Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dalakhani

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dalakhani
    Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:25pm
I know there is a thread about Aga Khan stallions but thought he deserved a thread of his own.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he has a very good stud record to my eyes. Doesn't he? 

But strange placement in SA. Why not NSW or NZ or even Vic? 

Hopefully he gets good mares and a decent amount of them because he should be producing some good staying types or at least middle distances and looks like a welcome addition. It looks like he nicks extremely well with Sadlers Wells mares and Danehill mares amongst others. 

What other mares do you all think he'll nick well with?

I'm going to go for one from left field and say that he could nick well with Street Cry mares.

Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:44pm
This isn't answering your question, I know, but I was very much taken by his son Reliable Man at Rosehill yesterday. Stunning appearance. And over a distance much shorter than his best (so far) he put in a very sound run. If Dalakhani can produce runners anywhere near this quality, he'll be an asset downunder.
I think Dalakhani could be a stallion to give SA the shot in the arm that it needs in terms of the breeding industry. A stallion worth sending mares to be covered from interstate.
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:52pm
I know i said this on the other thread but I wonder if he's going to SA because Grey Swallow has not had much success as a stallion and he's a close relation of Dalakhani with a great racing record.

As for mares - he's already had a lot of success with Sadler's Well's mares so in Oz you could look at some of SW's sons - Blevic, Savoire Vivre, Barathea. I also think he would work with Lonhro/Octagonal/Zabeel mares.
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 12:34am
I think he would work well with mares carrying Mr Prospector too.
dreamer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:03pm
alot of good horses are starting to come out of S.A.
one would think that the aga's top mare's have been too him so will be interesting to see how he goes with our mare's
after a quick look the only grey's in the family all trace to The Tetrarch and he's sire line( a bit closer grey sovereign) if any one after those lines, seems to be a strong gene in him .
OWNERS THINK THERE TRAINERS,TRAINERS THINK THERE JOCKEYS AND JOCKEYS DON'T THINK
dreamer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:29pm
not sure on his stats but i think males will be mostly grey and the females more chestnuts
how would marooned mare's go ? be able to run all day ?
OWNERS THINK THERE TRAINERS,TRAINERS THINK THERE JOCKEYS AND JOCKEYS DON'T THINK
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:34pm
I think all those Blevic mares would suit him. You get the Sadler's Wells/Darshaan cross found in High Chaparral and Mill Reef 4m x 5f. 

Daughters of Umatilla would give you Miswaki 3f x 3m (perhaps a granddaughter would be better)

Anything with Vain gives you the Mr Prospector/Darshaan/Wilkes cross.

Any mare with the brothers Sovereign Red and Grosvenor or a mare with Best Western all have Grey Sovereign blood.
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 10:50pm
Jeune mares would also supply Grey sovereign  -they should be a few around SA since he stood there for quite a while.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 7:14pm
A close look at his more successful progeny reveals that the vast majority win at 2400m or further. 

So care might needed to avoid breeding a plodder under Oz conditions, such as might occur over (for instance) Blevic/Scenic mares unless there's some genuine speed in the mix.

Imo relates back a bit to the thread titled "Breeding Stayers?" in the Breeding Forum.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
dreamer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 7:24pm
darshaan have something to do with that runfer?or a combination of multiables

EverydayImShufflin View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EverydayImShufflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:12am
$20K?!

Do they think us breeders are back in the good old days where could sell just about anything for profit?? Great horse to breed to for $10-12k, as more than likely he'll be breed to race only (at least for the first couple of years).

$20K......... no thank you, not when you consider the much more commercial horses in both VIC and NSW for about the same fee.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 4:17pm
I was also disappointed to see he was $20k - would be very hard to use him for commercial breeding purposes at that price. Was really keen on him for a Danehill Dancer mare but not at that price. He is still virtually unknown here and not sure how much promotion or hype he'll generate. Breed to race but a big risk at that fee.
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:29pm
I guess though in terms of the stallion's welfare, they'd rather get in 60-80 mares at $20,000 than have 120 at $12,000.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

I was also disappointed to see he was $20k - would be very hard to use him for commercial breeding purposes at that price. Was really keen on him for a Danehill Dancer mare but not at that price. He is still virtually unknown here and not sure how much promotion or hype he'll generate. Breed to race but a big risk at that fee.

Do you mean he is unproven here ?

Surely all breeders would know him ?

He will ugrade most of the mares he covers.
reductio ad absurdum
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:51pm
A disaster waiting to happen, if only because you'd need to hand-pick the type of mare that might enable him to succeed downunder.  And apart from that:
Wrong price.

Wrong State.

Wrong Stud.

Indeed wrong country.

Just imo.  Wink
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:28pm
reductio ad absurdum
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Do you mean he is unproven here ?

Surely all breeders would know him ?

He will ugrade most of the mares he covers.

Thanks djebel, "unproven" is a much better word to explain what I meant. I really liked Freezy's win recently, and Reliable Man ran well too. But he'll need a good winner to get people interested. I agree he should upgrade mares, would love to use him but just not at 20k at this stage.
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:57pm
Perhaps they see him as a "niche" stallion who'll be supported by discerning breeders in the tradition of Jeune and At Talaq. Let's face it, the AK doesn't need the cash! So they're "protecting" his reputation with a higher stud fee.
EverydayImShufflin View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EverydayImShufflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by MichaelM MichaelM wrote:

I guess though in terms of the stallion's welfare, they'd rather get in 60-80 mares at $20,000 than have 120 at $12,000.

Unless they plan on sending 30-40 mares themselves, they have next to no hope of getting anywhere close to 80 mares at $20k.

It's hard enough to find 80 mares breeding in SA, never mind 80 mares with owners willing to take a massive gamble for $20k.

We've seen some overpriced imports in recent years, but this might land on top of them all........
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 12:34am
agree with shufflin... 

the number of breeders in SA wanting to part with 20k would be critically low... 

most breeders in SA are going to Vic / NSW
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
G Kay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 11:25pm
20k what a joke - not many here will pay that when you can travel interstate for 2k return and get much better value for money. This stallion has no hope in SA
I hate being proven wrong but I am ok with being "enlightened" every now and then
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 7:25pm
It only takes a phone call and a deal might be in the offing. Reliable Man very good yesterday. Sad we wont see him for 12 months, if at all. He could be the cheap intro into the bloodline.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by G Kay G Kay wrote:

20k what a joke - not many here will pay that when you can travel interstate for 2k return and get much better value for money. This stallion has no hope in SA

Examples ?
reductio ad absurdum
G Kay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:23pm
Lets wait and see the size of his book this year.
I'm sure that will back me up
I hate being proven wrong but I am ok with being "enlightened" every now and then
G Kay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:35pm
I'm confident most if not all of these would see a better return on a similar investment

Mossman
Bel Esprit
Magic Albert
Choisir
Al Maher

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:55pm
Hopefully Dalakhani appeals to bread to race breeders and those who hope to upgrade their mares.

He was a high grade racehorse with proper racing speed and has done a good job so far.
reductio ad absurdum
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:04am
Somehow i don't think sa mares are of the same quality of the aga khans that went to him, but we shall see what his results are like eventually.

mouse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:43am
maybe south australian racing is not as strong as france either,i have booked one ,well priced suits us

songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:46am
Depends what you're looking to produce - Dalakhani's best progeney raced over 2000-2400m.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:01am

Breeding to Dalakhani in Aust may produce overy dour horses so you may need to try and put speed into the mating , but from a pedigree perspective I would agree with Ticino (see Mis right note thread)and songline in what lines to use to him .

Mr Prospector (fam13) as well as Bold Reason or Never Bend and as much of both as you can get into a pedigree . BR and NB both carry Djeddah who is very closely related to Darshaan . Interestingly also for me Dalakhani has some similarities to Galileo in the way his pedigree is structured . Both out of Miswaki mares and in Dalakhani he carries both Delsey and Damana with background Astronomie family 9-e . Galileo also has strong 9-h influence primarilly thru Allegretta .  Both 9-e and 9-h are real staying families that trace to Maid of Masham .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>