Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NSW Bushfires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:30pm
News just in says a water bombing plane has crashed in the Snowies with 3 people on board...lets all hope they are alive .  Terrible news if right.
animals before people.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

You want to lecture us on co2 and photosynthesis but you have no idea what N, P and K are ?

Entertaining isn't it? Although I think he's using his angle he likes to use about a couple words being spelt incorrectly (I post off my phone), he turns to this method when he has nothing else.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Hey Doc, does your foot hurt and do you have a licence for that pistol?

Would he even know he shot himself in the foot? He presents himself as an expert on photosynthesis yet has no idea what N, P or K stand for.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Shouty, you clearly have little idea on this and are just shouting from an anti-climate change point of view, try sticking to something you know.

P.S. yes we all know about the greenhouse effect and how plants use CO2 however your assertion that continually increasing CO2 levels and temperatures will see continually increasing yields is simply not true.

You are not serious are you grumpy?Wacko

You have not read anything on this have you?

It doesn't take a lot of research to confirm that most plant life on the planet will continue to benefit and increase yields to optimum levels at CO2 levels more than double the current ... so beneficial warming is GOOD.Big smile

You don't know that, you say it's untrue based on nothing, and that just makes you an ignorant blinkered indoctrinated science "denier".Embarrassed

Stick to the cricket.Ouch

Shouty, try to be factual.

Mu initial post was making the point that if climate chane occurs as predicted, vast areas of land traditionally suitable for farmimg would at the very least have reduced production capacity. ... some English would be helpful Embarrassed

You then go on one of your rants about how increased temperature and CO2 levels have increased yields. ... I love your description of facts as "rants"

I respond that improved irrigation techniques, fertilising, improved propagation methods and even genetic modification have also played a part in this. ... Thank you Captain Obvious - I already covered and acknowledged that you know what everyone else knows - well done!Clap

You respond with the claim nobody is denying these play a part, despite this quote

Do you understand that the temperature has risen 0.9 degrees in 140 years ... crop yields have increased FIVE FOLD since 1940 ... due to a combination of slight warming and increased CO2 - PLANT FOOD DUMMY!  ... all facts.

No mention of the other factors I mention there shouty? Almost reads like your trying desperately to claim that increased CO2 alone led to increased yields... just trying to help you learn something

You then claim again that I've 'not read up on this' and start banging on about how good increased CO2 levels will be for crop yields, why do you continue to bang on about this, despite the fact I haven't denied the importance of CO2 for plants once? ... excellent, now you just need to acknowledge it!

Hey shouty, question for you to finish, if we double the CO2 levels but have no n, p or k available amymore, will we still see increased yields? ... Great question ... what the fcuk does it even mean???Wacko

... you are talking a lot, but you keep saying nothing sneezy ... and you seem to be drunk.

I love this method of arguing, where you claim to have said something despite posts actually showing you didn't, that takes special talent.

Also shouty, since your such a fan of google, try using it to search for Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), it may help you get a better grasp of things. Also if you have a bag of fertiliser for your tomato, lemon and lime plants I mentioned earlier, check it out, chances are it'll have an NPK blend in it
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

News just in says a water bombing plane has crashed in the Snowies with 3 people on board...lets all hope they are alive .  Terrible news if right.

This is terrible, fingers crossed.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:07pm
Three allegedly deceased according to media reports which is the very worst kind of news.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm
RFS commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons has confirmed 3 American crew members have died in the crash.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
Will wait for quite some time, because of the respect due to the deceased, before questioning just how old the bomber was and how many flying hours it had run up first with the RAAF and later in its modified current role.  

ps the most recent RAAF C130 craft were purchased over 20 years ago and this one could possibly have been up to 40 years older 

pss Scott wouldn't entertain for a moment the very idea of purchasing made-for-purpose bombers as continually lobbied for by so many ex firefighting leaders way back in April 2019, and just spent $25 million leasing two craft from overseas when one could've been actually purchased for that cost six months ago.  Way to go Ad Man.  Dead
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm
Oh, so one of the rentals?  However the same questions about age and Scomo's refusal to purchase off the assembly line remain.

Vale the Americans.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
Plane Canadian owned ?  OMG thats tragic.  3 blokes came all the way over here to help us and now going home to their families in coffins.   So so sad.
animals before people.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Plane Canadian owned ?  OMG thats tragic.  3 blokes came all the way over here to help us and now going home to their families in coffins.   So so sad.

Agree.
It may mean little, but the Big Bash cricket tonight which will have a larger audience due to what game it is, should hold a minutes silence for this crew that just died from America.

We bond over sport and show things have meaning, outside of sport, I hope BBL cricket gets on top of this one today. 

They died to save our country. They are extraordinary heroes and this is a very sad tragedy.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:32pm
This is so sad. We drove past the Richmond base this morning and I commented how good it was to see all the water bombers on the tarmac . A good sign the fires were under control. On the way back one was taking off and I thought I’d jinxed them! This is such a tragedy. They are extraordinary pilots who work in the worst possible conditions . Condolences to the families.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:05pm
That one taking off may be the one down, as they said it took off from  Richmond and made it over Cooma before it turned and went down east of there ?
I must say I agree with Redemption . They are the unsung heros, and a minute,s silence for them would be nice.
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:10pm
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:08am

Shouty, you clearly have little idea on this and are just shouting from an anti-climate change point of view, try sticking to something you know.

P.S. yes we all know about the greenhouse effect and how plants use CO2 however your assertion that continually increasing CO2 levels and temperatures will see continually increasing yields is simply not true.

You are not serious are you grumpy?Wacko

You have not read anything on this have you?

It doesn't take a lot of research to confirm that most plant life on the planet will continue to benefit and increase yields to optimum levels at CO2 levels more than double the current ... so beneficial warming is GOOD.Big smile

You don't know that, you say it's untrue based on nothing, and that just makes you an ignorant blinkered indoctrinated science "denier".Embarrassed

Stick to the cricket.Ouch

Shouty, try to be factual.

Mu initial post was making the point that if climate chane occurs as predicted, vast areas of land traditionally suitable for farmimg would at the very least have reduced production capacity. ... some English would be helpful Embarrassed

You then go on one of your rants about how increased temperature and CO2 levels have increased yields. ... I love your description of facts as "rants"

I respond that improved irrigation techniques, fertilising, improved propagation methods and even genetic modification have also played a part in this. ... Thank you Captain Obvious - I already covered and acknowledged that you know what everyone else knows - well done!Clap

You respond with the claim nobody is denying these play a part, despite this quote

Do you understand that the temperature has risen 0.9 degrees in 140 years ... crop yields have increased FIVE FOLD since 1940 ... due to a combination of slight warming and increased CO2 - PLANT FOOD DUMMY!  ... all facts.

No mention of the other factors I mention there shouty? Almost reads like your trying desperately to claim that increased CO2 alone led to increased yields... just trying to help you learn something

You then claim again that I've 'not read up on this' and start banging on about how good increased CO2 levels will be for crop yields, why do you continue to bang on about this, despite the fact I haven't denied the importance of CO2 for plants once? ... excellent, now you just need to acknowledge it!

Hey shouty, question for you to finish, if we double the CO2 levels but have no n, p or k available amymore, will we still see increased yields? ... Great question ... what the fcuk does it even mean???Wacko

... you are talking a lot, but you keep saying nothing sneezy ... and you seem to be drunk.

I love this method of arguing, where you claim to have said something despite posts actually showing you didn't, that takes special talent.

Also shouty, since your such a fan of google, try using it to search for Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), it may help you get a better grasp of things. Also if you have a bag of fertiliser for your tomato, lemon and lime plants I mentioned earlier, check it out, chances are it'll have an NPK blend in it

There you go bashful, that makes much more sense!Clap

I should have guessed that if there was anything that you would be an expert on - other than cricket - it would be "fertiliser"!LOL

So I'll let you open your mouth and pour out all you know about "fertiliser" for us ...
as irrelevant to my point as it may be, knock yourself out, show us what a "fertiliser" Artist you are, I can't wait to learn all of the "fertiliser" facts you know.

I hope you appreciated that I didn't mention Bullgelati once!Wink 

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:13am

Oh, so one of the rentals?  However the same questions about age and Scomo's refusal to purchase off the assembly line remain.

Vale the Americans.
So you actually went there, and politicised the death of three US volunteers, blaming your own PM, who has just lost his father, without even knowing what actually happened ... well  that's a cup cake act ... but I don't blame you, you are just a "useful idiot", nobody expects more or less.Ouch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:28am
Gee shouty, you really have no idea about this do you?

Fertiliser = plant food. Since you've been banging on about CO2 being a plant food I figured you may have a grasp of the other requirements for plants but apparantly not.

I know where your trying to go with this, you know you've made yourself look like a fool so you slip into true character and try belittle me rather than be a man and admit you were wrong, if that makes you fell better to yourself all power to you mate.   
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:34am

It really is entertaining watching softy "help" Afros ... it's like watching Bill "help" Albo!LOL

Not as entertaining as watching a moron at work.
At least now you’ll be able to offer the gardeners some useful advice at the facility Doc, well done
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm

Does anyone know if Doc's back from the, er, Doc yet?  

And if so, what his limb trauma and co2 levels were?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm

Gee shouty, you really have no idea about this do you?

Fertiliser = plant food. Since you've been banging on about CO2 being a plant food I figured you may have a grasp of the other requirements for plants but apparantly not.

I know where your trying to go with this, you know you've made yourself look like a fool so you slip into true character and try belittle me rather than be a man and admit you were wrong, if that makes you fell better to yourself all power to you mate.   

How could I belittle you any further - other than by letting you tell us all what you know ... please regale us with more of your "fertiliser" stories ...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

It really is entertaining watching softy "help" Afros ... it's like watching Bill "help" Albo!LOL

Not as entertaining as watching a moron at work.
At least now you’ll be able to offer the gardeners some useful advice at the facility Doc, well done

I'm waiting for Afros to spread some more "fertiliser" ... 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm

Does anyone know if Doc's back from the, er, Doc yet?  

And if so, what his limb trauma and co2 levels were?

All good SC, thanks for your concern - you can imagine how shocked I would be to find something half sensible embedded in all of Afros' gibberish!!! ... but I'm much better now thanks, and I really don't need you talking more cow manure either, thanks all the same.Big smile
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
I'll keep it simple for you shouty, Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus are known as the big three in terms of plant growth, no NPK, no plant growth. You really are making yourself look like a fool here all because your ego doesn't allow you to admit your wrong.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
Well in a roundabout sort of way Afros Doc has finally admitted he doesn’t know schit.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:44pm

I'll keep it simple for you shouty, Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus are known as the big three in terms of plant growth, no NPK, no plant growth. You really are making yourself look like a fool here all because your ego doesn't allow you to admit your wrong.

So just to be clear, your contention is;

People who grow plants in controlled conditions in Greenhouses and report the effects of higher CO2 levels that result in exponential improvements in yields and growth rates - that's just a load of "fertiliser".

.... and you are saying that farmers have only discovered cow manure and chook poo in the past few years.

OK ... that's enough Disney Channel for you!Embarrassed
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

Well in a roundabout sort of way Afros Doc has finally admitted he doesn’t know schit.

... au contraire ... but I would concede that Afros' knowledge of schit is superior to mine, and if you are looking for an opinion on cricket of manure ... Afros is the "go to guy"!Thumbs Up
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:45am

So just to be clear, your contention is;

People who grow plants in controlled conditions in Greenhouses and report the effects of higher CO2 levels that result in exponential improvements in yields and growth rates - that's just a load of "fertiliser".

.... and you are saying that farmers have only discovered cow manure and chook poo in the past few years.

OK ... that's enough Disney Channel for you!Embarrassed

No, I have not said that. Don't try manipulate what I've said.

You have maintained this line that increased levels of CO2 lead to increased yields, I said that improved irrigation techniques, fertilising and propagation methods all have played a part as well.

Yes manure is used as a fertiliser that contains many trace elements including NPK as well as many others plants require, we get that I'm just saying that so you know we get your 'fertiliser' joke.

Commercially produced products are also available that allow more certainty that the plants are getting what is required, soil and leaf analysis can also be done so that a fertilising program can be targetted to what is needed.

Your really should give this one up shouty, you clearly have no idea and are just regurgitating the why should we worry about CO2 levels it'll help plants line you saw on an anti climate change rightard site.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:29am
When we stop and think about it, honestly, I believe its evident what an extraordinary job firefighters did.
Americans and Canadians stated that this has been beyond a Mega Blaze.
Most of South East Australia has been on fire.
Massive

BUT
How many people died?
How many homes lost?

The mega blazes across so much of Australia, when the dust and ashes clear, when you think about it, even though there is always room for improvement, how truly heroic and amazing were the efforts of firefighters?
They saved millions of people, hundreds of major roads, hundreds of thousands of properties.
Think about it.

The losses, in statistics, were actually very very low, considering the scale of the mega blazes.

They are heroes beyond comprehension.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Yes, when you consider the size of the fires, and how many there were, in so many different places, its amazing to think many more havnt died and much more loss of homes.   Some of the "saves" the firies did were nothing short of mind blowing.
Absolute heros .
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:46am
Thousands will die from these fires.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>