Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Changing race names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:20pm
What about the Herbert Power Stakes, that race has had a few name changes over the years:

NameEdit

• 1898–1919 - Eclipse Stakes
  • 1920–1992 - Herbert Power Handicap
  • 1993–1996 - Quick-Eze Stakes
  • 1997 - Perrier Mineral Water Stakes
  • 1998–1999 - Perrier Stakes
  • 2000 - Herbert Power Stakes
  • 2001–08 - Winning Edge Presentations Stakes
  • 2009 onwards - Herbert Power Stakes
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:21pm
Same with the Hotham Handicap - that race has had plenty of name changes over the years:

NameEdit

• 1869–1978 - Hotham Handicap
  • 1979–1993 - The Dalgety
  • 1994–1995 - Crown Quality
  • 1996 - Ten News Stakes
  • 1997 - Lean Cuisine Quality
  • 1998–2008 - Saab Quality
  • 2009–2018 - Lexus Stakes
  • 2019 - Lexus Hotham Stakes
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 4:27pm
It's more confusing when they change one race name (the Scillachi) for a totally different race - that happened one year.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 6:57pm
It is furious.

The one for me is the Australia Stakes, the sprint race which used to be the group 1 on Australia day.

They switched it to the William Reid, then we had the Australia Stakes and now they have split the two races so we have the Australia Stakes on Australia day and the William Reid is after the Newmarket when there was no group 1 sprint in Melbourne after the Newmarket. This really screws up when you try to do a history of the group 1 because there were a few years where they had the group 1 on Australia day and the William Reid was the group 2.

And do not get me started on the Linlithgow being moved back to 1200m and on Derby day to replace the Gadsden or whatever it was called, and now the Linlithgow is moved from Oaks day to the last day and moved back to 1200m and kept at WFA. Was there a reason why we could not have had two group 1's one at 1200m on derby day and then a 1400m race on the final Saturday of the week? This gives horses from the derby day group 1 1200m a chance to move up in distance and then have some from the Cantala drop back like some do from the Doncaster to the All Aged.

A bit of outside the box thinking could have made the cup week sprint series a whole lot better!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 7:16pm
I think the VRC have missed a trick with the Cantala moving to the final day of the carnival, renamed to the Champions Mile with the Mackinnon and the Sprint becoming the Champions Stakes and Champions Sprint, they could have used these races along with the Queen Elizabeth, Matriach and Chatham (if it stays on this day) they could have used the Champions theme to recognise some of the champions of racing with race names, especially considering it gives them the chance to recognise stayers, middle distance, milers, sprinters, the Matriach could perhaps even have been used to recognise a mare that produced several good ones (I'm sure Furious will have some idea's here) like say, Circles of Gold or Lady Giselle.
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 10:48pm
Was the Australia Stakes originally the old Stanley Wooten Voyager? I remember they ran Vo Rogue in it only a few days after he'd won the Aust Cup. Then, like you said, they switched the dates with the William Reid, changed the name and now it's a mess.

The Danehill and the Coolmore Stud is another example of date switching the same race. In recent years they've had the Coolmore Stud (Ascot Vale) Cantala (George Adams) and Derby within 2 hours of each other on Derby Day, whereas back in the day Taj Rossi was able to win the same 3 races in the same Spring.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:27am
The Stanley Wootton Stakes is the registered name now for the G2 Australia Stakes, run aound Australia day.

I get what you are saying about the Ascot Vale, VRC Derby and Cantala but even if these were on seperate days, no horse would be likely to run in all 3 these days.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 7:39am
Dark Jewel would be a start (and a very appropriate name) but hey I have a soft spot for Juliet as she is still a queen.  A stakes double at the weekend with Quang Tri and Majestic Colour (who had both sire and dam decending from her).

Yes Circles of Gold is more current and would be good also but for sheer weight of numbers and history hard to go past Juliet.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:48am
Seems odd to me that the sponsors don't want to share the name with an immortal. If I was sponsoring the Phar Lap Stakes for example, I would rather be a sponsor of the Brand X Phar Lap Stakes than just the Brand X Stakes.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 2:24pm
I agree Tlazolteotl.  But I don't think many of the clubs have any idea of history of the sport or any idea at all.  It's all chasing the mighty $
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Balciano Balciano wrote:

Was the Australia Stakes originally the old Stanley Wooten Voyager? I remember they ran Vo Rogue in it only a few days after he'd won the Aust Cup. Then, like you said, they switched the dates with the William Reid, changed the name and now it's a mess.

The Danehill and the Coolmore Stud is another example of date switching the same race. In recent years they've had the Coolmore Stud (Ascot Vale) Cantala (George Adams) and Derby within 2 hours of each other on Derby Day, whereas back in the day Taj Rossi was able to win the same 3 races in the same Spring.

Afros is correct Balciano. It was the Stanley Wootton, then it became the Australia Stakes (I think that happened when it moved to being run at night which if my memory is correct was about 1995. I know it was a long time ago because I backed the Bill Mitchell trained Stella Cadante and Grand Archway when they both won the race and I think Stella Cadante won the race in the first running under lights). Then early this century it was renamed the William Reid. And then finally the switch for a sprint group 1 after the Newmarket, was the catalyst for the group 1 being created, on Alister Clarke Stakes night, and the William Reid moved while the Stanley Wootton/Australia Stakes remains on Australia Day.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12