Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Filthy rich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filthy rich
    Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:20pm
Now this is the part that confuses me.

"The ATO also revealed surgeons had the highest average income of any other profession, earning $406,068 a year.

Anaesthetists came in second with $388,814."

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/2022/08/09/australia-richest-postcodes/?breaking_live_scroll=1

Why do anaesthetists make so much? I know which job I'd rather. Jeez, at all the operations I've had, all at regional hospitals, the job was handled by GPs with a diploma in anasthesia. It can't be that hard, can it?LOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:29pm
 I know two anaesthetists. It's a bloody lot harder job than most think. 

If they fail in their job, the consequences are dire.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:25pm
This morning I had a 20 minute day routine procedure in a private hospital.  I have private health insurance , hospital charged $1087 got $587 back. In and out in 3hrs 15 minutes. I await the surgeon's and anaesthetist's accounts. 
As I private patient I was able to arrange the date and time to my liking, unlike in a public hospital, where I probably would still be awaiting in December to get it done. Money on private health insurance well spent IMO. Even better surgeon said see you in 5 >7 years for another routine check up.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:40pm
 that's fine if you can afford it, Bob...

but the gap between the bill and the recompense is disgraceful...

Thumbs Down
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:03pm
We've been paying Private Health insurance premiums for more than 50 years and, wait for it, at a cost well exceeding $100,000.  Being fit and healthy we've recovered about $7,000 following general health, eye and and other issues.

Am undergoing eye surgery tomorrow, and again in another 10 days time.  After Medicare and Private Health Insurance rebates will still be up for $4-5k out of my own pocket.  Had we instead invested our premiums over the 50 years we'd be hugely in front, however the fear factor of potentially HUGE medical costs kept us contributing.  Ouch

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:18pm
No doubt private health funds are not in the business to lose, however as you point out if you remain fit and healthy you contribute to their bottom line, but if you had been unfit and unhealthy would most likely would be miles ahead financially, although health wise not so much. Like all insurances, home, health, car etc we all hope we do not have to claim, but if we need to claim we know we have the peace of mind knowing we will not be bankrupted.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:52pm
I have had prostate surgery, hernia fix and eye surgery all in private hospitals

My private health insurance covered all hospital costs and the surgeon's costs for the eye surgery and the hernia.

The only costs I incurred was for the urologist whose total bill was $4500 of which the insurance paid $3000 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

No doubt private health funds are not in the business to lose, however as you point out if you remain fit and healthy you contribute to their bottom line, but if you had been unfit and unhealthy would most likely would be miles ahead financially, although health wise not so much. Like all insurances, home, health, car etc we all hope we do not have to claim, but if we need to claim we know we have the peace of mind knowing we will not be bankrupted.

the gap can just about send you bankrupt.

I do not have private insurance anymore. Not for twenty years.  I instead invested the money I would have paid into one and it was used to pay the full amount for my cataract surgeries, also dental surgery removal of a broken tooth, and a few other minor surgeries. 

The major hospital surgery bills...for my two back fusions and two Caesarean childbirths, were paid for by the government. I did not cough up a penny and did not have to wait. My surgeons were the best in their fields. 

My sister...a teacher... kept up private insurance all her life. Having her two children cost her over ten thousand dollars out of pocket, despite having top cover. In a public hospital. 

Private insurance is a crock of....

Thumbs Down  

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:11am
JJ, By any chance is your house or your car insured ?  If you cancel them you could save yourself a fortune, provided , of course you have no need to claim. I consider private health insurance like those two. I am insuring against a financial loss , although I pay a price for that peace of mind. Every now and then a 100/1 chance wins a horse race but in 99% of the time they lose, like those odds, every so often someone's house burns down or they crash their car and then the insurance company pays up.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:25am
You need to read the fine print on all those house insurance policies very well tho, Bob.  Many here had their home insurance refused after floods as the insurance companies disputed it was one thing and not the other .  Floods, storms, etc.  Cant remember exactly what the arguement was over,  but many who had paid religously for years got nothing .  The one mob that did pay up no questions ask, and quickly, was NRMA.   Another of the bigger ones just point blank refused, even tho the local member took it as far as he could. A lot of people lost a lot thanks to insurance non payment, and they had a lot go into bat for them.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:28am

JJ, By any chance is your house or your car insured ?  If you cancel them you could save yourself a fortune, provided , of course you have no need to claim. I consider private health insurance like those two. I am insuring against a financial loss , although I pay a price for that peace of mind. Every now and then a 100/1 chance wins a horse race but in 99% of the time they lose, like those odds, every so often someone's house burns down or they crash their car and then the insurance company pays up.

LOL no...and no...

I live in an apartment, not a house. I think the fees I pay cover insurance.

I do not...nor ever have...owned a car. I so not drive...except some people up a wall...

It's amazing how much spare revenue one has, not owning a car. They are money guzzlers. It is why I have the wherewithal to travel. I have my priorities in proportion to my wanted lifestyle. 

Keep paying out, Bob...Clap

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:48am
JJ. as you live in an apartment your body corporate fees will cover your building but not your contents. In the case of a fire, flood or robbery unless you take out a contents policy you are not covered if you lose anything within your apartment as result of fire, flood or robbery.
I don't how you have managed to go through life without a car. Fortunately, I guess the amount I pay for all my insurances is relative to my  income, and that, despite my grumblings, has never been an issue.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:14pm
 For a start, Bob, when I was younger, my older siblings had cars and drove me around. Then, later, my husband drove me everywhere, or he arranged for one of his fleet of taxis to pick me up. Now my younger daughter is my car transport...if I need it, which I usually don't.  I love public transport. I've always lived on a regular bus-route, so transport has never been an issue. 

As a writer, I like to observe people. I get to analyse the human element on public transport. It's fascinating. I also love trains and I detest long car journeys. 

As for the possibility of losing my home contents in a fire...apart from cherished photographs and memorabilia...I wouldn't care. I'd have to find a new home, anyway. That is more of a worry than the furniture. 

We are not all 'Bobs', you know. Some of us have different priorities. I hate to tell you, but I detest wine and think 'connoisseurs are wank-ers...

Evil Smile

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:22pm
 I like a fruity iced mango tea...vintage 2022. Or a full-bodied vanilla milkshake. Or a ripe sweet orange cordial...chilled.

You can stick the ridiculously expensive Grange right up the wine cellar, Bob. 

LOL
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:27pm
 Talking of the ''filthy rich'...we were discussing the other day whether caviar and truffles were a joke played on the rich, to con them out of money.  

Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:52pm
 It just struck me, Bob, that you, being a Melbournite, would naturally think not driving a car is a hardship. 

If I lived in Melbourne, I'd possibly agree. Your public transport system is crap. Certain parts of the city are a pain to get to by public transport. I usually have to taxi around Melbourne...or walk a country mile. 

Brisbane is better. I've never had to use a taxi in Brisbane City. They have regular buses to everywhere. Clean buses that keep to a timetable. Very efficient. 

So is Adelaide. Their transport system is efficient, not crammed like sardines...and clean. A bit quirky, but okay.  

Sydney has the best public transport of all. You can get to anywhere easily, by bus, train, ferry or light rail. No need for a taxi, unless you've drunk too much wine. 

Sorry, but that is the truth. Melbourne transport stinks...literally. So you are better off owning a car. 

Geek
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:58pm
"Sydney has the best public transport of all. You can get to anywhere easily, by bus, train, ferry or light rail. No need for a taxi, unless you've drunk too much wine." 

You may have a Coogeecentric view of Sydney's public transport.  I'm sure I could russle up a few million Sydney residents who disagree. Wink

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 1:15pm
 not really. I travel all around Sydney, not just my own area. 

We were considering coming home from Ettalong, recently, by ferry, bus, ferry and bus...down the northern peninsular. Just for the fun of it.   Everything co-ordinated. We only changed our mind and caught a bus, a train, the light rail and our home bus, because the weather cancelled the Pittwater ferry service. 

We often go to Peakhurst to see my sister-in-law. Or to Burwood for shopping. Or to Chatswood to go to Gram. Or to Cronulla, just for fun, hoping to avoid my sister, who lives there. Or to Homebush to the Easter Show or swim at the Aquatic Centre.  No problems with any of that travel.

Which areas are you referring to, Tlaz? 

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I like a fruity iced mango tea...vintage 2022. Or a full-bodied vanilla milkshake. Or a ripe sweet orange cordial...chilled.

LOL
The only time I have drank Grange in the past five years is with my son and his wife to celebrate the birth of my three grandsons, a granddaughter is due in December with my other son, so we will open another bottle on her arrival. I might keep a couple in the cellar for my second son as he and his wife anticipate having  more children. After drinking those previous bottles I have left it with my son to pass onto to those grandchildren as a memento for them as to the significance of a healthy new born grandchild means to my wife and myself. Hardly an indulgence.
BTW I have been known to make a vanilla milkshake at home and add a banana for good measure. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:24pm
 just the fact you drink Grange at all, sets up your profile...

Thumbs Up

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:30pm
His profile?

You mean he’s no connoisseur?

I agree, there are better reds at a lower price than GrangeWink
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:34pm

LOL
The only time I have drank Grange in the past five years is with my son and his wife to celebrate the birth of my three grandsons, a granddaughter is due in December with my other son, so we will open another bottle on her arrival. I might keep a couple in the cellar for my second son as he and his wife anticipate having  more children. After drinking those previous bottles I have left it with my son to pass onto to those grandchildren as a memento for them as to the significance of a healthy new born grandchild means to my wife and myself. Hardly an indulgence.
BTW I have been known to make a vanilla milkshake at home and add a banana for good measure. 

I'm still laughing at that. As if adding a banana is something unreal. Lol.

We live on banana smoothies...or nutella and banana shakes. Putting in a banana is not anything special...

LOL
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

His profile?

I got spell-checked on connoisseur. Took me three goes to get it right. Embarrassed 

I am obviously a Phillistine...oops...Philistine...

Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:05pm

Thumbs Up

I bought them in the mid 1990s  at 1/5 of their current price, and relish the fact that I am able to drink a such an iconic bottle at such a price. What do you want me to do with the rest , sell them ( I do not need the money ) or drink them to celebrate the birth of a healthy grandchild ?

Rather than setting up my profile maybe it sets up your profile, as Theodore Roosevelt once said " When we compare ourselves to what others have, or simply how they are, we are essentially making ourselves feel down right inadequate and deflated – with a low self esteem to match "
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:39pm
Rose coloured glasses re Sydney public transport.  Trains always on strike.  Busses either late or too full .
Taxis give you the long way round for the short way home if you dont know the area.  And that new light rail thingo out to Randwick is broken down half the time.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:57pm
 we use the Randwick light rail, constantly. Rarely out of action.

It's the Dulwich Hill service which was continually cracking up.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:59pm

His profile?

Rusty, I don't think JJ would know the difference between a Grange or a bottle of rough red , no, she was not referring to my choice of wine as to my profile.Ouch
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:08pm

Thumbs Up

I bought them in the mid 1990s  at 1/5 of their current price, and relish the fact that I am able to drink a such an iconic bottle at such a price. What do you want me to do with the rest , sell them ( I do not need the money ) or drink them to celebrate the birth of a healthy grandchild ?

Rather than setting up my profile maybe it sets up your profile, as Theodore Roosevelt once said " When we compare ourselves to what others have, or simply how they are, we are essentially making ourselves feel down right inadequate and deflated – with a low self esteem to match "

funny, you quoting that...I was just going to put up a Clive James quote...

"Look after your conceit. You'll need it. There are people lined up from here to the horizon to humble you. The only thing that will sustain you is self-belief."

ClapClapClap 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:12pm

His profile?

Rusty, I don't think JJ would know the difference between a Grange or a bottle of rough red , no, she was not referring to my choice of wine as to my profile.Ouch

I can tell the difference, Bob. I once used to drink wine. Long long ago. 

I am just not a poseur. 

Evil Smile
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:24pm
Nah, that’s not right.
Nothing wrong with having special bottles for special occasions…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>