Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

European Racing 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Racing 2021
    Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 2:20am
The Cheltenham Gold Cup has just been run & won by Minella Indo defeating A Plus Tard & Al Boum Photo who won the 2019 & 2020 editions of the Cup. The winner was ridden by Jack Kennedy & trained by Henry de Bromhead who also had the second horse.

Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:13am
The Gp3 Prix Penelope was won by Philomene (3f Dubawi - Prudenzia, by Dansili) with Incarville 2½ lengths behind in second place.  It was an impressive win & she might be one of the better contenders for Prix de Diane later in the year.

Philomene is a half-sister to the Gp1 winners Magic Wand & Chicquita.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:30am
The Listed Further Flight Stakes (14 furlongs) has just been won by Sir Ron Priestley (5h  Australia - Reckoning, by Danehill Dancer). It was his first start since Sep 2019 when he ran 2nd in the St Leger to Logician. He had previously won the Gp3 March Stakes. Sir Ron Priestley led, was joined in the home straight by the favourite, Ocean Wind, but dug deep & outstayed him.

His dam, Reckoning, has had a successful past fortnight as her son, Subjectivist, won the G2 Dubai Gold Cup. He tasted Gp1 success in the 2020 Prix Royal-Oak.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:19pm
No mention of the female jockey winning the Grand National ??
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 11:24am

ACROSS THE GLOBE RACHAEL STEALS THE SPOTLIGHT FROM JAMIE

JAMIE KAH held the world spotlight as the first female to ride a Group 1 winner for the powerful Godolphin Empire but that was stolen by RACHAEL BLACKMORE hours later when she became the first woman to win the Grand National at Aintree.

FRANK KEOGH of BBC SPORT reports that Blackmore made sporting history by becoming the first female jockey to win the Grand National with victory on Minella Times at Aintree.

The Irish rider (pictured above courtesy of THE TELEGRAPH) scored a thrilling triumph aboard the 11-1 chance, trained by Henry de Bromhead who also saddled runner-up Balko Des Flos.

"I don't feel male or female right now. I don't even feel human," 31-year-old Blackmore told ITV.

Any Second Now was third, with Burrows Saint fourth.

The 173rd running of the world's most famous steeplechase provided a story for the ages as Blackmore won in the colours of owner JP McManus.

Blackmore had already achieved a landmark success at last month's Cheltenham Festival when becoming the first woman to be the meeting's leading jockey.

She demonstrated perfect poise and timing to guide Minella Times expertly round the 30 fences over more than four and a quarter miles for victory by six and a half lengths.

The closest a female jockey had previously come to winning the race was Katie Walsh on Seabass in 2012 when she finished third.

"I cannot believe it," Blackmore said. "He was a sensational spin. It is unbelievable."

There were no spectators at the Merseyside track because of Covid-19 protocols, but the historic moment was not lost on the jockeys, trainers and owners in attendance who cheered the pair back into the winner's enclosure.

The 1-2 for De Bromhead sealed his own remarkable story, having won the Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase and Gold Cup at Cheltenham.

One of the 40 runners, The Long Mile, was euthanised after suffering an injury while running on the flat between fences. It was the second equine fatality in eight editions of the race since safety changes were introduced in 2013.

Jockey Bryony Frost was taken to hospital after being unseated from her mount Yala Enki.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:36pm

There’s no point in now telling lies: I wasn’t part of the Rachael Blackmore brains trust that advised the relatively unsuccessful amateur to turn professional at the age of 25, to try her hand at a profession which would require as much mental toughness as most other people think it requires physical resilience.

I wasn’t one of the few who spotted the talent and, being honest, until we crossed paths in her first season as a claiming professional, I only knew her as Miss R Blackmore on the racecards, riding occasionally for John “Shark” Hanlon.

She says she turned professional because she had nothing to lose, but I don’t buy that.

A young woman fresh out of college had as much to lose as she was ever likely to gain. But I guess there was the mentality and outlook that we are all seeing now.

The will to try, the belief to keep trying, the state of mind to recognise improvement will always be needed, and the ability to be self-critical, but not to the point of self-doubt, are not strengths all people possess.

Even if they sound simple, the easy things are always the hardest.

I will also freely admit I was never sure — nor am I still — that being a professional jump jockey is a trade for every female because, simply, it is not one for every male either. Winning is magnificent, but the only guarantees any jockey has is that they will lose more than they win and will hit the ground on average once in every 19 rides.

Anthony McCoy is the winning-most and losing-most National Hunt jockey of all time; Richard Johnson is second in both; I am third. One comes with the other, and you can do the maths for how many falls each of us had.

The physical pain of anything in life leaves you quickly, it is what affect it has on you mentally that will determine what course of action you take.

It is those individuals who repeatedly pick themselves up and go again that I admire most.

For me, this is where Rachael Blackmore breaks the mould.

Some of the most talented horse people in the world have been female, but in a sport where two ambulances follow you around every day, it is the sheer strength of will she has to pick herself off the floor and go again that amazes me.

There is no doubt she has ridden her way to the top of the tree, helped by the support of many, but given the opportunity to ride better horses by Gigginstown House Stud, firstly, and Henry de Bromhead, secondly, that has pushed her to where she is now.

When I was given my last champion jockey’s trophy, in 2017, I stood beside her on the podium at Punchestown as she was crowned champion conditional and even from then to now, she is unrecognisable.

Her progress in the finer details of race-riding has been on a trajectory that economists would love, but even since Honeysuckle in the 2020 Mares’ Hurdle at Cheltenham to Honeysuckle in the 2021 Champion Hurdle, Rachael has further harnessed the skills of race-riding.

Tactical awareness, judgement of pace, and conviction in her own plans led to Saturday at Aintree, where, by the time she crossed back over the Melling Road after jumping just 12 of the 30 fences in the world’s greatest steeplechase, she was singing off her own hymn sheet, situated exactly here she wanted to be, just lengths behind the leader, Jett, close to the favourite, Cloth Cap, and beside her housemate, Patrick Mullins, who was on Burrows Saint.

From there, she negotiated her way over The Chair and set off on what must have been the most thrilling two miles of her life as, with each fence jumped thereafter, she felt the reality of winning the Grand National grow greater.

From the elbow she knew she would win. What she felt then was the excitement of a lifetime’s ambition becoming reality.

Indescribable, but what she didn’t yet feel like she had accomplished was the breaking of the highest glass ceiling in National Hunt racing.

A woman had finally ridden the winner of the Grand National.

No ordinary person, either, because whilst she undoubtedly has the physical strength, it is the mental courage of any top sports person that she has too.

I know from looking at her that physically, as I did myself, she aches at the minute when she gets a fall, but no-one outside of Rachael’s world will even notice that.

Her achievements at Cheltenham and on Saturday at Aintree have been earned whilst parking pain in some far-flung corner of her brain.

I watched her fall from Plan Of Attack at an empty Prestbury Park an hour after Allaho won the Ryanair Chase.

I stood with David Casey, watching the screens being erected around her as the medical team attended, and we both thought something was amiss. It probably was, but she got up and walked away. When you ask her how she is, her mouth utters the words “fine, thanks” but her eyes scream otherwise, and her body just carries on because that is the price of success.

Ronan O’Gara always told me that when you miss the first penalty take the second like it’s the first. Simple logic, but try it someday when you make a mistake.

Yet, when Captain Guinness ran away with her in the Arkle, she parked it and won the Champion Hurdle an hour later.

Jason The Militant dumped her far too easily in the Aintree Hurdle on Thursday and she responded by winning the Grand National. How? Why? Because she can do it all: Park physical pain, take the pressure of setbacks and defeats,and carry on delivering.

I doubt Rachael will read this, but if you do, have a look in the mirror. You are Rachael Blackmore. You are a Grand National-winning rider. But most of all, you are a brilliant jockey.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40263593.html

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:40am
The Listed Feilden Stakes (9 Fur) has been won by Highland Avenue (3c Dubawi - Lumiere, by Shamardal). It was a Godolphin quinella with Secret Protector running second & a good gap back to Royal Champion in third. The dam, Lumiere, won the Gp1 Cheveley Park Stakes as a 2yo.

While only a listed race, the Feilden Stakes has been won by G1 winners Golden Horn, Intello, Golden Snake, Olden Times, Campanologist, Ventura Storm, Storm Trooper & Redwood.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:57am
Also, forgot to post results from Sunday of Classic trials from Ireland.

The Gp3 Ballysax Stakes (10 fur) was won by Bolshoi Ballet (3c Galileo - Alta Anna, by Anabaa). This race has been previously won by the likes of Galileo, High Chaparral, Yeats, Fame And Glory, Fascinating Rock, Harzand & Rekindling.

The Gp3 Leopardstown 1,000 Guineas Trial Stakes (7 fur) was won by Keeper Of Time (3f Mehmas - Motheeba, by Mustanfar)

The Listed Leopardstown 2,000 Guineas Trial Stakes (8 fur) was won by Poetic Flare (3c Dawn Approach - Maria Lee, by Rock Of Gibraltar).

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:02am
The Gp3 Nell Gwyn Stakes (7 fur) has been won by Sacred (3f Exceed And Excel - Sacre Caroline, by Blame) defeating Saffron Beach & Love Is You.

The Gp3 Earl Of Sefton Stakes (9 fur) was won by My Oberon (4h Dubawi - My Titania, by Sea The Stars) defeating Marie's Diamond & San Donato

The Listed European Free Handicap (7 fur) was won by the Queen's colt Tactical (3c Toronado - Make Fast, by Makfi) defeating Naval Crown & Ontario.

In Ireland, the Listed Heritage Stakes (8 fur) was won by Lope Y Fernandez (4h Lope De Vega - Black Dahlia, by Dansili) easily defeating Saltonstall & Koolasice.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:37pm
Palace Pier will have his first start in 2021 tonight in the Gp2 Sandown Mile. He won two Group Ones last year as a 3yo. He only has three opponents tonight & is currently 5/2 on.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:34am
The Gp3 Gordon Richards Stakes over about 10 furlongs has been won by Waldkonig (4h Kingman - Waldlerche, by Monsun). He is a half brother to the Arc winner, Waldgeist.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:05am
The Gp2 Sandown Mile was won very easily by Palace Pier (4h Kingman - Beach Frolic, by Nayef). Bless Him was 2nd & Happy Power 3rd. That takes Palace Pier's record to 6 wins & a 3rd from 7 starts.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:54am
The Gp3 Sandown Classic Trial (about 10 fur) was won by Alenquer (3c Adlerflug - Wild Blossom, by Areion) from Adayar & Yibir. Yibir & Alenquer were the leaders while Adayar (3c Frankel - Anna Salai, by Dubawi) finished solidly.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 4:38am
The Gp3 Vintage Crop Stakes over 14 furlongs at Navan was won by Baron Samedi (4g Harbour Watch - Dame Shirley, by Haafhd). Master Of Reality ran 2nd with Emperor Of The Sun in 3rd. Last year's Irish Derby winner Santiago finished an ordinary 4th beaten 4¼ lengths as a long odds on favourite.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:12pm
Some interesting racing at Ascot tonight with three stakes races being run.

The Gp3 Sagaro Stakes (about 2 miles) sees Stradivarius commence his 2021 campaign as an odds on favourite.

The Gp3 Pavilion Stakes (for 3yos over 6 fur) also has an odds in favourite in Supremacy who won the Gp1 Middle Park Stakes & Gp2 Richmond Stakes as a 2yo.

The favourite in the Listed Paradise Stakes (1 mile) is Haqeeqy who overcame difficulties to win the Lincoln Handicap last month. I remember seeing another impressive winner of the Lincoln in 2018 when Addeybb defeated Lord Glitters. Both subsequently have become multiple Group One winners.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 3:14am
The Gp3 Sagaro Stakes was won  by Stradivarius (7h  Sea The Stars - Private Life, by Bering) defeating Ocean Wing & Nayef Road. He won by a length but often he just does enough to win.

The Gp3 Pavilion Stakes was won by Rohaan (3g  Mayson - Vive Les Rouges, by Acclamation)

The LR Paradise Stakes was won by Oh This Is Us (8h  Acclamation - Shamwari Lodge, by Hawk Wing)

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:53am
The first Group One of the season will be held tonight with the running of the Two Thousand Guineas at Newmarket. It looks like a tough race but I'm thinking of having a small wager at double figure odds on Lucky Vega who was a Gp1 winner as a 2yo & very unlucky behind today's favourite Thunder Moon in the Gp1 National Stakes last September.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 1:12am
I tend to think Thunder Moon is something very very special. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 2:55am
Thunder Moon was done and dusted in the paddock.

Jim Bolger, amazing trainer.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 3:06am
The Two Thousand Guineas was won by Poetic Flare (3c  Dawn Approach - Maria Lee, by Rock Of Gibraltar) in a close finish from Master Of The Seas & Lucky Vega.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 3:04am
The Gp1 One Thousand Guineas was won by Mother Earth (3f  Zoffany - Many Colours, by Green Desert). She defeated Saffron Beach & Fev Rover.

The Gp1 Prix Ganay was won by Mare Australis (4h  Australia - Miramare, by Rainbow Quest) defeating Gold Trip & Mogul.

And yes, Mare Australis is definitely a stallion!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:07am
I have been waiting for the reappearance of High Definition this season.

He has the following entries:-
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:28am
The Gp3 Chester Vase was won by Youth Spirit  (3c  Camelot - Rocana, by Fastnet Rock) with Sandhurst 2nd & Fancy Man 3rd.

The LR Cheshire Oaks was won by Dubai Fountain  (3f  Teofilo - Nafura, by Dubawi) with Zeyaadah 2nd & Nicest 3rd.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Grey Affair Grey Affair wrote:

The Gp1 Prix Ganay was won by Mare Australis (4h  Australia - Miramare, by Rainbow Quest) defeating Gold Trip & Mogul.

And yes, Mare Australis is definitely a stallion!

Miramare is a castle in Trieste located on the Adriatic Sea.... (right on the border of Italy and Croatia)

Mare in Italian is sea!!!!

So the naming and the enunciation of this word has got nothing to do with English equivalent of the spelling of the word....

Australis - I think just about everyone on TBV can work that out Wink

Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:19pm
Hello,
it was great surprise for me, to see "Mare Australis" by Australia is a Germanbred. He belongs to the direct damline of Monsun. He was bred by the Schlender Stud/von Ullmann family. During the last 
decade they started to train several horses by the top French Trainer Andre Fabre.

I remember his 4th dam well, because "Majoritat" was the top race filly, in the late 80's. if you compare her ped with "Monsun", she is a 3/4 relative. The common ancester is Monacensia (Kaiseradler).

regards, Ticino
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:19am
Hello,
the Germanbred mare Axana (Soldier Hollow-Achinora by Sleeping Indian) won the Chartwell Fillies Stakes (Gr. 3), 1400 meter at Lingfield (Great Britain)

regards, Ticino
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 2:36am
The Gp3 Derrinstown Derby Trial Stakes over 10 furlongs at Leopardstown was won very easily by Bolshoi Ballet (3c Galileo - Alta Anna, by Anabaa). This colt, trained by Aidan O'Brien, had also won the Ballysax Stakes last month. His victory tonight was the impressive Derby trial I have seen this year although it will be interesting to see the Dante Stakes on Thursday. High Definition is entered & a few other smart colts.

The Gp3 Irish 1,000 Guineas Trial (1 mile) was won by Joan Of Arc (3f Galileo - You'resothrilling, by Storm Cat).

The Gp3 Amethyst Stakes (1 mile) was won by Maker Of Kings (4g Zoffany - Desire Moi, by Galileo)

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:18am
The Gp3 Musidora Stakes over 10½ furlongs for 3yo fillies has been won by Snowfall (Deep Impact - Best In The World, by Galileo) who scored by 3¾ lengths from Noon Star with Teona ½ length further back in third place. As a result the Aidan O'Brien trained Snowfall has been installed as second favourite for the Oaks behind her stablemate Santa Barbara.

Snowfall's dam, Best In The World, is a Gp3 winning full-sister to the Arc heroine, Found. Their dam, Red Evie, was a top class miler with two Group Ones to her credit.

The Gp2 Duke Of York Stakes (6 fur) was won by Starman (4h Dutch Art - Northern Star, by Montjeu).

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:45am
The Gp2 Dante Stakes has been won by Hurricane Lane (3c Frankel - Gale Force, by Shirocco). 2nd was Megallan & 3rd was the slightly disappointing High Definition who finished solidly but without the same dash he showed as a 2yo. I still expect him to perform well in the Derby as will the winner who should have no troubles with the trip being out of a Shirocco mare.

The Gp2 Middleton Stakes was won by 8 lengths by Queen Power (5m Shamardal - Princess Serena, by Unbridled's Song).

King Power Racing had a very successful day as they also won the LR Westow Stakes with Winter Power (3f Bungle Inthejungle - Titian Saga, by Titus Livius).

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 4:26am
There has been some interesting staying races, both over 14 furlongs.

The Gp2 Yorkshire Cup was won by Spanish Mission (5h Noble Mission - Limonar, by Street Cry). He scored by 2¾ lengths from Santiago with Sir Ron Priestley 3rd.

The LR Saval Beg Levmoss Stakes was won by Emperor Of The Sun (4h Galileo - Zouzou, by Redoute's Choice). He won by 3½ lengths from Search For A Song with Twilight Payment 3rd. The winner is out of an Australian mare who also produced Zoustar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>