Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Cherry Tortoni

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cherry Tortoni
    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:35pm
I'm surpised he doesn't already have a thread Confused Isn't it interesting how some trainers/connections vary in their approach to preparations?

Cherry Ripening for Spring
James Tzaferis

Saturday week's Exford Plate (1400m) at Flemington looms as a fork in the road to the likely spring path for Patrick Payne's undefeated youngster Cherry Tortoni.

The son of Night Of Thunder won a Kerang jumpout on Monday and his trainer, who was in the saddle, said he was pleased with how he's returned to training after a short break following a breakout winter campaign that culminated with victory in the Listed Taj Rossi Series Final (1600m) at Flemington.

While Cherry Tortoni is prominent in all-in markets for both the Caulfield Guineas ($26 with Sportsbet) and the Victoria Derby ($11), Payne said he would only chase a Group 1 scalp if the gelding's early spring form warranted it.

"He quickened up really well and stargazed when he got to the front like he normally does so I'd say he was pretty much in range," Payne said of Monday's hit-out.

"That was his second trial - he had one at Tatura about 14 days ago - so he's ready now and we're planning on running him in the Exford Plate over 1400m.

"It'll be the easy option or the hard option after that, we'll work it out from there.

"I've always been inclined to aim a little lower and take the easier option but we'll see if he puts his hand up."

Payne reported that another of the stable's spring aspirants, Rubisaki, had recovered well from a below-par first-up run in Saturday's Cockram Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield.

"She seems fine," he said.

"She was pretty disappointing, all I can think is that maybe going from soft ground to firm ground, it was a bit of a shock to her system and she didn't let down."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:17pm
Cracking run by this gelding.  Where to next?

The Rosehill Guineas would be the logical target. But his only run in Sydney last spring was the worst run of his career.  I can’t remember what went wrong in the SpringbChampion Stks, maybe didn’t handle racing clockwise?  
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
I would love to see him back up into the cup next week.

I know I have said the 3yo 1600m+ 3yo's are no good, but I think with the weight he could run well and place at least.

Probably go Alister Clark into the Tulloch. Not sure he runs 2500m but that might be the way he goes. 

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:50pm
He’s not nominated for the Aust Cup.  Not sure if there’s a late entry fee though.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:10am
Being a doubt at 2400m, they should have nominated him for the cup.

With no VE, Mugatoo, Sir Dragonet, Arcadia Queen and Melody Belle or Te Akau Shark the race is there for the taking.

Fifty Stars would be the fav and Paradee is in career best form, but there is a reason Waller sent SOTS down to Melbourne, the WFA group are not strong.

If he comes through the race okay Lord I would not even say Avilius would be out of place there. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 3:51pm
Was pretty disappointing in the Alister Clark running only 4th.

Not sure where to now for him?  Assuming nothing wrong is it still worth venturing to Sydney?  Or he could redirected to 3yo races in SA like the Port Adelaide Guineas & Chairman’s Stks?  
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 5:39pm
Possibly one who could have done with the showers hitting a few hours earlier LH.

Seems to have a short sharp sprint, but can peak on his run the last 50-100 metres (see VRC Derby, Hayes Stks, today.) Maybe he's a bit Avilius-like in that he can sustain his turn of foot longer when there's some give in the ground.

Will be interesting to see what ends up being his ideal distance.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 5:47pm
i do not like criticising jockeys, and I do like loyalty, but this horse has the ability to sit closer to the speed and that ride was absolutely purile.

No initiative, giving away a huge amount of start and he was not alone here, but Jamie Kah once again playing fools and idiots with the boys, not men, who were riding in another race.

I understand Payne is loyal to this jockey, but Egan is not a rider you put on group 1 horses. 

I starting to think, also that this horse is a very good miler who can stretch out to 2000m in lesser grade. If he came up for the Doncaster, with a lightweight he could be worth a bob each way.   
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 6:20pm
Patrick stated in Trainer Talk this a.m. they'd been forced to go back due to barriers bur wouldn't be today. Doubt he was a happy chappy watching; along with all the O/O punters Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:24pm
I thought he’d been put away for the Spring after a few mixed runs this autumn.

But he’s bobbed up in the Adelaide Guineas (1600m Listed) at Morphettville on Saturday.

Not sure if this is a one-off mission or a bridging run for a Qld campaign?  

Hopefully shows his best form
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Great placement today by Patrick Payne, easy win in the Adelaide Guineas.

Not really sure where he fits in come the Spring?

Is he up to big miles like the Toorak & Cantala?  I tend to think hes  he’s just a run below that level.

But Patrick is sure to place him astutely.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:32pm
Saw P.Payne be interviewed and he said he was off to the paddock now. 
Loves the Mile at Flemington so would be targeted towards something over the Spring, whether that's Group 1 or not all depends on how the horse comes back.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:03pm
I will be skeptical until the new season 4yo's show their talents, but if Patrick can get him fit enough, he would be a great Makybe Diva hope fresh.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:57pm
Excellent return by CT today over 1400m.

Where do we see him fitting in this Spring?
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:04pm
Maybe in those Group 1 Mile Handicaps (Toorak into Cantala?) Don't reckon he goes as well the Sydney way of going based on his 2 runs up there so maybe the Epsom is unsuitable. But a run on Miler might be his go.

Any give in the track will be an added bonus. Terrific return today.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:50pm
Sandown Stakes 1500m in 2 weeks next run perhaps?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:59pm
He will take on Elephant , that will be a good sense of where he sits against open company, he's up to it imo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Great first up at Flemington, then plain at Sandown.

Noticed he’s now listed as Spelling on Racing Aust website, so Spring over.

Anyone have news on why Spring campaign was curtailed?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 10:25pm
It has been mystery throughout.  He wasn't nominated for any feature race, not even the Golden Eagle, nothing.  I can't imagine why not.

mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:11pm
Bensley posted on Twitter a couple weeks ago that they were heading to The Moonga on Caulfield Cup Day and depending on how he went there they were considering The Cantala.

When he was not nominated for The Moonga i queried it with another racing journo who told me to expect to see him in the Waterford Crystal Mile on Cox Plate Day. When he was not there i checked the RISA website and noticed him "Spelling" also.

I suspect there is an injury issue but it is not confirmed.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Thanks mikey,
It seems strange that he was not nominated for anything major.  It makes me wonder if he has an issue that suggests he wont stand up to a full campaign and is effectively a race to race proposition. 
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:26pm
Yeah i dont know. I was a big fan of Paddy Payne as a jockey, i hope eventually he proves he is just as good a trainer.

I think possibly they gave up on this horse too quickly as a stayer. He was quite strong to the line against the best staying 3yo's in last years VRC Derby and again strong to the line in a leader biased track in the Rosehill Guinea's. He then went to Adelaide and won the Group 2 SA Guinea's in a romp, proving to be a class above that level.

I think if he is sound he is still worthy of being tried at top level, certainly up to 1600- 2000 metres but possibly beyond. Just my opinion and im probably wrong. Lol.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:31pm
Correction, Not Rosehill Guineas - It was The Tulloch Stakes i was thinking of....Young Werther ran 3rd, Cherry Tortoni right on his heels...
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:38pm
Bensley tweeted this an hour ago

Trainer Patrick Payne says four year old Cherry Tortoni requires an easy time over the next couple of weeks after picking up an infection following his last run in the Sandown Stakes.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 10:40am
I like Cherry Tortoni today in R7 at Flemington.

Fitter at 3rd run from a spell, a week back up & rise to 1600m.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 10:56am
He has great stats at the track but gee, 44wks since winning Confused BOL tho' Big smile
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 11:37am
The Winning Post says he’s a Sectional Star 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 12:09pm
Most of Patrick's are as they race well off the pace & get home, similar to Mick Kent's. Douceur, 1st up last week at Flem. had no more than a pipe opener, so look out for her in the next couple esp. if at a price.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 4:22pm
Ready. To. Win. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Ready. To. Win. 
That’s what I thought for today’s race!  

Super effort to come from nowhere to finish 3rd but there won’t be 7/1 odds on offer next time Sleepy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>