Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Tennis Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Tennis Open
    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
As R. Nadal and A. Barty are both at $10 on Betfair to win their respective men�s and women�s singles , who would you rather have a lazy $100 on to win ?

Edited by Gay3 - 27 Jan 2024 at 6:06pm
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 7:23am
Neither of them. 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 10:06am
They are saying court is faster and skiddier this year which won't help Nadal but will help Barty. 

Nadal is never a good bet at Aus Open. Last bet I had on tennis was $200 Nadal 10/1 2008 and bloody Tsonga knocked him out.Angry
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 12:02pm
Panic has again struck the Vic. govt with media expectations of a hard 5 day lockdown similar to that in August so it'll be interesting to see what eventuates re. the Open Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 1:40pm
Just announced... tennis and broadcasting will continue but no fans starting tomorrow. Full refunds for all tickets.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 2:01pm
I just saw 5 double faults in one service game. Gotta love ladies tennis.LOL

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
And Barty has a "hammy".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 2:06pm
What's the story with the sky high ball toss you often see on women's serves? Who is teaching them that? Study the best servers. They don't have high ball tosses.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

What's the story with the sky high ball toss you often see on women's serves? Who is teaching them that? Study the best servers. They don't have high ball tosses.

totally agree. It makes the serve a case of Russian Roulette and promotes double faults...

When I was covering tennis, thirty years ago, this was a topic of discussion, yet nothing changes. 

Ermm
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 3:26pm

THERE is too much money at stake for tennis to ever be considered a source of comedic genius, but just occasionally over the years there have been moments of gaiety.

Here are five.

1. “Sure, on a given day I could beat him. But it would have to be a day he had food poisoning.” US player MEL PURCELL on IVAN LENDL.

2. ANDRE AGASSI to ANDY RODDICK: “Let’s see what you’ve got, big boy.” Roddick’s reply: “Hair.”

3. “Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts’, probably lost.” MARTINA NAVRATILOVA.

4. “Sex doesn’t interfere with your tennis. It’s staying out all night trying to find it that does.” ANDRE AGASSI.

5. “If you’re against a girl with big boobs, make her play backhand at the net. That’s the hardest shot for the well endowed.” BILLIE JEAN KING.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 3:44pm
Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm
What happened? Barty cruising to victory. Opponent takes a 10 minute injury break then crushes Barty. Either some miracle medical treatment took place behind closed doors or Barty has the concentration level of a 2yo.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:47pm
Maybe the dodgy hammy tightened up during the 10 minute break.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm
Why I never bet on women’s tennis. Simply impossible to predict. And today was a prime example. Well done to anyone who layed Barty at 1.02 when that injury timeout was occurring. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
Pegula's father is a fracking  multi-billionaire and owns the Buffalo Bills with his wife.

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
After watching both the presentation ceremonies of the Women's and Men's Singles at the Australian Open I am a little confused.

During both presentations Tennis Australia president, Jayne Hrdlicka, thanked the “extraordinary sacrifice” for everyone over the past year, she mentioned that, “with vaccinations on the way, rolling out in many countries around the world, it’s now a time for optimism and hope for the future.”

At the Women's presentation Hrdlicka was cheered and roundly applauded by the crowd for those comments,  however when she made the same reference in her speech at the Men's presentation it brought audible boos that echoed throughout the stadium .

I can only put those differing reactions to who made up the attendance at each match.... Nova  Djokovic supporters were not at the Women's final.

Djokovic is a known aniti-vaxer and did not bother even to wear a mask when entering the stadium whereas his opponent Medvedev did as did both women in their final. It appears Djokovic, due to his perverse reasoning for avoiding vaccinations, has been able to convince his rabid and vocal supporters of the same reasoning that resulted into booing  of Hrdlicka's comments.

Are those Djokovic supporters that stupid, that they blindly follow him because he can play tennis  and may have no other redeeming features, or am I the one confused ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:21am
No surprise that anti-vaxxer Djokovic attracts nutters and loonies.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:52pm
Djokovic,  Nadal, Federer have won a total of 58 Grand Slams. Male players under thirty have won a total of 1.LOL And that was a flukeLOL - Djokovic disqualified,  Nadal not there and Federer injured.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:49pm
 his supporters are as obnoxious as he is. 

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
Bit like the "N (d) ick heads " . 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:27pm
I prefer to give credit where it's due & Novak has played sensational tennis for many years now, also making an effort to overcome anger amanagement issues up there with those of our wacker (forget his name - again LOL)
His oppenent was extremely gracious in defeat which Novak reciprocated. Anyone who can win a Grand Slam in 3 sets with a 2 1/2cm tear in a stomach muscle, has to be mentally & physically tough, regardless of treatments.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:05pm
Interesting BB unearthed that about Djokovic being an anti-vaxxer, certainly no media mention I saw. Maybe that did play a part in the boos.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:58pm
From an interview in August

“I see that the international media has taken that out of context a little bit, saying that I am completely against vaccines of any kind,” he said. “My issue here with vaccines is if someone is forcing me to put something in my body. That I don’t want. For me that’s unacceptable. I am not against vaccination of any kind, because who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world? I’m sure that there are vaccines that have little side effects that have helped people and helped stop the spread of some infections around the world.”

But Djokovic did express concern about potential issues with a coronavirus vaccine.

“How are we expecting that to solve our problem when this coronavirus is mutating regularly from what I understand?” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/sports/tennis/djokovic-us-open.html

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:48am
Djokovic dad says his son will not be blackmailed and will very likely miss the Australian Open.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Djokovic dad says his son will not be blackmailed and will very likely miss the Australian Open.

And if he chooses not to come that is his right. This is freedom of choice being exercised! 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
What a crank Djokovic is. As if being vaccinated is a deep dark secret. Is he trying to keep his anti-vaxx cred?Wacko

Mark my words - Djokovic would crawl over broken glass to get to his best grand slam and get to number 21 - you ain't fooling anyone, fool.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:12am
Exactly! The “it’s none of your business” line is a total loan of nonsense. One way or the other the entire world will know his vaccination status come early January.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:22pm
He may be hoping that he can force a backpedal so they allow him to play without being vaccinated?

I tend to agree with tlaz, he'll eventually give in and be vaccinated, #21 is to important to him.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
I'll back that out Aspro.      > On principle people are withdrawing from the vaccination queue's.
    Time to go to war and fight for our freedoms.
That is a bigger danger to Australia than the OMIGOD strain Covid evolving.

We Humans are mutating all the time too you know.
Like Covid , we have to evolve to cope with the changing conditions .
Humans may be dodging Climate change , while covid is trying to avoid vaccinations ...

To think I give you all this knowledge for nothing.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:41pm
Why is this vaccine  so much worse than all the others that are administered without fuss?

If it’s a point of principle, why aren’t all the nut bags refusing ALL vaccines?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>