Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Japanese Horses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Horses
    Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 11:22pm
How good was Hana's Goal win today? Hope she did not have the same breakfast as Deep Impact in the Arc, we'll know in two weeks.

Delta Blues, Pop Rock and now Hana's Goal. They're not even at the pointy end of ability in their own country.

Are horses very expensive in Japan to buy or are there any significant barriers?

Why the current affair with Euro imports when there is so much quality in the land of the rising sun?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 11:32pm
20 years ago I watched Better Loosen Up win a Japan Cup. A year later Naturalism went within a whisker of doing the same. 

They've gone straight past us.
MelbourneRacing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 11:39pm
Disregarding today's winner, I think Australians generally have their heads in the sand when it comes to assessing the quality of our stayers.

They Sydney Cup is the second biggest 3200m race in the country and it was full of chaff bandits, barring the winner.

Who knows if The Offer will even take the next step.

If the best European two-miler came to Australia and adapted to the conditions well it would win a Melbourne Cup by panels.

Our staying ranks are so embarrassing and it all comes down to the fact that owners want a reasonably quick return on their investment and are not throwing cash on staying progeny at yearling sales.

The quality of the Derby and Oaks races around Australia are laughable. I don't have a problem with any of this, as I wouldn't want to spend heaps of money on a horse, only for it to be a slow one three years later.
Bright Day View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bright Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:08am
Japanese horses are 10 lengths better than anoy other horses in the whole wild world.

Cheers.

That is all.
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:14am
correct me if I'm wrong but I think Japanese races start timing about 50m after the start so I wouldn't be using race times as a comparison
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:23am
Originally posted by MelbourneRacing MelbourneRacing wrote:

Disregarding today's winner, I think Australians generally have their heads in the sand when it comes to assessing the quality of our stayers.

They Sydney Cup is the second biggest 3200m race in the country and it was full of chaff bandits, barring the winner.

Who knows if The Offer will even take the next step.

If the best European two-miler came to Australia and adapted to the conditions well it would win a Melbourne Cup by panels.

Our staying ranks are so embarrassing and it all comes down to the fact that owners want a reasonably quick return on their investment and are not throwing cash on staying progeny at yearling sales.

The quality of the Derby and Oaks races around Australia are laughable. I don't have a problem with any of this, as I wouldn't want to spend heaps of money on a horse, only for it to be a slow one three years later.

I can't agree on that. We know our stayers are rubbish. Heck, everyone does. The question is: are the rest of our horses much better? We produce some top class sprinters (and Lankan Rupee is world class), but beyond that, the internationals and Kiwis can fight it out.

I reckon our 2yos would stomp those overseas juveniles though...woohooo.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:24am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

20 years ago I watched Better Loosen Up win a Japan Cup. A year later Naturalism went within a whisker of doing the same. 

There are two main reason they have left us for dead.

1 They do not geld their best horses, Their best horse whether male or female retire to stud and keep improving the general stock in that country. Plus of course they import the best racehorses on the planet to stand in that country.

2. Superior training facilities and trainers.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:26am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

There are two main reason they have left us for dead.

1 They do not geld their best horses, Their best horse whether male or female retire to stud and keep improving the general stock in that country. Plus of course they import the best racehorses on the planet to stand in that country.

2. Superior training facilities and trainers.

3. They don't fork out squillions for 2yo races.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:27am
Is that an urban myth? ... nice way of saying they are not really faster horses!

I've hear this sort of thing suggested before, if it's true, why would they do it anyway?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:34am
Imagine Just a Way competed in the QE Stakes, that would be scary sight the likes of which we've never seen before at Randwick, perhaps except for Black Caviar in the TJ of 2011.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Pazman Pazman wrote:

Why the current affair with Euro imports when there is so much quality in the land of the rising sun?

The Europeans are very fashionable at the moment, as soon as an Aussie goes over and brings a Jap back and wins everyone will start doing it.

I would be interested what their stake money is like over there. Is the QE going to attract them? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:54am

How good was Hana's Goal win today? Hope she did not have the same breakfast as Deep Impact in the Arc, we'll know in two weeks.

Delta Blues, Pop Rock and now Hana's Goal. They're not even at the pointy end of ability in their own country.

Are horses very expensive in Japan to buy or are there any significant barriers?

They cost more.
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:59am
What would the Deep Impact's stud fee be these days?

Galileo is thought to be around the $200k USD by an article published a year ago.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:01am
And one other thing; why do all these Japanese horses have English names?
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:12am
They have more guts to their racing.

Fast tracks, fast tempos.

Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:13am

Translations.
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Sneck hit the nail on the head I feel. They don't have easy stallion making races over 1400m like All Too Hard cleaned up off dawdling tempos

Their horses are bred faster and tougher because their races are run at genuine tempos on big tracks every time. Limited Group 1's so the best horses can't hide from each other. I think we willbsee a few more in aus this year.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:22am

Translations.

Not true. Watch those old Deep Impact races with the Japanese caller. Deep  Impact-ah. And speaking of the champ, breathtaking: 

Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Group 1 Selections Group 1 Selections wrote:

Sneck hit the nail on the head I feel. They don't have easy stallion making races over 1400m like All Too Hard cleaned up off dawdling tempos

Their horses are bred faster and tougher because their races are run at genuine tempos on big tracks every time. Limited Group 1's so the best horses can't hide from each other. I think we willbsee a few more in aus this year.

They also have a limited number of boxes and a thorough ratings system. So quality gets filtered out. 80% horses bred are from the very top of Jspan, Hokkaido. I go there every 3rd year to ski amd there are alot of studs and they have undercoverec training facilities for te colder months. It's a very fertile area famous for fresh produce.
Keefy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keefy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:58am

Originally posted by Group 1 Selections Group 1 Selections wrote:

They also have a limited number of boxes and a thorough ratings system. So quality gets filtered out. 80% horses bred are from the very top of Jspan, Hokkaido. I go there every 3rd year to ski amd there are alot of studs and they have undercoverec training facilities for te colder months. It's a very fertile area famous for fresh produce.

Have you ever watched iron chef . It's all about quality.. And capes and gloves
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:01am
People often forget Makybe Diva went over there and got hammered. There is no doubt their stayers would make a mockery of the Melbourne Cup if they came back.
Keefy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keefy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:05am
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

People often forget Makybe Diva went over there and got hammered. There is no doubt their stayers would make a mockery of the Melbourne Cup if they came back.

Tracks are firm there. Not to her liking
oldmate View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:48am
Japan still has its slow horses to. Compare his travel partners margins from there to here.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/InteractiveForm/HorseAllForm.aspx?HorseCode=MzAwNDQyMTU3Ng%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceEntry=MjY5ODY0MzUxMTI%3d
oldmate View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:55am
What about the kid that is apprenticed to Les Bridge that rode the travelling partner in his races here. It looks like his riding career is going really good.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MjM3ODExMjk4NA%3d%3d
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 3:00am
The Japanese horses have always struggled to get decent Timeform ratings even if their form warrants it.

Todays QE11 cup in HK has Epiphaenia in it and he has been burning up the track.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Air Seattle Air Seattle wrote:

The Japanese horses have always struggled to get decent Timeform ratings even if their form warrants it.

Todays QE11 cup in HK has Epiphaenia in it and he has been burning up the track.

He has been burning up the tracks in Japan, I think he has struggled to see the training tracks in Hong Kong ?
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Air Seattle Air Seattle wrote:

And re the poor timeform ratings, that is more to do with the bunched finishes of their races.

Harp Star is the latest BOOM horse in Japan, She has only been beaten once and won the Japanese 1000 Guineas in impressive fashion, but the style of the finish would not have been conducive to a high rating. I have not seen what Timeform gave her for that performance.

THis is the Racing Post 3yo ratings for 2014 so far.

123118118Kingman3cInvincible SpiritGBJohn Gosden
119Isla Bonita3cFuji KisekiJPNHironori Kurita
117122122Toormore3cArakanGBRichard Hannon
116Ectot3cHurricane RunFRE Lellouche
116Mikki Isle3cDeep ImpactJPNHidetaka Otonashi
116To The World3cKing KamehamehaJPNYasutoshi Ikee
115Karakontie3cBernsteinFRJ E Pease
115One And Only3cHeart's CryJPNKojiro Hashiguchi
115Rosa Gigantea3cFuji KisekiJPNKazuo Fujisawa
115116116True Story3cManduroGBSaeed bin Suroor
115Win Full Bloom3cSpecial WeekJPNHiroshi Miyamoto
114Asia Express3cHenny HughesJPNTakahisa Tezuka
114Staphanos3cDeep ImpactJPNHideaki Fujiwara
114Xcellence3fChamps ElyseesFRF Doumen
113Harp Star3fDeep ImpactJPNHiroyoshi Matsuda
113Shonan Achieve3cShonan KampfJPNSakae Kunieda
113Shonan Wadachi3cShonan KampfJPNMasahiro Otake
113Vorda3fOrpenFRP Sogorb
reductio ad absurdum
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 4:40am
Some quirky Japaneses Racing Rules ....

Trainer gets 10%, Jockey gets 5% (7% for Jumps) and wait for this stapper/groom gets 5%! - no wonder their horses look so well presented!

If your horses breaks down on a JRA track - JRA pays you compensation.

Prizemoney for non-Japaneses residents is taxable - probably why so few from here campaign over there.
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 4:44am
ONLY 2256 registered owners with the JRA ... Certaintly the sport of kings over there!
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 4:47am
Indoor training track in Hokkaido ... Where they can get 6 meters of snow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>