Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 34>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 12:44am
Behind at the knee, turned out off side hind, narrow girth, high tail set, upright pasterns, poor natural muscling hind legs.
Be interested to see what he does, or doesn’t, do 
Sorry, not my type at all 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 6:10pm
Anyone notice that this one also has no heel in three of four?  So much so that the off front appears clubby.  Would be interested to see Hello Sunshine's appraisal of both this and the record braking Maurice youngster.

Originally posted by Hello Sunshine Hello Sunshine wrote:

Lot 134, click to see her page.
Purchased by Mick Price and described as beautiful and athletic.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 7:05pm
Yes it looks as though its had an extreme trim job. Not much hoof left.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 10:44pm
I bow to the better judgement of others second chance.
From experience a good horse comes in any shape, mostly.
Its whats inside that counts.....
You know, grit determination and heart.
And a decent trainer.
Big smile
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 1:09am
And a better farrier.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Kimberley Mine Kimberley Mine wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Ok, our third and final yearling purchase, a 2.5% share in Lot 101 Inglis Classic: colt by Xtravagant from Mussenden (Fastnet Rock).  Photo isn't great but like the way he walks.  Think the sire will make it, and couldn't resist at the price.  Any comments on his possible strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated.  Thumbs Up  

First impression from the still photo: still needs time.  His head and hindquarters look more mature than everything in between.  In particular he looks a bit short of rein, and the neck is usually one of the last things to grow out.  He's slightly offset in the left forefoot (the white one).  He toes out a bit in that foot, and in the right hind.  I agree that he's a mile-ish type.

Pedigree-wise, Zabeel over Carnegie mares has 12% G1W to foals.  He has Zabeel through Xtravagant's dam and Carnegie through his 2nd dam.  And for his immediate parents, his full brother has a win and a city placing in 5 starts (is spelling) and Xtravagant has 48% winners from runners as a 2nd crop sire.  Overall, lots of positives.  Good luck with him.

And his full brother wins in Adelaide today.  Star
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:58pm
Saw a video of Wooded the other day. Looked like a Moose LOL
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:59pm

[Ok, our fourth and final yearling purchase, a 2.5% share in Lot 101 Inglis Classic: colt by Xtravagant from Mussenden (Fastnet Rock).. ..Think the sire will make it, and couldn't resist at the price.  Any comments on his possible strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated.  Thumbs Up  

Pedigree-wise, Zabeel over Carnegie mares has 12% G1W to foals.  He has Zabeel through Xtravagant's dam and Carnegie through his 2nd dam.  And for his immediate parents, his full brother has a win and a city placing in 5 starts (is spelling) and Xtravagant has 48% winners from runners as a 2nd crop sire.  Overall, lots of positives.  Good luck with him.

And his full brother wins at Sandown today, his second city success after winning a weak affair in Adelaide.  Star [/QUOTE]
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm

And his full brother wins at Sandown today, his second city success after winning a weak affair in Adelaide.  Star 

All three of older brother's wins have been at ~1600 m.  And he hasn't finished worse than fourth in the races following his first-up run.

Hopefully your young lad has the ability of his brother.
YoMama View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:46pm

A mates horse with Kristen Buchanan. Interested in any opinions. Pic was taken a few weeks back which would explain why he is so woolly.

Kermadec x Broadway Harmony

Yo Mama's so nasty, I talked to her over the computer and she gave me a virus.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm
Not concerned about the wintery look, but not a good picture for conformation judgement Yo Mama!
But going on what is seen here, nice short cannon bones good depth through the girth and prominent pro-sternum (heart room some would say)
nice lay of shoulder even though he is standing over in front it is still easy to see where his girth line is, so well balanced.
Overall, first glance a plain type but nothing really to pick on body wise. At a growing stage the work will improve his front set up I'm sure.

Kimberly would give a better constructive comment with her great knowledge.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 5:05pm
Nice little fella imo , has he had any work done on him at all Yomah ? broken in wise , he will come on with work , teeth , shoeing and worming , in the hands of a good trainer , so your mates started on the right path, I'm guessing $60-80 purchase ( but could be ways out Confused) standing with off fore slightly extended I think that's chest muscle , hope it's Not sternum , I doubt it , good luck to your mate . I do like the foreleg structure as well . 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:24pm
Photo does him no favors but cheap at the price ($50k) given his dam is a stakes-winner and has herself produced a Listed winner: refer Lot 400 Premier 2022.  Walks well for mine, maybe excessively angled pasterns - particularly near front.

Would like to have seen a bit more development in him since the sale, especially if he's already undergone breaking in.  Maybe a good month of Spring grass before commencing breaking-in or further education as applicable to bring him along.  Though the trainer would or should be right across this stuff.

But a real chance imho.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm
Good onya SC , will have a look at the lot no. had no idea , how , where or why about purchase or locality . Wink
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:47pm
Widen presented him very well Sale time , lovely and healthy and to my eye a nice Walker with character , strong jawbone with plenty of width underneath , at 50K he's a steal , 12 months before you see anything .though imo. Wink

+ Widden 
YoMama View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YoMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:10pm
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I'm very much an analytics guy from a punting perspective and know next to nothing when looking at horse.

Sorry about the photo, that what was sent to me. I'll hit him up to see if he has any recent photos. Other info given if of interest is that he was gelded early as he is quite a big boy. He has just commenced trackwork and prior to this spent time at an equestrian centre doing saddle work. This would have been after the photo was taken I'm pretty sure. He also mentioned that he is pretty forward and they were aiming at the early 2yo races but no doubt that would be subject to change depending on how he handles hiswork.

I hope he has some success as my mate certainly has had none in the numerous horses he's been involved in over many years. And yes I agree, I think Kristen is a fabulous trainer who gets the most out of her horses. I actually suggested Kristen to him and that he keep an eye out for when she had shares available in a horse and this is what he came back with.
Yo Mama's so nasty, I talked to her over the computer and she gave me a virus.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 7:01pm

And his full brother wins at Sandown today, his second city success after winning a weak affair in Adelaide.  Star 
All three of older brother's wins have been at ~1600 m.  And he hasn't finished worse than fourth in the races following his first-up run.  Hopefully your young lad has the ability of his brother. 

And wins a $100k race today KM: at 1600m would you believe?  Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:28am

And wins a $100k race today KM: at 1600m would you believe?  Big smile

He didn't just win, he won by 7 lengths over a field that included group-placed and listed-placed runners, on his first race after a 2-month letup.  

How's your lad doing?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:46pm
Hi KM

Thanks for the interest.

The colt was broken in and later had some light education where all went well. Then went to the paddock where he's been on good grass for nearly 9 weeks now, and will probably return for more education at the end of the month.  

Trainer thinks he'll go ok early but have my doubts as you'd appreciate.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:25am
SC, I think your lad CAN go OK early, just like you CAN walk to Perth.  :D

But given the history of every member of his immediate family, he's more likely to be a spring 3yo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 10:45am
Best to get the shin soreness bug,  out of the way with early stress.
And put away for when he is ready.
Easy to see with that sort of walk, and family history.
My question would be
why only 45k?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 10:48am
Dont judge a book by its cover.
Snowdome.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:11pm
Who knows?  You could also ask why only $25k for Bookman.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm
HS I suspect that shot isn't of Snowdome, but rather of another with the same near side brand.  But have been wrong before.

As for the Xtravagant-Mussenden colt which sold for just $45k, would invite all and sundry to comment both on pedigree and the motion video of another Xtravagant colt Lot 347 from the same Classic 2022 sale and which sold for $180k.  

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:02pm
Thats a big call re Snowdome.
And that is my point.
You can pull apart an animal regards its conformation but if it has the heart and will, and family
you may just have a decent racehorse.
Why comment if you have no idea.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 11:22am

Best to get the shin soreness bug,  out of the way with early stress.
And put away for when he is ready.
Easy to see with that sort of walk, and family history.
My question would be
why only 45k?

His pedigree.  

At the time of the sale, other than Whobegotyou, there wasn't much production in SC's colt's female family until the 4th dam (I'm going to call him XM, for his parents' names).  Between them, his unplaced first dam and her unraced full sister had 4 foals to race, who had a total of 25 starts for 3 wins at provincial-level tracks.  One of them, XM's half sister Mussenphere, had sold at online auction for $900 the previous spring.  Whobegotyou was out of sight, out of mind at that point, having been dead nearly 10 years.  

For a horse who can run competitively at provincial-level tracks, $45k is a reasonable price.  Not too expensive to make money off of.

Then Bookman came from a spell back to win 3 of 5 at Saturday metro level, and XM's full sister Temple of Gold started once as a 2yo and was not disgraced in a mid-pack finish.  If XM were up for sale now, instead of 6 months ago, he probably would sell for more thanks to his full siblings.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 11:48am

As for the Xtravagant-Mussenden colt which sold for just $45k, would invite all and sundry to comment both on pedigree and the motion video of another Xtravagant colt Lot 347 from the same Classic 2022 sale and which sold for $180k.  

The performance difference in his first dam and her sister is a big part of it.  At the time of the sale, #347's dam was a 3-time winner at metro level in Canberra and at the Valley.  She's a half-sister to a stakes-placed 7-time metro winner of over $225k.  

To my eye, 347 was physically more mature at sales time relative to XM, which isn't surprising given that his first dam is by Written Tycoon and second dam is by E&E.  That has an effect too, but probably isn't as big as his family's performance.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 12:16pm

HS I suspect that shot isn't of Snowdome, but rather of another with the same near side brand.  But have been wrong before.  

My mistake.  Was looking at a photo of his full sibling which a different type entirely.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 12:58pm

And that is my point.
You can pull apart an animal regards its conformation but if it has the heart and will, and family
you may just have a decent racehorse.

Auction prices are very much "what have you done for me lately" and Snowdome's sales price 100% rode off the coattails of his full sister Pixie Chix, who sold for only $20k the year before.

At the time of sale, Pixie Chix had placed twice in trials at Lark Hill and come in 3rd in a salty Saturday race at Ascot where the top three all went on to run in stakes company and 2 of them (including Pixie Chix) were stakes placed by the end of their 2yo season.  Everyone saw that run, and Snowdome sold for 9 times what his sister did.

As for his conformation, he looks like Dalakhani, underslung neck, straight-ish hind legs, and all.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:18pm
Here's an interesting one.  Lot 125 Inglis Classic 2022.  By the hugely hot young stallion Russian Revolution but sold for just $60k against an average of $150k. No idea about the X-rays.  A lot of black type in the US female family but the vast majority non-graded.

Ok the still image is awful, the video arguably perhaps not quite so.  

Only ask as we've been invited to purchase a share and would appreciate others input.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 34>