goodwood, Saint Cloud, Longchamp, Lingfield.

Back in about 1976-1978, my dad took me to Wye.  He must've been using one of those fixture lists from the New Year, because the racecourse had been shut down.  LOL  He never did talk all that much, and we spent the day travelling around East Kent.  A bit weird, I thought he was trying to lose me, like a dog.

I also lived near the closed down Alexander Palace for a couple of years, and used to walk round the frying pan circuit.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:49pm
I had a good mate lived on the back stretch of Newbury.   Just walk thru a small gate and onto the track.   I spent hours walking around there with her dogs, but never made it to an actual race meeting there .
Where was Alexander Palace,  Geraldo ??
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>