Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Adelaide Magic Million 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 6:46pm
The ones I settled on were 25, 87, 161, 189, 208

I thought Lot 87 would make $80-100k
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:03pm
Started very quietly today
Time is a flat circle
Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:56am
  "The ones I settled on were 25, 87, 161, 189, 208"

Glencoe, did Lot 25 look as good "in the flesh" as in the video ? The price suggests so, but I'd be interested in your view.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:52pm
Am gobsmacked someone paid $425k for Lot 286, a colt by the "hot" Capitalist from Okaylah.

The dam has produced six foals 3 years old or over for one Singapore winner, one Australian metro winner, two very limited gallopers with city placings, a winner of one country race, and a non winner from 11 starts.  No stake-winners until the 3rd remove, and then only at Listed level.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 1:14pm
Buyers are new to the scene from what I can see. They have the 2YO Capitalist colt Gleneagles they paid $500k for.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 1:37pm
Lot 292 MUST have issues
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 3:35pm
People will remember that Chatswood recently sold two in Tassie for $2k each.

Well they've faired little better in Adelaide so far, with sales of $8k, $7k and $3k with a couple yet to go through the ring.

Half of the entries have no still photos, some have no photos or videos whatsoever, and most look they've undergone a very brief sale preparation after earlier enjoying a diet of little more than grass.  

As you sow so you shall reap.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 4:18pm

I actually gave Inference half a chance too - SYT from a Redoute's mare, good physical (albeit with a staying physique) and from aa very strong family. But this is commercial suicide not only for Chatswood but for all of the breeders who supported Inference in the first couple of seasons.

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Mar 2021 at 5:50pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 4:26pm
Well in truth some look better than others.  The last two sold for $17k and $6 respectively, meaning their five sold for an average of just over $8k each, less transport, accommodation, sales commission etc.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 4:38pm
He's served his fair share of mares Robbo, so there'll be more than a few worried clients.

At MP Chatswood sold 4 Inference's for an average of $45k against a whole-of-sale average of $114k.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:25pm
Off an $8,800 service fee and there were only 59 foals in the first crop, so they've hardly been caught unaware. 

Chatswood was listed for sale in October, so a dispersal (or the makings of one) is no surprise.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:33pm
Thanks GA, didn't know about the listing.  No surprise I guess, the nominal owner is believed to be penurious and is understood to have already sold considerable equity in the property.

Just the same, outside clients wouldn't be too thrilled with the way matters are turning out.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:49pm
Probably more concerning for those that went to Reward For Effort. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:01pm
RH I meant.  Embarrassed

RFE has about as many on the ground or in utero, but yes at an advertised $16,500 and $11,000 the last two years....

I note the Company is listed as under External Administration.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:47pm
Seems like a liquidation sale without any reserve or concern for thevfuture
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:39pm
Arrived back from the great state this arvo. An excellent sale. Even the auctioneers were enjoying themselves. Best quality sale since mid-90's
Selection standards set much higher this year. Thus much reduced catalogue.. Majority were sound legged and top lines were in general very good.

Lot 22  Not a big horse but very neat and well balanced. Not one for me, but still a nice horse and a good result for the vendor
Lot 286 A very good type. A good result for the vendor but also should produce for the new owner

Lot 224 Impending an absolute beauty. I really liked it
Lot 208 Your Song,  Lot 244 Ambidexter & lot 311 Shalaa also rated highly with me

Cheaper types I was much in favour of were lot 87 , lot 189

And a couple of cheapies at the end 403 &  406
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:46pm
Overall there were many many horses that were very likable.
Some friends are going to risk a very impressive type by Am. Pharaoh.  Only $50k as legs & knees are an issue. Given plenty of time hopefully the issues may be minimal
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:50pm
And finally I would like some pedigree opinions on lots 77 Magnus & lot 103 Impending. I have good friends who aren't sure of which one to buy into. So would really appreciate some input
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:27am

Danehill m x f (but closest I like to see being on the 3rd line)

family of Marauding which with Fastnet Rock an example crossed well with Danehill so double should be to much of a handicap

Lunchtime/Biscay cross back in pedigree has always been gold

Would of liked to see some Sir Tristram in the sires pedigree (for damline)

Would of liked to see some Vain in the dams pedigree (for Magnus)

First season sire with a top class pedigree but as yet unproven.  Bonus being Lonhro does have sire sons and he has Canny Lad sitting in his pedigree.  Quite a few top class stallions have him sitting in their pedigrees and Jesmond Lass has Lunchtime blood to cross to Choisir.

This gives a double cross of Biscay/Lunchtime one one either side of pedigree

complete outcross in first five generations

best from line on page include Golden Prayer and Fontiton (G2 winners)

Fontiton was also completely outbred in first five removes.  She was by a Northern Dancer line sire who had a Sir Tristram line dam.  Impending is the reverse Sir Tristram line Lonhro over Northern Dancer line Encosta mare.

Neither pedigree throw up any alarms but maybe the second is the stronger - if Impending comes out and is a good sire.  That is the question with any first season sire.  No matter how strong the pedigree some do and some don't!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:29am
Honestly that should read - shouldn't be to much of a handicap!
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:00am
Thanks very much furious
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:27am
Imo Lot 77 is the better type, a typical Magnus not top heavy, a ready to run which will improve with age, plus the sire throws sound horses.  There's a bit of cart horse about the Impending imo.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:41am
Could be the photo but I have to agree on that point!
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:53pm
Looks like 3 great minds. My recommendation was the Magnus. Had already deleted a couple of others that I thought would be 2400m plodders
I do appreciate your opinions as these are very good friends who sought my advice
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:59pm
There was an Inference I quiet liked that brought $6k only. Needed time with his knees but a patient owner may just have a handy handicapper ( lot 399)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

People will remember that Chatswood recently sold two in Tassie for $2k each.

Well they've faired little better in Adelaide so far, with sales of $8k, $7k and $3k with a couple yet to go through the ring.

Half of the entries have no still photos, some have no photos or videos whatsoever, and most look they've undergone a very brief sale preparation after earlier enjoying a diet of little more than grass.  

As you sow so you shall reap.

acacia asked me to find the thread with this to say:
A story on a current affair tonight, about a loan shark/shyster. Missed part of it and didnt understand it all, but, Greg Willis from Chatswood Stud was interviewed, and seems he took a loan thru him and now looks like he will loose Chatswood.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:48am
Thanks Gay.  I didnt have a clue which thread this of Chatswood was in.  I wish I had got the whole program , so didnt quite get the drift, except I saw Greg interviewed, and he said it looks like he will loose Chatswood.  To do with a loan at high interest.  Maybe those cleverer than me can find the program and explain it to us.
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 12:30pm
A Current Affair aired the interview last night re Chatswood
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:49pm
Very few in the industry would have any sympathy for Greg Willis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12