Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

American Pharoah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Pharoah
    Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:29pm

Coolmore secure American Pharoah breeding rights

American Pharoah

American Pharoah plowing through the mud to take out the Preakness Stakes

The breeding rights to emerging racetrack sensation American Pharoah have been sold to global breeding empire Coolmore Stud.

The Triple Crown-bound colt has taken America by storm this season with dominant victories in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes.

Should the home-bred son of Pioneerof The Nile continue his winning run in the Belmont Stakes next month in New York, he will become just the 12th colt to win the prestigious American Triple Crown and the first since Affirmed in 1978.

American Pharoah will continue to race in the colours of owner Ahmed Zayat until the end of his three-year-old season when he is expected to retire.

“Whatever happens in the Belmont, American Pharoah is an outstanding sire prospect and we’re very grateful to the Zayat family for entrusting us with his stallion career,” said Coolmore Ashford Stud Manager, Dermot Ryan, in a release on coolmore.com.

“He’s already a champion two-year-old and has won his first four starts at three by over 20 lengths. It’s very exciting to think about how much more he might achieve.”

Coolmore secured the breeding rights for an undisclosed amount.

A $300,000 yearling purchase at the Fasig-Tiptopn Saratoga sale, American Pharoah was named US Champion two-year-old on the back of wins in the Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity and FrontRunner Stakes last year.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:54pm
Recon he'd come to oz?

sweetvictory View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetvictory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:31pm
Hopefully not.. He should shuttle to Argentina or Chile where he will probably end up..
3..2..1..Big rocket go now!
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:42pm
Not that too many have been tried in Australia, but a Kentucky Derby winner has never worked out here.
willow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:23am
Which one's have come here?
I know Super Saver came for one year, but they would only be 2yo's
wouldn't they?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:27am
Year by year list of winners:
http://horseracing.about.com/od/history/l/blderbywin.htm

Big Brown
Street Sense
Smarty Jones???
Fusaichi Pegasos
Real Quiet
Thunder Gulch
Spectacular Bid ???
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:35am
Thunder Gulch To be next top broodmare sire.....why not some of the other Derby Winners would happily stock my paddocks with fillies by any one of them 😄
Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:09pm
Animal Kingdom
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:41pm
I love Animal Kingdom & what a type getter
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 12:48pm
Pioneerof the Nile, sire of American Pharoah passed away yesterday aged 13...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:49pm
Where did Pioneer Of The Nile stand, Brudder ??  What happened to him ?
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:59pm
Winstar Farm.  From Wiki:

WinStar Farm is an American Thoroughbred horse breeding and racing farm near Versailles, Kentucky, owned by Kenny Troutt.[1] It is the owner of Justify, winner of the 2018 Triple Crown, along with Super Saver, winner of the 2010 Kentucky DerbyDrosselmeyer, winner of the 2010 Belmont Stakes; and Creator, winner of the 2016 Belmont Stakes.

It stands several notable stallions, including Tiznow, Distorted Humor and Pioneerof the Nile, sire of American Pharoah. WinStar Farm won the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Owner in 2010 and also won the Outstanding Breeder award in 2016.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:28pm
Thank You SC.  Would he have been there in 2013 or moved there from elsewhere do you think ?    Its just that I am racking my brain trying to think if I saw him there or not .  I am a bitWacko but pretty sure I didnt or I would have photos. Confused
animals before people.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:57pm
He moved there for the 2013 season I believe aa
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:49pm
Thank You TJ.   Prolly wasnt there when I was, then.  It gets to a point when you see dozens of stallions they all start to look the same Cry
animals before people.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:02pm

Pioneerof the Nile Dead at 13

10.7K118
Monday, March 18, 2019 at 12:24 pm | Back to: Top News, Top News Europe

Updated: March 18, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Pioneerof the Nile WinStar Farm

Multiple Grade I winner and star stallion Pioneerof the Nile (Empire Maker–Star of Goshen, by Lord At War {Arg}), perhaps best known for siring 2015 Triple Crown winner American Pharoah, has died suddenly at the age of 13, WinStar Farm announced. According to the farm, Pioneerof the Nile bred a mare Monday morning and started acting uncomfortable once he was back in his stall. He was en route to the clinic when he died.

“We are all extremely saddened by the loss of Pioneerof the Nile,” said WinStar Farm’s Elliott Walden. “He was a superior physical specimen, a Triple Crown sire, and a unique personality. All of us at WinStar are heartbroken.”

Bred and owned by Zayat Stables during his racing career, Pioneerof the Nile won both the 2008 GI CashCall Futurity and GI Santa Anita Derby and was runner-up in the 2009 GI Kentucky Derby. He entered stud at Vinery in 2010 and spent three years there before transferring to WinStar in 2013. He was a perennially among the leading sires and was represented by Eclipse 2-Year-Old champion Classic Empire in 2016.

Ahmed Zayat made his first foray into horse racing in 2005 and Pioneerof the Nile was at the forefront of his family’s breeding operation. It was that year that Zayat purchased his first broodmare, Star of Goshen, carrying the future Grade I winner.

Zayat took to twitter Monday to express his grief at the passing of his first homebred.

Fasig-Tipton

“I’m incredibly shocked and saddened by the sudden loss of my Pioneer of the Nile,” Zayat tweeted. “He was not only my first homebred he was one of my GREATEST. He was the proud father of American Pharoah and a true sire of sires. Pioneerof the Nile will be greatly missed by all of us here at Zayat Stables and by all of the racing and breeding world. Thank you to Bob Baffert for training him, thank you to WinStar Farm for standing him and caring for him these last years. He is gone way too soon, but never to be forgotten. It truly does take a Pioneer.”

Zayat’s son Justin echoed his father’s sentiments.

“I’m stunned and hurting from this news,” Justin Zayat tweeted. “It’s hard to even put into words what Pioneerof the Nile meant to me and to my family. He was the first horse we ever bred, who then became a stallion himself siring our Triple Crown champ American Pharoah. Pioneerof the Nile had true world-class intelligence, athleticism and personality. Thank you for all the victories, memories, and game-changing success you created for me, my family, and for the lives of everyone you touched.”

Pioneerof the Nile gave his first hint of talent on the racetrack with a third-place finish in the 2008 Lane’s End Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland. Fifth behind Midshipman in the GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, he concluded his juvenile campaign with a win in the GI CashCall Futurity. He proved he was Triple Crown material when opening 2009 with three straight wins on the West Coast, taking the GII Robert B. Lewis S. and GII San Felipe S. before heading to Louisville with a one-length victory in the GI Santa Anita Derby. The dark bay looked like a likely winner at the head of the Churchill stretch on the first Saturday in May, but passed late by longshot Mine that Bird. Pioneerof the Nile was eased in the GI Preakness S. and was retired that July with soft tissue injury to his left front leg.

Pioneerof the Nile began his stud career at Vinery in 2010 before moving to WinStar in 2013. His initial stud fee at WinStar was $15,000. By 2019, with the stallion already represented by four champions and 11 graded stakes winners, it had soared to $110,000.

In addition to American Pharoah and Classic Empire, Pioneerof the Nile was also represented on the track by 2016 GI Shoemaker Mile S. winner Midnight Storm and 2014 GII Holy Bull S. winner Cairo Prince. His progeny have grossed over $35 million to date.

“He was nothing short of perfect,” said Tom Ryan of S.F. Bloodstock, a committed shareholder in the stallion. “A brilliant racehorse, a generational influence, and a cool customer. He started at the bottom and leaves an indelible mark on our industry. My heart goes out to [WinStar stallion manager] Larry [McGinnis] and his team who cared for Pioneerof the Nile every day at WinStar Farm.”

In the sales ring, Pioneerof the Nile was represented by three million-dollar sales in 2018. His weanling daughter out of Stopchargingmaria (Tale of the Cat) sold for $1.9 million to Mandy Pope’s Whisper Hill Farm at last year’s Fasig-Tipton November sale. A colt out of Pomeroy’s Pistol (Pomeroy) brought $1 million from Albaugh Family and Spendthrift at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale and a filly out of Graeme Six (Graeme Hall) sold for $1.05 million to bloodstock agent Shawn Dugan at the same auction.

During last week’s OBS March sale, Larry Best’s OXO Equine purchased colt by the sire out of Golden Artemis (Malibu Moon) for $1.2 million. Pioneerof the Nile also was represented by seven-figure juveniles at the 2016 Fasig-Tipton Florida sale and at the 2017 OBS March sale.

Pioneerof the Nile’s young graded-stakes winning sons have already made an impact in the sales ring. Triple Crown winner American Pharoah was represented by five seven-figure sales from his first crop at the yearling auctions last fall and he also had a weanling filly and a short yearling colt bring $1 million last winter. He towered over his fellow first-crop sires, with 67 yearlings selling for an average of $467,307 and he was the third overall leading sire at the Keeneland September sale.

The first crop of multiple graded stakes winner Cairo Prince was also popular in the sales ring. Led by a colt selling for $900,000 at the 2017 Keeneland September sale, Cairo Prince was the year’s second-leading first crop sire of yearlings. From his first 2-year-olds to hit the track, Cairo Prince was represented by graded stakes winner Cairo Cat, stakes winners Mihos, Giza Goddess, and Marquee Prince, as well as graded placed Pakhet.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:27pm
Thanks Flight .  Very interesting read.
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:20pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:20pm
MAVEN (USA)Chestnut colt 2017 
American Pharoah
Bay 2012
Pioneerof the Nile
Bay or brown 2006
Empire Maker
Bay or brown 2000
Unbridled
Bay 1987
Fappiano
Gana Facil
16-a
1-r
Toussaud
Bay or brown 1989
El Gran Senor
Image of Reality
8-f
6-d
Star of Goshen
Bay 1994
Lord at War
Chestnut 1980
General
Luna de Miel
1-w
19-c
Castle Eight
Bay 1984
Key to the Kingdom
Her Native
2-n
21-a
Littleprincessemma
Chestnut 2006
Yankee Gentleman
Bay 1999
Storm Cat
Bay or brown 1983
Storm Bird
Terlingua
4-j
8-c
Key Phrase
Chestnut 1991
Flying Paster
Sown
22>
19>
Exclusive Rosette
Chestnut 1993
Ecliptical
Chestnut 1982
Exclusive Native
Minnetonka
10-a
9-c
Zetta Jet
Bay 1984
Tri Jet
Queen Zetta
20-c
14>
Richies Party Girl
Bay or brown 2011
Any Given Saturday
Bay or brown 2004
Distorted Humor
Chestnut 1993
Forty Niner
Chestnut 1985
Mr Prospector
File
13-c
1-n
Danzig's Beauty
Bay 1987
Danzig
Sweetest Chant
7-a
9-f
Weekend in Indy
Bay 1995
A P Indy
Bay or brown 1989
Seattle Slew
Weekend Surprise
13-c
3-l
Whow
Brown 1985
Spectacular Bid
Hooplah
2-d
3-o
Very Special Lite
Bay or brown 1990
Majestic Light
Bay 1973
Majestic Prince
Chestnut 1966
Raise a Native
Gay Hostess
8-f
4-d
Irradiate
Grey 1966
Ribot
High Voltage
4-l
8-c
Very Special Lady
Bay or brown 1976
Buckpasser
Bay 1963
Tom Fool
Busanda
3-j
1-s
Midway Island
Bay 1965
Turn-To
Sail Navy
1-w
7-c
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:35pm
I can't work this boy out.  From a very unfashionable sire who didn't leave much from a mare who literally produced him from a pedigree which is ?? if the stud book only putting a short bit in means anything.  Where did he come from.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:06pm
For those of us who haven't a clue Confused

American Pharoah Colt Maven Unsold At Goffs, Expected For Thursday Start At Royal Ascot

by Paulick Report Staff | 06.17.2019 | 5:13pm
Maven breaks his maiden at Aqueduct

Richard Ravin's Maven made news as American Pharoah's first winner in North America back in April at Aqueduct, and now the 2-year-old colt is scheduled to start in Thursday's Group 2 Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot.

On Monday, Maven went through the ring at the Goffs London sale, but was bought back for £725,000. He has been in the care of trainer Wesley Ward since his debut, and Ward remains positive about the colt's ability.

“He's a fast colt,” Ward told Horse Racing Nation earlier this month. “He's growing. He's a late foal (May 24, 2017) so he's catching up to the others. I'm thinking he's going to run a big race over there. I'm really excited.”

The Wesley Ward trained 2yo colt MAVEN heads to the @Goffs1866 London Sale tomorrow as Lot 22. A winner of his only start becoming the first US winner for his sire AMERICAN PHAROAH! #ASaleLikeNoOther pic.twitter.com/1nYTolbZWU

— Zvari (@Zvari4) June 16, 2019

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:40pm
Or he won a stakes race today in the US. 
reductio ad absurdum
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:51pm
At Chantilly.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:21pm
Had very good day...

Maven (American Pharoah - Richies Party Girl out of Any Given Saturday) won the G3 Connolly's Redmills Prix du Bois at Chantilly as the first Graded winner. Richies Party Girl won the a 2013 Juvenile Turf Stakes at Santa Anita.

Earlier Monarch of Egypt another American Pharoah son ran second in the G2 Gain Railway Stakes at The Curragh.

American Pharoah has three winners from his debut juvenile crop. Besides Saturday's stakes performers, the other is Saqqara King, who struck in a Newmarket novice stakes June 22 for Charlie Appleby and Godolphin.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:35am
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I can't work this boy out.  From a very unfashionable sire who didn't leave much from a mare who literally produced him from a pedigree which is ?? if the stud book only putting a short bit in means anything.  Where did he come from.

Maven?  His dam is a multiple stakes winner in spite of her sire. His second dam is a Gr-3 winner by the sire of, among other horses, a Kentucky Oaks winner, the dam of Artie Schiller, and a horse who has been one of the best broodmare sires in the US.  She has produced the dam of a solid stakes winner by Street Sense.  His 3rd dam is by Buckpasser and was Gr-1 placed.  

It's a deep, if inconsistent, family.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:16pm
No not Maven.  The sire American Pharoah.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

At Chantilly.

😆 Thankyou.
reductio ad absurdum
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 1:51am
Furious , to go back into Am. P's pedigree simply google Queen Zetta broodmare.
Of the articles that come up go into Pin Oaks presents bloodlines       a fascinating read 7 hopefully illuminating
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
American Pharoah was provided with a first European G1 winner Oct. 24 when the Aidan O'Brien-trained Van Gogh routed his rivals on heavy ground by four lengths under Pierre-Charles Boudot in the G1 Criterium International at Saint-Cloud.

Van Gogh is from the second crop of the 2015 American Triple Crown winner American Pharoah, who will stand at Ashford Stud for a reduced fee of $100,000 in 2021, and his second individual top-level scorer after Harvey's Lil Goil landed the G1 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Presented by Dixiana at Keeneland this month.

How come they didn't spell Van Gogh wrong?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:43am
Glencoe as our stud book only lists back to Queen Zetta's dam I'm confused as to what his broodmare line is?  Is there a red flag back there. I did the google but the story page came up blank so I guess its been deleted.  Also I just can't see where he came from with the immediate pedigree.  An exceptional racehorse yes but he'll have to be good this season (and I'm not saying he can't be just that I don't understand where he came from) as the first season sires are flying.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>