Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

photo assessments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:07pm
10/10 to Glencoe for his first impressionTongue
I was taken with their lot 39
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Didn't see the toe out GAJ.  Will have another look.  But my worst fears confirmed: heavy and possibly camped under (ie sickle hocked).  A real pity because the prematurely deceased sire is going just great. 

Thanks to all.  Thumbs Up

ps James Harron might possibly say he ticks all the boxes.  Wink

Camped under and his hind fetlocks look weirdly thick for a yearling.  Given that his dam is by Savabeel, the slightly camped under hind end wouldn't put me off, as they run through it and are generally very sound.  

I note that in the walking video, his hind legs tracked more-or-less straight given that the handler wasn't walking perfectly straight.  On the other hand, his front legs in the head-on video -- base narrow and he wants to swing that left front inward.

Overall, this looks like a horse who needs time to mature/let that chest broaden out to match its hinds, and who will need a lot of work to stay race fit.

Speaking of base narrow, this lad looks to need some time to grow/fill out as well:  https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2021+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/228  

That said if I had to pick between the two today, I would pick #228.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:07am
Camped under and his hind fetlocks look weirdly thick for a yearling.

Now thats what I was trying to say but too dumb to get it right.  Thanks KM. Thumbs Up They do look so thick to me. But  I thought it was just me Embarrassed
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:46am
Ok, now we have Lot 336 Inglis Classic.  Only interested in purchasing a small share but may be too pricey as her 3yo Miss Tycoon Rose is now Group1 placed.  Any comments welcome, including whether looking at the motion video she might appear offset in front.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:27pm

Ok, now we have Lot 336 Inglis Classic.  Only interested in purchasing a small share but may be too pricey as her 3yo Miss Tycoon Rose is now Group1 placed.  Any comments welcome, including whether looking at the motion video she might appear offset in front.

Both of her hind legs are on the straight side.  In that photo, if you look at her left hind leg it's set behind her and the hoof is slightly off the ground.  If she were standing with all four feet level, you would see that there would be some daylight between her tail and her hocks.  This can predispose a horse to having hock or stifle problems down the road.  A lot depends on the sire and dam -- if either one of the parents has a hind end like that and ran sound on it, it's not so much a problem.  

Here is the mare's yearling of 2020 at Gold Coast, who doesn't have the straight hind leg:  http://www.sirecam.com/video/Magic_Millions_Gold_Coast_Yearling_Sale/2020/799

Looking at Russian Revolution, Snitzel, and Stravinsky, I think Stravinsky is the source of that straight hind leg.  Given that all of Russian Revolution's siblings have raced and all but one have at least 3 wins, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Moving on...

Her right hind leg toes out, she paddles with it, and if you watch the walking video, pay attention to how often she kicks up dust specifically with her right hind.  It's like the toe is digging into the sand.  I first noticed she was swinging that leg in the side-on video -- you can actually see her right hind foot landing to the outside of where her front foot was.  She doesn't do that on the left.  You may also notice that her right foot and white sock are, well, kind of gray from the dust.

It was hard to see if she was offset in front or not because of the shadows.  I agree that her right front looks offset (but it could be an illusion with the shadows), and she looks like she's toeing out in the right front as well (although not to the degree of the right hind).

As a racing prospect, I don't see anything that she shouldn't be able to run through.  She would need smart farrier care to keep her balanced up and keep her from interfering with herself.  She might need some time with ground poles to teach her to pick up her back feet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Camped under and his hind fetlocks look weirdly thick for a yearling.

Now thats what I was trying to say but too dumb to get it right.  Thanks KM. Thumbs Up They do look so thick to me. But  I thought it was just me Embarrassed

Honestly, other than looking weirdly thick, in the walking video he moves just fine.  It could just be that he's just a big thicc lad all over.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:39pm
Fwiw LOL that's the way I see it.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Splayed out behind, very long pasterns ( would she eventually go down on her bumpers) high set tail, doesn’t look overly strong behind. Will she knock herself when galloping?
 Having said that, it’s probably what Winx looked like LOL
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:35pm
Well most of this is covered, but I see the hindquarters are not correct, too straight, and walking like she is doped!
I like her length of rein and she is well balanced body wise, I think she will knock herself, but she just looked like a lazy girl moving, The way her near hind hit the ground in the beginning of the video, heel first??
Maybe best to inspect her in the flesh. Without the valium LOL

Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:46pm
First impression weak behind
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:26pm
Might develop  apple  hocks in the rear ,down the track imho .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Marvelous stuff from everyone, very much appreciated.  Star

That's some more cash I can keep in the mattress.

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:51am
Just started having a look, quite like this one, though my mattress is empty..Click to view gallery

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 11:13am

Marvelous stuff from everyone, very much appreciated.  Star

That's some more cash I can keep in the mattress.

Now watch it turn into a champion before our eyes Wink
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 12:34pm
And Lot 336 sells for a disappointing $90k.  Appears we were on the ball with this one.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:50pm
I got lot 39 "wrong" but interestingly a very good judge purchased for $45K. Jamie Walter
I did get lot 41 right. An outstanding judge George Moore
Just shows how difficult photo assessments are
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 6:00am
I got it right on 228 -- sold for $140k to WA owners.  I expect to see him as a summer 3yo.

The Russian Revolution yearling sales prices were all over the place.  Filly #336 was one of the higher-priced ones.  Merchant Navy's sales prices were also all over the place.  

Tough to have an Xtravagant yearling.

Anyone with an Almanzor yearling has to be happy.  That said, I wonder what #453's x-rays looked like, to be a half to a Listed winner who's reeled off 2 Randwick wins and a 2nd in 3 races in its current prep and be out of a Gr-3 winning Redoute's Choice mare, and still sell for only slightly over 2x the stud fee.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I thought he presented well , he is a closely coupled young fella but having a look at the video a nice fluent walking type , the timber looks ok to me and he really looks like he's thrown to the dam and I've never laid eyes on her , ( has that Savabeel look ) you could do a lot worse if you were the buyer imo.
Comanche Brave impressive winner hillside today over 1800 at 4th start ( 3/yo) , same cross as lot 575 , Sacred Falls x Do Ra Mi , by Savabeel .
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
GAJ - straight shoulder, minus
Really good muscling forearm, good strong bone, plus 
Nice enough type
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 3:17pm
Hi Sister, Thank you  - Good shoulder lay in my view, front of wither in line with the elbow, plenty of horse in front of the saddle.
I like the balance, not presented in an overweight manner, didn't like to video, too close to get and overall impression, maybe its just a good photo Wink
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
I tend to do a quick cull on balance when scanning photo images.
As expected the better the sale then more pass the first cut
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
Nine-ish months later, a "what happened to them?" thread

#336, Russian Revolution/Splat is named Serafima with John O'Shea's barn and has trialed once.

#39, Ocean Park/Hope So is named Aquatica and is with Proven Thoroughbreds.  No official trials.

#575 Sacred Falls/Do Ra Mi (the big thicc lad) was bought by a Hong Kong-based owner, no idea where he is now.

#41 Invader/Hussidora is also off to Hong Kong with George Moore.  

#228 Preferment/Piece of Cake is named Wind Power with Sean & Jake Casey and has trialed once.

#12 Russian Revolution/Goldylux that GAJ liked, was purchased by Blueblood for Gai & Bott, has been syndicated and broken in, but I can't find a name.  Has not trialed yet.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
Hi Kimberley Mine,
I saw the Goldylux colt on Facebook for whatever reason I don't know, maybe it was an owner showing him on the racehorses page or the like to friends.
Maybe they are giving him time to mature with any luck.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
“I fell in love with the way this athletic colt moved, he was an absolute eye catcher. He’s a real credit to first season sire The Autumn Sun.” ’s Mounting Yard Analyst has given her 'Pick of the Sale' - Lot 842 The Autumn Sun x Cavaloce colt.

reductio ad absurdum
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:37pm
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:56pm
He'll fetch some coin.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:15pm
This could go better.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:17pm
Lot 584
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
Talking about the Autumn Sun lots mentioned earlier's, Lot 727 was run up to $180k and passed in at that price: two of us commented about him in the MM 2022 thread.  Lot 584 sold for $260k.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>