Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

banner ad

Australasia's leading money earners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 36 minutes ago at 3:12pm
CADIZ (NZ) ch. Gelding, 1956 (TARGUI (FR) - INFINITY (NZ) by AIRWAY (GB)) - 101 Starts, 22 Wins, 10 Places, 14 Shows Career Earnings: $283,320 + 10,110 Pounds NZ & 2,700 pounds Aust
-
Sponsored Links
banner ad

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 6 minutes ago at 3:42pm
Thanks Grey Affair and Brudder A,

I am astonished that I am astonished.  I thought I knew Peter Pring's books inside out but this boy ( well, he was gelded AA) has got by me.  He is not in the NZ Hall of Fame.  He doesn't appear in any top 100 lists of the 20th century.  His name never comes up in discussions ( and there have been plenty in the past 20 years ) about the performance of Australasian horses overseas.  He just seems to be a forgotten horse.  I could understand it if he was bred in NZ but wholly raced in the USA but his NZ career was substantial and his Australian career while limited was distinguished.  He is certainly one of 'ours'.

The first thing that crosses my mind is how many lengths better Tulloch was than Cadiz by any measure and just what the Mighty Atom would have done in the USA if they had gone that way.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 56 minutes ago at 3:52pm
I am a bit the same, Tontonan.  I have to admit I have never heard of him !  And what a record he has !!  I wonder where he ended his days.
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 40 minutes ago at 4:08pm
Same sire as the great Lord if my memory is correct . 
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 34 minutes ago at 4:14pm
A couple more interest notes about Cadiz's runnings in the US.

At Del Mar in the San Diego Handicap Cadiz finished third to Windy Sands (another fine horse who would later become 6-time Champion Sire in California) who set a new track record for the 8 1/2 furlongs event.

Two weeks later the Bing Crosby Handicap (6 furlongs on dirt) was run in 2 divisions at Del Mar.
Cadiz came second after leading to Crazy Kid who set a World Record for the distance at 1:07 4/5 by a margin 1 3/4 lengths after tiring late.

In 1963 when Cadiz scored a boilover in the Hollywood Gold Cup, the young (later Californian Champion) Native Diver finished 4th. Native Diver would win this event three times in his career (1965-67).

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 19 minutes ago at 4:29pm
Also something I found most interesting while looking at Cadiz was that the VRC Linlithgow was run on Oaks Day as a 1 mile event.

1958 winner Wiggle went to the US so did the 1959 winner Noholme and then also Cadiz.

Linithgow was shortened to 7 furlongs in 1969 when Vain won it then to 1200 meters in 1992.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 30 minutes ago at 6:18pm
That is what astonishes me.  I have had lengthy discussions about the trend of trading horses to the US from the 1930's to the 1960's, and especially after the war.  I could rattle of lists of them - but Cadiz name never come up. 

The one mile Linlithgow replaced the old VRC Flying Stakes in 1908 and between 1887 and 1907 the Flying Stakes was run at 7 furlongs (prior to that it was 6 furlongs from its inception in 1868).  So it has come full circle. 
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 46 minutes ago at 1:02am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Same sire as the great Lord if my memory is correct . 

Your memory serves you well.  While reading about Cadiz's win in the Linlithgow it seemed punters had a bad day. 

The Canberra Times reported -

" Two races look foregone
conclusions, and punters will
find screaming hot favourites.
Wenona Girl, the best filly
seen for ages, is a long odds
on pop in the Oaks, while
Victoria's best w.f.a. galloper,
Lord looks to have the Linlithgow 
Stakes at his mercy."

Both were beaten.

The Linlithgow was a bogey race for Lord.  He contested three Linlithgows and each time he was beaten out of a place by Wiggle, Noholme and Cadiz.

Cadiz lead all the way to win by 3 lengths to My Peak with Mintaway a further 6 lengths behind.  

Wenona Girl was scratched from the Linlithgow to contest the Oaks that day but Lady Sybil was the superior stayer on the heavy track.  Lady Sybil won 7 of her 8 starts that soggy Spring all on Slow and heavy tracks including the Moonee Valley Stakes, the Edward Manifold, the Caulfield Guineas, Oaks and Sandown Guineas.  Her only defeat came in the 1000 Guineas on a good track when she was beaten a head by Wenona Girl.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic