Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Archie Alexander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archie Alexander
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 12:59am

Archie Alexander

OTI seem to like him ?

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Sep 2018 at 1:51pm
reductio ad absurdum
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 1:36am
From the Telegragh in the UK,

----------------------------------------

There are not many British trainers in Australia, but the ranks are about to be swelled by Archie Alexander, 27, who is setting up at Ballarat, north-west of Melbourne on July 1. He has been at Ascot this week saying goodbye and touting for business.

Talk about over-qualified, Alexander, the son of Hamish Alexander, who pin-hooked the 1991 Derby winner Generous as a foal, left school at 16, spent four years with Criquette Head, one year with Todd Pletcher, three more with Mark Johnston and a year each with Danny O’Brien and finally Aidan O’Brien.

He cites prize-money - a minimum £4,500 to the winner - and the Aussie penchant for giving youth a chance as his reasons. He already has the not inconsiderable backing of Terry Henderson and former cricketer Simon O’Donnell whose OTI Racing is one of the biggest syndicate businesses down under.

-----------------------

Started training in Australia at Ballarat on July 1 2014.

tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:18am
believe he also spent time with Lloyd at some stage.

check out alexanderracing.com.au

ABOUT US

Photo of Simon 310303

Archie's decision to start training racehorses – in Ballarat, north west of Melbourne – comes as no surprise to those that have seen him learn the craft from some of the world’s most respected and successful trainers. 

As the son of Hamish Alexander, who bought Derby winner Generous as a foal and is now working with Goffs Ireland, there were plenty of sales catalogues throughout the house during his childhood and by the age of ten Archie had worked out the training caper was going to be his destiny. School holidays were spent riding out for champion jumps trainer Nicky Henderson in Lambourn. 

On completing school and, wanting to broaden his horizons, Archie relocated to France to work for Mr Alec Head at Le Quesnay before settling in Chantilly, where over the course of four years with Criquette Head-Maarek he became her assistant trainer.  

With the knowledge that experiences in a variety of racing yards are invaluable, Archie ventured to the United States to work with Todd Pletcher. As travelling foreman, his stints in Chicago, Keenland, Florida and a trip to Dubai with the World Cup runners exposed him to a completely different style of training. 

From the States, Archie settled closer to home with Mark Johnston in Middleham for three years where he held the position of Yard Manager, before a position arose with Aidan O’Brien at Ballydoyle to run a fillies yard. Archie – still only in his mid twenties – felt working for one of the greatest racing empires was necessary; especially given that it afforded him the chance to observe the master of perfection at close quarters. 

When Lloyd Williams invited him to become a foreman and take part in the training of his large European team, in Melbourne, Archie jumped at the chance. There, Archie saw Faulkner win the Caulfield Cup in the Spring of 2013 and a few other major successes.

Archie's work at Ballarat brings him closer to his goal: to become regarded as a leading trainer in Australia and abroad. 

He plans to mix the methods he's learned in Europe and Australia to create a winning formula. Ballarat is very peaceful and he believes this is ideal for the Racehorse. He's learned from the best and feels his ability as a horseman is high enough to compete with the best.

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:54am
The bit about Ballarat being peaceful is interesting, as Gai has a counter-philosophy of continuous stimulation for her horses.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:02am
Sorry, continuous isn't the right word.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:21am
Hope he does better than Go Shigemi....
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:29am
Poor Go was a victim of big business i.e any potential identified was quickly shipped off to Japan with some eventual Group winners included.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
RickoSharkus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RickoSharkus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:58pm
Archie has been going for a couple of months now and has sent out a few runners. A terrific young bloke, hard working and dead honest. I worked closely with him for 12 months and hope he makes a real success of a tough caper.
He has had a terrific grounding having worked in some of the world's best stables. Obviously has some good contacts and is being supported with some nice horses.
You only appreciate a fast one when you've owned lots of slow ones !!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 7:44pm
Fantastic training effort with Tyanna, getting her back to her best. great win at massive overs at Seymour.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 7:49pm
just saw his TVN interview, seems like a great bloke.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 1:48pm

Renew to remain with Archie Alexander

Sandown Cup winner Renew will remain under the care of Archie Alexander and not be transferred to Sydney premiership winning trainer Chris Waller.

OTI Racing had committed to sending the imported galloper to Waller following his initial campaign in Australia but decided on Tuesday morning to keep the current partnership going.

"Archie has done such a good job with this horse and the ownership group felt that he should continue doing so," said OTI Racing's Terry Henderson.

"Chris (Waller) was terrific and was supportive of the decision.

"There wouldn't have been much upside to moving the horse, Archie is already on the right track so it wasn't a hard decision.

"We had to go through the process because the horse was committed to Chris but again, he was very good and supported our decision."

Henderson said the Adelaide Cup, rather than the Sydney Cup is likely to be the main autumn target for Renew.

"He will just have three light weeks, might just stay in light work and be led off the pony," Henderson said.

"We will have a look at him and assess how he is looking but Adelaide could be an option for him."

Renew started in Australian career in the Herbert Power Stakes, finishing last, before running in the Caulfield Cup.

He returned a solid performance to run second to Grand Marshall at Flemington on Melbourne Cup day and then recorded his first victory in the Sandown Cup.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 1:52pm
I had a feeling that was the way they would head when i'viewed on RSN Sun or Monday mornin, great & fair decision Thumbs Up
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:27pm
Surely he can run in both the Adelaide and Sydney Cups and possibly even the Adrew Ramsden or what ever it is called these days ?
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
Perhaps they feel they have superior horses available for Sydney &/or Renew may not handle the usual wet, also, the immediate plan is advised as Adelaide but who's to say if he wins or runs well, he won't go on to Sydney Smile
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:03pm
Good decision. Seemed like a decent guy when they interviewed him on Saturday.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:15pm
A damn good trainer of stayers - in the European way......he is a very good option.

Expect him to win a big one within 3-5 years
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 2:19pm
He does not seem to be making any impact.

reductio ad absurdum
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 3:12pm
He is a very likable person, give him a bit more time and I am sure he will come good with the right horses.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 3:25pm
Don't rate him as a trainer. Keeps racing Renew even though obviously trained off. Talks the talk, but....
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:07pm
Trains a horse called Latin Wanda who goes pretty good

And hasn't kept racing her
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:09pm
This stable's flying at present with 7/21 since the start of September.
Worth bearing in mind Thumbs Up

crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 1:29pm
Archie Alexander’s spring didn’t get off to the start he would’ve hoped for with confirmation on Saturday morning that two horses at his Ballarat stables are suffering the infectious disease strangles.

Alexander self-reported the issue to Racing Victoria and, following an inspection by stewards and vets on Friday, the Alexander Racing stables have been declared an “infected place” in line with Australian Rule of Racing 64K(4) which requires all horses within to be quarantined.

No horses - including Spanner Head and Wheal Leisure that were due to race on the New Zealand Bloodstock Memsie Stakes undercard at Caulfield on Saturday - are permitted to leave the stables until approval is granted by RV.

Stewards have further advised that training may continue at Ballarat Turf Club without restrictions on any other stables, however, Ballarat trainers are being advised to maintain a close eye on the health of their horses.

The Ballarat race meeting scheduled for Wednesday, 5 September at Ballarat will proceed as programmed.

The strangles cases come nearly two years after a similar outbreak in the neighbouring Ballarat stables of Matt Cumani, who was later fined $20,000 and suspended for several months for failing to notify authorities in a timely manner.

While strangles is a highly contagious bacterial infection that can cause upper respiratory tract disease, it is rarely fatal
This space has been intentionally left blank
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:06pm
MICK KENT – INNOCULATE AND MOVE ON

Strangles” is far more dangerous than Equine Influenza. It’s a nightmare for trainers. There’s an easy solution.

THERE’S a simple cure-all for these devastating (for the stable) strangles outbreaks – mandatory industry-driven inoculation.

I really feel for Archie Alexander. He’s done the right thing but you pay a hell of a price for it with mandatory stable shutdowns that can last weeks.

These dramas are easy to avoid. Every horse now has a microchip and a passport. You see stewards waving scanners under the horse’s neck. They’re checking the horse’s passport microchip that pretty much tells the story of the horse; previous ailments, gear changes, the lot.

Mandatory inoculation should be part of the passport process.

It’s relatively cheap and requires one vaccination then a top up six months later; it’s cheap and absolutely necessary given strangles is a far more dangerous condition than Equine Influenza, which turned racing on its head about a decade ago.

I’ve been vaccinating my entire team for about seven years. Lots of other trainers do as well but it should be an industry requirement.

Strangles can spread like wildfire and when you think about the cross population constant movement of horses – from studs, mixing with racing populations – its remarkable we haven’t had a catastrophic outbreak.

Imagine a breakout at Flemington on the eve of the carnival. It would shut down the entire spring carnival.

Strangles is far more virulent than EI – the larynx becomes extremely inflamed, pussy abscesses pop up under the throat and a common biproduct is that the horse can become a roarer.

There was all of this hullabaloo about EI but trust me, strangles is worse.

And its not an occasional occurrence. It’s simply treated in-house and un-tested. Once you test your suspicions, you’re duty bound to report it and you end up where Archie Alexander finds himself; a stable shutdown on the eve of the spring.

BY: MICK KENT

In case this works, 4min i/view with Archie:

https://20943.mc.tritondigital.com/WHOOSHKAA_1719/media-session/afa2c6c7-10a7-48ba-8095-fc82f6bbccd5/podcasts/podcast_1719/podcast_media/5605cd-archie-alexander.mp3

or maybe

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=269280

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:09pm
I agree with Kent.
Worth the $
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:15pm
It's cheap as chips in the scheme of things, do it yourself & grab it from produce stores or online e.g. $40
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:31pm
Can’t understand why you wouldn’t do it then
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:52pm
Seemingly boosters are recommended every 6 months AFTER the primary course-which to me begs the question about how well the vaccine actually works
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:05pm
Likely those recommendations are made by the company & vets therefore are not necessary as close as 6mthly.
Probably the same as has been found for dogs & cats with titer tests being the best guide & boosters being needed generally after several years if even then.

skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:51pm
Dept of Agriculture recommendations- the reason for booster doses is to reactivate the immune systems memory of the disease and ensure seroconversion...Strep Equii vaccines apparently do not protect for long periods so require constant boosters which if not given, there would be little point vaccinating in the first place...
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:20pm
How many strangles cases have come out of the Weir stables and have never been reported?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>