Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jamie Kah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:05am
What is the point of the rule ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:58pm
There are many people in the racing industry who have owned & raced horses before their children have begun careers as jockeys.
Because Jamie is so successful does that mean her fiancee cannot train horses for her parents
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:43pm
On the proviso that Jamie rides them only when their running under her partners name there should not be a problem imo .
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:28pm

Group-performed star Dollar For Dollar has found his forever home with Jamie Kah.

The eight-year-old, who was well beaten in last Saturday's Group 1 Goodwood, was retired by connections on Tuesday, with Kah set to bring him to the Victorian property she shares with partner Clayton Douglas.

Leading jockey Kah has always had a soft spot for Dollar For Dollar, having guided him to six of his eight career wins.

Together they finished third in the 2019 Doomben 10,000 at the elite level. He ran second in the 2018 and 2020 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes and contested last year's $15 million Everest for trainers Tony and Calvin McEvoy.

"It's a really good outcome. That horse, he will go across to Jamie's and spend the next stage of his life with her," Tony McEvoy said.

"He's an easy horse to love. He's an attractive little character. Always been very spicy, fun and bloody good. He's a really good horse.

"Jamie has always been extremely fond of him. After his third or fourth start she said, 'I want this horse, I want to take him when he's finished'."

McEvoy said Dollar For Dollar had taken connections on an amazing ride through his 34-start career.

"The horse sent us a strong message that he's gone far enough," McEvoy said.

"He went to the elite level and missed very narrowly twice. Even though he hasn't won since 2018, I think it was $840,000 or something he'd won in the meantime.

"He took us to The Everest. So that's what people thought of him.

"It was a fantastic ride for us and we'd love to do it again with a horse of his class."

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:15pm
Love it! One more for the horses Clap
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 2:41pm
Some great insight on Jamie from Mick Price Thumbs Up

How horse girl Kah became a racing superstar

Shes the queen of Australian racing but dont expect to see her in a dazzling tiara.

She could wallow in the trappings of her new-found fame but one close observer says dont expect to see Jamie Kah whizzing around town in a flash new car or showing off a new trendy haircut.

A lot of young riders have fast cars and groovy haircuts, she doesnt care about that, trainer Mick Price told The Courier Mail, as Kah prepares to ride Prices Stradbroke Handicap favourite Ayrton at Eagle Farm on Saturday.

She is an absolute horse girl.

I think in general if you had to sum her up, she rides her horse first and the race second.

She just simply loves her horses, she has got a property down on the (Mornington) Peninsula with her partner Clayton Douglas and thats what she is all about.

She has just rehomed Dollar For Dollar (Tony McEvoys two-time Group 1 runner-up), she is going to love that horse and she is going to ride it with pleasure.

She lives in her own world a little bit, which is good, a lot of successful people walk to the beat of their own drum.

Kah is rewriting racings record books, a tearaway leader in the Melbourne jockeys premiership and on the hunt to raise her bat for 100 wins for the season.

The five-time Group 1 winner jetted early to Brisbane this week to beat Victorias Covid lockdown and ensure she is on hand to ride boom horse Ayrton in Saturdays Fred Best Classic, which offers the winner a golden ticket into the Stradbroke a fortnight later.

Kah also has two chances to add to her Group 1 haul on Saturday when she rides Vega One for Queenslander Tony Gollan in the Kingsford-Smith Cup and Horrifying for Mark Kavanagh in the Queensland Derby.

The Courier Mail can reveal it is likely to be the only time Kah is seen in Queensland during the winter carnival.

She is flying back to Melbourne on Sunday and would appear unlikely to be able to return for Stradbroke day in a fortnight, given Queensland has now slammed its border shut to Covid-troubled Victoria.

Price, who co-trains with Michael Kent Jr, will use lightweight rider Rachel King should Ayrton qualify for the Stradbroke.

He said it is no surprise he is using female riders on his unbeaten galloper.

I can tell you now, the girls are taking over, Price said.

Perhaps at the moment, in the riding ranks, the proportions of female jockeys dont say that but I can tell you in current intakes of apprentices, the girls outnumber the boys.

I think the boys want to pull their socks up because the days of owners having a bit of a misconception about female jockeys, I think that is fading out pretty quick.

The astute Price, a deep thinker on racing, believes it is Kahs equestrian background which has helped shape her as the queen of Australias riding ranks.

Kah, the daughter of Winter Olympic speed skaters John and Karen, was raised in the Adelaide Hills and has an equestrian background, which Price insists is an underrated component of what makes her the total package as a star jockey.

Price, who has two daughters who have competed in equestrian, has given his take on why he thinks Kah has enjoyed such glittering success and become the punters pal.

Shes a different type of rider, she comes from an equestrian background and shes not affected by the normal school that these (jockey) apprentices go to, Price said.

She is a 100 per cent an equestrian girl who loves her horses, those equestrian girls are different in the way they ride.

Their core, and their balance, is more centred and they have a better seat on a horse.

A lot of young jockeys who havent got an equestrian background tend to want to hang on to their horses mouth a bit, there is more pressure on the horses mouth for balance.

Those equestrian kids, and I employ a few of them, I spent 17 years in the equestrian world with my daughters, and I notice the absolute respect they have for their horse.

I wish a bigger part of apprentice school was equestrian work.

Some of those equestrian kids are even taught to ride bareback they are taught about balance and core and thats how Jamie conducts herself on a horse.

As for Kah, she admits the rush to Brisbane on Wednesday night, jetting to the Sunshine State early like other Victorian riders to beat the Victorian Covid lockdown announced on Thursday, was stressful.

She also knows it will be an odd feeling on Saturday should Ayrton justify his $1.55 favouritism in the Fred Best, knowing she will hand the reins to King in the Stradbroke.

Rachel is a great choice for him because she suits him so well, but Mick has assured me Ill be able to get back on him in the spring, Kah said.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 8:08pm

Horseshoes are meant to symbolise luck but for Jamie Kah, on the verge of rewriting history at Flemington on Saturday, it brought discomfort. 

Kah was struck by a flying plate in the $160,000 G.H. Mumm Mahogany Challenge Final (2500m) for three-year-olds whilst guiding the Robbie Griffiths and Mathew de Kock-trained Token Spirit ($3.70 favourite) to victory.

I apologise, I cant see very well," Kah said upon dismounting after her 99th Melbourne winner for the 2020/21 season, just a half-win behind Prebble's mark of 99.5 Melbourne winners achieved 20 years earlier.

"I got smacked in the face by a shoe, I reckon, at the 1000 (metre mark)."

Kah was visibly irrigated, repeatedly reaching for the left-hand side of her reddened face, but it was Token Spirit who left his rivals dazed in winning his second consecutive race.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 8:17pm
They waterboarded her?!

LOL
Time is a flat circle
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 3:22pm
Cracked the tonne!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:50am
One of the better articles I've read - from LGHR Smile

WHAT DOES FUTURE HOLD FOR RACING SUPERSTAR JAMIE KAH?

WHAT is left for JAMIE KAH to achieve after completing mission impossible, breaking the record for Melbourne winners, cracking the ton and ending the domination of the men in the metropolitan premiership?

Who would have believed that a 25-year-old female could leave the likes of 10-time title winner Damien Oliver and Craig Williams, who has won the last five premierships, in her wake?

Despite a slight midweek hiccup Kah did it with five meetings to spare. Ironically, it was on the same day that Ash Barty triumphed at Wimbeldon.

As magnificent as the Queenslander is, Ash didnt have to beat the likes of Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer. And Jamie didnt just beat the likes of Oliver and Williams, she blew them out of the water.

A cold wintery afternoon at Caulfield proved to be the most historic day for ladies in racing since Michelle Payne won the 2015 Melbourne Cup on Prince of Penzance.

Kah passed the century mark of Melbourne metropolitan winners for a season a feat that has proved impossible for even the best male jockeys to achieve. The daughter of two Winter Olympians etched her own name in the sporting record books and was declared by the Melbourne Herald Sun the best female athlete in the world.

One wonders if even Kah knows what the future holds for her in racing. Those close to this humble champion say she could just as easily pull the plug and try to win an equestrian medal at the next Olympics.

Kah appreciates the fanfare but struggles to come to terms with it, to understand all the fuss about her. Im not one for crowds and people cheering my name. Its very foreign to me still all the kids with signs, its very special, she said. I heard the crowd cheer and I got goose bumps.

Perhaps the unfinished business she has is trying to ride the winner of a Melbourne Cup and join Michelle Payne in the history books, especially after coping unwarranted criticism for her ride last year.

Right now Kah is not only the equal of her male counterparts but better than them. She has hinted she wont try to ride 100 metropolitan winners next season and in the coming weeks is looking forward to a few days on a snow break with fianc Clayton Douglas.

Fortunately, she hasnt been dragged into the same controversy that surrounded Payne after she gave male domination of racing a well-deserved spray in the wake of her Cup win with that famous get stuffed to those who made it chauvinistic.

Kah prefers to credit her success story to those who paved the way and blazed the trail, from the amateurs to the picnics, the likes of Pam ONeill and a handful of others who fought so hard against the misogyny in the 70s, to Bev Buckingham, the Payne sisters and Clare Lindop.

Not only to the women in racing but the entire industry and those who follow it, you are the ultimate hero Jamie.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:54pm

Kah cant wait to return after Supreme Court win

Star jockey Jamie Kah cannot wait to get back to the races after her Supreme Court appeal of a two-month ban for giving false and/or misleading evidence to stewards was successful.

Kahs original three month ban for a Covid-19 breach in late August  hosting a gathering at an Airbnb rental in Mornington will expire at midnight November 25.

I am obviously very happy with the outcome, Kah said in a statement shortly after the Supreme Court decision.

Its now time to move forward.

I cant wait to get back to what I love, riding and being part of our amazing industry.

Thanks to everyone who has said kind words to me or provided moral support over the last three months, it has been a real comfort through very tough times.

As I said last time, I wont be making any further public comment. See you at the races!!

Kah, 25, who accepted her sanction for the gathering itself, launched the Supreme Court challenge in October after being found guilty and penalised for lying to stewards.

Supreme Court Justice Niall QC set aside the two-month penalty but stopped short of dismissing the charge completely.

Justice Niall upheld multiple grounds of appeal, including Kah being denied procedural fairness.

He also said the Victorian Racing Tribunals decision did not reflect the charge as made by the stewards.

The position is, counsel, I propose to set aside the determination of penalty, Justice Niall said.

Can I indicate for the benefit of counsel that the originating motion seeks, by way of relief, an order from the court dismissing the charge, although Im prepared to hear further argument on it, Im not minded to dismiss the charge.

Its no role of the court of course, in judicial reviews, to determine the merits of the charge. 

Supreme Court Justice Niall QC set aside the two-month penalty but stopped short of dismissing the charge completely.  more...

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/star-jockey-jamie-kah-has-successfully-appealed-two-month-ban-for-giving-false-andor-misleading-evidence-to-stewards-20211116

Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:33pm
Boo Hoo. If you want to be treated like a superstar, act like one. Behaviour is closely followed in the horse industry. 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:18am
Does this mean every female apprentice will now readopt that stupid hands and heels and whip once every 100m action that Kah taught them? My god punting was so much better without that rubbish. Only one that believes in their own hype could really think they are good enough to not have to whip their horse properly.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:10am
Ben Melham might be feeling a bit left out, with all the others back riding well before him. He will long remember dropping into that party 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:20am
Broke her nose this morning in a trackwork accident.
Will be out for about a week.
Likely to resume at Pakenham on 4/12
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:24am
Does this mean every female apprentice will now readopt that stupid hands and heels and whip once every 100m action that Kah taught them

Gets results tho, doesnt it .LOL When the girl learns how to ride she will be a world beater Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:39am
Exactly AA.  Star

There's a few around here apparently suffering from a bad case of Tall Poppy Syndrome.  Wink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:39pm
She'd actually just broken her nose when a reporter rang her last week but she still managed to speak to him despite it. Tough cookie!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:33pm
LOLLOL C'mon Gay3 , you don't talk out your nose Smile now if she had a molar removed , that's a different matter . Wink
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Does this mean every female apprentice will now readopt that stupid hands and heels and whip once every 100m action that Kah taught them

Gets results tho, doesnt it .LOL When the girl learns how to ride she will be a world beater Thumbs Up

No it doesn't. The female apprentices who are for the most great riders were doing fine before adopting this stupid tactic. It works for Jamie when she's on a horse two lengths better than the rest of the field. That's it. All about making her look good, a trait I can't stand in jockeys. There's simply no jockey that is THAT good they can throw away the fundamentals of jockeyship. 

I guarantee you wont find her pulling that move in a tight finish in a group 1. She'll be flogging her horse like every other rider. Because that's what's normally required to win. The other female riders should take note of that.

Now I feel the need to add to the end of this rant that there is no doubt Jamie Kah is a special jockey that somehow gets horses to run for her. That's not what I'm arguing here.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

LOLLOL C'mon Gay3 , you don't talk out your nose Smile now if she had a molar removed , that's a different matter . Wink

There's no way I'd be talking to anyone having just been clonked on the nose, too busy swearing & kicking anything in range Angry Not to mention assessing the damage to my blood spattered clothes LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:53pm
Last time I got clonked on the nose by a horse it almost knocked me out.  If they had tried talking to me all they would have got was the same gobbly-gook the 18 month old twins next door speak.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm
And little's changed since.  Tongue

ps that's an attempted jest AA.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:31pm
OK  SC  I get you.  Thumbs UpLOLCry
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 7:59pm
A truly great rider.  Star

Kah reflects on her season

“It’s been, obviously, a bit of an interrupted year for me but I’m pretty proud of myself to get back on the premiership board and rack up those winners again,” Kah said.

ps her "spell" maybe better described as coitus interruptus.  Embarrassed 

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:28am
Looks like she is back to premiership winning form.

Great ride on Coolangatta tonight, because if she had sprinted five meters earlier she would have been nabbed on the line.

Now for Zaaki on Sunday.  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:10pm
Well she missed on Zaaki but her five at Mornington and her rides on Sunday were awesome.

At Sandown she had 2 wins, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and 2 fourths.

So by my calculations she had 9 wins, 4 seconds, 2 thirds and 4 fourths from all her rides which means she is giving them every hope. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:38pm
FAST TRACKING KAH 
By Michael Cox

What will it take for Jamie Kah to take on Hong Kong full-time, and what would it take to keep her there?

Kah delivered a history-making moment in Sunday’s Hong Kong Classic Mile in producing a perfectly rated front-running ride on Voyage Bubble, as the Australian became the first woman to win a ‘Hong Kong Group 1’. But the question immediately asked by many was when, or if, Kah will shift to Sha Tin. 

Whenever that question has been asked in the past, the reaction from Australian fans has been that the Hong Kong Jockey Club should 'roll out the red carpet' and officials should do whatever it takes when it comes time to 'recruit' the 27-year-old. 

In the past, recruitment of this kind was not Jockey Club policy. The licensing committee might 'encourage' an applicant, and outline what an attractive proposition riding in the city was; the highest-per-race prizemoney in the world, a two-meeting per week schedule and paid-for on-course accommodation was considered enough. Take it or leave it. 

And for a long time that was enough. A superstar laden full-time roster was boosted by one- and three-month visits by Australian- and European-based champions. 

Big race days were bolstered by the arrival of fly-in, fly-out jobs like Kah's Classic Mile hit-and-run mission. 

Sunday also saw James McDonald and Ryan Moore make successful guest appearances, but for the last few years, the Club has struggled to attract that calibre of rider beyond single day stints. The dominance of Zac Purton and Joao Moreira did not help: the pair rode more than one third of the winners between them for the best part of a decade. Then Hong Kong itself became a deterrent because of Covid restrictions. 

As Hong Kong opens up, slowly, the Club has done a great job to add Silvestre de Sousa and Hugh Bowman on a full-time basis, but will it be willing to change the way it recruits to entice Kah to make a move? 

In the past, the Club has resisted offering paid retainers to jockeys or more lucrative accommodation than the on-course digs. Jockeys are 'guaranteed' a minimum amount of around HK$50,000 (USD$6,384) per month, paid only if a jockey does not earn that amount. 

The upside of success can be far more lucrative of course, but is the Jockey Club's 'take it or leave it’ deal enough in 2023? De Sousa and Bowman aside, the roster has been lacking star power. 

When Blake Shinn worked his way into a strong position, riding Group 1 winners and holding a prominent place on the premiership table, he still walked away. Shinn cited stress from the strict Covid restrictions placed on the city for his reason to leave, but it was a reminder that today's top jockeys have options – particularly in Australia, where prizemoney has more than doubled in the space of ten years. 

Japan has also become a more appealing option for top jockeys and for stretches late in the last two years, the JRA jockey colony has arguably outstripped Hong Kong for top-end quality. Then there are the lucrative middle-eastern jurisdictions on the rise. 

Kah is used to breaking records, and not just 'first woman' ones; she holds the record for most wins by a jockey in a Melbourne Metropolitan season, 105. She doesn't want to give up her mantle – Melbourne is a tough place to move away from and then reestablish yourself. 

Now that Kah has cracked through for a big race win (she rode another on the undercard as well), her stock is high, but she doesn't need to rush. She should look at Bowman as an example: he was a hit from his first late season stint in 2014, but resisted a full-time move until this term. In between he enjoyed great success as a pinch-hitter, winning two Derbies and four more Group 1s in the space of two years. 

When Bowman did come to Hong Kong, it was on his terms, and on a trial basis. Last week he confirmed he would extend to the end of the season. 

There are no guarantees when a jockey does hold off for the right time though; Tommy Berry had an even better record as a fly-in big race jockey than Bowman but when he moved to Hong Kong full-time in 2017, albeit as John Moore's stable rider, it was a disaster. 

Bowman is living away from Sha Tin to provide a better lifestyle for his family, and it is believed that the club is contributing to those living expenses. How much is it willing to do to convince Kah she should move? And if the club do go down that route of essentially paying appearance fees to some and not others – or already have and have not made public – where does that leave the rest of the riders who have already committed? 

A flat retainer – say if the $50,000 per month was guaranteed to an overseas rider, regardless of result – would be a fairer inducement than offering different amounts to different riders. Prizemoney is enough reward for success, but that doesn't get the big names committed in the first place. 

The Jockey Club may baulk at the idea but times are changing and there is a strong case to be made that the club needs Kah more than she needs it. Right now, her stock might be high in Hong Kong, but she can have the best of both worlds. She is a star at home on Saturdays, and can swoop in for Group 1s on Sundays at Sha Tin. The onus is on the Jockey Club to make a case for her to stay.
reductio ad absurdum
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:32pm
Jamie comeback to SA....

(Yeah! Right?)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 1:11pm

‘So relieved': Kah responds after white powder charge dismissed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234