Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 1:52pm
My son has just purchased a small share (first time owner) in a Per Incanto x Sharvasti filly Karaka Lot 571. Tried to post a picture with no success. Would love to get some thoughts from the experts, and if someone can get a picture up it would be greatly appreciated. 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:58am
Well I'll start the ball rolling.

Rhino, I'm wired to detect possible flaws rather than strengths so don't be too put off.  Thought her off hind hoof might be lacking heel and somewhat toed out, and not sure about the fore pastern angles (though the near and off still shots appear to differ).  That said I might be wrong or just carping about minutae.

I note that the top class dam has been to the best NZ and Aus stallions however none of the four to race have been thus far able to win a metropolitan winner.

All that aside she looks a nice enough type and given all the stakes performers in her second remove would have significant residual value if she could win in town let alone achieve black type herself.
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 2:17pm
Thank you SC, really appreciate the feedback and effort to reply. He has not spent a fortune, just wants to have the thrill of going to the races and being able to say "I own one". Let's hope she at least gets there. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 4:43pm
Hey Rhino, a Per Incanto mare just won the Newmarket!!  Had Lot 571 been offered tomorrow instead of a couple of days ago she sells for double or three times what he was actually purchased for.  And your son probably couldn't have afforded to buy in!  Swings and roundabouts.  Wink
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 7:02pm
Agree with SC regarding her pasterns, look a tad long, nice enough walk, certainly in need of attention to all her hooves, but that's just a good farrier and time should improve her. Good luck Rhino to you and your son..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 5:32pm
Sometimes you miss out on what appears to be a potentially huge bargain, such as Lot 132 from MM Perth.  Expressed interest in taking up a small share about 2 hours after it was knocked down (for $50k thank you very much) but was too late.

Comments welcomed.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 5:59pm
ps some might not know Bondi, a winner of just one of his 12 starts.  But 4 times 2nd and 4 times third.

Throughout his career raced against the top 2 and 3yo's of his year, notably being four times stakes placed including running 2nd to Autumn Sun at Gp2 level and 2nd again in the Gp1 Sires Produce.  

Retired entirely sound after a last start placing.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Sometimes you miss out on what appears to be a potentially huge bargain, such as Lot 132 from MM Perth.  Expressed interest in taking up a small share about 2 hours after it was knocked down (for $50k thank you very much) but was too late.

Comments welcomed.

Wonder where the ring/line across both front hooves comes from.  Nutrition change?  It's odd, but doesn't look like something laminitic.  It is more apparent in the right front foot.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 7:31am
FWIW, I used to work with an older than dirt, mostly-toothless gelding who had similar bulging rings on his feet that stopped forming and grew out when we switched his food from hay and hard feed to a soaked ration the texture of sloppy oatmeal. He was never laminitic, but the lack of enough energy in his diet showed up as hoof wall rings.

It's weird to see that in a yearling.

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 8:37am
Not very deep through the girth, and toed out behind?
Strong front legs with good bone, good muscling in the forearm.
Had a warmblood filly that developed those rings young, never went hungry in her life. Always in good condition. Interestingly, she developed arthritis as a newly broken in 4 year old. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 12:07pm
Bit off track here but, looking at the inside of the back leg I can almost see a face in the pattern . A face with ears .  Must be going nuts .Cry  Sorry off track .

animals before people.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 5:04pm
Yes AA, I see it too, dark eyes!!!

Those rings probably coming off pasture to hard feed, pretty normal, but he is a bit steep perhaps near side front hoof. Agree with Sister re: girth/ depth / heart room.
Looks to have a heel on all but Off hind a bit low.
Nice neck into shoulder.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 5:36pm
Thanks guys. Yep a bit toed out off hind and accept the depth aspect.  A heel and angle maybe a bit off but within acceptable parameters imo.

Thought he had a strong female family but most of all the fact his still shots shows a yearling just as you'd like to see it: not pumped up (despite change in feeding regime re the rings aspect) and there for everything to see in terms of both strengths and weaknesses.

Will follow his career with interest.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 12:59pm
FWIW if you would like to go to Racing and sports and put in 'Nicalati" the yearling picture comes up.
He is a very similar type and grew into a beautiful horse (he was here for pre training but sadly was diagnosed with kissing spine) He had some potential as a stayer but when backed at track work was showing signs of discomfort (man made issue I would say)
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 6:20pm
an acquaintance is looking at a share in the following horse:

Anyone got an opinion on her-link contains video:

There are two images available on the page as well. I'm completely clueless how to get them up on here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 7:00pm
I like her a lot & the trainer choice but does that OF turn in markedly in the head on shot, about 35secs in?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:25am
Nice filly, something about that N/F looks like she is low inside hoof and seems to not have a level placement, screwing out , maybe a farrier error.
But lovely else wise, nice active loose walk.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 12:54pm
GAJ, I see the low inside front left hoof as well, and the slight toe-in in the right front hoof.

She is a bit upright in her hind legs.  The Autumn Sun seems to be passing that on.  In addition, her right hind leg angles inward from her stifle to her hoof, meaning she doesn't push off quite evenly.  It looks like a slight hitch in her step.  

Finally, she looks very slightly over at the knee, and she has a white mark on her left front that looks unusual.  She could have a mismark (genetic mayhem) or it could be from some kind of medical treatment.

All that being said, she walked well enough.  I agree with GAJ that having a good farrier look at her front feet is a good idea.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 2:01pm
Thanks to all. Much appreciated.

I was asked for my opinion of pedigree which i quite like.

I decided to look at the video and there was something I thought just didn't seem 100% correct but not having the expertise or experience in conformation, I couldn't quite pick it.

Everything you have said seems to make sense. I did like the length of her walk. They can only hope now that she can run!
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 2:04pm
Saw the knee in the picture Kimberley, doesn't look as apparent on closer view, but all the same don't mind over.
The two markings on her N/S leg are unusual as it doesn't appear to be an old injury or scarring there.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

Saw the knee in the picture Kimberley, doesn't look as apparent on closer view, but all the same don't mind over.
The two markings on her N/S leg are unusual as it doesn't appear to be an old injury or scarring there.

After looking at the video again, I suspect that they're a mismark or the result of a fungal infection.

A point in her favour that I didn't mention -- her SI joint is quite close to being directly over her point of hip.  Mechanically, that puts the flexion point (SI joint) close to the load point (hip) so the horse can transfer hind end propulsion forward more efficiently.

Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:01pm
A question for the experts on type.

This filly has just been bought for $300k at today's HTBA sale by Michael Freedman. Looking the video and specifically at the front on and rear view it seems to my untrained eye the off foreleg has some major issues in the the way she walks. Obviously Freeman sees no issue and I have it completely wrong.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:18pm
Well the filly certainly does appear to throw her off front Breeder.  And if this persists at the gallop she'll be exerting great pressure on the knee.

Over to others.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:29pm
...knee in particular.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:43pm
She is very jointy both hind fetlocks, looks a plain type to me, her page doesn't look that flash but I'm no expert.
Inflation?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 7:38pm
Interesting call on the fetlocks GAJ.  Maybe just stocking up?

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:39pm
The joints looked large in quite defined way, there didn't seem to be any fill above the fetlock as you would expect from stocking up from what I could see.
Further more if it was stocking up you would expect them to exercise the horse well to get rid of the fill before doing a video presentation.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:14am
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

She is very jointy both hind fetlocks, looks a plain type to me, her page doesn't look that flash but I'm no expert.
Inflation?

She's a daughter of Extreme Choice and that's why they paid $300k for her.  The average price for his yearlings in Inglis Classic, MM, and Inglis Premier was almost $350k.  

This horse sold at Inglis Premier for $280k, and his page was about on par with the Dashie Diva filly: https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2022+Premier+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/309

This horse sold at Inglis Classic for $825k, with better breeding but a much poorer performance record in the first two dams than Dashie Diva:  https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2022+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/313

Back to the Dashie Diva filly, an interview with connections here:  https://www.tdnausnz.com.au/edition/2022-05-02/extreme-choice-filly-tops-htba-may-sale-with-new-record

Although this stood out to me:

Quote Bell River Thoroughbreds' Andrew Ferguson, who sold the Sale-topping Extreme Choice filly, was delighted by the outcome, after seeing the offspring of Dashie Diva (Dash For Cash) successfully overcome the removal of a chip from her hind fetlock that ruled her out of February’s Inglis Classic Sale.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:14am
Emphasis there is mine, by the way.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:56am
Thank you KM that explains a lot. I hope she recoups her price tag for the owners to be..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>