Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Desecration of Statues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:34am
Dont worry Bob, as our little farmers go broke our great mega-farmers Twiggy and Gina will be there for them, buying them out 10c in the dollar...great Australians.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 12:30pm
yuck yuck yuck.

would love to see an opinion poll on twiggys popularity.
Did you know he is carving up his Mindarooo foundation ?
probably the bad publicity he has received has given the Mindaroo name a bad rap.

I look forward to his next message....LOL
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 12:42pm
For complete idiocy this would just about take the cake.

A Victorian man has had his personalised registration plates on his car cancelled after VicRoads deemed them offensive.

Peter Hansen from Portland has had the plates on his Torana for ten years without a problem, but they were suddenly recalled because they “reference violence”.

The plates spell out the word ‘weapon’ in four letters: ‘WEPN’.

“It’s not an aggressive name, it’s not a name to incite anything. It is literally the name of a vehicle,” Hansen told 7NEWS.

Watch what Peter has to say about his number plates below:

After ten years without a problem, a Portland man has had his personalised rego plates cancelled. They spell out the word 'weapon', and VicRoads has now decided that's offensive.

The Torana has been a feature at dozens of legal drag races and is known among car lovers.

“I’ve been pulled over by the police to check out my vehicle and they’ve told me how nice of a car I’ve got, but there are never any hoon fines,” he said.

But VicRoads cancelled the plates after declaring them offensive.

What if the bloke's name was Walter Edward Peter Norris? Probably wouldn't matter. Do you reckon they'd take it off him if his name were Willie Ernie Pingu Namatjira?

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:20pm
But I'm sure if his number plates were ANTIFA, that would be fineLOL
EAD
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:05pm
While they do nothing about the Pandemic of illegal drugs.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:10pm
Much of the BS the BLM mob complain about, is caused by erratic suspects loaded up with ICE, behaving aggressively toward police.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:13pm
Many on ICE behave like mad dogs, shooting a few acts to reduce use of it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:25pm
WEPN ="reference violence", does it. Really, one senses that there are reality disconnects in modern society, certainly unlike at any other time in my lifetime, when the place is just awash with, for example, violent video games and movies. Corporates can get away with anything, while individuals get bullied by over-zealous idiots who are unfit to hold positions of authority.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:02pm
What has been achieved already is, ineffective Policing.

Who can blame Police if they just stand back and allow it all to happen.

Turn up for work but don't turn up where there is trouble.

Rare for Police or any Law enforcing staff, to become physically involved with people who are co-operating and responding to instruction.

To not co operate is to risk consequences.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:06pm
I agree, but it is pretty well standard practice not to comply or co-operate, but complain when the police dog takes a chunk out of them when they run.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm
I had a younger brother who was in the Force for many years, around Botany Mascot area for a long period, Then went to Queanbeyan NSW.

He always said 90% co-operated 5% difficult, but easily managed without violence . and 5% were in the danger zone.   That's far too many and that was to the 1978's .    The year My brother died in a Road accident on Sydney Road Manly NSW.    To a drunk on the wrong side of the road, who also died.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:28pm

PC woke ,Prince Harry, who is the patron of the England Rugby Football Union, has backed moves to ban the unofficial rugby anthem Swing Low, Sweet Chariot because of its associations with slavery.

Harry, who has been at Twickenham as 80,000 fans roar the song on many occasions, supports the review by rugby officials of its historical context and whether it is cultural misappropriation.

His stance has pitted him against the bulk of rugby fans who have fiercely supported their right to sing the spiritual, with many pointing out the last regime seeking a ban was the Nazis, who added it to a list of undesired and harmful musical works.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it should not be banned.

“Before we start complaining about Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, I want to know what the rest of the words are,” he said. “I certainly don’t think there should be any prohibition on singing that song. My curiosity is why people don’t seem to know the rest of it

— how does it go on?”

The song was written by Wallace Willis, an Oklahoma slave.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:55pm
We ignore History at our peril.   It has a habit of repeating itself.

Learn all we can about it , enjoy the good and learn from the bad.

IF you don't learn ----- Chances are you will Marry again.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:56pm
From wikipaedia..

"The song enjoyed a resurgence during the 1960s Civil Rights struggle"

Fair dinkum, Harry is no advertisement for the "firm", he's a double-rectified fukwit.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm
The only association the song has with slavery is that it was written by an ex-slave. These banners are funny people.Tongue
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:10pm
Is Noam Chomsky still kicking ? What does he say about such BS, I wonder.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Reckon Meghan has been putting the Shanghai Squeeze on Harry, too much, and addled his brain. Or maybe he was born silly, and has suffered a relapse.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:16pm
It's just a pity pigeons are routinely poisoned in built up areas and around major parks these days.

Am reliably informed that Tony Abbott's statue was constantly covered in excrement before his recent unfortunate but understandable daubing.  Birds clearly know best.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:26pm

Why this radical activist is disillusioned by the toxic culture of the left

Bailey Lamon

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-this-radical-activist-is-disillusioned-by-the-toxic-culture-of-the-left-a6895211.html

I've been involved in activism since the Occupy Movement of 2011. Over the years this has included anti-capitalist, labour and feminist organising, as well as coordinating a local Food Not Bombs chapter, a number of direct actions against big oil (in solidarity with First Nations people), and prisoner justice campaigns.

While I will always be part of the movement and believe in creating a better world through people power, over the years I have become increasingly frustrated with modern activist culture and the way that today's left conducts itself.

First of all, I’m tired of watching people turn into pretentious Christmas puddings who think their activism makes them better than everyone else, even the oppressed and marginalised groups with whom they claim “allyship”

If you’ve ever worked with oppressed groups, such as people who are homeless, abused, addicted or suffering from mental health problems, there's one thing you learn straight away. They usually don't frame their worldviews in terms of academic theories students learn in gender studies classes in university. For the most part, they tend to not analyse their experiences in terms of systemic power and privilege, concepts such as “the patriarchy”, “white privilege”, or “heteronormativity”.

While many of these folks know that they're directly impacted by class inequality, they don't sit around pondering capitalism, reading Marx, or tackling the effects of “problematic behaviours”. They are not concerned with checking their privilege. No. They are busy trying to survive. Getting through the next day. Meeting their basic needs. They don't bother with policing their language and worrying about how their words might unintentionally perpetuate certain stereotypes. They are more concerned with their voices being heard.

Yet I witness so many “activists” who ignore the realities of oppression despite saying that they care about those at the bottom of society. They think that being offended by something is equal to experiencing prison time or living on the streets. They talk about listening, being humble and not having preconceptions. Yet they ignore the lived experiences of those who don’t speak or think properly in the view of university-educated social justice warriors, regardless of how much worse off they really are.

This isn't to say that we should accept bigotry in any form — far from it. But I would go as far as saying that the politically correct mafia on the left perpetuates a form of bigotry on its own because it alienates and “otherises” those who do not share their ways of thinking and speaking about the world.

I've witnessed incidents where people have lost their jobs because of mistakes they've made in the eyes of left-wing activists. I've seen relationships and friendships destroyed. I've known people who have been banned from participating in certain places, and become so alienated from “the community” that they are afraid to go out in public at all. This has caused serious mental distress to people I've worked alongside, and has even resulted in suicide. Social "justice" indeed.

These incidents tend to happen over allegations that rest on each person's word. Yet only one party is allowed to tell their story, while the other one is told to sit down, shut up, and accept the potentially life-destroying consequences. And if anyone tries to step in or question how things are being done, they are immediately silenced and threatened with the same fate if they don't comply.

I'm sick of the cliques, the hierarchies, the policing of others, and the power imbalances. I am exhausted by the fact that any difference of opinion will lead to a fight, which sometimes includes abandonment of certain people who are consequently deemed “unsafe”.

It's disgusting that the left claims to be fighting for a better way of dealing with social problems, but if a person makes a mistake or says something wrong, they are not even given a chance to explain their side of what happened. This is because the process of conflict resolution is now driven by ideology rather than a willingness to understand facts. In today’s activist circles one is lucky to be given any sort of due process at all. Meanwhile, everyone is put under social pressure to believe everything they are told, regardless of what actually occurred in a given situation.

This is not freedom. This is not social justice. There is nothing “progressive” or “radical” about it.

There is a disturbing trend on the left nowadays of rejecting free speech that could possibly be hurtful to someone, somewhere. This is not only dangerous but it also works against us. As leftists we are often labelled as threats by the state and at the very least, we are unpopular by society in general.

Does this not mean that freedom of thought and expression are crucial to our struggles? That we should always defend our right to question what we’re taught, our right to be different? As Noam Chomsky put it: “If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.”

We have the right to challenge other people's speech, but what many people are seeing is the shutting off of dialogue entirely for the purpose of “safety”. What could possibly be safe about censorship? What could possibly be safe about a group of people who claim to be freedom fighters dictating who can speak and what can be said, based on whether or not we agree with them? Study any kind of history and you will find that censorship has never been on the right side of it.

The world is not a safe place. It is extremely dangerous, flawed, full of bloodshed and corruption. By sheltering ourselves from its harshness we are doing nothing meaningful to change it. If we are serious about confronting power we must throw ourselves into the danger that so many people have no choice but to live with. While self-care is necessary to sustain us in the long run, avoiding the darkness entirely is nothing more than a cop out.

So folks on the left – do the world a favour and get serious about changing the world. And enough with the safe spaces and trigger warnings. I used to love the idea of safe spaces, but eventually realised that they did not protect me from humanity’s flaws. Escapism is necessary once in a while, but if we are serious we need to avoid hiding behind ourselves. It is extremely naive to think that we can just walk into a room, declare it a safe space, and expect it to magically become one. Unless you and your safe space enforcing friends plan on isolating yourselves from the world rather than engaging with it, it is not realistic at all and pretending it is will only hurt you further.

As for trigger warnings, as a rape survivor and someone who deals with PTSD, how is writing something like “TW: Rape” not inherently triggering? I simply don’t get it. Anything can be triggering to someone, and there is no way of knowing what that will be. Personally, I think we are better off working out how to support someone who becomes triggered in a given situation rather than triggering them ourselves in an attempt not to.

Our ideas cannot be forced on other people, but must be adopted voluntarily. This requires patience and a willingness to work with others as they explore themselves. We need to be there to answer their questions, and make it clear that no question is a stupid one.

We are not always going to enjoy the process! But without freedom of thought, speech, and expression, no other freedom can exist. Bigots and hateful people in general will make fools of themselves, and again, our freedom to speak means that we can and definitely should challenge and outsmart them. But the idea of being so self-righteous that we think we deserve to be authority figures in all of this is soul-crushing.

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
If they want to get rid of anything with a racist history, the US Democrat party should be first to go.Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:49pm
A decent edit would've helped heaps Tlaz.

The article, and it's worth or otherwise, is about twice as long as it needs be. That suggests she's trying too hard to make a point and the position piece suffers as a consequence.

Thought the Rightards would totally agree, even if they solely read the Header to the article.  Wink
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm
Agree. Why so many words to say something so obvious?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:04pm
So arguably obvious.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:09pm
The article is succinct. I am not in the habit of posting long articles here but there was nothing I could leave out.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
And your excrement doesn't stink either.  Smile
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:58pm
So many justifiable complaints of errors we have been guilty of over several generations.
   Allowing Migrants to practice different cultures, while resenting & undermining the one they chose to seek a new life in, is the first to come to mind.
Free Trading has been a big mistake .
Allowing Business to send jobs off shore.
Unsustainable migration numbers.
Neglecting Law & order issues . ( Doing nil to combat drug addiction )
Allowing Mental Health issues, to be Part of General Hospital Duties.
Closing ( Dangerous ) Mental Health Detention areas.
    ETC
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:12pm
Well it has not taken that long before more Australian icons are to have a name change. Allens have announced that both the confectioneries they manufacture  Redskins  & Chicos are going to have a name change. I do not think it will be much longer before I will no longer be able to buy a Chicko roll at the football
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:15pm
Surely there'll be a cultural pendulum swing against this kookiness? 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Surely there'll be a cultural pendulum swing against this kookiness? 

What degree of speculation do you put on that?
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:17pm
Very low, unfortunately.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>