Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

John McNair.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:18pm
People can be quite amusing with the blind assessments of certain horses , without looking at some factual data ......
 Hay List is as good a sprinter as we have seen in many years .
Without going into the times alone he has run which compare a lot better than Apache Cat ever produced .
 I will leave you with the FACT = He cruised today and took .15 off the Flemington 1200 m [dead ] track record without raising a sweat in 1.8.20....Previous record had stood for 5 years.
   Please tell us the best sprinters  [ someone said he hasn't met  ]......He would carry anything else we have going around over the sprint distances.
 Hay list has won 12 from 14 .......He lost one when he pulled up lame  and was spelled 3 months and when resuming on a slow track he met severe interference and was beaten .8 L to Love Conquers All.
Morgan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:33am
Put Nikolic on his back, he will find a way to get him beaten.
I hope that when I die, people say about me, "Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money."
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Mordiboy Mordiboy wrote:

Originally posted by The Layer The Layer wrote:

Originally posted by Hay List Hay List wrote:

There's going to be a big ambush on punters come Patinack Stakes day. Was lucky to be on the best part of the track along with a nice cart by Catapult.

. Hay List - inexperience from his obscure trainer will make this the lay of the year today in the Gilgai. Quick back up down the straight with penalty weight will see many punters burnt. This race will be like a 1600m with the speed.

LOL LOL I will say no more

Cut you're losses, whilst you're a mile behind

WA racing is riddled with DRUGS. I will say no more

Lol, that got more and more embarrassing as he said more things.
BamBam View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamBam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:19am
and that is the problem macca. we have have nat showing his ignorance all to often on this site. he has bagged the trainer and run down the horse - although he likes it a lot, without any substance. just like pie face does.
he should be shutting up and listening rather tahn running around like he thinks he is bart cummings. makes one sick to read such ignorant comments.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Morgan Morgan wrote:

Put Nikolic on his back, he will find a way to get him beaten.
LOLBig smileLOLBig smileLOLBig smileLOLBig smileLOLBig smile
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:47am
When have i potted the horse? I doesn't offend me, i just find McNair extremely arrogant. He didn't show one bit of respect to the opposition, he has a good horse yes, but he doesn't know what sort of horse Moody has in his yard either.

Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:56am
yeah i didnt see, hear or read the interview of the trainer disrespecting rivals. but he can do it a t his own peril.

to be honest, i had never heard of this gun sprinter a few months ago, which also means in a few months time there possibly me another sprinter ready to knock this one off.

gotta love racing 
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Nathan Nathan wrote:

When have i potted the horse? I doesn't offend me, i just find McNair extremely arrogant. He didn't show one bit of respect to the opposition, he has a good horse yes, but he doesn't know what sort of horse Moody has in his yard either.

Well I suppose now would be the time to use the phrase, ''winners are grinners and the rest can please themselves.''

Hay List really is just turning into one of those put in and take out jobs when you want to boost your betting funds by 60%. The horse was probably at the most vulnerable it will be for some time as it was looking at the straight for the first time, and the straight can throw up a few surprises as far as results go, but he did it with ease. I'm just glad he is a gelding and we will be able to watch him race well into old age, instead of him being shipped off to the breeding barn and robbing us of being able to watch his talent, as is the case with so many stallions.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 10:57am
Nathan I rewatched today the interview you are referring to and i thought he simply has an opinion of his horses ability and when posed the question about him he answered honestly and forthright . Harsh marker i reckon
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Platinum View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Nathan I rewatched today the interview you are referring to and i thought he simply has an opinion of his horses ability and when posed the question about him he answered honestly and forthright . Harsh marker i reckon
  Yep and i respect that much more than some company line
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:13pm
Odds on punters have done well but no horse is good enough to back at those odds.

Put in take out job lol

Bookies will clean you out if you go thinking that about anything.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Odds on punters have done well but no horse is good enough to back at those odds.

Put in take out job lol

. Everything has a price of probability...even to crossing the road safely.....
ALL successful gamblers depend on thier accuracy of being better at compiling those odds than the opposition ..[ fellow players ].
 Sometimes the right odds of probability may be  100/1 .....Other times it is 1/10 or the 1/6 that you mentioned.
 Get your pricing wrong and you will lose big time NO MATTER IF ITS 1/6 10/1 or 100/1.
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:23pm

Had the Hussler and Catapulted not been backed he would've been sent out about $1.10 which was his true odds.

Put in take out job lol

Question
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:46pm

Put in take out job lol

If you back a $1.60 favourite every time it races, you will lose money. If you confine selecting a $1.60 favourite to the occasions where you believe that barring an injury during the race, the horse has a next to no chance of losing, then you will win money. I did it with Denman last year and I've done it with Hay List as well. What's wrong with increasing your funds by 60% Wortel? I'd much rather be on a $1.60 winner than whatever someone's else has backed to beat it. But then again, I might have misunderstood the point of wagering, I thought it was to win money. Do you bet to lose money? How is that going for you?
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:37pm
I think everyone is missing a big point here with this horse.

When he beat Catapulted in the McEwen Kavanagh thought his horse was a special, he may not have won a group 1 yet but I think Catapulted is group 1 class.

It is just that Hay List is making him and other group 1 gallopers look silly at the moment.

That win yesterday was absolutely unbelievable. 1.08.2 is about the fourth fastest overall time ever on the course and he had no cover, the jockey had about 5 lengths up his sleeve and as has been stated he was backing up from a group 1 winning performance 9 days earlier.

No way is he as good as Miss Andretti, Apache Cat or definitely Takeover Target yet but he is on his way.

They say Kingston  Town was beating nothing when he won his 18 group 1's but he is still considered the benchmark cahmpion of the modern era.

It does not matter who Hay List beats it is his own performance which makes him a champion or not, and at the moment he is a win away from moving into the category with Apache Cat and Miss Andretti.

Takeover Target is another level up but as I said he is on his way.  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:05pm
Hahah always so much hate and jealousy abound these good horses.

Seeing Hay List, Hot Danish and Black Caviar giong at it down the straight will be one of my highlights in racing.

Enjoy the ride!
Cmon Apparitions!!!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

When he beat Catapulted in the McEwen Kavanagh thought his horse was a special, he may not have won a group 1 yet but I think Catapulted is group 1 class.

It is just that Hay List is making him and other group 1 gallopers look silly at the moment.

That win yesterday was absolutely unbelievable. 1.08.2 is about the fourth fastest overall time ever on the course and he had no cover, the jockey had about 5 lengths up his sleeve and as has been stated he was backing up from a group 1 winning performance 9 days earlier.

No way is he as good as Miss Andretti, Apache Cat or definitely Takeover Target yet but he is on his way.

They say Kingston  Town was beating nothing when he won his 18 group 1's but he is still considered the benchmark cahmpion of the modern era.

It does not matter who Hay List beats it is his own performance which makes him a champion or not, and at the moment he is a win away from moving into the category with Apache Cat and Miss Andretti.

Takeover Target is another level up but as I said he is on his way.  
 Hay List would beat Apache Cat over 1200 by 50 yards now ....
ON TIMES < He is running many lengths faster on a dead track than A.C. ever ran on good.
I also accept A.C wasn't a true 1200 m horse but cleaned up the spoils available .
The coming events will be easy for Hay List as everything will avoid him ....Not his fault.
He will beat Hot Danish as he pleases if they meet..
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by The Muffin Man The Muffin Man wrote:

Put in take out job lol

If you back a $1.60 favourite every time it races, you will lose money. If you confine selecting a $1.60 favourite to the occasions where you believe that barring an injury during the race, the horse has a next to no chance of losing, then you will win money. I did it with Denman last year and I've done it with Hay List as well. What's wrong with increasing your funds by 60% Wortel? I'd much rather be on a $1.60 winner than whatever someone's else has backed to beat it. But then again, I might have misunderstood the point of wagering, I thought it was to win money. Do you bet to lose money? How is that going for you?

I don't bet odds on and I do very well for myself.

Perhaps you missed my tips of Precedence and Drumbeats.

You don't need to pick something at odds on to be confident of getting a win.
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:46pm
Not the first time I've seen McNair bagged on this forum, and I doubt it will be the last. After all, there are several posters on here who are so simple that they bag certain jockeys for having a vagina.
Give it a spell.
I don't know the bloke; but he does a top job training horses. The job he's done with Hay List has been brilliant, and what about Mustard?
This bloke can train, there's no doubt about that.

Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:55pm

Put in take out job lol

That was never your argument. If you think a horse is a 90% chance of winning a race you would have to be an idiot to bet against it even if it was $1.60

Like I said, I don't do it very often, but there is absolutely no need to try an re-invent the wheel and look for a winner in a field when the 90% chance is staring at you in the face.
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:26pm
It's the fact he was talking about a horse like Black Caviar that was doing everything he did a year ago, she was being talked up like him and although she's been out for a while but i certainly haven't forgotten about her. 
The Stallion View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:34pm

Put in take out job lol

That was never your argument. If you think a horse is a 90% chance of winning a race you would have to be an idiot to bet against it even if it was $1.60

Like I said, I don't do it very often, but there is absolutely no need to try an re-invent the wheel and look for a winner in a field when the 90% chance is staring at you in the face.

Pretty spot on.
That's the smell of victory, you can't wash that out.
eighteentwelve View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eighteentwelve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 8:29pm
I'm extremeley pessimistic on this champion tag, Sunline was a champion, capable of making the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. I seen Hay Lists run in the Manikato and was very impressed but his run down the straight at Flemington was magnificent, he was 'dog trotting' in second gear. To be truly great these types of horses need to do it year in year out. The 'Hustler' had a big 12 months but the day Light Fantastic beat him at Caulfield the alarm bells were ringing for me. With Haylist the very clever McNair will keep him fresh and barring incident (touch wood, I'd say he'd be the proverbial 'stick of dynamite')he will continue to sizzle. All Silent is very good but he isn't consistant. Black Cavier has had big problems and will therefore struggle to reach greatness. Hot danish may be a little less effective going Melbourne way. Hay list wins everything he runs in easily and he's sound so I reckon us pessimists will be lining up at 'Champions' in time to admire a genuine champion.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:39am
I love reading the statistics of racing .......Has been a real attraction of mine for well over half a century and I have spent good dollars to buy a lot of it .
 The odds on question is a statistical must .... For example.....back all favourites you lose , back all last start winners you lose , back all last start winners within 14 days that are odds on you win ....{ 10 years of stats ]...not many bets using only the main 4 racing capitals .
 There is just so many of these it makes the mind boggle.
George Moore had a lifetime win if you had a dollar on his every ride ... beat that....he must have been an honest man.....Bart Cummings has never had a favourite win / I'm joking Bart .....One did get up when you were on holidays ......Hope the elderly marvel is recovering from his recent setback ...We actually miss him .
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Voyager you are correct. Kav just shook his head in awe when Hay List beat Catapulted in the McEwen. Importantly he did so after having time to think about the race and not just an off the cuff comment. Kav knows how good Catapulted is and Hay List toyed with him. I think Kav is a far better judge than most on this forum. Hay List has since franked the form and provided he stays sound I can't see him being beaten this prep.
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Agree far better than a company line or a kav interview! The horse didn't respect the opposition so the trainer was correct!!Wink
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm

Put in take out job lol

We got stats on that? Be interested to see stats in relation to odds on pops at 1.70 or less in Saturday meetings only and then also in Group races. I reckon the strike rate be fairly high in group races!!
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:54pm

It's the fact he was talking about a horse like Black Caviar that was doing everything he did a year ago, she was being talked up like him and although she's been out for a while but i certainly haven't forgotten about her. 

I'm sure Moody hasn't missed the Hay List bandwagon. Black Caviar didn't line up against him last saturday for obvious reasons.  No flies on Moody.

At least in the Schillaci she only has to take on Mic Mac, First Command, Definately Ready, Star Witness and Solar Charged.

Hay List would beat them in a trot.

Black Caviar is lightly raced because she isn't as sound as the connections would like her to be.
So I doubt she will ever face Hay List, let alone beat him.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Coat Puller View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coat Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:58pm

'Hay List will be one of the best sprinters we've ever seen won't he? .... well, he's already there isn't he?'

LOL 

Look who he's beating. The only group one winners in the field: Weekend Hussler, Swick, Sniper's Bullet and Rostova are along way off there best. And apart from that he's beating group 2/3 horses.

John McNair was asked if he's got Black Caviar covered.... he replied 'yeh' and smirked. I didn't like that one bit. 

We'll see on Patinack day ay, she was beating better horses in a more impressive fashion IMO, and as a 3yo as well. She'll eye ball him, and she'll beat him.

Black Caviar has won one Group 2 race. Please list these better horses she was beating. Here De Angels ?? Wanted perhaps?? That Newmarket was run on a strange day regards how the track played and lets not forget the weather.

IF they meet in the Patinack he will be hard fit she will most likely be second up ? Hay List's presence is already making some trainers reconsider there spring targets. 

You will most certainly get better odds than you would have thought some 6 months ago but Black Caviar has been off the scene for good reason not holidaying in the Greek Isles.

IMHO McNair has every reason to be bullish and frightened of nobody.

Good post Macca Thumbs Up
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 1:41am
How does this thread go down now? She looks good, as does he of course. The Patinack, if they both turn up will be a race for the ages.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>