Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Fires - Victoria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:25pm
So, how bout these fires ay?

Yeah, kissin' virtue signalling, left, green, scomo, rightard, labour fires that they are
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

SC, you have gone to ground once I pointed out to you preferences were only applicable in an election and not about voting in the Houses of Parliament,
It appears you, not I, as you inferred, that knows Jack all about preferences as distinct from voting in parliament.

Again you talk absolute nonsense as Labor did rely on Greens preferences to form Government at the last two elections.  Indeed Labor publicly distanced itself from the Greens prior to the most recent election.

As it transpired the Greens polled poorly, managing only three in the Lower House.  Labor would have won a clear majority in the Lower House had not a single Greens preference vote gone to Labor.

PartyPrimary votes%SwingSeatsChange
 Labor1,506,46742.86+4.7755+8
 Liberal1,069,14630.42−6.0421−9
 Greens376,70410.72−0.763+1*
 National167,6254.77−0.766−2

Distribution of seats[edit]

PartySeats held
 Labor55
Liberal/National Coalition(27)
  Liberal21
 National6
 Greens3
 Independent3
Total88

You just talk in an uninformed manner without any facts whatsoever, and that's a fact.

So I talk absolute nonsense ? In the 2018 Victorian state election the following seats changed from Liberal to the ALP, however in if we had first past the post elections the Liberals would have won,however after distribution of Green preferences the ALP won.....
 Bass, Bayswater, Box Hill, Burwood, Hawthorn, Mt Waverley, Nepean, Ringwood and South Barwon.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
Well why don't you tell us all if you don't believe that the emergency website and constant media updates aren't quite sufficient.

Maybe some like myself have the Victorian emergency siteopen all day to keep abreast of the latest, including current alerts in two separate locations where relatives' homes are under serious threat.

And just so sorry I find it necessary to explain to climate denier Baghdad Bob that blaming the Greens, who I have little time for, can hardly be held responsible for the appalling apocalypse.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:43am

Jockey urges punters to donate

Kate Watts & Carl Di Iorio

4 January, 2020

Jockey Jamie Kah has urged punters to donate funds towards Australia’s Bushfire Disaster Appeal.

Kah pledged to donate double her riding fee and any prizemoney earned from her three rides at Caulfield on Saturday.

The South Australian jockey finished fourth aboard Zoushack, Licko’paint and Ocean’s Fourteen ensuring her donation would amount to over approximately $3200.

The 24-year-old suggested donating to the Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service, an Australian organisation that’s aiding the animals caught up in the bushfires.

"Every cent counts, they're getting worse, they're not going to get better anytime soon."

“Everybody knows the tragedy going on at the moment and there’s so many different organisations that need help at the moment,” Kah said.

“The whole country is in flames at the moment, every cent counts. Just donate what you can.”

The Australian bushfire season (since August 1) has burned an estimated 5.9 million hectares, destroyed over 2,500 buildings and killed at least 24 people, with several persons missing in Victoria.

Cranbourne Turf Club

How is this for Karma. Less than 24hours after donating $5,000 to our Bushfire Appeal, Scott & Linda Brown have landed a $38 winner at Caulfield with Exasperate trained by son Matt. Racing.com

I also read somewhere that some or all (??) jockeys riding that night are donating their riding fees to the appeal Clap

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
Better hold out the tin on their way in before the races start rather than on the way out.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:50am
All for Donation Appeals. Just not sure Punters should be a specific target group.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:52am

MRC commits bushfire support

The Melbourne Racing Club will use its two meetings over the Australia Day weekend to support the country's bushfire-ravaged communities.

At Caulfield on Saturday, MRC Chairman Peter Le Grand announced that all gate proceeds from the race meetings at Mornington on Friday, 24 January and Caulfield on Saturday, 25 January will be donated to the Bendigo Bank Community Fund.

Fire services personnel and their families will also be provided free entry to both racedays.

Le Grand said that the Club had determined that all donations made to the MRC Foundation during January will also be forwarded the the Fund.

"The MelbRacingClub on the 24th and 25th (January) - all the ticket gate money will go to the fund for the fires."

"We're all devastated by what has happened and we're thinking of the people that have been impacted," Le Grand said.

"At the Melbourne Racing Club, we've immediately made a donation to the (Bendigo Bank) Community Fund.

"And every donation made to the Melbourne Racing Club Foundation for the month of January will go towards the fund."

The commitment by the MRC follows a similar pledge by Racing Victoria Chairman Brian Kruger on Friday.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:04am

Racing participants support bushfire relief

Racing participants across Australia have pledged support to help with the bushfire relief as blazes continue to burn across the country.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews declared a State of Disaster on Friday ahead of forecast worsening conditions, confirming 28 people remain unaccounted for in the state's bushfire areas.

Many racing participants have joined a growing group of sporting athletes and organisations pledging support to help those affected, with a number of racetracks across the state being used as relief centres.

Fire-affected families, horses and livestock have seeked refuge at the Bairnsdale Racing Club this week.

While Monday's Wangaratta meeting has been transferred to Echuca, with the Wangaratta track needing to be made available if required for horses and livestock to be fed and watered.

It is overwhelming to see the support shown by other sportsman getting around people in need, I would like to join them so for the month of January I will be donating $250 for every winner I ride to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal.
Big thanks to our brave firefighters #heros pic.twitter.com/KgSf31MBXQ

— Tommy Berry  January 3, 2020

Good on you Tommy. I too will follow suite and donate $250 for every winner I ride across the month of January to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal. https://t.co/6YiaZvOY4J

— Damian Lane  January 3, 2020

I will be donating my riding fees from tonight’s meeting to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal and hope the other jocks get onboard

— Jaden Lloyd  January 3, 2020

— mitchellbeer (@beermitchell) January 2, 2020

We have a full load coming out of Kiewa to Albury but can be back in the next hour

— mitchellbeer (@beermitchell) January 3, 2020

In response to the horrific bushfires present throughout Australia, we are raising funds to assist those affected through

We have 6 Sponsorship Packages for sale (value $2200ea) Check our Facebook page or watch Racing tomorrow night for more details on how to bid pic.twitter.com/abwUyBtlhf

— Cranbourne Turf Club (@CranTurfClub) January 2, 2020

Trainer Ebony Tucker will be at Cranbourne races tonight collecting donations of vet/medical supplies for bushfire affected animals on behalf of the Animal Rescue Collective. Expecting to coordinate similar collections in the coming days/weeks @Racing

— James Tzaferis  January 3, 2020

For anyone needing somewhere to evacuate their horses to from the fires north of Benalla we have yard space available for up to 30 horses. Contact 0431 403 332

— Leneva park January 2, 2020

Heading up to Tumbarumba now. Got room on the truck for two more horses if anyone needs their horses transported out.
In about an hour though I will lose signal due to the fires. 0426219192

— Darrell Burnet  January 3, 2020

"We opened up the jockey rooms so people could have a shower and a lot of them slept on inflatable mattresses in the dining room."BairnsdaleRC set up as a #vicfires relief centre. https://t.co/JP4dA7Pwsj

— Racing.com (@Racing) December 31, 2019

Lance and the team at mmsnippets Adelaide having been working day and night, creating a home for horses that have been evacuated from bush fires.

What an amazing group of people who love and care for our equine friends. Full feature 🔜❤️#LoveTheHorse pic.twitter.com/OI6LLExC2l

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:35am
Katie Page said the MM Carnival will be used as a platform to raise money, starting with the polo game. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm

A couple of letters in today's press Re Victorian bushfires  

THE current catastrophic bushfires happening over a large part of our country should not be blamed on climate change.

When we stopped doing backburning in the cooler months to mitigate the severity of fires in summer, we created an environment where one spark or a careless/ deliberate act could start an inferno.

Instead of a smaller, more manageable fire, which could be quickly contained, there is so much fuel on the ground that it’s out of control before the firefighters can even get to the scene.

All these inner-city greenies should volunteer to fight the fires to see just how environmentally unfriendly a major bushfire can be.

Shirley Wiffrie, Croydon Hills

We can lower the risk

IF ever there was a time to talk about bushfires, it is now. I don’t know if the climate is changing due to burning coal, a natural cycle, or 7.8 billion people sharing the planet, but changing it appears to be — and the consequences for Australia are devastating.

The nation cannot afford another bushfire season such as this. So what’s to be done about it?

Here in Victoria our beautiful native forests need regular firebreaks, our farmers need to be able to clear dead wood from their paddocks and clear undergrowth, our councils/VicRoads need to clear roadsides. Let each landowner be allowed to take responsibility for fire prevention.

And if we really mean business, bring water inland through the river systems, redirecting water from our tropics in the wet season.

Come on, Canberra, think big.

Sue Wilson, Korumburra

Awful lesson to learn

PERHAPS when these bushfires are put out, some blame may be put squarely at the feet of Green dominated councils whose bylaws prevent property owners from clearing away trees and fallen debris.

As fires burn at the foot of the high country, it’s time cattle were allowed back in to eat the roughage on the ground and the now lost timber industry revived to keep open forest tracks for access, as well as having heavy machinery close by to keep tracks cleared.

Past fires should be a reminder what has to be done, but alas red tape and ridiculous Green ideology keep putting lives at risk.

P. Dunlop, Werribee

Let’s get practical

POLITICIANS wring their hands and pray for rain. Don’t they realise we get heaps of rain, just in the wrong places?

For goodness sake, build dams, catch the annual floodwaters and pipe it to drought areas. Reintroduce grazing and burn-offs in national parks. Be proactive before the central Australian desert overwhelms the whole country.

Hanson and Katter are the only two pollies who have been pushing for something useful to be done.

Russell Mansfield, Patterson Lakes

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
Where are the Greens leadership in all of this? Have they been out to the fire grounds shaking hands and providing photo ops? Would be very interesting to see the reception they’d get.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:24pm
How true, Morrison has copped it on all fronts, yet Adam Bandt , Sarah Hanson-Young for starters have gone to ground. Where are they holidaying ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:29pm
They aren't State Premiers or Prime Minister. 

Gladys and Dan however have done a superb job doing what leaders are supposed to do in these times. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm
Exactly PT.

However you rightards won't let go, will you?  The people mentioned could be anywhere, more than likely with their sleeves rolled up rather than setting up photo shots and filming Liberal Part advertisements at a time like this.

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
Neither is Albo PT . But he’s been going out to meet people who have been affected. I would have thought the Greens would have been there with bells on to show how popular they and their philosophy are.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:46pm
I dont know where they are Baguette, SHY is active on twitter this week putting out information, Bandt hasn't posted for a couple of weeks. Not sure anyone needs to hear from politicians not actively involved in any operations or official media work though. That applies to all sides of politics.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:51pm
Actually SHY tweeted this a couple of days ago. She may be like a lot of Australians at the moment, dealing with the aftermath.

My family’s property was ravaged by fire two days ago. Thankfully everyone is ok and safe for now. It has been scary as hell.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm
You’re certainly right about that PT. I miss the pre social media days when we all pulled together in times of crisis and worried about the political fallout and finger pointing later . I see the usual suspects are organising protests in our capital cities next Friday. Starting at 5.30pm when they are all awake. Though the brave souls are very concerned about the smoke. Wear your masks! I’m sure the missing Green leadership will turn up for that. It’s in the inner city after all.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Where are the Greens leadership in all of this? Have they been out to the fire grounds shaking hands and providing photo ops? Would be very interesting to see the reception they’d get.

They'd be understandably fearful for their safety, I'd suggest, warranted or not.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:06pm
Well, they wont have any trees left to worry about now, and the horses in Kosi will be just about all gone, along with the frogs and rare swamp mosses,  so wonder what they will focus on now ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:11pm
When in doubt or denial, just blame the Greens. That's far easier than recognizing and addressing the fundamental reasons for this awful situation.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
There are one hell of a lot like me who are not in denial.  Because we know their policies have made it difficult to implement many factors that have had an impact on these fires.
I dont do politics ( thats PT speciality ), but I know its happened over time, not overnight, and I have seen first hand how hard its become for people to even drop a dangerous tree, let alone the closure of parks to cattlemen , and many other things.
Please dont keep posting your denial rubbish SC.  You are worse than Whale with some of the things you say. 
We all know there are many reasons for this situation, but you can not exclude greens from some of the guilt.  Try as you may.
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

There are one hell of a lot like me who are not in denial.  Because we know their policies have made it difficult to implement many factors that have had an impact on these fires.
I dont do politics ( thats PT speciality ), but I know its happened over time, not overnight, and I have seen first hand how hard its become for people to even drop a dangerous tree, let alone the closure of parks to cattlemen , and many other things.
Please dont keep posting your denial rubbish SC.  You are worse than Whale with some of the things you say. 
We all know there are many reasons for this situation, but you can not exclude greens from some of the guilt.  Try as you may.

why do I get dragged into it ? Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
My sister's home is in a lovely valley mainly used for dairying and beef cattle.  The locals there wouldn't  be pleased to be called "greenies" however they respect the environment and keep their properties clean and tidy with only the occasional belt of trees for shade.  They're surrounded on both sides by steep native vegetation at the toe of the eastern ranges, however the largely inaccessible mountainous areas are generally a kilometre or more from housing and stock shelters.

Last night with heavy winds and low humidity a fire front moved more than 30 kilometres with live embers being thrown hundreds if not thousands of metres at a time.

Today there's not a building left.  Forty years of toil, memorabilia and memories up in smoke.  

And greenies had f-ck all to do with it.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
But, but, but greenies...Shocked

How can anyone taking this liar seriously?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 10:05am
Here are some views published in this morning's press, no they are not from politicians, journalists from the ABC or The Gaurdian or the Murdoch press,nor are they media personalities they are the silent majority

ONLY 6 per cent of wild fires are started by natural causes. So many of these fires are started deliberately or result from people doing stupid things that get out of control. Garry

THE Kinglake fires of February 2009 showed what the Greens’ changes to fuel reduction would do. Nothing was done to reverse their stupidity. So 10 years on we have been given the result of not changing the laws back to what makes sense. Ian

HOW Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews isn’t being held to account astonishes me. Andrew Oz

I DO recall that after Black Saturday the royal commission ended up with many recommendations. I’d like to know how many of those recommendations have been adopted in VictoriaPeter

IT’S the build-up of fuel that seems to be the main cause and that’s a state responsibility. AshRegister

LOCAL and state governments are responsible for long-term fire management and regional zoning. Severe drought leads to severe bushfires. Andrew

WHY is everyone blaming the Prime Minister? Each state is responsible for what is happening, not the Prime Minister. Julie

SEEMS a motivating factor for not burning off is the impact on wildlife. I imagine that wildlife has a better chance of escaping a slow burn-off than a raging bushfire. John IF Victoria’s backburning policies need to be put under a microscope, and if it is deemed that they have contributed to the outcome, then shine the spotlight on the Greens and Labor. Jeff

THE fact is that emergency management has been a state responsibility and the demands for money from the federal government just reflects the states’ passing the buck for their own failures. Echidnajack

EVEN the recommendations of a royal commission in to the Black Saturday fires were not enough to get the Victorian government to undertake adequate backburning here. Cathryn WE need a return to forest/bush management to at least give the bush, its residents and wildlife a fighting chance in the event of seasonal bushfires. It’s high time that commonsense overruled the “greenie city-dwellers” who have no understanding of the bush and how to manage and protect it. Christine

WHAT did Victoria learn from the Black Saturday fires? Nothing, it’s happened again. Terry

CAN someone please ask the Victorian state government how they are going with meeting the 5 per cent yearly prescribed burn target that was recommended by the royal commission held after the 2009 Victorian bushfires? Lee

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:04am

Victorian fire chief says calls for more fuel reduction burns are an 'emotional load of rubbish'

The Country Fire Authority's chief officer Steve Warrington said there was a "fair amount of emotion" around the issue.

"We've had fire down the landscape here that has had burns go right through it [during colder months] and it hasn't slowed it at all," he said.

The emotive argument is not supported that fuel reduction burning will fix all our problems.

"Some of the hysteria that this will be the solution to all our problems is really just quite an emotional load of rubbish, to be honest."

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:09am
NSW Commissioner Shane FitzSimmons said the same thing this morning. It is not the panaces, but part of an overall picture.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Barnaby has it sorted though, on 7 Sunrise today. Concrete doesn't burn, footpaths dont burn.

Presumably his answer is to pave the whole country.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Here are some views published in this morning's press, no they are not from politicians, journalists from the ABC or The Gaurdian or the Murdoch press,nor are they media personalities they are the silent majority

<p style=":white"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">ONLY
6 per cent of wild fires are started by natural causes. So many of these fires
are started deliberately or result from people doing stupid things that get out
of control. Garry<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">THE Kinglake fires of
February 2009 showed what the Greens’ changes to fuel reduction would do.
Nothing was done to reverse their stupidity. So 10 years on we have been given
the result of not changing the laws back to what makes sense. Ian<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">HOW Victorian Premier
Daniel Andrews isn’t being held to account astonishes me. Andrew Oz<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">I DO recall that after
Black Saturday the royal commission ended up with many recommendations. I’d
like to know how many of those recommendations have been adopted in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Victoria</st1:place></st1:state>? Peter<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">IT’S the build-up of
fuel that seems to be the main cause and that’s a state responsibility. AshRegister<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">LOCAL and state
governments are responsible for long-term fire management and regional zoning.
Severe drought leads to severe bushfires. Andrew<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">WHY is everyone blaming
the Prime Minister? Each state is responsible for what is happening, not the
Prime Minister. Julie<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">SEEMS a motivating
factor for not burning off is the impact on wildlife. I imagine that wildlife
has a better chance of escaping a slow burn-off than a raging bushfire. John IF
Victoria’s backburning policies need to be put under a microscope, and if it is
deemed that they have contributed to the outcome, then shine the spotlight on
the Greens and Labor. Jeff<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">THE fact is that
emergency management has been a state responsibility and the demands for money
from the federal government just reflects the states’ passing the buck for
their own failures. Echidnajack<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">EVEN the
recommendations of a royal commission in to the Black Saturday fires were not
enough to get the Victorian government to undertake adequate backburning
here. Cathryn WE need a return to forest/bush management to at
least give the bush, its residents and wildlife a fighting chance in the event
of seasonal bushfires. It’s high time that commonsense overruled the “greenie
city-dwellers” who have no understanding of the bush and how to manage and
protect it. Christine<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">WHAT did <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Victoria</st1:place></st1:state> learn from the
Black Saturday fires? Nothing, it’s happened again. Terry<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">CAN someone please ask
the Victorian state government how they are going with meeting the 5 per cent
yearly prescribed burn target that was recommended by the royal commission held
after the 2009 Victorian bushfires? Lee<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p>

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>