Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Caslicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadlers wells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caslicks
    Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:18pm
Be done on a 2yo filly in work,i know it is something done on breeding mares and the reasons,but i dont see what benefit it is on a racing filly

Edited by Gay3 - 22 Jun 2019 at 3:22pm
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:31pm
stops them sucking air in there
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
tvlark View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:45pm
exactly as reng says, more common than you'd think actually.
A Mug Owner View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Mug Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:58pm
I owned a group 1 placed filly a few years ago who had a caslick while racing and she continued to race well afterward.
A Mug Owner
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:19am
very common sadlers. done in the majority of stables for the reasons stated above. cant run quick with a gutful of air.
sadlers wells View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadlers wells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:52pm
Thanks thought that might be a possability but wasnt sure
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:00pm

Fillies/mares with a poor vulva seal are prone to infections via sucking air and bacteria into the vagina, as is the case with fillies/mares who have a sunken or inwards sloped anus because they continually cr*p on their vulva. A little “zip-up” does the trick and many cases can have an amazing effect on their health and condition.

coastal chill View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastal chill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:36am
Mares and Fillies that windsuck through their vulva have the risk of drawing air into the vagina and uterus causing a possiblity of infection in the uterus.They only have to be uncaslicked for stallion service and birth.Usually they are re-done after being served.Their should be no reason why it should be detremental for a racing filly to be done.Unfortunately some racing stables do it as a matter of course and in my opinion that's not on.
sadlers wells View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadlers wells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:51am
do know why it is done in breeding mares,have one that has it,wasnt happy when it was done,no history of infections,normal vulva,DIDNT ask permission to do it just said that all mares on stud are done and the first i kneww was when she came home.The 2yo was done for wind reasons ive been told,again the first i knew was when the account arrived in the mail,I just dont like unecesary caslicks
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:13pm

Coastal Chill, I believe I already pointed out the reason for a caslick on any female horse, of course bacteria in the vagina will cause a uterine infection, that often becomes chronic. If you think a chronic infection has no affect on the performance of a racehorse, then you are kidding yourself.

Agree with you Saddlers, a caslick should ONLY be performed when absolutely necessary, and is often more necessary on older mares. Therefore, I always state on my service applications forms...DO NOT CASLICK. I am also against shaving the top of the tail, as the bloody flies drive them mad in the summer, when some studs cut 3/4 of the tail off. Nature provides that hair as protection and a clean bandage is just as effective and more hygienic. So I also put on my applications...DO NOT SHAVE TAIL and then I make a strong point of these issues during my discussions with the stud. I don’t really care if the stud likes it or not, or if it is their policy or not, it’s my horse and my money and they always do as I ask.

Anyway, sometimes I think it’s likely they are just drumming up more money for the vet, just like unnecessary multiple follicle tests, that just shows that the stud/vet has poor record keeping and have no clue where your mare is up to in her cycle. All the more reason I started walking-on, where with the help of our great vet and a good teaser, we had a 100% pregnancy strike rate.

Folly View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:30pm
Just wondering if those with experience can shed light on caslicking i.e once caslicked always caslicked and can mares carry several foals this way? Many thanks 
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:33pm
I personally don’t like it unless absolutely necessary
gonski gonski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonski gonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:39pm
When is that. I’ve been told by vets and had it done often.
Folly View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

I personally don’t like it unless absolutely necessary

Yes she needed it as pooling urine was just asking as is for sale not sure if to purchase or not...
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:18pm
Quite essential for many mares, particularly older ones, to guard against infection..
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:32pm
Dont forget to tell the vet, stud master before serving and foaling!
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:36pm
Can save a fortune in vet bills, avoiding infection and swabbing to find out.
That can be more intrusive than the original problem.
Some mares simply dont have the correct anatomy. 
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

Dont forget to tell the vet, stud master before serving and foaling!

That's for sure, Had one here a couple of years ago, the stallion couldn't manage, on closer inspection, she had been caslicked, though a maiden her op was done when racing, of course we had to undo and wait for another cycle, time and money, the owner was not aware she was done.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 3:23pm
We'll keep all the info in the one thread.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:57pm
I will always leave them intact when breeding a mare with a caslick, particularly a old season job that has healed up very nice, wet mares post foaling that have torn I will just remove suture material and just leave my hand there to protect the job    All maiden mares that have one done from racing days I leave intact, it’s up to the skill of your stallion handler to get your boy in    A fresh bleeding caslick is bad.   Blood is a spermacide
 Post Reply Post Reply