Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Federer Gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Federer Gone
    Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:20pm
He was a great champion but it eventually must end.He was beaten comprehensively by Murray,may somehow squeeze out 1 more major but probably not.
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:25pm
So Nadal and everyone else that didn't make the final must be gone also. What's with you and these topics? Did he give you a glare once or something?
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:30pm

Don't know the story with Nadal,may have been injured,sick,off colour but he is winning the big ones so that's all good.

I am stating a fact,he is on a downward curve,he can't last forever.Are you saying he will win a heap more,if so you know nothing about tennis,even your big mouth can't disguise that.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:34pm
What rubbish.

The guy defeated Djokovic but lost to a red hot Murray. No disgrace about that.

Sure he is not invincible like he once was, but he is still a major threat in any tournament he contests.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:48pm
Fair enough Saintly,I disagree ,but we shall see how he goes over the next year.

Red hot Murray,is that an oxymoron LOL
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:12pm
How did Mark Edmondson go?
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Fair enough Saintly,I disagree ,but we shall see how he goes over the next year.

Red hot Murray,is that an oxymoron LOL

For sure Whale, it will be interesting to see how he fares next year.

I am not doubting that he is back to the pack, but his grand slam record is nothing short of amazing, write him off at your peril.
Shakamaker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakamaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 10:48pm
In the 2nd set last night Federer was serving at 1-2 and 30-40, a volley caught the baseline and was called out as Murray lunged and got a floater back which Fed put away.
Fed challenged the call and it was indeed in, point was replayed and Murray broke before serving out the remainder of the set to take the title.
It was a cruel call at a vital time of the match which cost Fed getting to deuce.
Fed had a great tournament, a 2-0 loss to Murray does not mean he's gone, I wish I was as gone as him.
Slams Federer 16 Murray 0 Big smile
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 9:54am

Don't know the story with Nadal,may have been injured,sick,off colour but he is winning the big ones so that's all good.

I am stating a fact,he is on a downward curve,he can't last forever.Are you saying he will win a heap more,if so you know nothing about tennis,even your big mouth can't disguise that.

He has come back to the pack, I'm just unsure as to why you keep up the persistent topic about this? It's almost like you hold a grudge for some reason. Confused

He still made it to the final, which is a better result than everyone else in the tournament except one person.

He won the Aussie open in January and the Cincinnati Masters in August. He hasn't been as dominant as he was from 2004-2006 but I don't see the need to be throwing it back in his face, he's been one of the best tennis players ever to play. Just seems rather ungracious from you for no particular reason.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 3:09am
Look the thing is he is like the Williams sisters at this point in his career.

He could not give a rats about the China Open, the Dubai Classic or the Kooyong invitational he is only interested in being a chance in the grand slams.

I agree that he is on a downward spiral, but he will still make his presence felt next year starting at Rod Laver Arena, especiallly when Nadal has to much christmas cheer again and pulls out with a feigned injury.

Bad thigh $2.60, Headache $2.20, Strained back muscle $4.00 and Pulled Groin $10.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:55am
This week proves he is far from finished, he produced the goods all week defeating Murray, Djokovic and Nadal.
Shakamaker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakamaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:22am
Yep fantastic stuff this morning, absolutely put the cleaners through Nadal in that final set to win 63 36 61.
He beat nos 1,3,4,5,6 this week only dropping 1 set.

The GOAT is still the GOAT
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:37am
I hope he brings that form to the Aussie Open
EAD
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:22pm
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:23pm
thanks Ecaire
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:27pm
I thought Bondy was going off a bit early LOL
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:26pm
Federer still has another 2 Grand Slam wins in him.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:32am
Since the 2010 Australian Open (so the last 20 slams) Roger has won only 1, 2012 Wimbledon, by comparison Rafa Nadal has won 8, Novak Djokovic 6 and Andy Murray 2, the other 2 being Wawrinka here last year and also Cilic last year in New York, the 20th being this tournament now, I think Roger's slam days are just about past him, he may sneak another Wimbledon but on the other surfaces he has ben surpassed by the younger guys, still amongst the GOAT's no doubt however...
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:58am
He was extremely poor yesterday. He even admitted it himself. So he is feeling his own mortality.

Sepi played well but Roger missed shot after shot.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:00pm

Roger Federer knee injury sparks retirement fears for the 38-year-old champion

Roger Federer’s knee injury shocked much of the tennis world earlier this week with fears the superstar may be running on fumes.

Roger Federer’s knee injury bombshell has many believing the end is very near for the 20-time Grand Slam champion.

Federer has long dismissed retirement claims with the 38-year-old exceeding even his own expectations.

Whether it’s because of the competition from Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic breathing down his neck as they chase his Grand Slam record, Federer has lasted longer than even he predicted.

He admitted in November that he believed he would retire as a 35 or 36-year-old but said “my retirement will depend on my health”.

Federer claimed the last of his Grand Slam titles in 2018 and even made the 2019 Wimbledon final, where he lost a classic to Djokovic.

But his body has started to slow down as the next generation, led by Dominic Thiem, who can overtake Federer as World No. 3 with a quarterfinal win in the Rio Open.

Now, needing a second surgery for a knee injury, it looks like his ageless body is finally starting to show its age.

Federer last had knee surgery on his left knee in 2016 and took sixth months off and has had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this time around.

After the last injury, he came back to win the 2017 and 2018 Australian Open as well as the 2017 Wimbledon title.

Rumours circulated he was going to withdraw from his Australian Open semi-final through a groin injury that limited him against Djokovic in the semi-final.

Federer was far from his best and said, “Today was horrible, to go through what I did” after the straight sets defeat, despite getting plenty of love, including from his opponent.

He also fell in five sets during the US Open quarters to Grigor Dimitrov after suffering back and neck pain.

The ailments are starting to ramp up but with four months before a return for the grass court season, Federer is hopeful he will have a future in the sport.

He posted on social media Thursday that his knee had been an issue “for a little while”.

“I hoped it would go away,” he said.

“After the procedure, the doctors confirmed that it was the right thing to have done and are very confident of a full recovery.”

Now Federer, who for years has faced questions about how much longer he’ll compete, will miss upcoming hard-court tournaments in Dubai, Indian Wells, and Miami, along with what was supposed to be a rescheduled exhibition match in Bogota, Colombia, that was cancelled in November because of rioting there.

He also is going to sit out Roland Garros, the next Grand Slam tournament, which begins May 24, the fourth time in the past five years Federer is absent from the clay-court major he won in 2009, completing a career Grand Slam.

There is also the belief that he may need a second surgery according to Swiss newspaper Aargauer Zeitung which may have Federer looking at retirement.

Kevin Mitchell of The Guardian said the announcement pointed to a bleak future for Federer fans.

“His worldwide audience went into paroxysms of grief, registering more than 10,000 “likes” in half an hour, although there was not much to like,” Mitchell wrote.

“Their concern — and that of the entire industry — is that, at 38, Federer is hurrying towards the last chapter of his remarkable story.

“While he has had injuries in the past — although few until he passed 35, certainly not as many as his most of his contemporaries — the accumulation of trouble in key areas of his body does not encourage confidence in his medium-to long-term future.”

Former World No. 1 and current Nadal coach Carlos Moya shocked when he retired 18 months after reaching the top of the world rankings.

He told Spanish publication Las Provincias that Federer was clearly nearing the end but still able to create some incredible moments.

“It is clear that with each passing day, they have one less,” he said.

“Federer made semi-finals in Australia and if he had won the first set against Djokovic, anything could have happened.

“It is the law of life, as tennis lovers you have to enjoy them.”

Speaking to the New York Times, Federer’s former coach Paul Annacone calmed concerns he wouldn’t make it back.

“The big challenge in my experience is the older you get, the harder it is to come back from anything,” Annacone said.

“But these all-time greats are aberrations, not the rule, so you risk your own peril to predict what’s going to happen, pro or con. In 2010, when I started with him, people were wondering when he was going to retire.”

Thiem, who is set to pounce on Federer’s World No. 3 ranking, told Break Point Brasil he was looking forward to Federer’s return.

“Me and everybody else love to watch him, love when he’s around in the ATP Tour,” Thiem said. “It is sad that he is out until Wimbledon, but on the other hand if he needs the surgery, if he is ready for grass season, it’s good if he is back playing in great shape.”

Speaking to the BBC’s Simon Parker, Federer confirmed he had been thinking about what’s next, admitting he has some plans.

“There’s a lot of things that I can’t do as well,” he said. “That’s also one of the big beauties of what’s coming after. Actually, I’ll have the time to learn a new instrument, maybe another language, or maybe go visit some places I’ve never been to and learn from that.

“I’m a good tennis player doesn’t mean I’m good at everything else. And I think it’s also quite exciting to start somewhere from scratch again.

“By far not a good chef or good cook by any stretch, so I’ll look to learn that as well. That can be done altogether with my children because I know they love their cooking.”

Let’s hope we can squeeze another Grand Slam or Olympic gold out before he becomes the well-Fed Express.

Whale, you started 2 threads in the same year with the identical title. Happily it's a 1st for you & here's hoping there isn't a 2nd Wink

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:17pm

He was a great champion but it eventually must end.He was beaten comprehensively by Murray,may somehow squeeze out 1 more major but probably not.

How many has he won since this comment ?

How was not in the sad thread ?
reductio ad absurdum
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:19pm
Sad threads did not exist, then it was forgotten about, have a look now Wink
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:11pm
To be fair to Whale, he only won one slam between 11-16 before his renaissance in 2017 with the Aus and Wimbledon crowns and defending his Aus.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:18pm
I wished I was as good as him now ...

Whats wrong with him playing , he's still competitive
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

To be fair to Whale, he only won one slam between 11-16 before his renaissance in 2017 with the Aus and Wimbledon crowns and defending his Aus.
Darn - do we really have to Afross !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Darn - do we really have to Afross !

Are you dyslexic ?

Afros *
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:48pm

Wow, Whale you posted that in 2010, only ten years ago. You must be embarrassed making such a ridiculous prediction.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:57pm
Of course Bob, which is why I posted this in Sad Threads nealry 4 hours ago :

Had forgotten about this one but Gay actually posted there Shocked
Hardly any posts or views and 10 years premature, very sad and Embarrassed for me

Not as embarrassed as I am for your pathetic desperate attempts to "shame " me , that is truly sad LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:31am
macca, we already have several threads clogged up with 'where's Doc' including pages worth in "MIA" so please refrain from reposting!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 11:02am
Fed is the greatest no matter what joker does
EAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>