Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:48am
Yes, the inbreeding to Cotehele House and the presence of Quest For Fame were drawcards from a pedigree perspective. He is a lovely type and cleans the mare up from a quality perspective.

Diamond Hands was ballotted from the trials today at Rosehill so should be trialling at Warwick Farm next Friday.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 12:45pm
Must say his weanling are pretty impressive on the whole Robbo.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Thanks for the info Goldey.

But back to the Omaha Beach's at the MM Weanling sale, and it appears clear purchasers are buying on pedigree rather than conformation. Even Widden went for one I didn't particularly fancy.

The fillies were clearly purchased for their breeding value. I would be very surprised to see either of these fillies show up at yearling or ready-to-run sales.  Conversely, I would NOT be surprised if either one went straight to stud rather than racing, especially if one of their close relatives gets a big win between now and 2025.

As for the colts, I submit that the Solar Star colt that sold for $70k is riding not so much on pedigree but on his dam line's record of producing 95% runners and 75% winners from named foals.  If a farrier can get his hind feet in order, he should be able to run through the rest of his conformation faults.  Would I buy into him at that price?  No, but honestly I think he's the best of the Omaha Beach foals.  

This now-2yo filly is a half-sister to his dam -- sold for $120k:  https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2021+Australian+Easter+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/9
This is his dam's half brother by Vinnie who sold for $370k:  https://www.nzb.co.nz/sales/karaka-2018-book-1/472

Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:19pm
I'm going to go out a limb and say that I think the Magna Grecia stock have "slipped under the radar" of many buyers. I have been really surprised at the relative lack of demand for them

Am I missing something? I do not pretend to the level of understanding of conformation that many on here have, but I just like the way so many of his foals walk/move.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:48pm
Thought the weanlings have been a mixed bag Breeder.

I wouldn't have recommend anyone attempt to pin-hook them, if for no other reason than the fact that he served 122 as a hard sell and was strongly Coolmore supported in 2020, yet only 44 in 2021.  

If he didn't sustain an injury last season he may well not be back in 2022, in which case anyone with one would find the market extremely difficult at the 2023 and 2024 yearling sales.

Whether his stock kick a goal or not is another question entirely.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

Lovely shoulder , I agree with KM bit light in cannons but a really nicely put together we have had a similar type and he has now better boned in the cannons but a lot of shinny probs initially after much remodelling .

Same thoughts here and Gays comment on pasterns brings to mind our staying mare - same set up in the front legs, gone a bit jointy and needs concussion plates in the dry weather, just down the track this maybe the case for your boy.
Agree about the shoulders and nice length of upper arm for a good stride length.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:56pm
Leaving conformation aside for a moment, surely Lot 322 bringing $350k (by Extreme Choice) at the MM Weanling sale is still a very bad joke.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 1:31am

Leaving conformation aside for a moment, surely Lot 322 bringing $350k (by Extreme Choice) at the MM Weanling sale is still a very bad joke.

Some of the prices were just bizarre.

That poor Pierata filly #310 was visibly lame in her walking video and still brought $65k.

The Extreme Choise #322 is pure market speculation.  Expect to see her at a yearling sale next year.

This Zousain colt sold for $130k, also pure speculation: https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/lot/22GWW/332 ; For comparison, the lone Kingman filly in the sale, out of a Dubawi half-sister to Pride of Dubai, sold for $120k.

Castelvecchio was feast or famine.  Either over $70k or passed in.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Dizzy Dizzy wrote:

Gold Revolver trials again on Monday 16th May at Randwick trial 5, and Beauty Crusade in trial 14.

Gold Revolver is racing on the 25th

25 May 22 - Australia: CANTERBURY Race 1
Tab Mdn Hcp 2 CG 1100m $50000
Horse: GOLD REVOLVER
Jockey: TIM CLARK
Trainer: G WATERHOUSE & A BOTT
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Kimberley Mine Kimberley Mine wrote:

Morbid curiosity finally overcame prudence, and I took a look at Omaha Beach weanlings in MM.

As a group, they're better than the ones at Inglis.  They're almost all camped under, and now we can add long pasterns to the undermuscled necks and questionable feet.

This young lad is probably the best bred of the Spendthrift group:  https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/lot/22GWW/285

I was really interested in seeing this one, who is a half to two stakes winners:   https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/lot/22GWW/65

Meanwhile, we get our first looks at Calyx and Magna Grecia foals.

This filly is out of Aqua d'Amore: https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/lot/22GWW/145

She has some scrapes on her shins.  Wonder what the story is on that.

And finally, this Pierata filly wins the prize for "why? why would you release this video?"   https://catalogue.magicmillions.com.au/lot/22GWW/310

They are a mixed bag for sure, I like lot 145.
Some are hard to look at, it is hard as they go though some ugly stages to be fair.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:25pm
Went very cheaply imo GAJ.  X-rays?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:27pm
Like Magna Grecia he hasn't proved popular in the breeding barn.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:41pm

Went very cheaply imo GAJ.  X-rays?

Weird marks on shins, X-rays, or possibly both.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 6:15pm
Ok, our third and final yearling purchase, a 2.5% share in Lot 101 Inglis Classic: colt by Xtravagant from Mussenden (Fastnet Rock).  Photo isn't great but like the way he walks.  Think the sire will make it, and couldn't resist at the price.  Any comments on his possible strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated.  Thumbs Up

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 6:43pm
But please watch the video first.  Smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 7:12pm
Love him (my type) & the sire. He doesn't appear to have the Fastnet bulk, at this stage anyway. Too crook to watch vids. Trainer?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 7:37pm
An ex-SA and Caulfield but now Cranbourne trainer with a recent strike rate of 22% winners to runners who allegedly punts and isn't exactly known for training miler/middle distance horses which this bloke should be.  Wink Embarrassed

Ya take ya chances.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 12:04am

Ok, our third and final yearling purchase, a 2.5% share in Lot 101 Inglis Classic: colt by Xtravagant from Mussenden (Fastnet Rock).  Photo isn't great but like the way he walks.  Think the sire will make it, and couldn't resist at the price.  Any comments on his possible strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated.  Thumbs Up

First impression from the still photo: still needs time.  His head and hindquarters look more mature than everything in between.  In particular he looks a bit short of rein, and the neck is usually one of the last things to grow out.

He's slightly offset in the left forefoot (the white one).  He toes out a bit in that foot, and in the right hind.  

I agree that he's a mile-ish type.

Pedigree-wise, Zabeel over Carnegie mares has 12% G1W to foals.  He has Zabeel through Xtravagant's dam and Carnegie through his 2nd dam.  

And for his immediate parents, his full brother has a win and a city placing in 5 starts (is spelling) and Xtravagant has 48% winners from runners as a 2nd crop sire.  

Overall, lots of positives.  Good luck with him.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 7:31pm
Thanks KM.  Star

The trainer promo's him as an early comer, which appears something of a stretch, so expended my 2.5% influence (ie bugger all) by suggesting everything about the colt in terms of pedigree and current development shouted miler-plus as a 3yo and beyond.  

And almost needless to say mentioned your welcome stats about the Zabeel over Carnegie success rate:  little of which would have exhibited itself in early comers.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 11:45pm

Thanks KM.  Star

The trainer promo's him as an early comer, which appears something of a stretch, so expended my 2.5% influence (ie bugger all) by suggesting everything about the colt in terms of pedigree and current development shouted miler-plus as a 3yo and beyond.  

And almost needless to say mentioned your welcome stats about the Zabeel over Carnegie success rate:  little of which would have exhibited itself in early comers.  

Overall, running him a few times as a 2yo and then putting him away has been shown to increase a young horse's overall soundness and bone development.  The key part of that, though, is the "putting him away" bit.  Especially if he does turn out to have some early talent.

Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 12:55pm
JHRA76
comments?
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:22pm
Lovely type, looks a bit low in the heels in this picture, work to be done, but overall whats not to like.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:27pm
I wholeheartedly agree with GAJ Smile Those feet need someone who knows what they're doing & now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:28pm
Agree with GAJ on both observations.  And maybe appears a bit light boned in the leg, or am I being a bit hard?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:37pm
Maurice/ Mosheen colt sold for 4.8 million.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:46pm
Well let's just hope the new owners empty their pockets to the tune of another couple of grand for a course of master farrier treatments/reconstruction.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Hello Sunshine Hello Sunshine wrote:

Maurice/ Mosheen colt sold for 4.8 million.

Certainly had the looks, what sale was it Where?? Sunshine?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:46pm
From the Mosheen thread:

Son of four-time Group 1 winner Mosheen sells for $4.8m

A colt out of the four-time Australian Group 1 winner Mosheen fetched an amazing $A4.8m at a Japanese yearling sale on Monday.

Mosheen was sold to the powerful Northern Farm operation after her outstanding racing career, which included wins in the 2012 Australian and Randwick Guineas, in the colours of the late Phil Sly.

The colt is by former Japanese champion Maurice, the sire of injured star Hitotsu and the Group 1 Doomben 10,000 winner Mazu.

Bidding started at 200m yen before the Danon group secured the colt for 450m yen.

Mosheen’s latest colt smashed the previous Japanese record for Maurice’s progeny, which previously stood at 130m yen (A$1.39m)

Mosheen has been a successful broodmare in Japan, producing Group 3 winner and Group 1-placed Primo Scene, a son of super stallion Deep Impact, as well as two other winners from two to race.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:47pm

$4.8m Maurice x Mosheen Colt Tops JRHA Select Yearling Sale

Mark Smith - Monday July 11

The JRHA Select Sale was underway at Northern Horse Park on Monday, with 240 yearlings catalogued for the opening day followed by 200 foals for Tuesday.

While perennial heavyweight Deep Impact (JPN) is missing from the sale, the success of the Japanese horses on the world stage has organisers hopeful of an increased overseas presence.  

The sale was off to a bright start with the opening lot, a son of one season Arrowfield shuttler Real Steel, making ¥180,000,000 (A$1,926,000) to the bid of DMM Com. The colt is a half-brother to six winners, including multiple Gr II winner Sciacchetra (Manhattan Café).

Top Lots

Lot 76 Seventy-six lots in Northern Farm’s Maurice (JPN) colt out of Fastnet Rock’s 4-time Gr 1 winner Mosheen was bought by Masahiro Noda of Danox Co.Ltd for ¥450,000,000 (A$4.8m), which was never in any danger of being eclipsed.

The sale-topper is a half-brother to 3-time Gr III winner Primo Scene (Deep Impact).https://www.breednet.com.au/news/18264/$4.8m-maurice-x-mosheen-colt-tops-jrha-select-yearling-sale

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:52pm
Lot 134, click to see her page.
Purchased by Mick Price and described as beautiful and athletic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 34>