Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

American Pharoah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:01pm
Another Group 1 winner for the great horse American Pharoah. This time in Japan at a mile for Cafe Pharoah.

That's Group 1's in America, France and Japan now.  He's going well.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
Absolutely Vivarchi.  Thumbs Up

But for whatever reason still unwilling to buy into his SH stock atm, which is very possibly a mistake. 
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Vivarchi Vivarchi wrote:

Another Group 1 winner for the great horse American Pharoah. This time in Japan at a mile for Cafe Pharoah.

That's Group 1's in America, France and Japan now.  He's going well.

He *should* be going well, given the quality of mares he has seen in the northern hemisphere!

G1 Harvey's Lil Goil -- out of a half-sister to KY Derby winner I'll Have Another
G1 Van Gogh -- out of English Oaks/Irish 1000 Guineas mare Imagine, dam of 4 other stakes winners, 2nd dam produced Generous  3rd dam is blue hen Margarethen
G1 Cafe Pharoah -- out of G2 winning More Than Ready mare who produced 2 other graded stakes winners 
JPN-1 Danon Pharoah -- dam is Gr-1 winner and half-sister to LW, 2nd dam is half-sister to dam of G2 Spellbinder, G3 WhyWhyWhy, and G3Pl Big Top, from the Igual branch of the Mahubah family
G2 Four Wheel Drive -- out of a More Than Ready mare from the family of millionaire Dynever, BC winner Furthest Land, multiple G2 SW Ready for Rye, etc.  
G2 Sweet Melania -- out of a Listed winning half-sister to G2 Travelin Man and G2 Discreet Dancer, from the Lassie's Lady branch of the Lassie Dear family (Ruler of the World, Duke of Marmalade, Annus Mirabilis, etc)
G2 Pista -- dam is Galileo daughter of champion Denebola, from the Coup de Folie branch of the Almahmoud family
G3 Maven -- first foal of a Listed-winning half sister to G3 winner and dam of LW/G1Pl, 
LW Another Miracle -- out of a Listed winning Medaglia D'Oro mare from the family of top Canadian sprinter Passion for Action.  3rd dam is a Gr-3 winner with lots of stakes production
LW Thankful -- dam produced G3 winner and another listed winner, 2nd dam is G3 winner, 3rd dam is G2 winner
G1Pl Monarch of Egypt -- out of G2 winning Galileo mare, 2nd dam produced Dutch Art
G3Pl Skygaze -- GSPl dam produced G2W and two LWs before this one

He should be getting excellent racehorses out of mares like this. 

The way he's started out reminds me quite a lot of Giant's Causeway: tremendous support from the very best Coolmore has to offer, rode on the coattails of his mares' achievements until finding out what worked for him and what didn't, and then settling into a useful stallion career that is perhaps just a shade below absolute top class..."very good" rather than "excellent."  Over time, Coolmore bred fewer and fewer of their top mares to him, even though he continued to sire good horses, and only one of his stallion sons is on any of their rosters (Footstepsinthesand). 

Coolmore bred a lot of their Galileo mares to him, as an outcross to that saturation in their mare population.  If he doesn't show good-enough production with Galileo mares he's much more likely to follow the path Giant's Causeway did.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Thank you for that extensive list. It will give us something to benchmark Am Ph against 
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:59pm
FLOP, another Animal Kingdom and any other overhyped, under-pedigreed horse you want to mention. If you think not, please try to substantiate his attraction, fee and where you think I wrong.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:25pm
AP will need a good autumn or we may think the Pharoah is a Fairy in the Sthn Hemisphere
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Not much love for him but this baby was full of running

5th-Del Mar, $71,500, Msw, 11-12, 2yo, f, 5fT, :56.67, fm, 2 3/4 lengths.
SHOPPINGFORPHAROAH
(f, 2, American Pharoah–Smart Shopping {SP}, by Smart Strike)    

Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:18pm
Do you mean he is a fading star in the NH Brudder A
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 7:07pm

I think Media types in the US are trying to prop him up because he is a Triple Crown winner...

We will see more blurb when offspring from AP does well or win.

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Nov 2021 at 7:42pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

I think Media types in the US are trying to prop him up because he is a Triple Crown winner...

We will see more blurb when offspring from AP does well or win.

He's definitely following the trajectory of Giant's Causeway at this point: huge early support from Coolmore, doing just enough with those mares in the northern hemisphere to not be sacked but the attention is shifting from him to Galileo Justify, doing poorly in the southern hemisphere. 

That being said, at least in the northern hemisphere he's proving to be a useful horse (again, like Giant's Causeway).  His foals are running at top-tier metro tracks and they're showing up on the big race days.  If his current crop of 2yos are excluded, he has 6.8% stakes winners and 11% black-type horses from his first 2 crops of racing age.  Half of his stakes winners are Group/Graded winners.

Compare these two:

Barring some huge changes, I expect that 2021 may be his last season shuttling to Australia.  If AP continues in the footsteps of Giant's Causeway, for 2022 he'll shuttle to Argentina.  
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Hi All,
Anybody know were Big Brown is Standing Now?
Maybe a similar outcome

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:35pm
Big Brown:
Standing at Dutchess Hill Farm, NY State

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 6:56am
Originally posted by oldflight oldflight wrote:

Hi All,
Anybody know were Big Brown is Standing Now?
Maybe a similar outcome

Eh -- he's doing better with his first two crops of mares in Kentucky than Big Brown ever did. 

His stats in the northern hemisphere are good enough to keep him in Kentucky.  He's ranked #15 by 2021 progeny earnings ahead of the evergreen Medaglia D'Oro and Candy Ride, and ranked #4 by total number of NHemi stakes winners.  IIRC Big Brown never got that high.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:24am
I often wondered how he came by that almost perfect white circle on his side ? 
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12