Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

What are we watching tonight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 54>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:36am
I wanted to watch that too but just too late by the time it was due to finish. Might find it online somewhere since you've recommended it - thanks Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I wanted to watch that too but just too late by the time it was due to finish. Might find it online somewhere since you've recommended it - thanks Smile

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/lucy-the-human-chimp
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:50am
Of course LOL mustn't've had enough coffee prior to that poorly thought out reply LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:53am
Big smile
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Watched a doco last night on the ABC - Lucy; The Human Chimp. Fascinating insight - although quite disturbing & upsetting. Just shows you shouldn't interfere with nature.

The male chimp dragging her through the undergrowth, to destroy her hold on the leadership was telling.

Was a sad ending, though. Cry

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:15pm
More bittersweet for me JJ as I wondered why I felt so sad but couldn't come up with an answer i.e. we all die eventually, Lucy had come to terms with the freedom she'd so long rejected & Janis continued her work, remaining in the same area. Happily too, the foster 'parents' decided such an experiment should never be repeated, another plus Smile
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:37pm
Yes. Almost got the impression she was starting to question her life's dedication to the cause. Would be interesting to know if she ever went back to a "normal" life at any point. Considering she seemed to spend 10 years plus isolated on an island in her mid-20's onwards i somehow doubt it. The dilemma re Lucy being able to survive without her really was confronting.  
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:42pm

More bittersweet for me JJ as I wondered why I felt so sad but couldn't come up with an answer i.e. we all die eventually, Lucy had come to terms with the freedom she'd so long rejected & Janis continued her work, remaining in the same area. Happily too, the foster 'parents' decided such an experiment should never be repeated, another plus Smile

the way she died was the sad bit. Finding pieces of her body scattered around. Better she was never released back into the wild.

Cry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:01am

This looks very good Smile

Filmmaker Barry Jenkins on the brutal violence in Underground Railroad

A new streaming series features a scene of such extreme violence, its filmmaker had to grapple with whether it was ethical to even show it.

Underground Railroad premieres on Amazon Prime Video on Friday, May 14

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/streaming/filmmaker-barry-jenkins-on-the-brutal-violence-in-underground-railroad/news-story/22118c316ab462f247cd9bb09a841d1c

Available now with the usual suspects Gay. 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:41pm
Last series of Jack Irish on ABC.

The old Fitzroy pub in it, pre renovation, reminds me of something. Can't think what.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:35pm
Watched "Hunger"
What a movie.
Sad, cruel, deplorable, hopeless.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:46pm
I watched the latest Lance Armstrong doco on SBS past 2 nights. Approx 4 hours. Called "Lance". Excellent 
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:36pm
Got Lucy the human chimp up to watch it and chickened out. Cant bear seeing animals get hurt and Im not improving with age Ouch
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:45pm
I'm the same Sister Dot ....    Terrible when we think about it .   I always thought it would help if we all had to watch a video of the operations of an Abattoir ,   Just before we sit down for a mixed grill Dinner.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I watched the latest Lance Armstrong doco on SBS past 2 nights. Approx 4 hours. Called "Lance". Excellent 

Watched this on ESPN when it was released last year. Agree, very good. 
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:58pm
Couldnt do it, Macca. 
We home kill and have our own meat here. There was a time I couldnt have done it, but now I justify it by knowing they had an excellent life up till that point. I dont ask which ones are which though, even when hubby and I are doing various procedures in the yards. I recently raised an orphan lamb and she has a home for life. We put her back in the paddock with the flock and thought she was weaned. Drove out of our driveway last week and theres the next door neighbours kids giving her a bottle LOL so cute
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:17pm
Lucy has a happy ending Sister D Big smile
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:32pm
You must have watched a different version to me Gay. I think the suggestion was she got torn apart by the other chimps - although no one really knows
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:39pm
Perhaps I have a selective memory, designed to spare me the worst LOL & if that's so, at least she went in the wild.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:49pm
Yes i think the lifetime carer (forget her name) teared up when that was spoken about. Parts of Lucy was found in different areas. However you are correct in saying she at least partially got back to a normal chimp environment in her later years. Must say though i found the whole thing a bit disturbing - & my heart went out to both Lucy & her dedicated carer.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:54pm
Anyone seen the movie Dream Horse yet ?   They reckon its a nice watch.  I dont want to see animals being killed so maybe will try and see this one. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:58pm
I watched it on the advice of FB friends & loved it Big smile A real feelgood true story with some wonderful characters & several very well known actors. I saw it online (Pirate Bay) but it's opened at cinemas apparently.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:38pm
Whats it about ??    And where abouts does it take place ??
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:01am
The true story of Dream Alliance, an unlikely racehorse bred by small-town bartender Jan Vokes. With very little money and no experience, Jan convinces her neighbors to chip in their meager earnings to help raise Dream and compete with the racing elites. Their investment pays off as Dream rises through the ranks and becomes a beacon of hope for their struggling community.

Jan Vokes doesnt know what to do with her life.

For years, she raced pigeons alongside her dad; her husband, Brian, was a veterinarian. But that was a long time ago. Jan works as a bartender and cashier now. And Brian lost his job after arthritis kicked in.

Its a dull existence with no variation. Jan wakes up early, works her shift at the supermarket and then goes home to have tea with Brian (who is usually watching vet shows on the telly), then shes off again to her shift at the pub.

Jan doesnt just want things to change. She needs them to. She needs a reason to wake up in the morningsomething to make her alive.

And she figures out just the thing when Howard Davies comes to the bar for a few drinks with his friends.

Howard used to be part of a racehorse syndicate, a system in which individuals can purchase a share in a horse if they dont have the funds to own one outright. But between gambling and losing the horse he co-owned, he nearly lost his house. Howard and his wife, Angela, managed to pay their mortgage, but they had to take it out of their childrens college funds. Now, he works paycheck to paycheck as an accountant at a local firm, giving people advice about taxes.

Howard, much like Jan, also needs a change.

So, Jan suggests they create their own syndicate and breed a racehorse.

Its not an easy or cheap process, but after putting out fliers around town, Jan and Howard realize they arent the only ones looking to be part of something bigger, to better their lives.

Pretty soon they have their syndicate of villagers; and their foal, Dream Alliance, is born.

Edited by Gay3 - 24 Jun 2021 at 10:02am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 12:45pm
Thanx.  Hope it comes to the cinema here .
animals before people.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 1:38am
We watched a show on 7 Mate this avo called Boy To Man. A journalist goes to Mongolia for a couple of months to learn the dying art of hunting with eagles. Incredible vistas, people, animals, weather events, lifestyle. Really interesting documentary. Must be able to source it again somehow?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:00am
Final episode of Season 8 of The Blacklist has aired.

One of my favourite shows. Anyone watch it?
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:08am
Sister Dot, this is a series of 8(?) episodes. You can watch them all online, just search it.

Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:54pm
Taa Dizzy! I definitely will, it really was very authentic, people over there really do it tough. They travelled 100 miles on horseback (ponies) through blizzards with mob of sheep, camels. When they arrived at the hosts summer house, it looked like a war torn rubble, but they all thought it a palace, after the conditions they had just ridden through. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:22pm
 Australian Survivor.  It has overtaken the original American version, setting a standard they can only envy. Jonathon LaPaglia is even better than Jeff Probst.

Now, all I need is Amazing Race to return...the original...

Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 54>