Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Let's get healthy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

How on earth do you peel a cucumber..???

Lengthwise.

You can peel alternate strips around the outside, so that it then looks fancy when you subsequently slice it.  

You call it circumcising in the vegie patch.
   If you do it right the cucumbers don't scream.

Like, don't make miss Tomato blush , by letting her see Mr Green Pea.
     Remember all those when we were little Kids Fiddles.
                  In your case yesterday.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:14am
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

I would go for a 1 hour morning walk first thing in the morning. Then monitor your calories and start calculating everything. Make sure you have a calorie deficit of 500 based on your age and current weight. Drink plenty of water to ensure you aren't carrying any "water weight". Water also supresses your appetite. Cut down on sugars and if you have them make sure its in the morning. Cut out alcohol and if you have sodas make sure its diet variety.

If you follow that method you should be dropping 2kgs a week at a minimum.

generally this is sound advice...however diet drinks lure people into drinking more...and there ARE calories in them...

my husband was very heavy until I had him stop drinking diet coke, replacing it with water in Summer and tea in Winter...also put a ban on those dreaded potato crisps, which are addictive and very fattening ...

I cut his sugar and starch to minimal levels, stepped up water and tea (a natural diuretic) ..then we would go and play golf for four hours in 30 degree weather...pulling buggies...stripped the pounds off...he lost twenty kilos doing it...(then I got pregnant and HE ate for two..put it all back on..Angry)

my philosophy has always been: if you cheat and eat, you move the feet...in other words, earn the right to have an indulgence by extra exercise...any exercise...

swimming won't actually cause you to lose weight...(it actually triggers hunger and because you are not building body temperature in cold water, it doesn't burn a lot of calories)...but swimming is a great aerobic exercise, arm-muscle toner and mental refresher...so the more you do, the better you feel...

the question always is: do you need all that extra food or are your taste buds overriding common sense...?

Pig

So are you claiming diet coke has >10 calories?

Are you from the school which asserts that celery has negative calories?

You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:28am
Sorry didn't type anything.

Folks a sure way to lose some flab but much, much more importantly., feel so much better. Is to rid your diet of any wheat and soy products. They are poison. No bread unless it is spelt based. No vegetable oils of any nature. Check your labels out before you buy. If you see vegetable oil. Soy or wheat mentioned , put it back. They are in so many products. Its all for shelf life and mass production purposes. Go old fashioned butter, not blended. Eggs? Help yourself.... Shop at local markets . Give the old supermarkets the old heave ho. Feel better and live longer. Add krill oil and vitamin d to your daily intake. As much fresh fruit and veg as you want. Source fresh red meat where you know it's history... As in no feed lot , corn fed full od antibiotic sick steers. I grow my own. Apple cider vinegar in water and check out Vital Green. I can assure anyone that they will feel better immediately.. And just one 30 minute brisk walk a day.
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:18am
The Hydehurst Hotel.... corner of Peel St and Punt Rd ........ Scottish pub owned and run by Greeks ..... lol
Then owned and run by a famous Melbourne footballer ......
Sold in 1999 .......
Now called The Pint On Punt......
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:30am
dont know if its already been mentioned in this thread but we have been venturing towards low carb and high fat diet. its getting plenty of attention world wide. Garry Fetke is the Tasmanian Doctor promoting it . i dont monitor exact weights as i dont really have a big weight issue with a job and a farm to work on but i have lost some weight without any additional exercise . this time of year is a bit of a bugger but i know as soon as i adjust back all will be well. he promotes cutting most sugar from your diet which is what he claims is the real reason for weight gain. Fructose being the issue.... Gary has a website for those who are interested.just google. now for my bacon and eggs..Thumbs Up
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:40am
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/09/04/10-best-foods-to-eat/?utm_content=buffer41710&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by Browndog - 30 Dec 2014 at 7:32am
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 8:34am
That is very true re carbs but you want to enjoy the foods you eat as well, not many people can maintain that sort of eating style... couple of points below for those who exercise only.

For those who exercise in the afternoon the best time to have your 'carbs' would be after gym with dinner and/or before bed (eating lighter during the day)

Those who exercise in the morning can get away with some carbs in the morning right after their workout but I would generally follow the same steps above eating carbs for around dinner time then using that as fuel for your next morning workout.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The Hydehurst Hotel.... corner of Peel St and Punt Rd ........ Scottish pub owned and run by Greeks ..... lol
Sold in 1999 .......

Fascinating Confused

relevant to the topic too Ouch
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by SYT SYT wrote:

That is very true re carbs but you want to enjoy the foods you eat as well, not many people can maintain that sort of eating style... couple of points below for those who exercise only.

For those who exercise in the afternoon the best time to have your 'carbs' would be after gym with dinner and/or before bed (eating lighter during the day)

Those who exercise in the morning can get away with some carbs in the morning right after their workout but I would generally follow the same steps above eating carbs for around dinner time then using that as fuel for your next morning workout.
very true SYT re sticking to the diet. i for one cannot sacrifice my beer as life would not be worth living without it.LOL  i have found by going close to it with but still enjoying occasional treats that i have lost weight.as with most if you go hardcore you generally fail.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by lulu lulu wrote:

Folks a sure way to lose some flab but much, much more importantly., feel so much better. Is to rid your diet of any wheat and soy products. They are poison. No bread unless it is spelt based. No vegetable oils of any nature. Check your labels out before you buy. If you see vegetable oil. Soy or wheat mentioned , put it back. They are in so many products. Its all for shelf life and mass production purposes. Go old fashioned butter, not blended. Eggs? Help yourself.... Shop at local markets . Give the old supermarkets the old heave ho. Feel better and live longer. Add krill oil and vitamin d to your daily intake. As much fresh fruit and veg as you want. Source fresh red meat where you know it's history... As in no feed lot , corn fed full od antibiotic sick steers. I grow my own. Apple cider vinegar in water and check out Vital Green. I can assure anyone that they will feel better immediately.. And just one 30 minute brisk walk a day.

here we go, I have to laugh when I see people paying 50% more for gluten free products.

they generally have no idea what they are buying, what gluten is and why the products are supposed to be beneficial.
they have heard the catchy term and fall into it like the uninformed suckers they are.

good marketing I suppose
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sold in 1999 .......

Fascinating Confused

relevant to the topic too Ouch

it is where all the Celtic fans go to watch their beloved team play.

Great atmosphere.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 10:44am
My Smokers cough is great exercise and the walk to and from the fridge 24 times a day for a stubbie is all I need.
   I wrote down the LULU diet so I don't make an error and try it.
I would have all sorts of troubles at this stage of life if I get Pregnant.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:03am

Originally posted by lulu lulu wrote:

here we go, I have to laugh when I see people paying 50% more for gluten free products.

they generally have no idea what they are buying, what gluten is and why the products are supposed to be beneficial.
they have heard the catchy term and fall into it like the uninformed suckers they are.

good marketing I suppose

I am with you on this one Whale. Gluten free does my head in and costs 3 times as much.
My cousin follows every food fad there is. Her obsession with Paleo is bordering on cult-like. Painful.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:17am
https://www.google.com.au/#q=catalyst+gut+reaction+youtube
This program looked at old primitive diets where no modern diseases were present .
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:17am
Paleo is great Gets rid of all the crap out of your body.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:20am
subastral and i having a civil conversation and agreeing with each other .

that is wrong, not how it's meant to be Ouch
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:23am
Might not hurt me to get an obsession with a diet LOL  i am taking all this on board.  have to work out exactly what i will and wont do .  more exercise would definately help, but when there are so many aches and pains etc, its very difficult to get motivated.  
and when one prefers a big T bone to salmon and a lettuce leaf,  its even worse Cry
10 years ago i was size 12 and now i am size 18 and sometimes 20 , ladies clothes.  i started to gain when my hip went bad , and by the time it was done, the weight was on and oh boy its hard to shift.
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:27am
     Agree Sub .     But like myself , Diagnosed Celiac disease [ by a gastroenterologist by way of Villi biopsy for damage ] is a a sure tip to avoid gluten products as much as possible.
In Canada [ wheat producing country ,like Australia ] Celiac problems are big.
Much like the Organic foods and bottled waters ,   The opportunity for stealing the customers money is cruel.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:32am
I still eat everything but I have a limit, like a wall which stops me from overdoing it.

Whereas in the past I would have 3 South Melb dim sims for a snack, I now limit myself to 1

In the past I would have had chips, 3 dim sims ,3 potato cakes for dinner, I now limit myself to 1 grilled fish, 1 dim, 1 potato cake

I rarely eat a really big meal and restrict calories to 600 twice a week.

So I still enjoy the unhealthy but tasty food I always have but I have inbuilt limits these days

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 11:52am
That's OK for you lucky people , gifted with some "will" power.   
      I'm a hopeless terror in that area but can be strong enough to have None.
No cigarettes I can do with only little cravings but I can't have One or I'm a dead duck. [ Gone for 20 a day ]
One piece of chocolate and the whole block is gone.
The Girls love me at a party but that's another story.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Paleo is great Gets rid of all the crap out of your body.

I've never heard of a Paleo diet but the concept sounds very similar to the Catalyst Program "Gut Reaction". The idea is that with modern use of antibiotics and a modern processed diet we have dramatically changed the natural gut microbes that are good for us and allowed the proliferation of bad ones .

A totally new area of biology that science seems to have little understanding of .

We have a pony at home that has never had antibiotics in its life and when we have a horse sick with diarrhea we use the manure from the pony into the diet of the sick horse . You often see foals who have an upset gut search out the fresh manure of their mums to eat . I believe its all about rebalancing the gut bacteria . Its one reason we should never use oral antibiotics as injectable is the way to go .
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:44pm

This Catalyst program from a few weeks ago was on Paleo style Low Carb lifestyle

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:46pm
There are paleo restaurants too.  Well, at least one.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:49pm
It is gaining traction Plenty of online resources and shopping outlets The major supermarkets are stocking more things all the time Plenty of online information This guy Mark Sisson has the best online site. Also good is Rob Wolf 

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:09pm
isn't paleo just the Atkins diet revisted..??
Panspermia.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
No. Atkins re-incorporates carbs after the Induction phase until you are almost the same as the CSIRO Diet by maintenance phase

Paleo, you have hardly any carbs going forward and no starch or sugar carbs at all

The only carbs you have is from some fruit, if you feel you need it and from non starch vegetables

You eat nothing white at all
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
They are both based on ketogenic weight loss though
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:21pm
It shouldn't be that complicated to lose weight, what a world Ouch
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 2:03pm

It shouldn't be that complicated to lose weight, what a world Ouch

Bloody hell, I agree with Whale again.....
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:10pm
 it's just common sense...unfortunately most people do not have common sense...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>