Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dean Yendall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dean Yendall
    Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:18pm
About time we had an acknowledgement of one of Victorias' busiest & top jockeys Smile

Dean Yendall rides into town for another shot at a big one

Date

Peter Hanlon

Senior sports writer for The Age

Not resting on his laurels: Dean Yendall is happy to clock up the miles and mounts

Not resting on his laurels: Dean Yendall is happy to clock up the miles and mounts Photo: Pat Scala

It amuses Dean Yendall when people he plays golf with or bumps into on the Horsham streets say how busy he must be at this time of year. "I'm like, 'I ride every $#@! day of the week!'"

Pick up the paper, he tells them, and you'll find they're racing somewhere in Victoria, every single day, and more than likely he'll be there. Good Friday and Christmas Day offer the only respite, "and soon enough there'll be races then too".

Jockeys' Association boss Des O'Keeffe thinks Yendall is a great story of an average junior who was rough around the edges and a bit grumpy, whose work ethic and insatiable appetite for race riding make him as crucial to the industry as the spotlit Williamses and Olivers. Of seeing his name not only at Warrnambool, Geelong and Ballarat this week, but in the Cox Plate field too, O'Keeffe says: "I think every rider in Victoria would be cheering for him."

Racing Victoria steward Corey Waller says Yendall's conduct is exemplary, reporting that, despite all those races, he's virtually never been given a rap over the knuckles for interference. He reminds Waller of his own father, Ken, a former country Queensland jockey who'd get the odd big big ride, "and everybody would want to see him get up".

Yendall likes his chances on Gai Waterhouse's Wandjina on Saturday, but doesn't reckon a win would change a long-held perception that he is essentially a "country jockey". "Maybe, maybe," he says. "But I don't think so."

At 40, the son of a Westmeadows butcher can see the upside in the truth behind the tag. At the end of every racing day, he points his hard-working car at Horsham where his wife and fellow jockey Christine Puls and their cherished baby daughter Mia are waiting. "Words can't describe how good it feels to come home and see my girls," Yendall says, his voice breaking to recall they once talked about not having children. "I wouldn't give her back, that's for sure."

He clocks up close to 90,000 kilometres a year, a marathon commute that last season amounted to more than 900 rides for 146 wins. The last car they traded in did 180,000 kilometres in barely two years.

So much racing, combined with where they choose to live, affords Yendall an unusual luxury for a jockey. He rarely rides trackwork, so gets up as late as 8am, plays with Mia for a couple of hours, then heads off to work.

"Because he's not up at three in the morning, we don't sleep in the middle of the day, we're off doing stuff all day," says Puls, a farm girl from Jung who has watched her husband morph into a bushie too. "When he gets a day off he can walk 50 metres and put his fishing rod in the Wimmera River, or be on the golf course in no time." They have a putting green around their swimming pool and a shared love of animals that Puls thinks would be dangerous if they were on a farm.

They're best friends, a stark contrast to their early dealings, when Yendall had moved from a Jerilderie apprenticeship to Ararat. "It's terrible to say this, but I actually hated him," Puls says, having found him arrogant.

Yendall agrees with the "arrogant" tag and remembers himself as a shy person who needed steering around strangers. When rides didn't pan out as hoped he'd tell the owners: "Your horse is $#@! useless." He thought they'd appreciate the honesty; time has taught him subtlety.

Darryl Dodson, a trainer with a similar liking for the road, put him on everything. A stint with the Hayes stable, two years in Adelaide, brought him no closer to metro acceptance, but in recent years he's become a regular for the prolific Darren Weir. "It's like any job – if you're not prepared to do the work you go nowhere," Yendall says.

Brad Rawiller, the only Victorian who spent more time in the saddle last season (with 1055 rides), concurs. "It's my career path – Dean's in the same position – if you don't do it you get left behind."

The travellers don't car pool, because Rawiller generally needs time in the steam room to make the weight – an occupational hazard Yendall is grateful to avoid. "We're natural little lightweights; we walk around at 49 (kilos) and eat whatever we want," says Puls.

She says her husband is "a brilliant cook" and a passionately healthy eater. Yendall expanded his culinary horizons watching Jamie Oliver, Bill Grainger, et al, and loves dipping into his many cookbooks. He avoids the temptation of all those highway drive-throughs, but curses that there's no other option when leaving Swan Hill with a grumbling stomach. "I'll have a Big Mac and feel gelati half an hour later."

Puls says there are people in both their families who've struggled with their weight. "We've just been active and made sure we don't."

This helped land him the ride on Wandjina, and Puls is grateful a trainer "who knows what she's up to" has shown faith in a jockey who is a career lightweight, rather than a binge dieter in search of spring riches. Yendall can handle the country tag, but seeing heavier hoops crash his territory is irksome.

"In wintertime most of them struggle to ride the minimum weights of 54, 55 kilos, then miraculously, come springtime, they can ride as light as they want."

He's in form, riding two winners at Geelong on Wednesday before heading to Melbourne to ride Wandjina in work on Thursday. A few years ago they bought a one-bedroom Docklands unit Yendall says "is like our own motel", and makes more sense than paying hundreds in accommodation on those rare nights in town.

He thinks he's got a good chance of giving Waterhouse a first Cox Plate to take home to Sydney, a city his little family holidays in annually, and where a few years ago he got hooked on another pursuit that keeps him on the move. "I came back with a skateboard, one of those big street ones," Yendall says.

Puls says he's a natural, cruising the Horsham footpaths with their dog on a lead, dragging him faster and faster. "You get some speed up, have to hunt for the grass to slow down."

It's about the only time he puts on the brakes.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:36pm
Great he can get to 49 without wasting.
bcwins View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:10pm
Underrated jockey we will have him on our emerging superstar.

Typo, autocorrect I'm tipping Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 24 Oct 2014 at 9:13pm
Downby the palms View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downby the palms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 2:32am
He's a money spinner when he rides in country Victoria
johnny Hunt
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:39am

Yendall set for second Melbourne Cup ride

Dean Yendall celebrating another winner

Dean Yendall celebrating another winner

Pint-sized jockey, Dean Yendall, has been booked to ride Unchain My Heart in the Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) should the mare, who is at 24 in the order of entry, gain a start in the $6.2 million race.

Journeyman Yendall atops the Victorian Jockey Premiership with 38 wins this season but despite his prolific strike rate, he has often been replaced by more fashionable hoops on Group 1 rides.

The 40-year-old, a natural lightweight, took his first ride in the coveted Melbourne Cup in 2011 aboard Niwot. He was booked for Dolphin Jo in 2006 but had to relinquish the ride after breaking his leg in a fall at Moonee Valley a week out from the Cup.  

Unchain My Heart will carry 51.5 kilograms on the first Tuesday in November with the modest hoop telling racing.com he was “thrilled” to have received the call-up to ride theDavid Hayes/Tom Dabernig-trained mare. 

The Cup booking follows Yendall’s ride on the Gai Waterhouse-trained Wandjina in the Group 1 Sportingbet Cox Plate (2040m).

“It’s good advertisement for me and obviously it’s a great race to have a ride in,” Yendall says. 

“She’s proven over two miles at the track, obviously it’s been against a lot lesser grade, but David thinks she’s going well enough otherwise they wouldn’t pay up for her.”

Unchain My Heart took victory in the Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (3200m) at Flemington on May 24.

Yendall says connection are hoping the eight-year-old will gain a start in the Cup without having to run in the Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) on Saturday.

Yendall, who bases himself in Horsham with his wife and fellow jockey Christine Puls, says the hard work “over the years” had paid off - Yendall will travel anywhere “within reason” to take a ride on a quality galloper.

“No doubt that’s all paying off and I’ve been very appreciative of all the support that I have had for the last couple of seasons and during the bigger race meetings,” he says.

“And all going well, and with a bit of luck, I’ll be riding next Tuesday.”

Yendall, who much to the ire of other hoops does not have to watch his weight closely, says he only indulges in McDonalds or chocolate when “it’s too late to get anything else on the way home.”

“I’ll only eat it if I have to,” he smiled.

As for big race rituals or superstitions, Yendall says there are none.

“Just that I like to wear clean jocks,” he laughed.

cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm
Noticing a bit of a change with his riding style now - he is actually sittting down in the saddle in the last 100m or so, when punching them out to the line.

its a bit of an odd style.
swanks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:04pm
Yendall is the one jockey i rate as my quaddie killer...finally learnt to put him in, glad i did with doc care today. But definitely one i always take notice of these days. One of the under rated jockeys getting around
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:14pm
If he only could have got the protest on Girl Guide!

I picked up the quad in Melbourne which paid handsomely however I reckon with Girl Guide winning the race, I could have multiplied the quad by at least 6x.

Would have been a massive day instead of being big!

Not complaining though ...

Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:44pm
Top bloke too, not afraid to tell you how it is Thumbs Up
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Noticing a bit of a change with his riding style now - he is actually sittting down in the saddle in the last 100m or so, when punching them out to the line.

I noticed that too. I thought what an untidy way of riding, when they said it was Yendall, I was, no way, he rides way better than that. Wonder if hes had an injury?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

I noticed that too. I thought what an untidy way of riding, when they said it was Yendall, I was, no way, he rides way better than that. Wonder if hes had an injury?

Not sure, but the first rider ive seen do it was craig newitt. That was some months ago, i havent taken notice of froggy lately.

its strange to watch, but many ways to skin a cat i guess...especially riding horses.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:13pm
Great to see Dean Yendall now a Group 1 winner
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:15pm
nearly fell off!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:17pm
Kidding!!!Wink
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:28pm
Fabulous win, fabulous ride.  

www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm
This has to be heard to be believed................but then we are talking about Deano LOL

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/horse-racing/2016/10/cox-plate-jockey-reveals-way-too-much-information/

Cox Plate Jockey Reveals WAY Too Much Information

Well, he's honest...

Jockey Dean Yendall will be riding Yankee Rose in the Cox Plate today, and he came on Dead Set Legends to talk up his chances.

But Howie and Fev weren’t prepared for for his first line, which revealed WAY too much info and had both of them absolutely losing their gelati.

Writing down what he said doesn’t do it justice, so you’ll just have to watch the video:

In case this works Wink

http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=cydGh3NjE6LyrKNCwGvK0PdF9SniBd01&pbid=MmUwYmY4MmIyNmE0OWI0MmQwNGUxMDdi

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:20pm
Gee what a whopperCool  Christine was all smiles
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:23pm
Brilliant work Deano

Not afraid to tell it like it is, which is a good thing in this day and age
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
just been involved in a fall at Mildura, clipped heels on the turn and came crashing to the ground. True Kisses picked herself up and finished the race
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:09pm
Walked to the ambulance, seems to have been winded badly.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:17pm
being taken to Mildura hospital for assessment
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:22pm
Happy Birthday Deano
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:31pm
Happy Birthday Yendall
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
Piss off 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
Oh that came out, I thought it would be Censored
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:33pm
I did hear him say to Sammy. Piss off im not that old
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:40pm
Yes he rode the second winner over 2200m and admitted to knocking up at the end of it Sam said that is what happens when you turn 45 to which he snapped ''piss off I am not 45''
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:51pm
Cant cop him
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:24pm
His post race interviews are signs he is either on himself big time and hasnt got time for that annoying stuff , or...

its a genuie gripe that he is held up answering such predictable questions, often times the same questions said a different way.

hard to tell with deano
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:30pm
He thinks he is a comedian. He just takes the piss
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>