Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Agistment Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agistment Advice
    Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:28pm
Please take note that positive advice only may be posted, otherwise PM those seeking answers Smile

QUOTE from the MAYOR on since deleted thread:

Originally posted by Off and racing Off and racing wrote:

Agreed, Mayor ? Confused

For the posts to remain unedited, you must agree to sign a legal document stating that you personally are responsible for all that is written in this thread and will gladly pay out all expenses and losses caused (including legal costs) as a result of the personal and business defamations written herein. Then, I am more than happy to leave the posts on the forum. Agree?

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Aug 2015 at 1:05pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:13pm
Well I guess we best delete all posts related to over hyped, over priced and failed stallions in fear of law suits along with criticism of bad jockey rides and poor trainers decisions.

This has got me baffled there is that much slander on your racing forum such as allegations of trainers using cobalt and ice on there horses which have upwards of many hundred posts and also slander on other industry people on other unrelated matters, not to mention the insults to others between forumites.

My guess is that a legal threat was received from those in question and a result the modifications were made.

Goodbye freedom of speech inlu of censored threads. I suppose it does work in China. Ah well I guess we all just stay in the dark and let our mares get neglected the same as those before us. Nothing like paying your hard earned to see your mare neglected when you could send your mare down the road and get reasonable care.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:35pm
A) Freedom of speech isn't actually mentioned anywhere in our constitution, too many American movies/tv shows gives us that idea. B) Not being allowed to post it here isn't removal of freedom of speech, you can still say it, but the site owner can decide what he wants on his site. He's the one liable for defamation. If you want to tell them something just PM them when they ask advice or put up a "PM me for advice on that stud" post to let others know. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:09pm
So the question stands how do you use this forum to get an honest opinions to find out if you are going to get shafted and ur mare left malnourished.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:21pm
Disgraceful deletion.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:29pm
Second chance may even have deleted some of the sites integrity...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:31pm
???  Please explain.  Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:36pm
Sorry, suspect I now know what you mean O&R.  Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:45pm
Rephrase for clarity Second Chance, the deletion of the comments about the neglected mares in doing so deleted some of the sites integrity
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:03pm
I have to ad my 2 cents worth here! In my long experience in the game this is my msg for newcomers & alike this is a very clicky & close net community the majority of us are horse lovers through & through an in my eyes the backbone of the industry, a small minority's are in it for the $$ ego & don't care a hoot or even know anything about horses we have a very good grapevine" in this industry if anyone is not doing the right thing it spreads quicker than wild fire however I don't think sites like TV' is the place to air it, however it should be exposed somehow I believe , there is no place in our industry for these people spread the word via Facebook maybe an option, set up a page I am sure most of us have a story...of neglect ...over charging etc I have had places from years ago I would never use again.. But I cannot bring myself to write it on a site like this:
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:06pm
I have used the followings properties for adjistment;

A) Fantastic customer service a real pleasure.

B)

C) Horse was in great condition on return to my safekeeping.

Which of the above farms didn't I like?

Answer
A
A, B, C
B
C

Sue me now nah,nah,ne nah, nah.......

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:08pm
Those with the most to hide are often the 1st to threaten litigation. Unfortunately that is the world we now live in Disapprove
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Aurelius so funny yes on all accounts
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Pity the Mayor couldn't have appeased the presumed complainant with a freebie $150 bet with Crownbet, or William Hill, or.....  Confused
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:23pm
Thanks Jade.

Jade: Which place did you use for adjistment this year Aurelius.

Aurelius: I used Jurassic Park.

Jade: Did you like it what was your experience?

Aurelius: It about 20 past 4.

Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:56pm
equinegal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote equinegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 9:36am
For the posts to remain unedited, you must agree to sign a legal document stating that you personally are responsible for all that is written in this thread and will gladly pay out all expenses and losses caused (including legal costs) as a result of the personal and business defamations written herein. Then, I am more than happy to leave the posts on the forum. Agree?

If that is the case, where can one peruse this legal document, please?? Mayor, are you able to attach or copy a link to the your legal document so that the forum members can read and decide whether to sign or not?

Please don't PM it to me - I think all and sundry should be able to see it with their own eyes...
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 11:12am
Hmmm, a photo is worth a thousand words.  Should have taken some.
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
niki View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:02pm
 Why is this a sticky post about Agistment?
It doesn't contain anything

Confused
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm
Best to read the OP quoting The Mayor, details of which I've now highlighted Smile
niki View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:13pm
 ah okay, so if I am sending my mare to xyz stud, I can post in this agistment thread and will receive feedback via PM?
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:18pm
Tell me what area your sending mares to an I will advice best I can😀
niki View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
 I have sent a PM ty
Farmermick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Farmermick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:56am
If anyone requires thumbs up or down on agistment places in NSW or Vic I have sent many horses in my 30 years in both the Harness Industry and gallops and are to this day amazed of the difference of care and pricing happy to help-just pm
cheers
here to help if I can & hope people do not make the same mistakes I did early days trusting others.
Ethical Farming
Boutique Horse Stud
Medicinal Plant Research
Rosias View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
Well someone upset someone that didn't want bad press.

There is a way around farms that do not keep you stock up to a good level of condition,

Make sure you visit you stock at least monthly to check they are ok for starters and if you are not happy with what you see ..Say something.. and add if you want me to pay your fees I suggest you feed my horse more.

I have only once had to say something once and something got done very quickly and both parties were happy.

early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:06pm
Or just send your horses to Bombora Downs and get excellent care and professional service.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:42pm
Or make a post recommending good agistment farms in each state and see which ones are prominent? And which ones aren’t
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:58pm
If anyone is looking for somewhere to send their horses to spell, I have set up a small spelling property in Gippsland, near Warragul.  About an hour from Cranbourne and Caulfield and very easy to get to for transports.  

As well as racehorse spelling I can also do broodmare agistment and growing out foals/weanlings/yearlings here at http://equinehaven.com.au  I have a 24yo mare here, who the owners have entrusted me with for the last couple of years and they are thrilled with how she is kept and the regular updates they receive.  Other owners who have had horses here have been very pleased with the condition the horses return to the stables or at the way their foals have steadily grown on natural pasture without having had to be overfed.  

Fabulous green grass year round and being set on a very gentle slope, it doesn't turn to a bog in winter.  I looked at many properties before I bought here and most others would have horses standing fetlock deep in mud in winter.  The worst I get here is surface mud, about 10mm deep, mainly around feed bins.  

As well as good grass, horses are fed good quality feeds and hay.  The horses all relax very quickly and thrive.  The property has been set up (by me) with horse safety as paramount - 5' fences with lots of electricity and each paddock is double fenced, so there's no 'playing' with the next door neighbour and getting caught in fences. 

I'm only a small operation and monitor and look after the horses myself, ensuring there are experienced eyes on the horses staying here.  Very reasonable rates (cheaper than most I'm told).

There are lots of photos on the webpage as well as the Facebook page www.facebook.com/EquineHavenSpelling (which you don't even have to have a Facebook account to be able to view).

Happy to show anyone around that is interested and if you know someone that may be interested, please pass on my details.

Cheers

Phillip
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Nobody View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:03pm
Any recommendation for the lower hunter for the breeding season this year? Foaling and weaning management, and approx agistment daily rates would be great to know.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:09pm
if you can get in Jo Holt. if you want to know more pm me. 
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
 Post Reply Post Reply