Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Boxing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

His style of boxing also made it hard to get exposure in the States. He would be booed out of the ring over there

"The great Sugar Ray Leonard, right now, if he was boxing, the way that they want you to fight, the people that pull the strings of the puppet, he would be boring today. Ray Robinson – the great Robinson – would be boring today…Because the feeders of the people that buy entertainment. They're being fed that if they duck, don't buy it. If they're slick, and they beat [their opponent] nine out of the 12 rounds, and the guy just can't hit him because they were slick and smart enough to hit and not get hit, 'He's not crowd-pleasing, he don't sell tickets.' Because they done fed the followers and they done fed [that] to the customers. The customers will drink anything that you give them if it's promoted right…But when you take away the skill and you take away the slick, and you take away the boxing ability and say that's not entertaining, or that's not entertainment, then, to me, it's like trying to erase a culture that you know has dominated the sport way back then where you were slick. And I'm talking about black fighters. Yes, I said it", said Hopkins.

Not sure about Sugar Ray Leonard being regarded as boring in any vintage. His combinations were magnificent. And I hope no ones trying to compare Mundines style to Sugar Rays.....PLEEZ !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
Beautiful to watch, loved his "bolo punch" too.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

All about even matching and BLOOD ..

Why else is the cage fighting an attraction.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Don't attract me young fella, wouldn't watch em even if they fought in my back yard.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:23am
   XXX    TELL ME

Does anyone want me to start a thread ,   and prepare a round by round quick word during the Fight.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:16am
I wouldn't mind Macca, in case you took my above post off key it was in reference to UFC , not exactly my cup of tea but I'm a fan of boxing fwiw.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:32am

Is fascinating to see different martial arts and strategies being used and which ones win.  Boxing, ju jitsu, wrestling . Brazilian ju jitsu, judo, muy thai,  

The most effective style seems to be wrestling, Ben Askren is the best example.  College wrestler, gets his opponents to the ground by diving at their feet, game over they are as defenceless as babies after that.  Boring and unpopular style but super effective
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:21pm

I wouldn't mind Macca, in case you took my above post off key it was in reference to UFC , not exactly my cup of tea but I'm a fan of boxing fwiw.

All being well .   I'll start a thread ..    and prepare a round by round

Repeat of the ringside views . .
    I've done it before for Horne's fights .

If my comp and me are functioning.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:45pm
Is Mundine any realistic chance here? I listen to the UBET sports breakfast show of the way to work each morning and they have been saying there is some decent money for him.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 2:05pm
Difficult one to judge but $5 does look overs. 

Horne is a bit like old Jeff Harding, he wears them down with his face, and he copped a mauling last start. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Difficult one to judge but $5 does look overs. 

Horne is a bit like old Jeff Harding, he wears them down with his face, and he copped a mauling last start. 

The risky bad eyes of Horne do make Mundine overs.
He didn't get a serious mauling last time , The referee saved him from That
The best lb for lb in the world was too quick and classy for him and is undefeated thus far . Surprised me .     So Horn has competed with some good ones really.
The rise in the weight division is a huge plus for him , while a minus for Mundine ,   Who looks dehydrated already and still has weight to lose .
   At 43 and weakened in saunas , I expect Horn to belt shxt out of him.

Mundine has been /is a super athlete . We can't take that away from him.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 3:22pm
Mundine easily made weight after losing 7kg, then celebrated with a bit of ham for the cameras.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 3:38pm
Mundine's will retire from boxing after this fight.LOL But being a boxer, first retirement doesn't count.Ouch
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Mundine's will retire from boxing after this fight.LOL But being a boxer, first retirement doesn't count.Ouch

He can sure draw a crowd .

Sell out, expected to break all previous records , viewer wise.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:27pm
How many retirements has he had now? 7-8? 

I reckon he still has another Danny Green absolutely last fight in him, or a Horne rematch if they can engineer a 12 round close result.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

How many retirements has he had now? 7-8? 

I reckon he still has another Danny Green absolutely last fight in him, or a Horne rematch if they can engineer a 12 round close result.

Good dollars are in this match up.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:37pm
And good dollars in a follow up as long as one of them doesn't go silly and try too hard in this one.
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:45pm
Looking forward to it very much. Go the man!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
I cant get excited about this contest.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:15pm
I heard yesterday that it’s the 2nd biggest pay for view ever!

I don’t get it, what is he 43?

Nil interest here.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:20pm
Means squat all whoever wins. Just hope Mundine moves on after this & resurrects his NRL career Confused
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Means squat all whoever wins. Just hope Mundine moves on after this & resurrects his NRL career Confused

The fight has many Vs like first post.

Hence the interest rather than pure boxing itself.

It's pure theatre and drama.

Mundine looking to get into the ring with Connor McGregor next.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:01pm
Wonderful job by mundine today throating Horn, that is why the only real imterest is how badly Horn opens him up fight time , white towel will get a work out imo.
The years of great boxing ie Sugar Ray , Tommy Hearns , Marvin Hagler Roberto Duran are long gone .
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:43pm
I only became interested in Ali's career this year.
Naturally with that amout of fame, you know he is damn good, some say one of the greatest sports people of all time, if not the greatest.
But I didnt really how truly magical Ali was.
His footwork.
The way he would bob and weave, tilt to miss a punch, then tilt while tilting, 2 punches missing, then in a heartbeat after 2 tilts, he dances to the side and goes BANG.
He sure was something else.
I also didnt realise how many punches he could unleash in seconds.
So not only were his opponents normally missing him, he would hit back tenfold connecting.

Mundine sure does look in good shape for this fight. That took some decent discipline. Based on that, it will be close. Mundine isnt exactly a hack.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:45pm
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 9:15pm

They can actually fight, I mean a pro wrestler beat Ali without being allowed to grapple.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:35am
Went and saw Creed II tonight.

Hope it's better than that fight!

Won't spoil it for anyone, but it was Sly's last Rocky movie apparently ... guess who won!Wink
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:42am
I went and saw a good film Doc,   Widows

Based on a Lynda  La Plante book and a British TV series of a few years back.

Unlike most films  these days it was not a disappointment
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 1:33am
Saw the shorts for Widows Whale - looks like a strong female cast, on my list now.Thumbs Up

Daughter took the missus to see A Star Is Born - they both raved about it - they loved the two leads - Cooper showed another dimension, and Lady Gaga blew them both away - now I'll have to watch it.

Bohemian Rhapsody hard to top though - I'll go and see that again!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>