Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

John McNair.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
Hey, I am happy for them all to carry the same weight no matter what their age or sex. But WFA is as close as we get to set weights.
reductio ad absurdum
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 11:20pm
If you posted it, BF, you know where it is. And I won't have to look. So where is it?

But I suppose the forum owes you a debt of gratitude. You have provided us with the crucial information that if you give a horse enough weight it may eventually be beaten. I do hope everyone else will be using this to the betterment of themselves as punters. I know I'll try to take it on board.

Whenever you find that link get back to me.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:56am
John's new initiative...the compression suit...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
A Mug Owner View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Mug Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:17am
How do they put the compression suit on ? Looks like it would be difficult with a uncooperative horse. 
A Mug Owner
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:53am
 carefully...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:39am

FLEMINGTON racegoers did a double-take when they saw champion sprinter Hay List being paraded in a wetsuit after his Newmarket Handicap triumph on Saturday.

That is what the $900 garment looks like, although it is in fact made of a revolutionary moisture-management fabric.

It is the latest and most unusual piece of cutting-edge technology designed to assist the thoroughbred's recovery from races and strenuous training gallops.

Because Hay List has had his share of injury problems over the years, trainer John McNair thought it was worth a try.

"It is basically like a compression suit," McNair said.

"You see a lot of cyclists, footballers and other sports people use them. They are designed to aid recovery, help with muscle fatigue.

"We have been using them on Hay List for a couple of weeks now and it makes a huge difference."

The compression suits are made by Hidez, a firm in Windsor on Sydney's northwestern outskirts.

The Hidez Recovery Suit uses a "graduated compression method which helps circulation and supplies more oxygen to all the muscle groups". It claims to enhance blood flow, reduce the onset of muscle soreness, and speed up recovery.

So just how is the suit fitted to a racehorse?

"There are zippers everywhere and it takes about 90 seconds to put it on," McNair said. "There are designs in place to introduce a variation of the suit that enables a horse to wear it at trackwork so that you can monitor its heart rate, breathing - even its length of stride."

Sydney race fans will get to see plenty of Hay List and his new suit because he could have as many as three starts during the autumn carnival.

The bad news for Sydneysiders is that Black Caviar is favoured to race in Adelaide next month. And another clash between the world's two best sprinters at England's famous Royal Ascot carnival seems increasingly remote.

Hay List's trainer John McNair yesterday revealed the autumn race program for his super horse - and it doesn't include Royal Ascot.

"I'd say it is very unlikely he will go to England," McNair said.

"Singapore is an option but (owner) Terry Davenport has his concerns about going there because it can be very hot and humid. I'll do whatever Terry wants me to do."

Hay List will race next in the Group 1 $500,000 William Reid Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on March 23 before returning to Sydney.

McNair said his options for Hay List include the Group 2 $175,000 Challenge Stakes (1100m) at Rosehill Gardens on March 31, then two Group 1 races at Royal Randwick, the $1 million TJ Smith Stakes (1200m) on April 14 and the $400,000 All Aged Stakes (1400m) on April 28.

Hay List emerged from the shadow of Black Caviar when he carried 58.5kg to win a thrilling Newmarket from Buffering and Foxwedge.

No horse has carried more weight to win the Newmarket since Gold Stakes shouldered 60kg to win in 1959.

The win pushed Hay List's Timeform rating to 132.

Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

If you posted it, BF, you know where it is. And I won't have to look. So where is it?

But I suppose the forum owes you a debt of gratitude. You have provided us with the crucial information that if you give a horse enough weight it may eventually be beaten. I do hope everyone else will be using this to the betterment of themselves as punters. I know I'll try to take it on board.

Yes the handicap is a complex and difficult concept for some to grasp Judge. Glad to be of some assistance. Can't be bothered searching through your comments but I'll lay good money that you weren't concerned about Hay List having to give Black Caviar 2 kgs every time they went around. Odd that you now baulk at the idea of the shoe being on the other hoof.

Learn to use the search engine - any search engine will suffice. A whole new world will open up to you.

Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

What's he look like in lycra (the horse not JM)?  Most people looking at that would swear blind it's an April Fools journalist joke come early. Just doesn't look right without the face mask and snorkel Smile

Would look better in chestnut. Moody will be fuming that he didn't think of it first.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Blind Faith Blind Faith wrote:

Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Yes the handicap is a complex and difficult concept for some to grasp Judge. Glad to be of some assistance. Can't be bothered searching through your comments but I'll lay good money that you weren't concerned about Hay List having to give Black Caviar 2 kgs every time they went around. Odd that you now baulk at the idea of the shoe being on the other hoof.

Learn to use the search engine - any search engine will suffice. A whole new world will open up to you.

Concerned? Of course I wasn't concerned. Or anything else for that matter. It's the WFA scale- a fact of racing. I just accept it.
And given I'm not responsible for scheduling BC's races, what precisely am I "baulking" at? 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I wonder if this suit would help Rebel Soldier ?

reductio ad absurdum
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:23pm
Oh my god, Skins for horses. What a great idea.
Does it work like the compression clothing for people jujuno? They work great.

Or is it actually April 1?

James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
I would never have believed it if you hadn't put a picture up LOL
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:35pm
I'd be careful trying to put that thing on an entire.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:41pm
I had to check to see if it was real. So smart of them.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Oh my god, Skins for horses. What a great idea.
Does it work like the compression clothing for people jujuno? They work great.

Or is it actually April 1?

I'm sure it works the same...

he looks like the Phantom horse...

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

So, who will be backing which horse?

Foxwedge is the best weighted horse in the race as far as I'm concerned. He will sit just off the pace and have plenty of petrol left in the final 100M.
Yes I've backed him. He'll shorten by start time and I'll trade some back.

Phelan Ready is also very well weighted.
Yes I have backed him too. Once the final field is released he will shorten a little too. Could be a great trading opportunity.

Buffering is weighted to his best. 
Yes I've backed him but will trade most of it before jump time.(could do it now for a profit if I wanted)

Beaded is also very well weighted.(meets Buffering 1 kg better than the Straddie and has fair straight track form) Very consistent.
No I haven't backed her but if she lines up I will.

Hay List is evenly weighted and has to run to his best to win with 58.5 kgs.
No I have not and will not back him unless he gets to a silly price. Or I might trade him if the money goes that way. It's still a week + before the Newmarket and plenty can happen between now and then. He just might not start after all. It's happened before in so many races with so many favourites.

So taking the overs on the others is the best move IMO.
Especially Foxwedge.

There you go melbsteve, the First4 which paid $21,500 on unitab.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:09pm

Vale John McNair

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:12pm
Posted by Richo on Twitter.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 2:43pm
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:24pm
I had heard he was crook.  Not nice news.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 6:11pm
Pancreatic cancer doesn't give them long Cry John Van Veenendaal only lasted a few months, insidious & sneaky disease that you appear to be unaware of untill too late Angry

On the eve of the eighth anniversary of the unforgettable Black Caviar-Hay List stoush in the 2011 T.J. Smith Stakes, Hay List's trainer John McNair has died.

McNair, who has not had a runner since March 2016, had been battling pancreatic cancer.

In a note to friends of the family, McNair's wife Sue confirmed his death just four weeks after he had diagnosed with the disease.

In more recent times, Chautauqua has provided most of the highlights for the T.J. Smith with his three wins on end but before 'The Grey Flash' hit the track, the 2011 edition of the race had set the benchmark for autumn excitement as it was the one day in Black Caviar's 25-start career that she actually looked like being beaten when Hay List slipped away four lengths in front halfway down the Randwick straight.

Black Caviar reeled him in and won easily on the line but it was the first and only time she was truly tested at the elite level.

McNair began training in Western Australia and then moved to Somersby in NSW where he trained some great horses.

Hay List won 15 races from 28 starts and he did win three Group 1s despite finishing second to Black Caviar in four others.

Hay List was euthanised in 2015 as a nine-year-old after contracting the hoof disease Laminitis.

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Apr 2019 at 6:12pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 6:57pm
John Marshall also passed away from pancreatic cancer and he died aboit 2 or 3 days before Christmas 2018

No need to quote when the post's directly above Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Apr 2019 at 7:26pm
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:46pm

John MCNAIR

Funeral notice

Mc Nair: 
The Funeral Cortege for Mr John Charles MCNAIR of Halls Head, Mandurah will arrive at FREMANTLE Cemetery, Carrington St, Palmyra at 2.00pm on TUESDAY (9.04.2019) for a Cremation Service. 
Please assemble at the Carrington Pavilion at 1.50pm.
No Flowers by request donations in Lieu to John's Charity of Choice Ride For Youth. 
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:54pm
John received a tremendous farewell (about 150 attended)and the service itself was grandly presented.

Greg McFarlane was there.

Vale John and I'm sure everyone at the service had at least a moment of a tear.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 12:22am
Broken HeartBroken HeartBroken Heart

a marvellous man. Those who knew him, enjoyed his company. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 11:18am
 I sent Sue McNair a note, last night, commiserating her on the loss of Mustard.

John and the old bugger will probably meet up in that great stable in the sky. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 4:16pm
Where was he kiving out his days ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 4:17pm
Living !!!    Ermm
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:46pm
  John's former property at Somersby.

Sue McNair replied to my e-mail, this morning, from WA, where she has returned to live after John's death. Said it was the 'closing of another door'... and she was well.  

We have both moved on from those wonderful times. 

I hope they bury the old boy next to Hay List, whose resting place is on the Somersby property. 

Great horses, both. 

HeartHeart
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 11:38pm
https://youtu.be/H3Izs6hDKI0

Inside Racing: John McNair Interview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>