Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Barry Squair - Love You Lucy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barry Squair - Love You Lucy
    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 7:21pm
Wins the G2 Dane Ripper with his 1st ever runner in a group race as he's never had one good enough 'till yesterday & was still riding work 7weeks ago at aged 79 LOL What a legend & with a stable of 3 horses Clap
I heard him on RSN this morning, apparently he tipped her to all & sundry in a Thursday Bris. radio interview!

Battered Barry loves Lucy after Dane Ripper triumph

Battered Barry loves Lucy after Dane Ripper triumph
Barry Squair. Photo: Michael McInally/Racing Queensland

Ben Dorries

Love You Lucy ended Barry Squair’s trackwork riding career when she gashed his hand and dislocated his shoulder but the mare paid him back in spades when she upset the big names in the Group II Dane Ripper Stakes.

Squair, 79, has been chasing his racing dreams for more than six decades firstly as the leading rider on the Darling Downs and then since turning his hand to training three decades ago.

He had never saddled up a horse in a Group race before so it was a career highlight when feisty mare Love You Lucy, who also won the Listed Silk Stocking on the Gold Coast in January, stormed home to score at $41 in the Dane Ripper (1400m).

Squair turns 80 in October and his wife Valerie has now banned him from riding trackwork after four-year-old Love You Lucy was a bad girl and dumped him earlier in the year.

“I dislocated my shoulder and my wife said no more riding,” Squair chuckled after winning the Dane Ripper.

Squair, who only trains small team at Toowoomba, won plenty of hearts post race when he answered a phone call from his wife during a live television interview on Sky Racing.

He was in the bad books with his wife earlier in the year after the trackwork accident and might be again after hanging up on her during the live interview after Love You Lucy's boilover win.

Glen Colless, who was riding Love You Lucy as Mark Du Plessis had chosen to ride more fancied contender Outback Barbie, came from well back in the field and dived up on the inside to get past fellow roughie River Racer ($26) and Winter Bride ($5 fav) in the Eagle Farm straight.

“I said don’t let her go early, ride her quiet,” Squair said.

“Then I said see if you can get her to outside, but he has come up the inside.”

Love You Lucy was the last leg of a monster quaddie which paid $230,865 on the NSW tote.

In Good Time ($61 in the Ascot Handicap), Vanna Girl ($2.10 fav in The Roses) and Gaulois ($9.50 in the Eagle Farm Mile) were the winners in the previous three legs of the Eagle Farm quaddie.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 7:48pm
Gonna say, he was riding about 60 years ago, had to be a fossil.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:38am
I took his tip.   Have not had a bet since lock down.  So lashed out.   10 EW.   Thank You Lucy  Thumbs Up
So whats wrong with a fossil ??  

animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:43am
Nothing, AA   
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:01pm
This was a Prince Of Penzance price!

Not sure how she started at $41.00 because her Silk Stocking win was good, and she ran well last start.

Surely she keeps racing now and aims at the Eyeliner and Glasshouse if they are still on!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 2:34pm
I remember Barry from when I was a child in Toowoomba.He has definitely waited for his turn.thesethings are what I enjoy most in racing and I hope there are more good things abead for Mr and Mrs. Squair.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by early4lunch early4lunch wrote:

I remember Barry from when I was a child in Toowoomba.He has definitely waited for his turn.thesethings are what I enjoy most in racing and I hope there are more good things abead for Mr and Mrs. Squair.
I remember him too early4lunch and it makes me feel a little oldLOLhe is what I would call the salt of the earth types, great call.
 Post Reply Post Reply