Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Archie Alexander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

How many strangles cases have come out of the Weir stables and have never been reported?
  what a stupid and ridiculous comment.
theshu
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:33pm
Might as well substitute Hayes, Maher, Griffiths, Price, whoever.

Pointless, unanswerable, unsubstantiated query one would have thought.

Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Are you seriously saying that the biggest stable in the country has never had a horse with strangles and instead of reporting it, throw it out into a paddock away from the other stock? You are delusional. You wouldn't need to ask many down Ballarat way to find out for yourself.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:02pm
Or Caulfield, Cranbourne, Mornington, Flemington etc. Confused Why single out a specific Ballarat trainer? Swan Hill? Wangaratta? Warrnambool?
Either stop the not so sly insinuations or spit out facts Shocked

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:33pm
Exactly.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:56pm
Yeah you're right. It's not like he's ever tried to get around the stewards before, sorry.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:56pm
It’s pretty hard to cover up.
I don’t know what stables follow Mick Kent and inject? Perhaps Weir, Hayes etc also do that?

Who knows
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Yeah you're right. It's not like he's ever tried to get around the stewards before, sorry.

As Gay inferred, put up or shut up.
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:45pm
This is an interesting study showing just how long the Strangles virus can survive on any surface.  I was rather shocked, up to 30 days on the surface of a damp bucket.  

Vaccination doesn't totally prevent horses from contracting Strangles, but it certainly minimises the symptoms
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 5:30pm
A huge thanks to @ballaratturfclub and Burrumbeet for allowing us to work some very happy horses at Burrumbeet this morning. It certainly lifted morale and has done wonders for horses and probably more so, staff, to get out and about.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:37pm
Delighted to report that our stable has been cleared from quarantine, business as normal will resume tomorrow with runners at Caulfield. Many thanks to all the support and patience from owners, Ballarat Turf Club, vets at Ballarat Veterinary Practice and my fantastic team for their constant hard work.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
Cobalt Positive
Toms Knight. Kilmore 2/11/18
141 micrograms
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:10am
Ont think a trainer would go near the stuff now. After reading what's been going on. I'm tipping its come from outside source ? Or very dumb! But he comes across like he is reasonably intelligent.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
Or they’re just microdosing and occasionally missing the mark. Not like people have stopped using EPO. Easy enough when being an OTI trainer will get you off or you can blame the feed.
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 11:24am
Gave it some thought? But micro does? Do you really think you would get enough bang for your buck? To risk your career??
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm
I think the cyclists have found immense benefit from microdosing testosterone and other anabolics, EPO and I'm sure countless other drugs. In what is often a game of inches, I wouldn't put it past anyone to push the boundaries for what they think could gain them even the slightest edge and thousands of dollars.
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:26pm
Do not doubt anything in this game. But up and coming sort of guy? U r nearly suggesting that is how he thinks he got to were he is? But , i just don't think any sane trainer would be doing that ! I have no idea if he is sane!!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Or they’re just microdosing and occasionally missing the mark. Not like people have stopped using EPO. Easy enough when being an OTI trainer will get you off or you can blame the feed.

🤔

reductio ad absurdum
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:57pm
I’m not necessarily suggesting he is definitely doing it, I’m just pouring a little cold water on the “who’d use cobalt in the current climate” argument. Up and coming would be the opportune time to do a little extra “training” and could well be why some are up and coming - have a look at Ben Smith and Ben Currie. Once you’re big, people will just keep coming through the door regardless.
to the victor
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:33pm
The issue is half lives with micro dosing and so called ‘glow times’ .... if trainers are microdosing cobalt and getting positives you’d ?? have to assume bioaccumulation science is correct...
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:37pm
This was an interesting recent study on blood transfusions and the effect of small amounts on performance...

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018 Nov 6. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001837. [Epub ahead of print]

Time Trial Performance Is Sensitive to Low-Volume Autologous Blood Transfusion.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

This study tested the hypothesis that autologous blood transfusion (ABT) of ~50% of the red blood cells (RBCs) from a standard 450 ml phlebotomy would increase mean power in a cycling time trial. Additionally, the study investigated whether further ABT of RBCs obtained from another 450 ml phlebotomy would increase repeated cycling sprint ability.

METHODS:

In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover design (3-month wash-out), nine highly trained male subjects donated two 450 ml blood bags each (BT-trial) or were sham phlebotomized (PLA-trial). Four weeks later, a 650 kcal time trial (n=7) was performed three days before and 2 h after receiving either ~50% (135 ml) of the RBCs or a sham transfusion. On the following day, transfusion of RBCs (235 ml) from the second donation or sham transfusion was completed. A 4×30 s all-out cycling sprint interspersed by 4 min of recovery was performed six days before and three days after the second ABT (n=9).

RESULTS:

The mean power was increased in time trials from before to after transfusion (P<0.05) in BT (213±35 vs. 223±38 W; mean±SD) but not in PLA (223±42 vs. 224±46 W). In contrast, the mean power output across the four 30 s sprint bouts remained similar in BT (639±35 vs. 644±26 W) and PLA (638±43 vs. 639±25 W).

CONCLUSION:

ABT of only ~135 ml of RBCs is sufficient to increase mean power in a 650 kcal cycling time trial by ~5% in highly trained men. In contrast, a combined high-volume transfusion of ~135 and ~235 ml of RBCs does not alter 4×30 s all-out cycling performance interspersed with 4 min of recovery.

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Jan 2019 at 5:59pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
Still not convinced! The guy couldn't b that silly to risk it all for what u guys call micro doseing. R u mainly relating it to bike riders? I didn't bother reading the storys
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Still not convinced! The guy couldn't b that silly to risk it all for what u guys call micro doseing. R u mainly relating it to bike riders? I didn't bother reading the storys

Personally I don’t think cobalt is being microdosed- EPO and anabolic agents a definite YES...
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:07pm
Cheers Gay for posting the article
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by skippy123 skippy123 wrote:

Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Personally I don’t think cobalt is being microdosed- EPO and anabolic agents a definite YES...

You don’t have to - it usually clears the system quickly, there’s a 3 year backlog for cases and if you’re a big trainer with big owners it’s always contamination.
to the victor
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:09pm
One argument I'll never ever buy is the "there's no way he'd risk it all by cheating" excuse.  If cheating is what got him to where he is, then of course he'd continue to cheat!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:18pm
Mr grieves. Really? Were is he in the scheme of things? He is just another horse trainer having a little success. That the press has taken a big shine to! Which has helped pump his stable numbers. To early to say he is good/bad/ordinary trainer yet? But seems to have an idea. Time will tell? There are hundreds like him!! But just thinking basic? Right now after all the drug investigations ? If you had half a brain you would be at least giving it a rest!! But then again I'm probably to gullible
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:46pm
Ballarat based-trainer Archie Alexander was left frustrated yesterday when his three-year-old gelding Lord Kensington was scratched at Hamilton just minutes before his race with stewards ruling there was a discrepancy with the off-side shoulder brand.

The grey gelding had been cleared by stewards ten days before when getting his barrier certificate, however, ten minutes before the scheduled start time at Hamilton, Alexander was contacted by stewards and informed of confusion regarding the brand on his galloper.

“I wasn’t on course and received a phone call ten minutes before the jump with confusion around the brand,” he said.

“They couldn’t tell if it was a 3 or a 6 and decided to scratch him just minutes before the race.

“It’s frustrating because he was cleared just ten days before when getting his certificate and then all of a sudden the same brand wasn’t clear enough.”

While Alexander understood the process, he believes common sense had to come to fruition and his horse should have been able to run.

“As I mentioned, it was the same brand that was passed, the microchip matched, the vet checked him and said his teeth were that of a three-year-old, we are a professional organisation, I think he should have been able to run,” he said.

“His owner lives internationally, imagine if he had of travelled to see him and then watch him get scratched over this confusion.”

Alexander is hopeful that he can target a maiden this week for his galloper and that some research by the stewards will ensure no confusion regarding the identification of his galloper.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:52pm
Has Archie been charged yet for his cobalt positive?
I’ll be putting even money on if the cobalt penalty or rule changes in the trainers favour, he’ll be charged after its introduction...
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Have heard glowing positives on Archie & then also the exact opposite.

Really dont know what to make of it

Been trained well so should have a good pedigree
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>