Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Equine (TB) Welfare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equine (TB) Welfare
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 1:07pm
A message from the Racing Victoria Chairman on Equine Welfare

Dear Trainers, Jockeys and Stable Employees,

I trust you are enjoying the Spring Racing Carnival. While much of the fanfare at this time centres on the action off the track, there’s no doubt that the equine heroes of our sport are the stars of the show.

Again this year we are dealing with anti-racing campaigners who are quite prepared to spread misinformation about the industry’s welfare efforts.

From the outset let me say that the welfare of our horses is paramount to us all and it is something that I am incredibly passionate about. I’ve been breeding and racing horses for close on 30 years and their care and attention is a priority for my family.

I currently have a large number of retired geldings on my property enjoying their retirement and playing a nurturing role with our young horses. Making sure that retiring racehorses have a good home is our collective responsibility and each owner and trainer has a role to play.

I know first-hand the love and care that people within this industry afford their racehorses and I am pleased with the efforts of so many in ensuring they enjoy their life before, during and after racing.

With the eyes of the world again on Victorian racing for the Spring Racing Carnival, I thought I’d provide an update on some of our latest initiatives and research around horse welfare.

The retirement of racehorses has been an issue for the industry and we have made some great advances over the past decade. Our philosophy is that there is a home for every healthy thoroughbred after racing and we are working with both the racing and equestrian industries to use every avenue to rehome ex-racehorses in Victoria.

A new rule making it compulsory to notify the retirement of each racehorse was introduced in mid-2014 and allowed us to capture information on horses leaving the industry. We are really pleased to see that over the past 12 months more than 90% of Victorian horses have been retired to the equestrian, pleasure and breeding industries. Our aim is to increase this percentage further.

Racing Victoria’s Off the Track program is an active voice in the racing and equestrian industries, promoting the versatility, athleticism and suitability of retired racehorses for a variety of disciplines and pursuits, whilst supporting 29 accredited re-trainers across the state that perform a valuable role in transitioning horses into second careers. Off the Track complements the work done by many great owners and trainers in responsibly rehoming their horses to a life after racing.

For the second year running there were 100 retired racehorses competing in equestrian events at the recent Royal Melbourne Show, with the prestigious Garryowen award won by a thoroughbred for a fourth consecutive year. Furthermore, with the Olympics less than 300 days away, there are up to six retired racehorses vying for spots on the team. Since its inception in 2012, our Off the Track program has sponsored more than 400 equestrian competitions and clinics in which over 11,000 retired racehorses have competed.

You’ll be interested to know that there has also been a 27% reduction in the number of thoroughbred foals born annually in Australia over the past decade. Over the same period, the number of individual starters has remained relatively constant, indicating that collectively we are utilising the horse population far better than ever before.

A recent study of the foals born in Victoria in 2005 by Dr Meredith Flash found that 74% of thoroughbreds bred for racing entered training in a racing stable. Of these, 93% progressed to racing or an official barrier trial. Of those that did not make it to racing the study found that some were retained in breeding, some died by natural causes or accident and others were rehomed directly to pleasure and equestrian pursuits. We have recently commissioned a similar study of the 2010 Victorian foal crop and will be interested to see how the two studies compare.

Victoria’s fatality rate over the past decade is amongst the lowest in world racing and we are committed to maintaining this. I can advise that last season we had 8,800 horses who started 43,000 times in flat races with 25 fatalities recorded - a safety record of 99.95%. Our jumps racing fatality rate has more than halved since a raft of safety enhancements were introduced in 2010 and this year there were two racing fatalities. We take safety very seriously, and we must all continue to work hard to ensure our racing is as safe as possible.

We were devastated to see two horses die in rare circumstances following the running of the 2014 Emirates Melbourne Cup, taking to four the number of equine fatalities in the past 20 years during or immediately after the running of our most famous race.

We have compulsory pre-race inspections by Racing Victoria veterinarians for all horses engaged in the Melbourne Cup to ensure their health and suitability to compete. This year we’ve also introduced a requirement that all international horses entering quarantine for the Spring Racing Carnival must undergo a veterinary inspection before travelling to Australia and again upon arrival. This is a further mechanism for ensuring that only horses fit to race are permitted to compete.

We retain a firm view that the whip is an essential communication tool for jockeys, particularly to ensure a safe racing environment, but the perception of its use does generate debate among the community.

We are strong advocates for new rules which further reduce the use of the whip and for harsher penalties for those that abuse these rules. These new rules come into effect on 1 December this year, however the Stewards will take a tougher stance on excessive and flagrant breaches of the whip rules this Spring Racing Carnival, particularly in feature races.

Just as the welfare of our people is always a constant focus, so too is the welfare of our horses. Everyone in the industry has a role to play. Whether you are an owner, trainer, jockey or work in the industry, I thank you for your support to date in this area, and challenge you to continue to consider what more we can all be doing.

I wish you the best of luck for the remainder of the Spring Racing Carnival.

Yours in racing,

David Moodie
Chairman
Racing Victoria

Edited by Gay3 - 04 Dec 2015 at 12:21pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 4:10pm
90% of how many David? 
What guarantee is there that retirements are notified? 
Why not chip em all like cats and dogs? Cheap as chips for a billion dollar industry.
Why are trainers permitted to use dangerous (pain maskers) and untested (cobalt for example) drugs on horses at all? 

Equine welfare. LOL.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 4:26pm
Horses are microchipped
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 4:48pm
So no excuses for not tracking them annually.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 12:22pm

Thoroughbred Breeders Australia (TBA) yesterday launched a national program to prioritise and promote the welfare of thoroughbreds. The landmark initiative will see the national peak body and all state breeding associations adopt a set of agreed guidelines, as well as the appointment of welfare officers in every state. The guidelines, which outline the fundamental principles for the care of thoroughbred breeding stock, are believed to be the first such protocols adopted by a national breeding body anywhere in the world. TBA president Basil Nolan said: "We already have a very high standard of care for our horses in the breeding industry, but I believe it is important for the TBA to highlight the message that welfare needs to be at the heart of what we do." He added: "We are fortunate that Australia has the second largest breeding industry in the world, but we always need to look to ways to protect our future and I believe this initiative assists in that aim." The guidelines state: •Horses should be provided with appropriate amounts of food and have access to quality drinking water.
•Handling should accommodate the horse's behaviour and should be done in a calm manner.
•Horses should not be forced into positions or situations that cause unnecessary pain, harm or injury and no horse should be abused.
•Horses should not be subjected to submissive techniques that injure or harm.
•Sick and injured horses should be given appropriate care and medical attention in a timely manner in keeping with best practice. Where necessary, veterinary advice should be sought.

The guidelines will be reinforced by the engagement of welfare officers in each state and a dedicated 1300 telephone number for people to contact if they have concerns regarding the welfare of a thoroughbred.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 12:36am
But no mention of OTTTBs , and where they go and what happens to them,  OTT,  and who takes responsibility for them ??    Hmmmm.  
So ?  Welfare ?  
Arnt all those points mentioned above pretty basic   ?  To horse people ?   I mean, anyone with  half a brain knows you gotta  do that stuff they say .  
Its just misting over the real issues.   IMHO , only.
animals before people.
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:04am
I suspect there are some real changes afoot behind the scenes on this front, long overdue but  changes nontheless.

A friend (not metro) was contacted by Stewards regarding a horse he had trained a few years earlier. 
He was asked if the horse was still in his care?
No
When did the horse leave his care?
Date provided (at least 4 years prior)
How did the horse leave, with whom and did he know where the horse's destination?
Information provided.

He then asked why was the information required as as far as he knew the horse in question was to be stood at stud by his owner  (who just quietly is a real piece of work )

He was told the horse had turned up at a sale (possibly Echuca but can't swear to that) and enquiries were being made as to how he had ended up there ...  I can only guess at why the Stipes were involved or what they could/would do if whoever caused this horse to end up at the sales was unlicenced but it is food for thought and a step in the right direction.

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:05am
For want of a more suitable thread, I know but sort of relevant & a lovely story Smile

Browse: Home / 2015 / December / 04 / Sir Prize Birthday, 35, dies; an iron horse

Sir Prize Birthday, 35, dies; an iron horse

By Susan Salk on December 4, 2015

Sir Prize Birthday, who turns 35 in May, is the oldest retired racehorse in the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation herd. He is pictured with inmate William Douglas. Photo by Jim Tremper

Sir Prize Birthday, who turned 35 in May, was the oldest retired racehorse in the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation herd. He is pictured with inmate William Douglas. Photo by Jim Tremper

Sir Prize Birthday, 35, the oldest retired racehorse in the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation’s (TRF) herd of 900 OTTBs, died this week following a brief and sudden illness.

The stakes-winning racehorse ran 206 times and earned north of $300,000 before retiring on Aug. 1, 1998 to the TRF’s Wallkill Correctional Facility in New York. As the alpha horse in the herd for 17 years, Birthday occupied a prominent position in the herd of Thoroughbreds participating in the flagship Second Chances program, which pairs inmates with racehorses in a mutually beneficial horsemanship program.

Known as a horse “not to be trifled with,” who could not be rushed, and had his own way of doing things, Birthday earned the love and respect of dozens of inmates through the years, including the men who struggled to save his life Dec. 2, said Jim Tremper, manager of the TRF’s Second Chances program.

Sir Prize Birthday
Sire: Singh
Dam: Prize Du Nord
Foal date: May 25, 1980
Earnings: $308,182 in 206 starts
“At one point we had six men trying to get him up” after the senior horse went down in his stall and failed to get up, said Tremper, who added that Birthday was treated by a veterinarian who administered drugs, including a steroid, to try to get the animal back on his feet. “We tried all kinds of things to try to save him. But finally, at 2:25 p.m., the vet euthanized him … he died of the infirmaries of old age.”

In his death, as with his life, Birthday will occupy a special spot at the Wallkill prison. He will be buried in a small cemetery in front of the main barn grounds, where the most special horses have been laid to rest, Tremper said.

“Why was he special? For so many reasons. Just for living as long as he did, and getting to age 35, is an achievement,” Tremper said. “But he was also a horse who had a major impact.”

Since he arrived at Wallkill, Birthday taught the toughest men that on his turf, things happen his way.

Sir Prize Birthday, 35, was the oldest among the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation’s herd of 900.

Sir Prize Birthday, 35, was the oldest among the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation’s herd of 900.

“He especially taught them patience, especially when he was younger,” Tremper said. “If you went into his stall too fast, or tried to do the work too quickly and get out, he didn’t do too well with that. He needed people to take their time with him. And they did.”

Over the years, Birthday worked with approximately 30 inmates, a select group who could get along with the fiery Thoroughbred who was once as bold as a prizefighter, Tremper said in an earlier interview.

Right up until the end, Birthday resided with most tenacious horses in the herd. And he showed many tough guys a new way of behaving, Tremper added.

“Sir Prize had a complete intolerance of aggression,” he said. “The best story I remember about Birthday is that we had a fellow who was in for manslaughter, and he had an extremely short fuse. I mean, he was ready to fly off the handle yelling at people and was just very aggressive and impatient.

Birthday taught inmates to be patient.

Birthday taught inmates to be patient.

“He started working with Birthday, and Birthday didn’t respond very well to that. The inmate didn’t get what he wanted from Birthday, and I told him he needed to take it easy and be calm, and that then the horse would work with him.

“And it changed his whole attitude. He started talking with people, which he never used to do, and his hand movements slowed down, his whole demeanor slowed down. Even though he was convicted of this terrible crime, he became a decent individual.”

Sir Prize Birthday was bred in Florida, a son of Singh-Vent Du Nord, by Prize Du Nord. In an interview two years ago, his former trainer, Tim Ritchey, described Sir Birthday as, “a hard-knocking horse. He was all class and earned every penny he made.”  Quick Call, and Steel Drum, now both age 31, are now the elder statesmen in the TRF herd.

Diana Pikulski, director of external affairs for the TRF, said the old Thoroughbred will never be forgotten.

“Birthday was a special horse and an iron horse,” she said. “Not many Thoroughbreds ran more than 200 times and hit the board an amazing 109 times. He retired sound and stayed basically sound until the end. We at the TRF were so lucky to have him. He helped countless people just by being himself. It was a sight to see how he managed his herd mates and then welcomed his caretakers into his heart.”

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Dec 2015 at 8:05am
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:29pm
I remember seeing a documentary-like thing on tv, not sure whether it was on sky or not, about an organization in the states who done similar to what liviing legends does here but with a lower level of horse, horses that had won a decent amount of prizemoney, black-type performers etc etc, horses would also work with schoolkids, groups visiting to ride horses etc etci don't know if similar exists down here but i'd love to see it, and would probably donate to it as long as i could be guaranteed the organization was legitimate.

It's all well and good to do what they do with Living Legends, but i would like to see something done for the next level down of horse, city winners, black-type performers and big $$$ earners that have ended up homeless somehow. 

The story on the show i saw was shocking, horse ended up at knackery, after looking it up, turned out he was a multiple listed and maybe grade winner, winning at least a few hundred thousand $$$.

Maybe i'm different then other people, but i admire horses of that level more then the absolute stars at Living Legends, they are more like grunts and soldiers then superstars.  Anyone who has a black-type winner and doesn't ensure their long-term fututre in retirement is a disgrace, to use a horse to give you such a fantastic life experience, and not ensure their retirement, disgraceful.

I don't know how organizations like Godolphin deal with geldings that have won them a quid and black type races, but i hope they are held to a high standard and made to ensure that horses ends up in a good home, they can afford it.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:35pm
The trouble is that the vast majority go to 'great' homes but unfortunately ppls' circumstances change for the worse & that could be after changing hands several times.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:41pm
I understand poeple's financial circumstances can change, also their health can change not allowing them to care the best for horses, but it's one of the things i feel more strongly about then other people, i think of it as worse then then treating humans badly, horses can' advocate or fight for themself, to win people money and give them enjoyment, do not ensure their future i just can't handle it, it's sick.  I wish i knew what the bigger owners do with their geldings post-race career, Godolphin and the like, they should be held to a way higher standard then some small time owner living in the country.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:42pm
Do Godolphin Australia have a twitter?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:05pm
https://twitter.com/DarleyStallions
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:09pm
Thanks, i might create an account and ask them about their policy WRT what we've been discussing lately.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:47pm
Ex harness stablehand who switched to riding work many years ago at Ballarat Angry

Stablehand faces welfare charges

Registered stable employee Andrew Henderson faces up to 14 charges for failing to provide proper and sufficient nutrition and/or proper veterinary treatment for seven thoroughbreds.

On Friday, Racing Victoria stewards issued 14 charges against Henderson, including seven in the alternative, under Australian Rules of Racing AR 231(1)(b)(iv) and AR 231(1)(b)(iii).

AR 231(1)(b)(iv) provides that a person must not, if that person is in charge of a horse, fail at any time to provide proper and sufficient nutrition for that horse.

AR 231 (1)(b)(iii) provides that a person must not, if that person is in charge of a horse, fail at any time to provide veterinary treatment to that horse where such treatment is necessary for the horse.

The stewards allege that up to and including March 12 this year, Henderson failed to provide the horses Chantilly Milly, Despict, Gamelist, La Tinkwha, Of The Field, Seductive Girl and Tomi's Girl with proper and sufficient nutrition.

In the alternative, stewards allege that Henderson failed to provide those horses with veterinary treatment where such veterinary treatment was necessary.

The charges issued against Henderson will be heard before the Victorian Racing Tribunal on a date to be fixed.

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:54pm
Sounds like the same charges a former trainer of mine got charged with. I hope the stewards handle the situation a lot better than what was served out to me & my horses
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:13am
Ok, the bushfires have ravaged our rural comrades, kicked them fair in the guts, so, all this money that is taken from the prize money across quite a few states, where exactly does it go? is it all accounted for? is there a 'pot' for emergencies per se?

Albury trainer Mitchell Beer called for financial assistance the other day as he was running hay and feed up to devastated communities in the Vic high country and surrounds, we sent a few bob, but we are mere minnows, surely RVL will assist? I don't mean exclusive to thoroughbreds either, all horses, large and small.....

We, Mrs and I, would like to know where the money, all of it, goes, who pays it out? and who decides what goes where....for transparency, I know RNSW have a strategic plan, but let us in the industry and the public in general know where all that dosh has gone and is going.....please.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:58am

RV pledges support for fire-affected communities

The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry has pledged its support to those currently affected by the Australian bushfires, both within the racing industry and amongst the wider community.

Racing Victoria has declared it is committed to the welfare of horses impacted by the fires, not only thoroughbreds, and will help where it can in the immediate future and also in the weeks and months ahead.

A statement from Racing Victoria Chariman, Brian Kruger, confirmed RV was working with Country Racing Victoria and a number of industry bodies including country clubs on the frontline of the fires, to help those affected.

“We are also working with our racing participants, including raceday staff, trainers, jockeys, breeders and equine aftercare providers, to ensure they have the support they need.

“We will continue to assist where possible, this will include continuing to work with the race clubs and communities affected, as well as providing assistance to horses in the form of feed, veterinary assistance, or transport into safe areas if required.

We are all here to help and will continue to be available for as long as needed, for clubs, all horses (not just thoroughbreds) and people affected by the fires.

“Currently relief centres have been established at Bairnsdale,Wangaratta and Wodonga. RV will maintain constant contact with these centres to ensure appropriate assistance is provided where required.

“We are constantly reviewing, amending and rescheduling race meetings in areas affected by heat and/or smoke. When this happens, we will provide relief and compensation to participants affected as per RV’s compensation policy. Race clubs impacted via abandoned meetings will also receive compensation.”

Racing Victoria has also urged anyone in the racing, breeding or equine aftercare industries, needing support as a result of the bushfire crisis, to contact the following services.

STABLELINE – Free confidential counselling for all RV licensed persons and immediate family members, 24/7 psychological support. Visit stableline.com.au or call 1300 520 122

Assure Services – Free confidential counselling for all RV employees and immediate family members. Call 1800 808 374

Caring for affected horses

A specific ‘management of horses affected by bushfires’ fact sheet has been created. This contains advice on making an initial assessment, as well as suggestions on feed and water and treatment for common aliments horses can experience in fires and associated conditions. A copy of the fact sheet is available at racingvictoria.com.au 

If you are available to take horses in or can offer space on your property, please email equinewelfare@racingvictoria.net.au

For anyone needing assistance related to horse welfare, please call 03 9258 4229 or email equinewelfare@racingvictoria.net.au 

How you can help?

The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry is working on a number of initiatives, equine welfare support, fundraising activities and practical support for people and participants affected by the bushfires. 

We have been advised that monetary donations are most useful, and below are a number of organisations who are supporting the bushfire crisis. The Victorian Thoroughbred Racing Industry, including RV, the metropolitan clubs and CRV, will make a donation to the Bendigo Bank Community Fund. 

Community Enterprise Foundation (Bendigo Bank): communityenterprisefoundation.com.au/make-a-donation/bushfire-disaster-appeal/

Country Fire Authority: here

Salvation Army: salvationarmy.org.au

Australian Red Cross: redcross.org.au

This support will continue as required, for as long as it is needed across the various communities affected.

For additional support and assistance, the following associations are available:

For jockeys, please contact the Victorian Jockeys Association (VJA): Matthew Hyland, Executive Officer, E: Matthew.hyland@vja.net.au, M: 0408 753 951

For breeders, please contact the Thoroughbred Breeders Victoria (TBA): Charmein Bukovec, Executive Officer, E: tbv@racingvictoria.net.au, M: 0459 510 506

For trainers, please contact the Australian Trainers' Association (ATA): Andrew Nicholl, Chief Executive Officer, E: andrew@austrainers.com.au, M: 0408 138 014 or T: 03 9372 1688

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:30am
I read yesterday the racing NSW are offering assistance to those impacted by fire, including feed and some type of monetary assistance. 
I would have contributed to that fund Bonjour,,,,do you have a link please  ??
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:01pm
Was thinking what Bonjour said about being Minnows. 
When Whale said, in another thread, he had donated $10, I had a dig at him, which I am sure is exactly what he expected, but in all honesty, if everyone donated $10, think how much there would be !!!
animals before people.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:04am
Thanks for posting that Gay, good to know, and it would be a relief of sorts for the many that need urgent assistance.

I do hope though that RVL do release details of where the money has gone, distributed to, from the Raceday stakes take outs, as I can't find anywhere or from anyone the actual distribution details, and that is extremely worrying. Does it go to fund living legends, people involved in the 'saving' of horses from the knackers at Echuca, horse refuge farms........just let me/us know please RVL.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:32pm
Frustratingly there are no dates mentioned anywhere on the page bar the 2005 foal crop Confused

1. There are more than 70,000 people - owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff - who actively participate in thoroughbred racing in Victoria. Each has a passion for horses and many have spent a lifetime caring for them.

2. Thoroughbred racehorses are elite athletes who receive elite care with an average of $35,000 spent on the training, care and welfare of each racehorse annually according to the ATA.

3. With close to 10,000 racehorses competing in Victoria annually, over $350 million is spent each year in this state alone by owners on the training, care and welfare of the racehorse population.

4. Each year more and more everyday Victorians are enjoying owning a thoroughbred racehorse with family and friends. In fact the number of owners has grown by around 80% since 2006. With many taking just small shares in racehorses, it is the experience; enjoyment and passion for horses that are the greatest attraction.

5. Training racehorses is a challenge. Only those with a love of the animal are committed to year round 3am starts and long hours as they pursue their passion to work with horses.

6. Fewer foals are being born each year, but a greater percentage of them are making it to the racetrack with the care and attention being afforded throughout their formative years by owners, breeders and trainers. Over the past 10 years, the number of foals born nationally has dropped by more than 23.5% to 13,675, whilst the number of horses competing has remained relatively constant.

7. A recent study of foals born in Victoria in 2005 by Dr Meredith Flash found that 74% of them entered training. Of these, 93% progressed to racing or an official trial. Of those that did not make it to racing some were retained in breeding, some died by natural causes or accident and others were rehomed directly to pleasure and equestrian pursuits. Identical research projects have been commissioned for the 2010 and 2015 foal crops. Preliminary results from 2010 born foals are consistent with the 2005 born foals.

8. The research showed that while 35% of horses started training as 2YO’s, only 13% of 2005 and 2010 born foals actually raced. Our trainers are exercising their judgement of the readiness of each horse before entering it in a race.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:46pm

Independent inquiry into the management of retired racehorses

The Queensland Government conducted an independent inquiry into the management of retired racehorses, including the regulatory and oversight arrangements for abattoirs and knackeries and the transport of horses to those facilities.

The inquiry followed the ABC's October 2019 7.30 story about the ‘wastage’ of retired racehorses, and raised issues about the treatment of horses at a Queensland abattoir.

Retired District Court Judge Terry Martin SC led the inquiry with the support of equine veterinary surgeon Dr Peter Reid. Both Mr Martin and Dr Reid have extensive experience in their respective fields and brought a wealth of knowledge and experience to the inquiry.

The inquiry has released its final report. Mr Martin and Dr Reid would like to thank all stakeholders for their submissions to the inquiry. For more information on the inquiry, see their Terms of reference (PDF, 538.5KB).

Queensland Government’s response to the independent inquiry

The Queensland Government has released its response to the independent inquiry.

The Queensland Government fully supported, supported in-part or supported in-principle all 55 recommendations by the inquiry.

The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission, and Racing Queensland will work collaboratively to implement the Government response recommendations.

The Government will strengthen the oversight and regulatory arrangements for abattoirs and knackeries and the transport of horses to those facilities. It will also promote good welfare outcomes for retired racing horses, and help protect jobs in the Queensland racing industry.

An investigation of the specific animal welfare issues alleged in the ABC's 7.30 story is ongoing.

Last updated: 10 Feb 2020

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/biosecurity/animal-biosecurity-welfare/welfare-ethics/management-of-retired-racehorses?fbclid=IwAR2REpo6Qj8LNPBD_9dTKJuHRVQjBQRZwWoOr2YDwr7CVsu3ppDe8RxglPY
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:18pm

Racing NSW Announce End of Life Welfare Program

Media Release - Friday September 11

In a further extension of Racing NSWs existing equine welfare programs it was today announced that Racing NSW has established an End of Life Welfare Program to ensure that every NSW Thoroughbred horse has access to a free humane euthanasia service throughout its life in circumstances where a vet has certified that it is in the horses best interest and necessary on welfare or safety grounds.

Racing NSW Chairman Russell Balding AO, in announcing the initiative, emphasised that: This End Of Life Welfare Program reiterates Racing NSWs position that under no circumstances should a NSW Thoroughbred horse ever be sent to an abattoir or knackery.

Mr Balding AO also added: The vast majority of Thoroughbred owners both within and outside the racing industry ensure that their horses have the best possible welfare during and at the end of their lives. However, there is a cost involved in euthanising a horse which may have been a deterrent for owners to act in the best interests of the horses welfare. Accordingly, the End of Life Welfare Program removes the cost associated with euthanising a NSW Thoroughbred horse, further protecting the welfare of the horse right up until the end of its life.

Euthanasia under the End of Life Welfare Program is only permitted where a Racing NSW licensed veterinarian has certified that it is necessary on genuine welfare or safety reasons in the best interests of the horse.

As part of this free service to the owners of the horse, Racing NSW will also appropriately attend to the burial or cremation of the horse.

This End of Life Welfare Program applies to all Thoroughbred horses that have been predominately domiciled in NSW irrespective of age or when they retired from racing.

Importantly, this captures horses after they have exited the racing industry who are in the ownership of members of the public as equestrian horses, paddock mates or trail riders for example.

Racing NSW has maintained an industry leading position on equine welfare via a number of groundbreaking and wide-ranging initiatives that have been continuously developing over a number of years.

This End of Life Welfare Program is a further extension of these existing initiatives to ensure the welfare of NSW Thoroughbred horses through to the end of their lives.

A summary of Racing NSW Equine Welfare Program is set out below:

Racing NSWs Equine Welfare Program is based on the principles that all Thoroughbred horses should be treated equally irrespective of success or ability, all should find a suitable new home following their racing careers and that under no circumstances should any be sent to an abattoir or knackery;

Establishment of a direct retraining and rehoming program (employing 25 staff across 5 properties) for retired NSW Thoroughbreds since 2012, being the first state to introduce such a program;

Commencing in 2016, a deduction of 1% of all prizemoney paid, totaling $2.6 million per year, to fund operational expenses of the welfare program, with Racing NSW being the first State to introduce such a fund;

Introduction of Local Rule of Racing 114 in 2017 making it an offence to send a NSW Thoroughbred to an abattoir or knackery, with Racing NSW being the first and only State to introduce such a rule;

Expenditure of more than $26 million (in addition to the 1% of prizemoney) on purchasing and developing properties for use in the care, retraining and rehoming of retired NSW Thoroughbred horses.

Appointment of 2 full time Equine Welfare Veterinarians who, along with the Racing NSW Stewards, conduct audits and inspections of retired NSW Thoroughbreds right across the state to ensure that they are being appropriately cared for in their new homes;

Introduction of an Excluded Persons List for any person, irrespective of their connection to the Thoroughbred Racing Industry, who Racing NSW consider unsuitable to be responsible for the aftercare of Thoroughbred horses. No NSW Racing Industry Participant can transfer, sell or gift a Thoroughbred to any person listed on the Excluded Persons List;

Direct intervention by taking in, seizing and purchasing over 200 NSW Thoroughbred horses whose welfare is at risk, including purchasing such horses at interstate auctions who are identified as being at risk of ending up at an abattoir or knackery.

Providing support by way of feed and veterinary care for Thoroughbreds where required due to financial hardship or difficulties associated with natural events such as drought, flooding or bushfires; and

Joint ventures with a number of organisations such as BackTrack (program for at risk Indigenous youths), RSL LifeCare and Corrective Services NSW to provide equine therapy to persons in those programs while retraining retired thoroughbreds

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:33pm
A very positive move in the right direction, impressed that they are getting on board with their ongoing responsibilities to the horses who provide their wage. Now to do more on helping them straight off the track, re education and suitable re homing Star
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:45pm
The prison farm at Muswellbrook have a program working with OTTTBs.  
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm
Yes, Ive been there. Unless theyve thrown a lot more money at it in the last few years, its not very impressive.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:23pm
Done  a fair bit of work with fences, sheds etc.   They hold the Heavy Horse Field Days there each May, and seemed to be looking much better last time we were there.  
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:55pm
page1image3640147328 page1image3640147536 page1image3640025344 page1image3640025552 page1image3640025760page1image3640020304 page1image3640020496 page1image3640020800 page1image3640030496 page1image3640030800 page1image3640035728 page1image3640036320 page1image3639999840 page1image3640000048page1image3640000256 page1image3640000544 page1image3640176976 page1image3640177184

On Tuesday 6 April 2021 Stewards concluded an inquiry into the circumstances leading up to the euthanasia of the race horse Tolstoy, a ten year old Bay gelding trained by Licensed Trainer Ms Jaclyn Stoetzer on 24 January 2021.

Stewards heard evidence from Ms Jaclyn Stoetzer, Racing SA Equine Welfare Officer Mr John Cornell, Racing SA Veterinary Surgeon Dr Peter Horridge, Vets on Eyre Veterinary Clinic veterinarian Dr Madeline Wright, co-owner of Tolstoy, and licensed trainer, Mr Ryan Dawson, and Trainer Ms April Cornell. Stewards also considered a written report submitted by Dr Madeline Wright in respect of Tolstoy.

After considering the evidence Stewards laid the following charges against Ms Jaclyn Stoetzer:

Under AR52(1)(a)  the particulars being that as a licensed trainer and the trainer of the horse Tolstoy she failed to comply with the provisions of this rule to notify Racing Australia within 24 hours of the horse being euthanased by lodging the relevant death notification form prescribed.

Ms Stoetzer pleaded guilty to the charge.

Under AR231(1)(b)(ii)  the particulars being that as a licensed trainer, and the person in charge of the race horse Tolstoy she failed to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to alleviate any pain suffered by Tolstoy, those reasonable steps being either;

(a) To engage a farrier to attend to the horses feet, and/or

(b) To engage veterinary advice in respect of appropriate pain relief treatment for the horse;

in the period leading up to 24/1/2021 the day on which the horse became recumbent and moribund and being subsequently euthanased.

Ms Stoetzer pleaded not guilty to the charge but was found guilty of the charge by Stewards.

Under AR231(1)(b)(iii)  the particulars being that as a licensed trainer, and the person in charge of the race horse Tolstoy she failed to provide veterinary treatment to the horse where such veterinary treatment was necessary for the horse; by her failure to engage a veterinary surgeon to examine and provide treatment to the horse in the period leading up to 24/1/2021 the day on which the horse became recumbent and moribund and being subsequently euthanased.

Ms Stoetzer pleaded not guilty to the charge but was found guilty of the charge by Stewards.

page1image3640453856 page1image3640454064 page1image3640454352 page1image3640454656 page1image3640454944 page1image3640036032
page2image3639376512 page2image3639377840

Stewards, after considering Ms Stoetzers personal circumstances, her good record, the seriousness of the breaches in respect of Charges 2 and 3 in particular, and individual and general deterrence, determined and imposed the following penalties;

Charge 1  A fine of $500 of which $250 is wholly suspended for a period of 12 months provided Ms Stoetzer is not found guilty of a breach of that rule in that period.

Charge 2  A disqualification for a period of six (6) months.

Charge 3  A disqualification for a period of six (6) months.

Stewards ordered both penalties under charges 2 and 3 to be served concurrently. In determining penalty Stewards considered imposing a period of disqualification of nine (9) months having regard for the seriousness of the breaches and the importance of the care and welfare of thoroughbred horses in the industry, however, having regard for mitigating factors, including Ms Stoetzers personal circumstances, reduced the periods of disqualification to six (6) months. Stewards ordered the period of disqualification to commence at midnight on 13 April 2021 and to expire on 13 October 2021, after which she may re-apply for her license.

Ms Stoetzer was advised of her right of appeal.

page2image3639512688 page2image3639512992 page2image3639513296 page2image3639513584
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
The subject of welfare came up on the 'broodmares killed' with some great posts that members would do well to copy/paste here in case Confused those in power happen on this one.
Following social media, many in all States are doing what they can but still truckloads of TBs are going thru' Meramist weekly in fact Deirdre Stein & Laura Cheshire  saved a 4yo from a dogger (priced upped by $300 of course) only yesterday. Saleyards are still open in Q/land & NSW.
Perusing the various racing authorities sites, I cannot for the life of me find any info on where this '3% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distribution" specifically goes. (Vic)
If I can't find it, what hope the general, caring public & owners?
Yes, I know retraining is well advertised everywhere but who pays for it? The owners of the lucky ones!
The very least that can be offered is free euthanasia & body disposal at home. I fully recognise not all horses can be suitably rehomed nor that caring owners want to risk losing track of them to the multitude of unscrupulous ones.
Tho' now unliscensed I finally managed with a lot of digging, to notify RV of the whereabouts of my oldies; it's in fine print up the top but under Welfare:

ParticipantObligationsIndustry Participant (e.g. owner, breeder, trainer, rider, stable staff)Retirement update: If you are an industry participant responsible for the care of a horse that wont be registered to race or has been retired from racing or breeding, you must notify Racing Australian within 7 days if your horse: is transferred to another person changes location (exemptions may apply where your horse is receiving veterinary care (30 days) or attending a public auction (7 days)) retires from its current career (e.g. equestrian) dies.

Bad luck if you're no longer a reg. participant, so..............you then need to go to myhorseracing, join & finally get to let them know.

Still absolutely no way of tracking them even if you do have time to contact the new owner on a weekly basis, not forgetting many move them on & lie thru' their back teeth.
No wonder these industry based 'activists' like the above pair feel they're bashing heads aginst a brick wall Angry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>