Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dom Perrottet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 4:14pm
It was either that or China posted in here.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:50am
What's going on here then?

Chris Minns
@ChrisMinnsMP

#BREAKING The NSW Auditor General has confirmed that Dominic Perrottet has been cooking the NSW books. Hiding a $14.6bn black hole! #nswpol #auspol
Time is a flat circle
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:58am
Not fussed about Dom since day 1. Comes across as a real number cruncher whizz kid trying to come out of his shell as a good, caring bloke.

Remember the old saying - never trust a small bloke , a religious nut or an accountant. LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:40am
Perrottet about to front media regarding today's COVID number surge. Might get a question or two on other issues.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 4:38pm
 'Let her rip' Perrottet is destined to be found wanting very early on.

Too willing to give anything a go.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Perrottet about to front media regarding today's COVID number surge. Might get a question or two on other issues.

PT , you must be kidding presuming Perrottet has any issues. NSW has had 87,248 positive covids with 640 deaths, whilst down in Victoria Dictator Dan has overseen 138,000 positives and 1,424 deaths, with 16,682 positives since the beginning of December. NSW has around 33% of Australia's population whilst Victoria has 25%. and you think Perrott has issues.Ermm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:53pm
Bob you need to keep up: PT is referring to the hiding of a huge State identified earlier by the Opposition and, wait for it, your mates at The Australian.  Not that it seems to have gained huge traction of late: 
$1 trillion debt bomb buried in NSW budget papers
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:58pm
Oh Bobbie that’s hopelessly misguided even for you.
Tell us, us the actual death tolls for the respective states since DoPe took over from Gladys.

Ignoring of course PT’s comment about other issues DoPe might be mismanaging 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:13pm
Rusty, I have no idea of the date when the Premiers in NSW changed, so how on earth would I know the number of deaths of Covid in NSW since that takeover. What ever they might be, Dictator Dan would play the number of those deaths on a break.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
Just on a side note, is it only since social media (or maybe even Trump tweets) that people HAVE to invent some insulting nickname for every politician they don't like? I noticed it took a while for people to come up with one for Dom P, but now Rusty's introduced DoPe.
Genuine question - I just don't remember it ever being a thing with back when I was younger.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:49pm
 Bodgie Bob, Pig Iron Bob come to mind.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:59pm
A couple more.
Ju-liar, Mr Harbourside Mansion, Rudd the Dudd, The Lizard of Oz.

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:00pm
About who, Bob?
I think the first I remember is Krudd. There was just stuff like Hawkey and Little Johnny before that. Can't even remember Kennett having one. Seems like a social media age thing.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:01pm
Sorry you beat me to it. Yeah I remember Ju-liar too, but not the others.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:05pm
Just read the wiki link. Seems to support my idea. I do remember hearing those names for Billy Hughes, and the Milky Bar Kid for Rudd. I like "The Mortician" for Keating.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Rusty, I have no idea of the date when the Premiers in NSW changed, so how on earth would I know the number of deaths of Covid in NSW since that takeover. What ever they might be, Dictator Dan would play the number of those deaths on a break.
Then why would you quote any numbers, if you have no understanding of any relevant comparisons?
Again, totally ignoring 2 posters suggesting that his issues were other than COVID.

As a total aside, what would you think if Dan set up a corporation for the sole purpose of hiding Billions of dollars of deficits?
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:21pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Then why would you quote any numbers, if you have no understanding of any relevant comparisons?
Again, totally ignoring 2 posters suggesting that his issues were other than COVID.

As a total aside, what would you think if Dan set up a corporation for the sole purpose of hiding Billions of dollars of deficits?

Comparing Covid cases and deaths between NSW & Victoria ARE relevant comparisons. I would not put anything beyond Dictator Dan to retain his premiership.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:17pm
Read it slower big guy.

It beyond stoopid to compare the new guy, with Dan the magnificent, using data that includes 95% of the Gladys era.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 7:49am
Dont worry Bobby, Omicron is here, cases in Victoria will follow NSW up to thousands of cases a day and pretty soon.

Dan will have to decide whether to put restrictions back in place or take the risk that Omicron is not as deadly as Delta(not that that makes a lot of difference to toll) so it is win/win for you. You can whinge whatever he does. Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:12am
 Anna B-lie.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Read it slower big guy.

It beyond stoopid to compare the new guy, with Dan the magnificent, using data that includes 95% of the Gladys era.

I am only 54 kg and 5ft 2 inches tall. Big guy ??
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 10:18am
At least he got stoopid right.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:41pm

The Right stuff: why shellshocked NSW Liberal moderates are fearing factional fights

Tim James’s preselection in Gladys Berejiklian’s former NSW seat shows the growing influence of the hard right in the state

Last week, a prominent member of the Liberals’ right faction, Tim James, snared the safe New South Wales state seat of Willoughby replacing the former Liberal premier Gladys Berejiklian, a leading moderate, in the lower north shore Sydney seat.

No one saw it coming. The lower north shore is a moderate stronghold within the party and the popular former Willoughby council mayor Gail Giles-Gidney, a moderate with a high local profile, was seen as the frontrunner.

Giles-Gidney had the endorsement of the people who count in those parts: Berejiklian and the moderate powerbroker Trent Zimmerman, the federal MP for North Sydney.

But by the end of a three-hour preselection meeting attended by more than 100 members of the local branch and state executive, moderates were left shellshocked.

The new “Warringah rules” for choosing the candidate via a plebiscite of local members, with a 25% voting component from the state executive, had delivered an unexpected result.

James, an acolyte of the former prime minister Tony Abbott with a record of pushing development of gas and opposing higher carbon emissions reduction targets, was on his way to becoming the member for Willoughby.

Just a suburban soap opera? Or a sign of something deeper happening in the NSW Liberal party?

Peace and prosperity

In other states, notably Western Australia and South Australia, there has been an influx into the party of conservative members recruited from Pentecostal churches and other religious groups. It has fundamentally changed the Liberal party in WA and caused tensions in SA. In Queensland there were similar concerns in 2020 about the growing influence of climate-denying Christian conservatives.

In Victoria, there have been highly publicised reports of organised attempts at branch stacking by the conservative right, including recruitment drives run out of MPs’ offices.

But in NSW, at least on the surface, there appeared to be peace within the warring factions, of which there are three: the moderates, the hard right and the smaller centre right. The hard right is dominated by conservative Catholics with the premier, Dominic Perrottet, its poster boy.

The centre right, controlled by the federal immigration minister, Alex Hawke, is more closely aligned with Pentecostal and Protestant churches and boasts Scott Morrison as its high-profile member.

The moderates are led by the NSW treasurer, Matt Kean, and Zimmerman.

The animus between the factions a decade ago, when John Brogden was the state opposition leader, is legendary: brawls in local branches, fierce branch stacking and chronic destabilisation of the parliamentary leader. During this time the right also split, mainly on sectarian lines.

But after a decade in the wilderness a desperate Barry O’Farrell convinced the factions they should declare a detente in the interests of winning government.

The peace was cemented under Berejiklian. Hard-right leaders like Perrottet, who has been a central player in the factions since he was in the Young Liberals, and Damien Tudehope, who commands influence in the north-west of Sydney, prospered, becoming treasurer and finance minister. David Elliott, a leading figure of the centre right, has risen too. So did the leading moderates such as Kean.

At least in cabinet, the factions had checked their weapons at the door.

But there was always the question of who would succeed Berejiklian.

The new deal

About three years ago, Kean is said to have struck a further deal with Perrottet to make Perrottet premier, even though he came from the right, while Kean would become treasurer. Until that point the moderates, the biggest faction, had laid claim to the premier’s job.

Kean and Perrotett have never confirmed the deal, but subsequent events appear to confirm it.

Despite a senior moderate, Rob Stokes, nominating for premier after Berejiklian resigned, Perrottet won with support from Kean’s bloc of moderates. Both men have now risen to the top before turning 40: Perrottet as premier and Kean his treasurer.

But has the deal emboldened the right and diminished the moderates?

“It’s been the best infiltration I have seen in my life,” says one disillusioned moderate. “Rather than beat us up, they got us to do what they want.”

How much Perrottet’s rise has strengthened the right is debated within the party – there have so far been no attempts to push a conservative social agenda.

“Perrottet is not offensive to most moderates – he mainly sticks to economic issues and he’s endorsed net zero by 2050,” says a senior moderate.

“I don’t think he’s sitting watching Sky after Dark night after night. He’s probably reading Margaret Thatcher’s biography – and we can live with that.”

But the new rules for preselecting candidates have provided an avenue for increased influence and there are signs right operatives are active.

“The right are taking the car out for a spin to see what’s possible,” says one factional player who asked not to be named.

Abbott’s original Warringah rules establishing branch member plebiscites to choose candidates were substantially modified before being adopted.

Safeguards against branch stacking, such as being a member for two years and monthly limits on new members signing up, were included. A quarter of the vote was allocated to the state executive council in the broader party interest.

James’s preselection, only the second under the new rules, raises questions about whether the moderates have underestimated the right.

Grassroots action

James, a long-time participant in the faction, had hoped to succeed Abbott in the federal northern beaches seat of Warringah until the independent Zali Steggall made it unwinnable for a person with a track record of support for fossil fuels.

James has also made two unsuccessful tilts at the state seat of North Shore, also regarded as moderate territory. So Willoughby was a real surprise.

There were about 110 selectors assembled for the preselection on 12 January. James came second to Giles-Gidney in the first round of voting but edged her out in the second round.

“He was just hungrier for it,” said one attendee.

By all accounts he gave a strong speech and demonstrated his policy depth as a former director of the Menzies Research Centre.

Some say Covid-19 played a role, with older members who supported Giles-Gidney reluctant to attend in person.

The NSW Liberal party said: “There were three outstanding candidates contesting the preselection, with Tim James selected by members to represent the party at the upcoming election, based on his vision for the community.”

James had a bloc of 11 Young Liberals from the right who were eligible to vote under party rules that allow Young Liberals to attend branches where they live or adjoining branches. They included Thomas Ryan, who is married to Francesca Perrottet , the premier’s sister; Anthony Swales, an electorate staffer for state minister Anthony Roberts; Pierre Okosdinossian, a graduate of Redfield College, the conservative Catholic school attended by Perrottet; and Benedict Kang,

In 2018 Kang wrote in the conservative Spectator: “At the heart of the political process is grassroots action … Something is astir in the air, and the winds of change, of reform, are blowing. This article may very well be prophetic, and I sincerely hope that it is. Join a party, be the conservative voice, change the tide of battle. Believe me, there has never been a better time to be young, restless, and right-wing.”

There is clear evidence elsewhere that conservatives have heeded the call and signed up to branches in anticipation of the Warringah rules.

Branches that had just five or 10 members have seen numbers swell to the 30s in the past two and half years.

The MP most under threat is the federal environment minister, Sussan Ley, in the seat of Farrer in southern NSW. She is facing a challenge from conservative Christian Ellis, a member of the right faction, who moved to Deniliquin from Sydney. He previously worked for Perrottet and the former federal resources minister Matt Canavan.

He also ran as a candidate for Family First against the Liberal Philip Ruddock, earning him a suspension from the party.

Ellis was one of the organisers of a right group known as the NSW Reformers, which gained publicity in 2019 over a plan to recruit 5,000 members to the Liberal party through conservative churches.

In Farrer, Ellis has been running on water issues and several members of the local group “Speak up for Water” have joined local branches.

Unless there is an intervention by the state executive or by the prime minister, Ley will lose, local Liberals say.

Escalating competition

Since the Willoughby upset there are also concerns about what could occur in preselection for the federal seat of North Sydney, held by Zimmerman, which overlaps Willoughby.

Until now, moderates have brushed off a preselection challenge from the right’s Hamish Stitt and the centre right’s Jessica Collins as a distraction with no chance. Now no one is so sure. Zimmerman declined to comment.

And in the north-west of Sydney there are also renewed concerns about the seat of Mitchell, currently held by the centre right’s organiser, Hawke, but under challenge from the right.

In a sign of the escalating competition between the factions, the Hills shire mayor, Michelle Byrne – backed by the centre right – found herself without a position on the Liberal ticket for the local government elections.

“I don’t agree with the process that has taken place within the Liberal party or how we got here,” Byrne said in her resignation statement.

So has there been a recruitment drive since in anticipation of greater democracy under the Warringah rules?

A spokesman for the NSW Liberal party said numbers had steadily increased over the last five years but declined to give details.

“The party welcomes new members from across the community, and we have had members continue to join us from a diverse range of geographic, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds,” he said.

With a federal election due to be held by May, the NSW Liberals appears to have adopted a strategy of delaying remaining preselections rather than risking the uncertainties of the Warringah rules. There is constant talk of a peace deal to carve up the seats using urgency powers.

“Whoever holds the parliamentary seats ends up being reflected in the culture and control of the party,” says one long-time factional player.

“So what happens in this election will determine how much influence the right has in NSW. If North Sydney and Wentworth were to go [to independents], they are two very important seats held by the moderates,” he says.

“While Morrison remains prime minister, then the centre right is a force, but they are the smallest group and query what happens if he is no longer the leader,” he says.

And if the right claim more seats as well as the premiership, their influence will increase.

“After the Willoughby result,” says a senior party member, “no one is at all confident about what’s happening.”

reductio ad absurdum
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:44pm
 Dangerous. 

The moment bible-belters take over, alarm bells ring.

Angry
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:44pm
 Morrison has to go, for the good of the country...

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:09pm
Premier Dominic Perrottet offered to create a parliamentary trade role for Transport Minister David Elliott as a sweetener for dumping him from cabinet and on another occasion also spoke to him about the agent-general position in London, in revelations likely to heap immense pressure on Perrottet’s leadership.

Time is a flat circle
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:48pm
Thanks TJ.  Thumbs Up

For those who came in late: "Premier Dominic Perrottet offered to create a parliamentary trade role for Transport Minister David Elliott as a sweetener for dumping him from cabinet and on another occasion also spoke to him about the agent-general position in London, in revelations likely to heap immense pressure on Perrottet’s leadership".

Perrottet clearly spends too much time totally rooting things up: both domestically and politically.  This NSW ruling party is surely screwed. Unhappy
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:22pm
 I've never seen a more nervous politician He stutters, he gulps, his eyes go every which way and he looks like a nerdy school prefect.

please deliver us from incompetence...

Geek
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:58pm
Does Dom Perrottet indulge in too much Dom Perignon to cause his stuttering ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>