Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Echuca horse sales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Echuca horse sales
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:08pm
Anyone know how I can get their monthly list of horses?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:38pm
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/pages/Echuca-Horse-Sales/157582900972357
                  www.facebook.com/echucahorsesale
Try those 2 & the only reputable group who'll bid for you are:
www.facebook.com/HorseAtAuction?ref=br_tf          Friends can't speak more highly of them.
Poor Little Critter was 'saved' by a friend last sales, definitely from the knackery as he was a real mess in terms of soundness & a rig tho very quiet Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 08 Apr 2016 at 11:07am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
WhiteRidge View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WhiteRidge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 10:07pm
Yes, you will have to go through Horses at Auction - bidding group Gay linked too. They usually have the photos still up of previous sales, but they are not always id'd. I try to id most of the tbs that i see the photos of, but some do get missed.
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:41am
Thanks
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:26pm
A lovely endorsement on FB Smile

I want to Firstly congratulate the team at HAAP, Today they bid and won on 30 horses for other people!! This Team led by Belinda PugRescue Goyarts are AMAZING! They are professional and cover all bases for their clients, They travel a long way each Weds sale eve, photograph and put up details of the horses, provide assessment of horses by an experienced horseman, spend all day answering clients questions, bid for their clients and then feed and care for the purchased horses after sale!! Some of these horses were headed for the doggers truck and if HAAP didn't do what they do each sale their would be so many more heading that way THANKYOU HAAP from everyone that has a 'horsy' bone in their body, you girls rock!!!!!! Kerrie Dean, Nik Crumpton, Heather Johns and sorry I dont know the other girls names. Love Love Love you guys

Farmermick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Farmermick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:01am
Yes, that is fantastic. Not many get the accolades deserving for those who rehome the thoroughbreds that crappy owners send to the knackery etc. Should be a fine for the owners and awards for the like as mentioned above.
Ethical Farming
Boutique Horse Stud
Medicinal Plant Research
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:27am
its nice to know some horses go to good homes.
many kudos to those who rescue these horses.
but they should not have to.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
This is the sort of instance that does the industry no credit Disapprove

Call to arms!!! There is a mare going through the sales tomorrow, who is definitely a good brood propect. She is by High chapparal! Anyone who can help save her?

Every week there are similar going thru' with ppl rallying to save them either from Echuca or Pakenham but there'll come a time when ideal homes reach saturation point. What can be done? I've absolutely no idea Confused

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:28am
Guys - anybody know the website for this auction? I am keen to have a look.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:33am

Embedded image permalink

whitto, there's no website that I know of, only the FB groups helping out & they're pretty organised now. Amanda Nouveau is a member here & a rescue. The sale is today.This is one reputable group, they're closed but you could message https://www.facebook.com/groups/458404900883326/
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008145256184&fref=nf&pnref=story Amanda would be your best bet Wink or Kristen

Call to arms!!! There is a mare going through the sales tomorrow, who is definitely a good brood propect. She is by High chapparal! Anyone who can help save her?

Amanda Nouveau is 1 alias of convicted multiple scammer/horse abuser Amanda Yelland also found here as Tierce Surprise (at least Confused)

Edited by Gay3 - 08 Apr 2016 at 11:13am
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 11:01am
I am interested in Sun Lass - will contact Kristen
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 3:25pm
Another example of what's going thru', this guy sold to Q'land, sight unseen Smile

This colt is at the sale yards today at echuca and yes all colts stallions usually go on the one way journey.
He is by Artie Schiller out of Submit/ Encosta De Lago, named Imperial King lovely 2 yr old colt apparently there for unpaid agistment so great bargain, should go for around the $270 Mark . Let me know as I can organise bidding etc

Embedded image permalink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:29pm

Stephenson secures bright future for mares

• James Tzaferis
  • http://rv.racing.com/news/2015-02-03/stephenson-secures-bright-future-for-mares

One of the mares purchased by Stephenson

The loud whinnies of confused horses ring out across the capacious Echuca Horse Sale complex regardless of whose hand is raised to place a bid and determine their future.

But unlike some of her bidding rivals who clamour around iron pens to gaze upon the 120 or so horses of varying breeds on offer in the sale, Kylie Stephenson is purchasing horses to return to the industry from which they came.

A small-time Victorian breeder who manages a band of six broodmares at Cora-Lynn Farm, Stephenson is part of a growing legion of passionate thoroughbred enthusiasts attending the Echuca Horse Sale every fortnight with the intention of cataloguing and re-homing as many thoroughbreds as possible.

Together with members from Racing Victoria’s (RV) Equine Welfare Department and Horses at Auction – a volunteer group that places bids on behalf of those unable to attend the sale in person – every effort is made to ensure a safe future for the retired thoroughbred racehorses that land in a pen at Echuca.

Stephenson is particularly interested in the older mares that find their way to Echuca, believing that many of them can be utilised in the Victorian breeding industry.

“A group of us have been working on this for about four months and apart from one person, we’re all small breeders,” Stephenson said.

“Because of our breeding history, we started doing background searches on these mares’ pedigrees and found that many were quite good mares and could have a future back in the industry.”

With the help of social media and the large networking channels of like-minded individuals, Stephenson has been responsible for finding new homes for more than 25 horses offered through the ring at Echuca.

Attending most of the fortnightly sales, Stephenson - sometimes with the help of others - identifies horses via their brands and shares their identity on the popular Kristen Manning Pedigrees and Thoroughbred Media Services Facebook page.

“I can’t take them all but these horses are better off going back into the industry than the alternative,” Stephenson said.

“We’ve been working well with Kristen (Manning) and she’s got over 5000 followers on her Facebook page now so it’s just growing in leaps and bounds.

“In the last few months we’ve rehomed a minimum of 25 mares.”

When she can’t secure them in the ring, Stephenson tracks horses that have been purchased by dealers, often providing a final lifeline for horses when no other buyer emerges.

This was the case with two mares Stephenson has now welcomed into her select band of broodmares at Cora-Lynn Farm – Cape Cross mare Supadiva and former jumper Beach D’Or.

A winner of five races and more than $40,000 from 34 career starts, Supadiva was retired and tried briefly as a mum, producing fillies by Elvstroem and Hold That Tiger.

Connections decided her post-racing talents would be better realised as an equestrian mount and sent the now 13-year-old to what they were told was going to be a loving home. They were mistaken.

Purchased at Echuca for a mere $300 by Laverton Pet Supplies (LPS), Supadiva was moved to the Bendigo property of Rehoming Horses Victoria, an organisation that offers buyers a final window of opportunity to secure a horse purchased by LPS.

“I saw her (Supadiva) come up on the Horses At Auction – Preview Facebook page when she arrived at Echuca but I didn’t actually know who she was on that day,” Stephenson said.

“I was later told by a racing person that she had been bought and was at Laverton (LPS) but luckily we were able to get her out of the yard and sent to Bendigo to be sold on by Rehoming Horses Victoria.

“Supadiva ended up getting fundraised for to be saved and the person that put up nearly all of the money to buy her was actually a racing person who knew her as a racehorse.

“The rescue group that was going to take her went to pick her up from Bendigo but she had sustained some injuries and they unfortunately decided not to take her.

“I got a mayday call to say that the horse was still there (Rehoming Horse Victoria) so I bought her home, rehabilitated her and she’s been going great.

“We’ve decided that we’re going to put her back in and breed with her this coming season because we think she’s an absolute cracker.”

It was a similar story for 13-year-old mare Beach D’Or, a successful steeplechaser and winner of more than $100,000 on the track, after her original racing owners gifted her to an individual that had pledged to re-educate the mare for a career in eventing.

“Another mare we’ve got is Beach D’Or and she is a similar story to Supadiva,” Stephenson said.

“Her owners, Mary and Colin Rees, who had the mare in Ballarat, bred with her but had trouble getting her in foal so they did the right thing by looking around for a suitable home for her as an eventer.

“They ended up giving her to people that, unbeknown to them, had intentions of taking her to Echuca Sales three days later to cash her in.”

Raised in a racing family – Stephenson is the niece of the late Bryan Muschialli, a respected bloodstock agent and passionate racehorse owner – the former FEI Dressage rider has been brought up to revere and love the animal, rather than value it as a commodity.

It’s this long association with the thoroughbred industry that sees her take affront to the claims by outsiders – usually animal extremist welfare groups opposed to racing – that owners, trainers and breeders have little regard for horse welfare in an industry in which dollar is king and battlers are out to make a quick buck.

“What we’ve seen is that a lot of the racehorse breeders and owners don’t put these horses here at Echuca – the vast majority of horses ending up at Echuca have been re-homed at least once since finishing their racing careers,” Stephenson said.

“If we can take out 25% of the thoroughbreds that end up at Echuca through dodgy dealing by people outside of the racing industry, it’s easier on the horses, it’s easier on the owners and it’s easier on me.

“Hopefully it will make owners and trainers a little bit more aware of how many suspect people there are outside of the industry.”

As part of its commitment to equine welfare, RV representatives will continue to attend the Echuca Horse Sale each fortnight to identify thoroughbreds for sale and provide courtesy service to alert owners, trainers and breeders to the presence of any former horses. 

Clap Clap Clap  Kylie & others like her deserve any accolades & luck that come their way Thumbs Up
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:02pm
Absolutely - legendary stuff by Kylie & the many others working with her.

I have followed all involved closely & the industry should be proud of this initiative.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:02pm
What's wrong with these people? Angry  White Knight was trained by Matthew Williams, part owned by Ritchie Callender & lobs at a knackery via Echuca saleyard this week. Could they not have found a home for him? Does Ritchie or any of the owners know? Guess they will shortly as it's all over social media.
I accept they all end up dead but for $300 less transport, possibly from W'nambool was it all too hard to have the horse put down where he was spelling if a decent home couldn't be found?
I accept this may be the result of owners of the 'forever home' being responsible, again, if so, why not check with the trainer if he could be returned or an alternative found Confused
Embedded image permalink
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:50pm
I'd swap Kadota for this one Gay

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:55pm
There's a chance he may be saved, albeit at a justifiable inflated price, thru' the efforts of Kylie Stevenson & co. (tribute on another thread) so he may well be available for that swap LOL Wink
Roidz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:38pm
I think we need to remember that Echuca is an auction house, not a slaughterhouse.

Yes, the gelding's owners could have done more. Yes, he could have been advertised on the various channels available to them and for all we know he could have been and it resulted in nothing. He's been looked after, his rehab had been started and with the exposure Echuca gets online every single week from HAAP, rescue groups etc. it is probably fair to say that they thought someone would take him on. Ex-jumpers, I understand, are popular retraining prospects. However, I also understand that tendon injuries make OTTBs less interesting to show homes (I had a bow tendon boy for awhile who was a stunner but dropped off the radar of every single possible showy home as soon as he did it).

According to one of the whacko groups he was purchased by a reseller who has already sold him on. So all in all, a success for the horse - provided he hasn't been purchased by a faux forever home. 

And honestly, from my impression via gossip, Callendar doesn't seem the type to be too interested in the rehoming thing; it was probably left to the trainer.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:50am
Callender has no home, he's a goner from TVN.....I'd like to re-home though, but Gay won't let me say where, probably for the best. 
AussieOi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieOi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:05pm
Actually going by twitter Richie paid the amount needed to save him, so he has a heart after all
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greenwood-Lake/604236969624888
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:26pm
 UPDATE on White Knight- we pick him up tomorrow yay and he will be joining Shailynns Horse Heaven group where he will never end up at the sales again Thank you to all the wonderful people in this group - we all love our Racehorses! Thank you to all people who offered to donate although a massive thank you to Richard Callendar for donating the full amount to get this boy into our care! Wowee thanks Guys - will continue to update on Blackie
This space has been intentionally left blank
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:38pm
great stuff Crooked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:50pm
that was just a copy and paste of facebook 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:53pm
I haven't seen the source but know 'they' didn't want to make it public untill after the horse is picked up tomorrow. Hope all goes to plan.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:54pm
whoops haha, the bit i saw was on a public page anyway.
Oritah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oritah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:59pm
I cant believe a jumps horse ended up at the sales - they are sort after by the eventing fraternity :( 

Lawyer
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:18pm
Good on Richie.
animals before people.
Roidz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Oritah Oritah wrote:

I cant believe a jumps horse ended up at the sales - they are sort after by the eventing fraternity :( 

That tendon injury would have put a lot of people off I suspect. Like I said above, quite a few people immediately dropped off their interest in a gelding I had when he retired purely because his tendon was bung.

Glad Callander came through, as he (and all others in ownership) should.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:22pm
I know it's a sale, not a knackery, but it wouldn't hurt to put a reserve price on these horses to prevent the doggers buying them. We've rehomed 3 ex racehorses this season and with some slight time and effort we have always found them a good home.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Callender has no home, he's a goner from TVN.....I'd like to re-home though, but Gay won't let me say where, probably for the best. 

He's gone up about 10 notches in my book, I'll re-think my attitude to the big fella, good one Ritchie, I hope your act of kindness and good conscience rubs off on others. Go well!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>