Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFLM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFLM
    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:13am
With the ladies AFL back on tv in an expanded competition, it led me to think about a discussion last year that was not adequately resolved.

If the ladies game is called AFLW, why isn't the mens game called AFLM?

What's the big deal with the term 'AFLM'?

I was baffled by the response to Bob Murphy's column in The Age this week - an excellent piece about the changing face of masculinity in football. I was baffled, because most of the responses on social media focused not on the broader message of the article, but on one letter of the alphabet.

Who would have thought the letter M could cause so much drama?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-the-big-deal-with-the-term-aflm-20190328-p518ga.html

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:53am
ALFW, is a joke, on Friday night in a game a losing side scored 2 goal 2 point ,then again last night the winning side scores 1 goal 3 pts to beat the other side which scored 1 goal 2 pts.

Those score lines are somewhat similar to boys under 7's on a wet ground.

Despite all the publicity in the daily press, female football is an unmitigated disaster.

Compare to women's cricket , which would get 9/10 as a spectacle, women's AFLW  gets 1/10 at best.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

ALFW, is a joke, on Friday night in a game a losing side scored 2 goal 2 point ,then again last night the winning side scores 1 goal 3 pts to beat the other side which scored 1 goal 2 pts.

Despite all the publicity in the daily press, female football is an unmitigated disaster.

Compare to women's cricket , which would get 9/10 as a spectacle, women's AFLW  gets 1/10 at best.

The way I look at Womans sport is it has to start somewhere and it needs encouragement.

I imagine Womans sport is where Mens sport was in 1920 but will improve far more rapidly than Mens sport did in the ensuing 100 years. . 

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 9:15pm
Great this equal rights bit ===   But it aint equal .    The ladies only want equality in the cushy, money, prestige jobs .
They cry for 50% seats in Parliament , 50 % on the front bench , but women only represent 10% of Political applications.
There are dozens of one sided examples but I won't bore you .

Things will be equal when the ladies do 50% in the slaughter houses, mines, butcher Shops , Brick layers & Labourers .

Now get the posting finger out Djebel , we lost some ground when Donald
hit a six last week.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:56pm
Most women's sports are unwatchable compared to the men's alternative*.

AFL is stupid ... in juniors, they play on mini field until they are about 14 or so ... the best women's team is about the physical equivalent of an u/14 boys team, so they should play on a smaller field too.

Women's cricket is just ok, but that is because they bring the ropes in 20 meters - proving my point.

*Jelly Wrestling and Lingerie Football are exceptions - and both are contested on a modified ring and field respectively.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:32pm
If a mens afl match saw 1-3 as a winning score it would be called the worst match in afl history, and if the women want to be treated equally well the bad comes with the good.

The three womens comps thriving are WNBL, Big Bash and super netball.

The W-League was heading in the right direction, but when the top ten players leave this fledgling competition behind for the big bucks in Europe, it will fall back, just like the mens A-League.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:53pm
Imagine how good a Men's Netball League would be!Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:32am
Would it be called NAM, Netball Australia Men?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:45pm
Men's Australian Netball would have seemed obvious ... The "MAN" League would kick off with twice the audience as the girls, before anyone even knew what sport they were playing.Embarrassed
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:06am
Women's sport is like cod liver oil - it's good for you - you will like it - get it down ya - good boy.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:10am
AFLM
AFLW

But at the Australian Open Tennis, the public toilets were Gender Neutral.
I thought we were getting rid of the Male and Female terms?

AFLT ?  Australian Football Transgender

AFLLGBT?

Geez, just when we were making progress to make everything neutral, the AFL slide us back to the dark ages by referencing Genders.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

AFLM
AFLW

But at the Australian Open Tennis, the public toilets were Gender Neutral.
I thought we were getting rid of the Male and Female terms?

AFLT ?  Australian Football Transgender

AFLLGBT?

Geez, just when we were making progress to make everything neutral, the AFL slide us back to the dark ages by referencing Genders.

I went to the AO, there were a few gender neutral public toilets, however there were plenty of male only and female only toilets. 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:27am
Redemption got it wrong Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:49am
Redemption did not get it wrong, he never said ALL public toilets were gender neutral, I pointed out that SOME were gender neutral. 

If I was to say you, Whale, was wrong ALL the time, I would not be correct, but if I was to say you are wrong MOST of the time I would be correct.Smile

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:53am

Redemption did not get it wrong, he never said ALL public toilets were gender neutral, I pointed out that SOME were gender neutral. 

If I was to say you, Whale, was wrong ALL the time, I would not be correct, but if I was to say you are wrong MOST of the time I would be correct.Smile

Technically correct but wrong Wink
The clear implication was that ALL toilets at the AO open are gender neutral
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Technically correct but wrong Wink
The clear implication was that ALL toilets at the AO open are gender neutral

And if that were not the case you would not have felt it necessary to post this :

I went to the AO, there were a few gender neutral public toilets, however there were plenty of male only and female only toilets. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:01am
Whale, so you are mind reader now ? How do you know the reasoning for my post, you assume "I felt it necessary", but you do not know.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:30am

Whale, so you are mind reader now ? How do you know the reasoning for my post, you assume "I felt it necessary", but you do not know.

Although it has been pointed out several times, it seems necessary to say it again...REDEMPTION IS A SHE
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:39am

Bob, we do have a thing called evolution.
Look at all sports.
Be it swimming, athletics, 100m, golf, etc,  we are getting better and better at sports.
The records keep breaking.

AFLW, will eventually have players that can sprint 100m in 10.5 seconds.
They will recruit star sprinters, globally, that can even sprint faster than male AFL players.

So the first thing you will slowly see evolve, is the actual speed of the game.
It will get very fast.

The vast majority of AFL men cant run 100m under 11 seconds.

So the argument is then skills?
Same thing, most men around the world, wouldnt be able to beat Steffi Graf in tennis.
I dont mean male tennis players, I just mean men in general.
Point being, skills will also come into AFLW. Elite skills.

Under-estimating a scientitic fact, EVOLUTION, progression, is at your own peril.
Its simply science, proven science. Humans get better and better at things.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:49am

Don't need to read minds when it is that obvious. Bob, give it away, even I am embarrassed for you.
Go and relax with a coffee and a copy of the Herald Sun Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:13am
Mens 100m sprint progression list.

Flo Jo and todays female sprinters, run faster than the men between 1890 to 1910.

By around 2050, AFLW, will be higher standard than the AFL mens of 1960. Roughly 80 to 90 years behind.
This is a consistent statistic in sports.
So if anyone enjoyed VFL standard in 1960, then they will enjoy AFLW standard in 2050, as it will be slightly better than VFL 1960.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
So by around the year 2080, AFLW grand final 2080,,, will be the same standard as the famous 1989 AFL grand final between Hawthorn and Geelong.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:44am
1912 Mens high Jump world record, 2.00.
1978 Womens high Jump world record, 2.01m

1936 Mens high Jump world record, 2.07m
1987 Womens high Jump world record, 2.09m

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:51am
2081 AFLW grand final, BETTER standard than the famous 1989 Mens AFL Grand Final.

Love evolution. In present day, we always find the future hard to believe, but when you love science, math, physics, etc,  obvious answers are concluded.
It is a scientifc fact, the AFLW 2081 Grand Final will be better than the 1989 AFL Grand Final.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:17am
Do not know about you Redemption, but I will not be around in 2081 to watch that AFLW GF.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:27am

1912 Mens high Jump world record, 2.00.
1978 Womens high Jump world record, 2.01m

1936 Mens high Jump world record, 2.07m
1987 Womens high Jump world record, 2.09m

Laughable comparison. When was the Fosbury flop introduced again?
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:32am

Mens 100m sprint progression list.

Flo Jo and todays female sprinters, run faster than the men between 1890 to 1910.

By around 2050, AFLW, will be higher standard than the AFL mens of 1960. Roughly 80 to 90 years behind.
This is a consistent statistic in sports.
So if anyone enjoyed VFL standard in 1960, then they will enjoy AFLW standard in 2050, as it will be slightly better than VFL 1960.

Flo Jo!
Someone so full of steroids that no woman has come even remotely close to her records in more than 30 years. Great comparison!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:40am
Redemption,I can also cherry pick the opposite to your claim women have caught up with men over the years....

In 1901 the men's long jump WR was 7.61 metres, today it is held by Galina Chistyakova of the former Soviet Union who leapt 7.52 metres  in Leningrad on 11 June 1988, a mark that has stood for over 30 years.

I might ask,what as gone wrong with evolution over those past 30 years, let alone the last 119 years. ?

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:55am
I love them , but I shudder every time the treasures on their chest cop a shoulder charge.

Whats gone wrong with the scientists who promised us a real life dummy to play with.
The famous Act is limited to the Bold & Beautiful and that's not fair.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:45pm
200m Mens Freestyle world record 1972,,,, Mark Spitz,  1.58.78
200m  Womens Freestyle world record 2009 Federica Pelligrini,  1.52.98

I could pick dozens of events, dozens of sports, the trend is the same.

Do you honestly think that the public when Mark Spitz swam an astonishing 1.58 minutes for 200 metres, would believe only 37 years later, a woman would smash that time by 6 seconds?

You can bank on this, as a scientific fact,,,,,
By 2080,   comparing to the amazing 1989 Mens AFL Grand Final, the women will do the following better, by 2080 AFLW Grand Final (comparing to the 1989 mens grand final)

Run faster
Jump Higher
Kick Straighter
Mark Higher
Handball Further
Kick Further

Its hard to fathom, hard to believe,  BUT it will. Its evolution.
So go watch the 1989 Mens AFL Grand Final, and enjoy it, because by 2080, AFLW will be better on ALL levels.
Athletic scientific evolution fact.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>