Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Fiorente At Stud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiorente At Stud
    Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:23am
OK, broken down, so what are your opinions re his future as a stallion at stud? Lucas Cranoch, Americain, Shocking and now Fiorente. Will we give them all a decent opportunity or will it be try once and then let's see so that they serve very few mares after their initial seasons until they fly or crash?

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Dec 2016 at 8:51pm
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:10am
Jeune did okay, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but I find it easier to think these stallions have a better future as sires of steeplechasers.

breadnbutter View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadnbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:24am
from a scientific point of view why is it more difficult to pass on elite 'stamina' genes V 'speed' genes... OR is a good staying horse more about management and conditioning V genetic make up??

Is it a fair statement to say a slipper winner x another slipper winner a better chance to produce a slipper winner V melb cup winner x melb winner produce a melb cup winner?

early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:37am
Any Melb. Cup winning stallion should be sent straight to N.Z. where foals are given the time that history shows they need and the pool of mares suits the breeding of more stayers.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 4:44pm
How much will he stand for? $13K
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by breadnbutter breadnbutter wrote:

from a scientific point of view why is it more difficult to pass on elite 'stamina' genes V 'speed' genes... OR is a good staying horse more about management and conditioning V genetic make up??

Is it a fair statement to say a slipper winner x another slipper winner a better chance to produce a slipper winner V melb cup winner x melb winner produce a melb cup winner?

The thoroughbred is a balance of characteristics from speed to stamina.  Breeding too much to any one trait is doomed to failure.  However, given the nature of Australian racing, it is not possible to breed exclusively to stamina.  If you bred a horse that performed only at 3200m, there is no chance that they could even qualify to run in a Melbourne Cup.  Simply put, to fit within the Australian racing model, any successful "stayer" has to be competitive over a range of distances in order to gain prizemoney to qualify for the bigger races.  This model is different to overseas racing, and also the reason why we are now seeing some imported horses, who are qualified by nature of their overseas results, commencing first up over 2000m.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:33pm
I can't see why he wont be a very good chance of producing some quality 1600m to 2400m horses

Just because he won a cup means nothing, he did have a very good turn of foot.
Secretariat View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Secretariat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 2:19pm
Word on the street is Eliza Park
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm
Embedded image permalink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:39pm
I would have sent my broodmare to him if he was better priced
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 1:26pm
reductio ad absurdum
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 9:11pm
page not found
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 9:18pm
A bit like Fiorente as a SH sire: a step into the largely unknown.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:12pm
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 2:50am
When you know just enough to be dangerous, stats can make you look stupid.... but, the TrueNicks reports that I was looking at for Maxios' first crop listed higher than average SW/Runners figures for Shirley Heights & his descendants - up around 18% for the Darshaan branch. The benchmark (Monsun & anything) in these reports was 8%.

If these Monsun stats are any sort of guide, there might not be enough of that line out here for Fiorente to give it a real rip in the early days... despite the suitability of his bottom half?
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 8:33am
dont know how good your ref material is Red Hare but its well worth looking at the Shirley Heights x Sadlers Wells cross. huge numbers when it comes to stake winners.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 5:24pm
What I had meant to say was that the Monsun/Darshaan cross runs at 18%, which is above average compared to both the Monsun/Shirley Heights (Elegant Air, etc) cross and the 8% (Monsun/anything) benchmark.... Again, just based on the report I was looking at. I've no preference to the source, it's just where the links took me.

The Sadler's Wells/Fairy King/Nureyev triumvirate were all around the 8% benchmark, which was above their figures as broodmare sires. There's plenty of that out here.

Daughters of High Chaparral seem well placed?

Either way, I think Fiorente will leave a lasting legacy. Perhaps not as a 2yo influence, but there will be classic winners & Cup winners I'm sure.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 12:14pm

Fiorente filly from Libertas

First foal. Filly form Statue of Liberty Mare.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 12:44pm
Magic Millions - 3
Inglis Easter - 1
Inglis Classic - 0

120-odd live foals... Must be all lined up for Inglis Premier, or VOBIS Gold?
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:59pm
I'd imagine there would be a few in the stayers category in Inglis Premier, the blue riband?
StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:09pm
3 at Karaka Premier
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 3:06pm
What price the filly at Inglis December?

Just seven yearlings across the three biggest buying benches in SH & one in a tried horse sale... what gives?

Is the market waiting for a son of Monsun to light up the breeding barn?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 3:18pm
I'm guessing most are breed to racers & that filly'll probably pass in with such a poor dam side Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
willow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 6:17pm
who is this boneo horse ranch?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 6:34pm
Dunno Willow, but seem to remember they either bought or sold twins at one of this year's Inglis yearling or weanling sales.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by willow willow wrote:

who is this boneo horse ranch?
Tony Ottobre, according to Google. Owns a few with Weir (Jennio, Maddie Moo Moo, etc).
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:43am
29 catalogued for Premier.
4 in the blue riband session
14 in session 2

Hard to sell a staying pedigree in this town...
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 8:13am
Boneo Horse Ranch is Fran Houlahan and Brian Johnston.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Campaspe Campaspe wrote:

Boneo Horse Ranch is Fran Houlahan and Brian Johnston.
Oh... Thanks for nothing Google. Serves me right for following the SMH. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/china-horse-club-continues-spending-spree-20160811-gqqdb9.html 

Hope they have a big fill up at the sale.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:50am
Three catalogued in Tassie, one in Perth.

All up, he could be looking at a sales average of less than $40k, quite possibly less than $20k if the balance go through the VOBIS Gold sale.

Not a lot of meat on the bone after $17,600 service fee.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>