Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australia Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia Day
    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
Happy Australia Day to all members of TBV, although I doubt you will get that greeting from too many in the community for today has taken in a different meaning over the past few years amongst some  aggrieved indigenous. The sad thing about this is that some large business in Australia will promote Halloween, an American tradition, above Australia Day in order to increase sales of their products. You can bet in some shops Halloween costumes will be promoted yet an Australian flag will not be sighted on those particular times.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:51am
Yes Bob, the joints a joke. Totally agree 

Look forward to the news tonight, how many rioters will there be
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:55am
In saying that I’m sure they will be mostly peaceful 
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:31am
I'm not sure about the choice of Australian of the Year, a young woman from Tasmania, raped by a teacher at age 13. She just oozes unresolved anger. Suffering the crime is bad enough, giving yourself a life sentence for it, is just dumb, the perpetrator is probably out of jail, society has decided it is "over", why be the last one to recognize it ? If only Whale was here to accuse me of supporting pedophiles, but the reality is that the only thing that brings healing, is awareness, not visceral reactions being recycled a thousand times. That only hurts yourself.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
it was Tragic what happened to her Max but you are also right.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:51am
Tend to agree with Max on this.  What a strange choice for Aust Of The Year ?  Most of us have never heard of her, and apart from her very dreadful situation, what has she actually done for Aust ?  Which I thought this was what this award was all about ? Srevice to Australia ?
Did she get chosen because she was raped or what ?  Totally confusing for me.
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:54am
She changed the law in Tasmania, now she's an advocate.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:55am
Love that word “advocate”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:56am
What law ?  Advoccate for what ?   Most of us have never heard of her.  Whats her name so I can google ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:56am
Rupert should be tarred and feathered then thrown into a prison cell for what he's done but do you hear me complain about his silly gong?Big smile

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:59am
But you cared enough to complain about Margaret Court

That’s a rather odd thought process 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

No I didn't.

Simon Cameron

marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:01am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I'm not sure about the choice of Australian of the Year, a young woman from Tasmania, raped by a teacher at age 13. She just oozes unresolved anger. Suffering the crime is bad enough, giving yourself a life sentence for it, is just dumb, the perpetrator is probably out of jail, society has decided it is "over", why be the last one to recognize it ? If only Whale was here to accuse me of supporting pedophiles, but the reality is that the only thing that brings healing, is awareness, not visceral reactions being recycled a thousand times. That only hurts yourself.

I don't know how you put yourself in her head Max. "unresolved anger". Seems to me like she has resolved quite a bit. 

"She is a regular guest speaker for high-profile events and television programs and uses her media profile to advocate for other vulnerable groups in the community."

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:01am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

What law ?  Advoccate for what ?   Most of us have never heard of her.  Whats her name so I can google ?

At 15, Grace Tame was groomed and raped by her 58-year-old teacher at a private girls' school in Hobart.

Her abuser was jailed for his crimes, but Ms Tame was not able to speak about her experience publicly under Tasmania's sexual assault victim gag laws, despite the perpetrator and media being free to do so.

She became the hidden face and catalyst of the #LetHerSpeak campaign, a victim who could not be shown or named in the media.

Assisted by the campaign, Ms Tame applied to the Supreme Court for the right to publicly self-identify as a rape survivor and won, before going on to advocate for others.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/2021-australian-of-the-year-award-recipients-named/13089884

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:01am
Full marks to her for being instrumental in changing a ridiculous law, the statute books are full of them. But being consumed by anger is a poor example to others. What do they say, don't get angry, get even, society presumably "got even" with her perpetrator. Perish the thought she wants to perpetuate victimhood, that is a weakness, not a strength.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

No I didn't.

Yes you did. You even started the thread about it Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:07am
******I don't know how you put yourself in her head Max. "unresolved anger".*******

Did you see the acceptance speech ? The anger was palpable. Perish the thought it was theatrics, I took it as a sure sign she was still in the initial stages of processing. Don't give some pathetic pedophile that ability to keep hurting you.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:09am
Not complaining - observing. I could not care less how many old reactionaries get gongs. Give one to the whole Sky after dark team = one for you and it will only cause mirth for me.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:09am

Not complaining - observing. I could not care less how many old reactionaries get gongs. Give one to the whole Sky after dark team + one for you and it will only cause mirth for me.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:14am

Not complaining - observing. I could not care less how many old reactionaries get gongs. Give one to the whole Sky after dark team = one for you and it will only cause mirth for me.Wink

That does just prove you do care.

Kumbaya Mate, Kumbaya

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:18am
I don't think Shrunk knows what complain/complaint means.Wink

Simon Cameron

marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:19am

******I don't know how you put yourself in her head Max. "unresolved anger".*******

Did you see the acceptance speech ? The anger was palpable. Perish the thought it was theatrics, I took it as a sure sign she was still in the initial stages of processing. Don't give some pathetic pedophile that ability to keep hurting you.

have to agree to disagree Max - she may be angry towards the peddo that raped her but she has survived this shocking trauma and has still managed to rebuild her life and help others.
Far more deserving than some famous sportsman
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:19am
I know exactly what you were doing.

Just own it 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
caught a spot of the Channel 9 Today show, with Brooke Boney, a journalist who works on the show, proclaiming herself a "proud aboriginal woman" and banging about about the horrors of Jan 26 1788. She has a light complexion, so I don't know what recognition she gives the seeming majority of her genes, they must feel completely left out. Just madness. It reeks of insecurity.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

have to agree to disagree Max - she may be angry towards the peddo that raped her but she has survived this shocking trauma and has still managed to rebuild her life and help others.
Far more deserving than some famous sportsman
I would be more impressed if she had resolved the anger aspect, as I say, there is only one thing that heals, awareness, particularly self-awareness. Anger is a spur, but like riding a horse, the point is reached when the spur becomes counter-productive.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Happy Australia Day to all members of TBV, although I doubt you will get that greeting from too many in the community for today has taken in a different meaning over the past few years amongst some  aggrieved indigenous. The sad thing about this is that some large business in Australia will promote Halloween, an American tradition, above Australia Day in order to increase sales of their products. You can bet in some shops Halloween costumes will be promoted yet an Australian flag will not be sighted on those particular times.

How many divisive threads do you want to start ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

How many divisive threads do you want to start ? 

How many has he started?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:31am
And you never have anything but hatred a vile to add to any of these threads. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:32am
Oh djebel, "Be Best" as Melania says !
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:36am
Happy AUSTRALIA DAY everyone. I hope you all enjoy the AUSTRALIA DAY triple header in the big bash this arvo/evening. I for one love cricket on AUSTRALIA DAY.
Time is a flat circle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>