Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Coronavirus Hoarding Madness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coronavirus Hoarding Madness
    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:20am
Is there a workable answer to this?
I've come up with:
Location: Those outside a certain radius ineligible to buy groceries. ID with address required.
Spend limit per grocery retailer: Great in theory but no way of policing & penalises large families who may spend 1k/week on a regular basis.
Our little s/market is swamped with Melburnians already & the delivery truck hasn't even arrived yet, not to mention they're going as far as Stawell, Horsham, Edenhope Angry

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:40am
I don't hear much talk about what the supermarket warehouse inventories are holding, but I suspect they are getting low, Sco-Mo will act after his next Hawaiian holiday, never underestimate haw far king useless these politicians are, the hoarders certainly don't !
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:45am
Woolies have just limited ALL items to 2 only...

too bad if you have six kids, like my niece...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:50am
Certainly has got worse in the last couple of days, and the silence about warehouse stocks is ominous. this reminds me of people with an unruly dog that never responds to the owners commands, Sco Mo is the "owner", the hoarders are the dog. The leash will have to come out soon, or there will be riots.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:28pm
The weird thing for me is this is a great sign of how ignorant these people are.

While Australia's manufacturing base has disappeared toilet paper is actually the one industry which we ae covered in. No wonder we get the elected officials we do if this is the level of knowledge our voters have.

I do not mean to cruel but as ScoMo said yesterday this is unaustralian, and unfortunately most of the idiots I see are not looking like they were born here. Probably came from Italy or China where they are suspicious of anything being out of stock, just look at the baby formula fiasco!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:28am
What if the Sky/2GB ''paid to say dumb stuff' types are wrong and the experts are right and people might be facing 3-6 months isolation, and possibly several rounds of isolation with a family of 5 or 6? How much stuff do you need?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:52am
Just went to my local Coles - loo paper running low. Run like a military exercise. Lined up around queue partitions at 6.45am - by 7pm would have been 50 over 60's in line. Open doors & Security Guard checks ID & pallet of toilet paper (packs 10)in a special area being manned by 2 employees. By 7.09am all packs sold out & then single rolls being handed out for free for about 10min until all gone. Lots of folk missed out. Unbelievable experience !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:02am
The stupid part about this is we're not running short on any food or grocery item. Theres plenty of everything to go around.

The problem is the supply system is not set up for Australians to suddenly start buying six months worth of groceries in one day! They are struggling to get the stuff from the warehouses to the stores and the shelves stacked .

The best thing I can think of is to get rid of the local government restrictions on when heavy vehicles can operate in their area. Let the delivery trucks go 24/7 and put on more shelf stackers. People will calm down if they see the shelves full .Hopefully!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:07am
Here's the problem - its ok to sound bullish & say you are not going to panic buy items like toilet paper. Until you start to run out  OuchOuch
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:16am
Yes its been a snowballing effect. People go to their supermarket to buy milk or something, see the empty shelves everywhere and get in a panic! It's also showing the effect of social media. My normally very sensible daughter rang me up yesterday in a panic saying theyre going to lock down Sydney . You have to come home or you'll be stuck there ( we're down the south coast at the moment). Where did she get this information? Facebook! I' glad the PM put that rumour to be.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:25am
NY Governor Cuomo just ordered that no business in the whole state can have 50% or more of it's staff at their place of work at any given time. Imagine the chaos in supermarkets given current attitudes to shopping.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:37am
Perhaps it can work! I do hope many others follow their lead Clap

Riddells Creek Foodworks
23 hrs ·

URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL CUSTOMERS

FROM THIS POINT ON WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO ENFORCE VERY STRICT CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY INTO OUR STORE.

YOU WILL NOW BE ASKED FOR ID PROOF THAT YOU LIVE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS....

RIDDELLS CREEK..... CLARKFIELD..... MONEGEETTA..... BOLINDA..... ROMSEY..... LANCEFIELD..... SUNBURY RIDDELL RD UP TO AND INCLUDING SETTLEMENT RD (FROM RIDDELLS CREEK END).... GISBORNE..... NEW GISBORNE.....CHEROKEE

WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS WILL CAUSE. UNFORTUNATELY, DUE TO THE CURRENT SITUATION, WE CAN ONLY ACCOMMODATE CUSTOMERS LIVING IN THESE AREAS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. WE WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED

MANAGEMENT

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:52am
That's discrimination Gay - i am sure in this day & age there would be some law against that  LOL
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:50am
I thought it was a gig economy, whatever that is.
seems it was a jit economy, all along
JUST IN TIME ECONOMY
What will be next
OUT OF STOCK
untill saner heads prevail and we become self sufficient.
Wont the younger generations learn a thing or two
If they havnt killed the older ones of.
If they dont they will ALWAYS be vulnerable to the next version of a virus.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:54am
Yes the old JIT . Works well under "normal" conditions....but when something like this comes along................Ouch
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:44am
Most choose to live in cities which do have many advantages over rural areas e.g. entertainment, public transport etc.
Most country people live there because it's affordable or they farm so my question is why should the latter be disadvantaged in tough times, particularly when it's not they who were stockpiling? I say were not because some are now being forced by the influx of non locals
Angry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:23am

Dutton 'coming after' shopping crime gangs

"Highly-organised" black-market sellers are being blamed for the panic-buying phenomenon gripping supermarkets across the nation as police crackdown on those profiteering from the crisis and urge others to dob them in.

Police are launching a massive crackdown on criminal groups hoarding essential items from supermarkets and reselling them overseas as the government plans a targeted home delivery program for the elderly.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton told 2GB's Ray Hadley organised criminal groups were being investigated for depriving everyday Australians of critical groceries. more...

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/shoppers-urged-to-avoid-stockpiling-goods/3972376/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Good old Gloria, there is little doubt that crises bring out the best and worst in people. Unfortunately, the gubmint should have prepared for this early on with rationing programs that are ready to implement. It is obvious that there is no contingency planning for a pandemic, despite it being a known possibility.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:56am
Now essential medical supplies like Ventolin are under the pump ( get it ?) from hoarders. This is a creeping malaise, anyone caught profiteering should be jailed for the duration.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:01am
Doubt Gloria will get too many helpers. Based on what i saw this morning you would be lucky to make $2 per hour under that offer.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:13am
The universe doth provide.

I dropped into my local community garden this morning to drop off some horse poo and lovely Lexi was there watering.  She made me an offer I couldn't refuse - 2 polls of toilet paper for a bag of horse poo for her home garden.  Done deal.

"Where did you get it ?" I asked her

"Who Gives A Crap" she said.

"I get it. Ask no questions get told no lies, nudge, nudge..." I said tapping my nose.

"No, that is the name of the supplier - Who Gives A Crap - they are an online toilet roll supplier. They deliver in packs of 48.  3 ply. 400 sheets a roll.  100% recycled and 50% of the profits go to building toilets in developing countries..."

I checked it.  It is true.  Only trouble is they are sold out too. ..... but I have my preciouses.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:18am
Peter Dutton threatening to land on profiteers like a ton of bricks, it will be like the old song by Laura Branigan…..

"Gloria, Gloria, I think they got your number"

Or would be, if Canberra wasn't full of blow-hards.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:38am
Lee Kuan Yew introduced the death penalty for profiteering , years ago and some were executed .
He turned Singapore around in a big way.
Tried to talk sense into Bob Hawk , but it fell on deaf ears.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:05pm
The feds can't, or won't. stop fraudsters posing as ATO, AFP, NBN, Telstra, major banks etc, in phone scams, that they would act against profiteers I will believe when I see it.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:11pm
people are wandering around supermarkets like lost souls. The shelves are emptying faster than anyone can re-stock.

yesterday, it was biscuits, eggs and yoghurt. Strangely, tuna and salmon were still well-stocked, so I grabbed another two tins. Any protein in a crisis. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:23pm
What a lot of people will run out of, and quickly, is money. A large proportion of the population do not have the ability to withstand sustained lack of income. Sco-Mo & co. no doubt busy on much greater "stimulus" measures.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:30pm
Well I'm down to one gainfully employed out of six.  One with their own business trying to keep something going but party hire!  The others in tourism industry just told to wait it out but house payments and bills still come in.  So I guess I'll be helping out again.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 1:32pm
The Mayor of Canterbury Bankstown council has blasted thieves who have robbed libraries, public centres and the aquatic centre of their toilet paper.

There has been an alarming increase in the amount of toilet paper going missing from 160 council-run facilities in the last month. 

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:54pm
You've been busy JJ.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 1:01pm
we went swimming at Coogee, today...it was pretty busy and no-one seemed to be distancing themselves. In fact, everyone we talked to said they weren't in the least worried. Then we bussed back to Coles, Randwick, where there was hardly anyone (less than two dozen) and some of the shelves actually had a lot of stock on them, including the meat section and eggs. We grabbed two nice pieces of steak to freeze for later (we have a cat who won't eat tinned or dry food), a tray of lamb loin chops and a dozen eggs. 

The lady servicing the meat area said it was madness earlier in the day, but things had quietened and they now had time to re-stock items. We actually had to leave some pet products we will certainly need, simply because we couldn't carry them. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>