Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Carlos Alcaraz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carlos Alcaraz
    Posted: 08 May 2022 at 1:53pm
This kid, who turned 19 only 3 days ago, has just defeated Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic back to back at the Madrid Open to make his way into the final, where he will play Alex Zverev.

He made the 3rd round of the Australian Open where he lost a 5 set match to eventual semi finalist Matteo Berrettini, he also won the Miami open where he defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas and Carlos Rudd.

He's now 3rd fav for the French after his latest run and looks like he could potentially be a kid to fill the breach of the big 3 as they fade away into retirement, I've not watched him but I wonder the thoughts of the more knowledgable tennis minds around here?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 10:11am
Finally. A young player who isn't a pretender.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:10am
Still has a way to go. I’ve watched 4 or 5 of his matches over the last few weeks and he still lacks the consistency of those real top players. Has been times when his level has dropped against players that you would expect him to easily account for. Has looked in trouble several times. That said, the hype is real. Would not surprise for him to win multiple slams. French Open may come too soon, 7x best of 5 sets is a big ask but who knows. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:27pm
Fair point E&E, I mean lets be honest winning slams is as much about getting through the first week while conserving energy as it is about the second week.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:07pm
Yep for sure. He is still in the stage of his career where he is capable of dropping sets to players he should be crushing, which can make it hard come week two. Like Kwon in the first round of Barcelona two weeks back and to a lesser extent Di Minaur in the semis. Don’t get me wrong, I think he will definitely win grand slams (multiple) it’s just that he’s not quite there yet for mine. He will get better with more consistency. Not saying he can’t win in Paris either, just think there are some things against him. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 7:05am
I remember listening to Richard Fidler interview Steve Bradbury for his Conversations show on ABC radio, Bradbury talked about how he could be at his best and defeat the top skaters at lesser events but he couldn't always hit his best at the Olympics and World Championships while these guys could.  An interesting insight into top level sports in general I thought and the same is very true in tennis, the top players know how to have themselves peaking at the right times, both over a year and even within the fortnight window of the slams, I'm sure there are times in the first week of slams that Rafa, Novak and other top players play within themselves to conserve energy aware that a cruise 6-3 set win is beter than 100% effort and winning 6-1.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 11:51am
Fantastic fighting win over Jannik Sinner in the quarter final of the US Open by the young fella yesterday, coming back from 2 sets to 1 and a break down in the 4th to force a deciding set then also coming from a break down to win the 5th set and progress to the semi final.

If he wins his semi final and Casper Rudd is defeated in his, Alcaraz will become the youngest world #1 in history, should Rudd make the final and play Alcaraz then the winner will be the new world #1.

With Federer all but retired and Nadal not far behind him, these young players are rising at the right time and this fella may become the best of them.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 1:34pm
Many thanks Afros, I hate double ups Thumbs Up Well predicted back in May too Clap

Carlos Alcaraz beats Casper Ruud to win US Open final and become youngest ever world number one

Carlos Alcaraz has used his combination of moxie and maturity to beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7/1), 6-3 in the US Open final to earn his first grand slam title at age 19 and become the youngest man to be ranked world number one.

Key points:

• Carlos Alcaraz beat Casper Ruud in four sets to win the US Open and claim his first grand slam
  • Alcaraz occasionally looked tired after a long campaign, but lifted in a third-set tiebreaker and never looked back
  • Ruud has now played and lost two grand slam finals in 2022

Appearing in just his eighth major tournament and second at Flushing Meadows, Alcaraz has already attracted plenty of attention as someone considered the next big thing in men's tennis.

He was serenaded by choruses of "Olé, Olé, Olé! Carlos!" that reverberated off the closed roof at Arthur Ashe Stadium — and Alcaraz often motioned to the supportive spectators to get louder.

He only briefly showed signs of fatigue from having to get through three consecutive five-setters to reach the title match, something no one had done in New York in 30 years.

Alcaraz dropped the second set and faced a pair of set points while down 6-5 in the third. But he erased each of those point-from-the-set opportunities for Ruud with the sorts of quick-reflex, soft-hand volleys he repeatedly displayed.

And with help from a series of shanked shots by a tight-looking Ruud in the ensuing tiebreaker, Alcaraz surged to the end of that set.

Carlos Alcaraz has held his nerve and edged out Casper Ruud in a tie-break to lead two sets to one.(Getty Images: Al Bello)

One break in the fourth was all it took for Alcaraz to seal the victory in the only grand slam final between two players seeking both a first major championship and the top spot in the ATP's computerised rankings, which date to 1973.

Ruud, the 23-year-old from Norway, is now 0-2 in slam finals. He was the runner-up to Rafael Nadal at the French Open in June.

The dream becomes reality.@carlosalcaraz is a Grand Slam champion. pic.twitter.com/sPFaAiVFNR

— US Open Tennis (@usopen) September 11, 2022

Ruud stood way back near the wall to return serve, but also during the course of points, much more so than Alcaraz, who attacked when he could.

Alcaraz went after Ruud's weaker side, the backhand, and found success that way, especially while serving.

Alcaraz certainly seems to be a rare talent, possessing an enviable all-court game, a blend of groundstroke power with a willingness to push forward and close points with his volleying ability. He won 34 of 45 points when he went to the net.

He is a threat while serving — he delivered 14 aces at up to 128mph on Sunday -- and returning, earning 11 break points, converting three.

When one last service winner glanced off Ruud's frame, Alcaraz dropped to his back on the court, then rolled over onto his stomach, covering his face with his hands.

Carlos Alcaraz won his first grand slam singles title, and became world number one at just 19 years old. (AP: Charles Krupa)

Then he went into the stands for hugs with his team, including coach Juan Carlos Ferrero, a former number one himself who won the French Open in 2003 and reached the final of that year's US Open.

You only get to number one for the first time once. You only win a first grand slam title once. But many folks expect Alcaraz to be celebrating these sorts of feats for years to come.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 3:30pm
All good Gay, like I said in the other thread I just couldn't resist the chance to have fun with it

I really only picked him out because of the beating Nadal and Djokovic back to back at just 19, that alone marks a kid as special, I also like the way he plays however, he isn't afraid to take a shot at hitting winners but seems also content and more than capable of holding in the rally and wait for his opportunity, the kid will be at the top for a long time I feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply