Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Climate Change - Global Warming..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 538>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:03pm
ROTFLMAO      Australia destroyed by Global warming , Climate change and a Labor Government .
Western Australia Recent flooding , The Ranges in deep Snow, Qld in drought and bushfires raging in NSW coastal to the Mountains.
A bit like the gay community .   Confused , don't know whether to give or take .       Sceptics dreamtime.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

ROTFLMAO      Australia destroyed by Global warming , Climate change and a Labor Government .
Western Australia Recent flooding , The Ranges in deep Snow, Qld in drought and bushfires raging in NSW coastal to the Mountains.
A bit like the gay community .   Confused , don't know whether to give or take .       Sceptics dreamtime.

hope there is someone to help you get up old timer  Smile
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:09pm
maxy if it is a scam, and King Tony thinks it is crap, why is he spending $2.9Billion of our money to stop it? What is he taking Direct Action against? Confused
Lastycoon View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastycoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:12pm
It is crazy this weather thing that just turned up out of the blue.

When I was a boy you knew what day it was by the temperature.  Summer solstice was 40 and winter was 10. We just used to calculate back and bang! that was the date (leap years got a bit tricky).  It rained every 8th day and on the 22nd of September it would hail.  

Hmm, maybe it was those pesky calendar people who caused all this "global warming".
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:12pm

Um, do some research Macca. It's these extremes of weather that are exactly what climate change scientists have predicted. Look at Sydney. Buckets down for several years of extremely heavy rainfall, and now 3 months of drought and high temps.
And the gay community comment. What a ridiculous and utterly irrelevant thing to say.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:04pm
Subastral.It as doing exactly the same in the 1930's as it is doing now.
We didn't have the technology to be on the scene when we had the worst drought in 1946 the shocking floods for some years to 1954 when half the country was underwater.    Windsor , Dubbo, Maitland Gilgandra Singleton etc [ where I was on flood relief } had submerged telegraph poles.     People lost their lives in earthquakes and were forgotten in a week.        Not a lot has changed.      They are ski riding near Canberra today.     Hobart 2 degrees .
Worry about importing Mad Religion and tribal Islanders, weapons of destruction, Germ warfare That will kill us long before a few . Hot, Wet, Cold Snowy days.
I was told in 1950 Tasmania would be under water by the year 2000
I witnessed people buying up all the candles in 1988 as the time had arrived for the world to plunge into darkness. Crazy stuff.
We have been there and it is a load of SHXT. Experts are divided and when they find out for sure I want to know who is the real God .   AND
Who will win the Melbourne Cup.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:30pm
Weather / Loss of life recorded.
Worst.   1899   cyclone Mahina well over 400 died
1929 Tasmania Flood 22 dead      1939 bushfires Vic 71 dead the accompanying heatwave over 400 died ...Floods 1952 to 54 devastating floods ,   Cyclones ada 1970 , Tracey 1974 and Brisbane floods 2000 houses submerged.
Has it become worse since 1899 or is it just better TV coverage.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Lastycoon Lastycoon wrote:

Whale,

While I was asleep did they suddenly create a universally accepted model for mapping this planets climate?.  

Have they tested and proved it beyond doubt using the scientific method?.

Have all the studies which have shown contrary results to these "climate change" papers and all the results of smaller related studies which appeared to show anomolous results been discredited?.

Of course they haven't.

Yes I will choose to remain sceptical.  This is a huge mysterious orb which we happen to coexist on.  I am well aware of how difficult modelling can be on scales and complexities far smaller than it.

You are entitled to you opinion and I will not begrudge you that.  But in a context such as this the least you can do is to offer something.

By the way, nice touch with the Bolt-Jones reference.  Really showed the level your batting at and where you get your info.

So let's be a little more specific. Rather than accuse an entire class of professionals of acting in bad faith, what precisely about the current consensus on climate change do you disagree with?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:16pm

Just another example of the human race totally overrating its importance imho. When the Universe decides planet earth needs a make-over it will just happen...bloke running the show up there must look down on us & laugh his head off !
Refer ALP Election Promises
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Just another example of the human race totally overrating its importance imho. When the Universe decides planet earth needs a make-over it will just happen...bloke running the show up there must look down on us & laugh his head off !

We are talking about science here. Fiction, sorry, I mean religion, has no place in a scientific discussion.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:41pm
One thing that always amuses me is that the whole point of this worry is to give our children and their children a good place to live in etc...

When did this become so important, what gens before us gave a hoot what condition the environment was in for us...?

Panspermia.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

One thing that always amuses me is that the whole point of this worry is to give our children and their children a good place to live in etc...

When did this become so important, what gens before us gave a hoot what condition the environment was in for us...?

Good point.     In fact they bombed shxt out of all of us and built Gas Chambers, Atom Bombs , Nuclear weapons , gasses , Biological materials .       Aids and the Hendra virus.
All the weather did was cause a few mudslides at Thredbo, a few trains off the lines and some flash floods.
I've been around long enough to hear Granma tell us of the Bushranger days and a spear or two in the back door. We do witness sad events , courtesy of TV but I don't see any change in the weather.    . Do you people
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:52am
maccamax should go talk to my aunt  - her proof that global warming doesn't exist is because it snowed in the Blue Mountains on Boxing Day in 1950something. I told her global warming wasn't something she'd need to worry about in her lifetime
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:56am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

We are talking about science here. Fiction, sorry, I mean religion, has no place in a scientific discussion.
Lets talk a bit of science Subby....planet Earth has been around 4.5 billion years...however lets limit it to the last 65 million years....latest scientific evidence shows that it is colder now than any other time during this period (we are talking 100,000yrs type time periods here). Now for the last 1.25 million years...we have had 13 ice ages each of approx. 90,000 yrs. each intertwined with the same number of interglacial warming periods of 10,000 years each...we are just coming to the end of one of these. And you blokes want to talk about variations year to year & a few early natural disasters...cobblers ! Think you'd be better off talking about religion Subby !
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:08am
I've spent the last 6 years watching it rain it's freakin ass off here and can't wait for our own scientist elite AKA Tim Flannery to be right with his prediction of "our dams will never be full again". How many floods have we had since then?

At least the last 2 months has seen some respite.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:22am
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

I've spent the last 6 years watching it rain it's freakin ass off here and can't wait for our own scientist elite AKA Tim Flannery to be right with his prediction of "our dams will never be full again". How many floods have we had since then?

At least the last 2 months has seen some respite.

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;">I love a sunburnt country,</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;">A land of sweeping plains,</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;">Of ragged mountain ranges,</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb245, 172, 92;">Of droughts and flooding rains.</span>

Yes Scamanda...don't want to panic anyone but Warragamba dropped to 93.6% as of yesterday morning...maybe time for another desal plant
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:37am
And that's it isn't it one one...we humans have again over rated ourselves and want to tell who ever will listen the sky is falling...again.

it's pretty strange stuff really...
Panspermia.
Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:38am

Um, do some research Macca. It's these extremes of weather that are exactly what climate change scientists have predicted. Look at Sydney. Buckets down for several years of extremely heavy rainfall, and now 3 months of drought and high temps.
And the gay community comment. What a ridiculous and utterly irrelevant thing to say.
but Subby, we had droughts and floods in Aust forever. And even though climate is warming it is warming at slow, slow rates, like 0.01%. Not actual figure but you get idea. Not enough to make difference.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:34am

Lets talk a bit of science Subby....planet Earth has been around 4.5 billion years...however lets limit it to the last 65 million years....latest scientific evidence shows that it is colder now than any other time during this period (we are talking 100,000yrs type time periods here). Now for the last 1.25 million years...we have had 13 ice ages each of approx. 90,000 yrs. each intertwined with the same number of interglacial warming periods of 10,000 years each...we are just coming to the end of one of these. And you blokes want to talk about variations year to year & a few early natural disasters...cobblers ! Think you'd be better off talking about religion Subby !

Simplistic nonsense. Of course we know temperature has varied greatly over the millennia but there is always a reason, or a "forcing" for it. In the last 150 years the temperature has risen more than in the previous several thousand, and scientists are certain (well 95% certain-despite what others in here will have you believe, they tend to be by nature, a cautious bunch), that human emissions is the predominant forcing.

I suggest you take a harder look at the science, oneone. A smattering of facts mingled with your own home-spun wisdom won't cut it, unfortunately.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

And that's it isn't it one one...we humans have again over rated ourselves and want to tell who ever will listen the sky is falling...again.

it's pretty strange stuff really...

What a bizarre line of argument. I would have thought "over-rating" yourself would be to believe you can pump anything you like into the environment with impunity.

Even worse is the concept, seemingly and increasingly prevalent in society, that you don't need to the science to address incredibly complex problems, but that your own logic will suffice.

Now that is "over-rating" yourself to a breathtaking degree.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Simplistic nonsense. Of course we know temperature has varied greatly over the millennia but there is always a reason, or a "forcing" for it. In the last 150 years the temperature has risen more than in the previous several thousand, and scientists are certain (well 95% certain-despite what others in here will have you believe, they tend to be by nature, a cautious bunch), that human emissions is the predominant forcing.

I suggest you take a harder look at the science, oneone. A smattering of facts mingled with your own home-spun wisdom won't cut it, unfortunately.
C'mon Judge...if we were around during one of the past ice ages blokes like you would have had a hundred reasons how "WE THE HUMAN Race" were responsible for it. Get over this one mate & start getting behind the next big thing that is going to knock the planet out...sheesh ! And as for Subbys earlier comment that scientists have no vested interest...cobblers...of course its in their general interest to keep this line going...obvious I would have thought...most would have the conclusion written before collecting any data !
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 11:01am
Do scientists have vested interests, or is it the economists, lobbyists and their masters the politicians  interpretations of scientists work that is vested?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 11:09am

Fair comment BD...all of the above use this topic ad nauseum to fit their agendas
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:03pm
Analyse a Scientist for me ...          An easy word to drop but worth nothing usually.      They don't agree on complex matters so your no better off.       Climate hasn't changed one bit , weather cycles have been the same for centuries.
A few desalination plants half built due to Scientist advice.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:13pm
Again the masses are faked into a psuedo political issue.

This is like same sex marriage. Marriage is a religious ceremony and institution. If you want same sex couples recognised as married then talk to the pope or your rabbi or your mufti but please leave the politicians out of it.

Same thing here.

Global warming and climate change have been rolled into the extreme weather changes the planet is going through.

The frequency of droughts and the severity of those droughts especially in Australia is increasing, and anyone who does not think that is someone not worth debating the issue on.

There are more severe floods and bushfires in other countries around the world and there is also a more devaststing number of catastrophic natural events such as the tsunami, Hurricane Katrina /Sandy and earthquakes, than we have seen in human history.

These events are not just caused by global warming and climate change, but there are several issues which combine to make these evnets more devastating than they should be and the governments and scientists need to blame something which they can not control, mother nature.

Governments have the ability to lessen the effect of severe climate or weather conditions or those resulting from these extreme patterns but they, for some reason chose not to use this ability.

Climate change is real. I lived in Sydney from 1975 to 2010 and in the last 15 years of that time period you could feel the climate change from a fairly mild, temperate one to a similar one to Brisbane, becoming more tropical and with more infrequent rainfall, but with heavier rainfall when it did rain. It is more humid in Syndey these days than it used to be and I feel that this trend will continue for the next ten years until Melbourne sees this change.

Global Warming may be happening on a statistical level (so we may be expriencing temperature increases of say 1 to 2 degrees on average in all regions of the world) but that happens on Earth with every climate cycle.

The real question that needs to be asked on this issue is what we can do to limit the frequency and results of the extreme weather patterns we are experiencing?

I have no doubt that lowering the carbon emissions would help, that would help alot, but I do not think we need to forgo a certain standard of living just to accomplish this.

We have done the studies and found out that carbon emission beyond a certain level are harmful to society so why not just aim at lowering the levels to the allowed threshold and continue on with business.

If that means some mines will need to shut down for six months a year well thats what needs to be done. If it means we move to natural gas instead of petroleum for our vehicles then so be it and if it means we have to start using magnetic levitation technology for mass land based transportation sysmtems then lets do it.

If the mining inudstry only has supply for six months then the material they are mining becomes even more expensive as the supply is limited and the market is the same so they will not lose money and they can keep making their current profits.

There is always an answer for doing something. But politicians do not wish to do anything that will a. upset the voters or b. upset business.

So again we need to ask who is running the country?            
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:21pm
What utter rubbish.     Noting climate change in Sydney since 1975.     Many of us who were there long before 1975, haven't noted any change whatsoever.    Imagination has overcome some people.
Same old weather patterns everywhere.     Still flooding in Area's where they haven't put in Dams. The Brisbane floods , a repeat.
The worst disaster in Australia was Cyclone Mahina 4/3/1899.
          All those gasses back then aye.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Again the masses are faked into a psuedo political issue.

This is like same sex marriage. Marriage is a religious ceremony and institution. If you want same sex couples recognised as married then talk to the pope or your rabbi or your mufti but please leave the politicians out of it.

Same thing here.

Global warming and climate change have been rolled into the extreme weather changes the planet is going through.

The frequency of droughts and the severity of those droughts especially in Australia is increasing, and anyone who does not think that is someone not worth debating the issue on.

There are more severe floods and bushfires in other countries around the world and there is also a more devaststing number of catastrophic natural events such as the tsunami, Hurricane Katrina /Sandy and earthquakes, than we have seen in human history.

These events are not just caused by global warming and climate change, but there are several issues which combine to make these evnets more devastating than they should be and the governments and scientists need to blame something which they can not control, mother nature.

Governments have the ability to lessen the effect of severe climate or weather conditions or those resulting from these extreme patterns but they, for some reason chose not to use this ability.

Climate change is real. I lived in Sydney from 1975 to 2010 and in the last 15 years of that time period you could feel the climate change from a fairly mild, temperate one to a similar one to Brisbane, becoming more tropical and with more infrequent rainfall, but with heavier rainfall when it did rain. It is more humid in Syndey these days than it used to be and I feel that this trend will continue for the next ten years until Melbourne sees this change.

Global Warming may be happening on a statistical level (so we may be expriencing temperature increases of say 1 to 2 degrees on average in all regions of the world) but that happens on Earth with every climate cycle.

The real question that needs to be asked on this issue is what we can do to limit the frequency and results of the extreme weather patterns we are experiencing?

I have no doubt that lowering the carbon emissions would help, that would help alot, but I do not think we need to forgo a certain standard of living just to accomplish this.

We have done the studies and found out that carbon emission beyond a certain level are harmful to society so why not just aim at lowering the levels to the allowed threshold and continue on with business.

If that means some mines will need to shut down for six months a year well thats what needs to be done. If it means we move to natural gas instead of petroleum for our vehicles then so be it and if it means we have to start using magnetic levitation technology for mass land based transportation sysmtems then lets do it.

If the mining inudstry only has supply for six months then the material they are mining becomes even more expensive as the supply is limited and the market is the same so they will not lose money and they can keep making their current profits.

There is always an answer for doing something. But politicians do not wish to do anything that will a. upset the voters or b. upset business.

So again we need to ask who is running the country?            

I think you've raised some good points. Unfortunately this has become hopelessly politicised, and what is essentially a practical problem requiring a practical solution is being used as a wedge.

It wouldn't take much political courage or goodwill to come to a sensible arrangement (as we so nearly did), but regrettably those commodities are in rather short supply.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:51am

What utter rubbish.     Noting climate change in Sydney since 1975.     Many of us who were there long before 1975, haven't noted any change whatsoever.    Imagination has overcome some people.
Same old weather patterns everywhere.     Still flooding in Area's where they haven't put in Dams. The Brisbane floods , a repeat.
The worst disaster in Australia was Cyclone Mahina 4/3/1899.
          All those gasses back then aye.
Absolutely Maxy...people have short memories...what about the The Fishers Ghost Bridge going under in 1962...locals still talk about it....cut off the short cut to the Good Intent Pub !
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:34am
Came over dull in Brisbane this afternoon.
Bluddy climate change .      I was trying to get a tan.
Short_Half_Head View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:57am
Man affecting climate change is like a jockey influencing the result of a race..
You know it should be happening but overall your not sure the little cup cakes really have the carbon footprint.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 538>