Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Belle Famille

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belle Famille
    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:42am
Hi All,
a Mate of mine has got divorced and it has been messy
So what did he do he ran his mate and said I am going to buy a mare and breed a derby winner
A bloke has an mare down the road and Blah blah SO I SAID STOP

I re engaged with him minus a substantial amount of Wine (in him)
and we agreed for me to give him a list of likely types from the next Inglis on line sale and he purchased Belle Famille for 10k in foal to Fiorente.

As we know it was trained by Moody out here and was average placed a heap but did not win

Any WA or other ideas appreciated

Ciao Baz

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm
Which particular Inglis sale did he go through Oldflight?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm
...she go through...
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by oldflight oldflight wrote:

Hi All,
a Mate of mine has got divorced and it has been messy
So what did he do he ran his mate and said I am going to buy a mare and breed a derby winner
A bloke has an mare down the road and Blah blah SO I SAID STOP

I re engaged with him minus a substantial amount of Wine (in him)
and we agreed for me to give him a list of likely types from the next Inglis on line sale and he purchased Belle Famille for 10k in foal to Fiorente.

As we know it was trained by Moody out here and was average placed a heap but did not win

Any WA or other ideas appreciated

Ciao Baz

Am I right that to get over a messy divorce he decided to breed a Derby winner ? Strange connection, if he is loaded no problem, but if not, I could think of something better to do with my money after a divorce.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Which particular Inglis sale did he go through Oldflight?

www.snowshoecats.webs.com
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:11pm
An interesting one could be Palentino with his Sir Ivor blood to cross to Secretariat.  Plus Prince Rose blood which is well back (in anything these days) but Prince Rose's son Prince Chevalier got a  Epsom Derby winner from this female line - Arctic Prince.  The dam of Palentino is by Palace Music who is out of a daughter of Prince John by Princequill by Prince Rose.  The next dam is by the Derby Winning Sovereign Red a son of Sir Tristram who is a son of Isolt a daughter of Round Table by Princequillo (Prince Rose)  and as an added bonus you find Sir Ivor the son of Sir Gaylord the other great son of Somethingroyal (dam also of Secretariat) who is also in your mare.

Probably the best of the recent winners from this female line is Cherokee Rose (by Dancing Brave).  She wasn't a stayer but she was very fast.  Similar to Cable Bay who also is this family. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:11pm
Found her a hard mare to match.

If she's now in WA would consider Oratorio as the family appears to have an affinity with his grand-sire Nureyev.  Or Maschino simply because he's so well bred and very promising as a stallion.

Might be struggling to win a Derby though, more likely a WA Guineas.  Wink
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:15pm
Yes it seems more a family which can swing both ways.  But to breed a stayer might just breed too much speed out and that's dead in the water in AUS.  War Chant is another one interesting over in WA>
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
Highly recommend finding something that throws early maturing types.  We have this mare's Canford Cliffs gelding, now a 4yo and still very much a baby.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:54am
This is the female family of Volksraad.  There have been a couple of other well-performed runners with Green Desert, Cable Bay being one of them.  This mare has a full sister who produced a Gr-3 stakes winner in England to Holy Roman Emperor.  https://www.pedigreequery.com/maureen11 ; Unfortunately he's not in Australia anymore, but that solidifies my feeling that breeding back to Somethingroyal via Secretariat and Sir Gaylord works for this female line.  

If Cable Bay is a possibility (I know, distance is a thing), he brings in Green Desert and breeds back to Welsh Garden via her best daughter's best daughter (Celtic Assembly - Cherokee Rose).  He's in Victoria, though.

In WA, I really, really, really like Playing God on paper.  Blackfriars quality and a lovely line to Sir T. via Grosvenor.  
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:30pm
Hi All,
So Mate decided to go to Playing God and his three young girls all under 12 were so exited about being horse aunty's.
I explained Campasie's suggestion about early types, but mind made up, Kimberly Mine sways the call, mare off to the farm now standing Playing God.
Mate ring Insurance company they say can not insure mare but will insure foal once it stands and drinks, then insure mare after that.

Fast Forward music insert

Lunch time phone call mare found in paddock dead, foal dead, foal tore uterine wall while foaling, inside foaling window, unknown monitoring, happen during daylight hours.
so be it
Mick puts on strong face for Kids

so is there an upside

I sit mate down and we look at early Oct Inglis sale and buy a half sister to a French Derby winner for $600

Only mare in the Aus Stud book by Highest Honour with a pretty good page in my humble
Delisha (FR)

We have had massive help from 3rd millennium thoroughbreds (Cheers Ray) you are a legend
will be covered by Al Maher this season. probably before the next week is out.

But what of next season please any ideas
So as a collective if we thought Belle Famille was hard to match

this one is a hard mark to hit (well for me anyway)

any thoughts welcome open to any suggestion 20k max

Ciao For Now Flight

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:10pm
My thoughts are,  whatever stud the mare was at needs a wake up call.  How can that happen ?    Who was doing foal watch ?    Someone needs a kick up the clacker.  
animals before people.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:23am
Oldflight, wow.  I'm so sorry.  Poor mare.

As for Delisha, your mare is not hard to match -- she's just on the wrong side of the wrong country to make it easy. 

This is the female family of Almanzor, by a grandson of Zafonic, and champion 2yo filly Darjina by Zafonic's full brother Zamindar.  The best Zafonic blood in the region is in New Zealand, with Almanzor himself, Ribchester, and Turn Me Loose all in the Waikato district.  Also in NZ is the marvellous Zed, who would be a similar cross to Ironstein, by Zabeel from the same family as your mare, the equally marvellous Reliable Man, and Raise the Flag who IMO is the best pure staying stallion in AUS/NZ.

If going over the ditch isn't realistic (and it's probably not),  the best in WA for this mare and what you're trying to do is Jimmy Choux.  Highest Honor's best son is Hong Kong champion stayer California Memory, who is out of a Spinning World mare.  Jimmy Choux and Delisha would be a reverse cross of that mating.   Several of Highest Honor's daughters have produced very well with that duplication of Never Bend.
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 4:33pm
Hi Crew,
I thought a half sister to a French Derby winner would get some interest?
Her dam is a half sister to the grand dam of Almanzor
A few ideas would be great
I like her a lot and the highland Reel is a cracking type

All help appreciated, we are honest simple folk just a few thoughts would be good

Cheers Old Flight

Have the greatest Christmas
ciao Baz

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 4:46pm
Merry Christmas OldFlight. Will look into it when one gets home.
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply