Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Domestic violence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:30pm
Funny the way socirty is being told there has to be "zero tolerance" to domestic violence", but you aren't allowed to tell that to the victims, who seem always to be able to find a reason not to accept it ! I was dismayed by the changes to supporting mother's benefit entitlements, which has worked against these women, and all the useless pr!cks in Canberra do is wheel out dopey campaigns telling men not to bash their women, which is completely useless.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Oh dear, do I hear someone saying it is wrong to condemn the whole on the actions of a few?

Blooody hell LOL

what if it was a Muslim wife-basher?  double condemnation...

Ouch
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:36pm
the thing is there might be 1 in 50 men who are agro towards their spouse, I don't know what the figures are and it's not easy to know either, but there is surely an alarming majority of us men who are not, and yet these campaigns cost tax payers millions and millions of dollars to run, this one now is estimated to cost taxpayers $91 million, why is domestic violence any more prolific now than it was ten or twenty years ago, I would have thought it was much less as modern men are much more feminine than men of 20 years ago...it's not to be tolerated of course we all know that but what is driving this current wave and why...??

Panspermia.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

the thing is there might be 1 in 50 men who are agro towards their spouse, I don't know what the figures are and it's not easy to know either, but there is surely an alarming majority of us men who are not, and yet these campaigns cost tax payers millions and millions of dollars to run, this one now is estimated to cost taxpayers $91 million, why is domestic violence any more prolific now than it was ten or twenty years ago, I would have thought it was much less as modern men are much more feminine than men of 20 years ago...it's not to be tolerated of course we all know that but what is driving this current wave and why...??

drugs...

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:40pm
We need more hipsters.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

drugs...

hmmmm that doesn't do it for me, alcohol is always the best at motivating violence, most men are not taking drugs, and those that are usually turning reclusive and sheepish, it's a misconception that drugs drive people to violence..

Panspermia.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:46pm

What odds most abused women were brought up in a home where they saw it enacted. A template gets set for what is "normal", and many cannot re-calibrate it.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:54pm
My old man was very abusive when I was young, he would get roaring drunk after work with clients and then drive home pissed out of his mind from Alexandria to Bankstown, come flying in the drive way like an idiot screeching the tyres etc.. then walk in the door announcing himself...mum always used to say to me, you're dads home and he's been drinking, quickly go to your room and behave and don't let him see you...it never worked, he would wake me up for a pounding round the head and body if I was asleep, was best to stay awake I learned as that way I could cover myself better, he never touched mum, or my sister, but flogged me relentlessly all those years, it only came to end when he collapsed one night and was taken to hospital by ambulance and was told if he drinks again he will die, so he stopped drinking and the beatings stopped, but he found a new way to abuse later on...verbally...

I made a point it would stop with him, so far it has..

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:03pm

How do you feel about your mother exposing you to that, fiddles, it is not flattering to her the way you tell it.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

What odds most abused women were brought up in a home where they saw it enacted. A template gets set for what is "normal", and many cannot re-calibrate it.

my mother wasn't brought up in an abusive home...and was abused, simply because she picked the wrong person...

I was brought up in an abusive atmosphere and would never tolerate it...nor would any of my siblings...

your theory is sh*t, Max...it is just some women are deceived by these morons until the ring is on the finger and the moron gets control...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:16pm
Haha...You spoke of "many rejects".....were any of them physically abusive ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:16pm
Drugs are great

Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:17pm
i don't understand your point max..
if there is something in what you say..ie do stats suggest victims
are often from homes were abuse occured or had low self esteem..
that would make the abuser even more dispicable + victim more
in need of help..

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:21pm
The victims were better placed than ever to escape such situiations, until the govt wound back entitlements fairly recently, and instead waste money on a useless campaign. Window dressing that covers an unpretty picture of women now staying becasue the financial situation makes it very difficult, especialli in an era where housing is inaffordable for many people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:23pm
I even saw somwe stupid American women say she kept coming back because he was "so good looking", does anyone care what fate befalls her ? I don't !
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:27pm
You've said previously that you've never been married Max. We can clearly see why in this thread.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:27pm

How do you feel about your mother exposing you to that, fiddles, it is not flattering to her the way you tell it.

she was between a rock and hard place I think, dunno I've never brought it up with her, it's hard to drag those old memories up when I visit, she just always says your father was a strange man, but he had some serious control over her, she fawned over him daily...to this day she's never worked a single day in her life, all she did was cook n clean fastidiously everyday for him...so when I left I home it was awesome i was finally out...15 years old and living in the local church and going to school...working a milk run for money..interestingly the day I left was because he smashed my guitar over my head, he just lost his mind one day and went ape gelati on my head with my one and only possession my guitar...I left that day, mum crying and sister peeking out from her room door..blood down my face, never went back to live to this day..

I told my mum recently that a while later after leaving home I finally found accommodation in a caravan park but my wages barely paid the rent so I ate oatmeal and fresh fish fillets from my mates dad who was a fisherman, he had a trawler I'd go out with them and get free fish for food...i lived on oatmeal n fish for ages...rode a pushy everywhere, good times..

Panspermia.
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:32pm
whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger..
once your past it ofc.

i don't mind that phrase.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger..
once your past it ofc.

i don't mind that phrase.

it certainly plays a role in shaping your outlook on life that's for sure..

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm
That's a tough adolescence, fiddles, your old man was a pr*ck, but again, I'd bet his old man gave him a hard time as well.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:39pm

she probably did the best she could under the circumstances...

try being a woman in that position, Max, before you make judgements...

Angry
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:40pm

no...just too dumb...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:42pm

she probably did the best she could under the circumstances...

try being a woman in that position, Max, before you make judgements...

Angry
In fiddles time, she could have got out under the welfare provisions available. From memory, it pre-dated Whitlam govt, but was certainly available in the 70's. Today it is stripped-down, and the cost of housing is far more daunting.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:45pm

no...just too dumb...

Too dumb, huh. At least you did not take 14 years to "wake up", like a woman I know, who described her ex as "seriously stupid". I could not help myself, I just had to enquire what that said about her, that it took her all those years to see the light. No reply !  Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:46pm
None of that excuses the behavior of a dog who belts their defenseless partner. If she/he is more vulnerable because of past experience it just makes the perpetrator a predator as well. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:51pm
There is no excuse for "violence against the person ",  anywhere.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:56pm

That's a tough adolescence, fiddles, your old man was a pr*ck, but again, I'd bet his old man gave him a hard time as well.

Actually no he didn't, my grandad was a small timid weak man, he was small man with huge dark rimmed glasses, who spent most days talking to the flipping budgie in the cage.. Confused he never worked that I'm aware of, he never raised a hand to anyone, was my grandmother on dads side who was the strong one there, she worked in the wheatsheaf pub across from her house from the age of 18 till she was 79...wore a huge white beehive hairstyle everyday of her life, drank a bottle of whiskey a day and smoked two packs of capstans and lived to be 92..crazy stuff, I don't know where the old man got his hate from, no one does in the family, although he hated his life in England and hated his family and mother, didn't even go home to to her funeral..as my mum said he was a strange man.

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:01pm
Was your old man in the military at any stage ? That has been a good training ground for brutality that many bring home with them.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:18pm
Are wife beaters shameless or do their parents, relatives and friends condone their behaviour? I'd be as popular as dog gelati if my parents, relatives and friends knew I was one- persona non grata.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:26pm
Tlaz, shameless grubs frequently come from families that "close ranks" around them, you must have seen it a hundred times, where they form a cordon around accused persons outside courts. Pushing and shoving TV cameras, and worse. Birds of a feather.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>