Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

A League expansion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A League expansion
    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:41am
Talk is that the A League will expand again within two years and possibly as soon as next season, with the aim being to go first to 14 teams and a traditional (in football) home and away draw of 26 rounds with a view to moving to 16 teams and a 30 round season.

A second division with promotion and relegation is the dream but realistically much further down the pipe line, with that division likely to be filled out with NPL clubs, traditional clubs such as Sydney United, South Melbourne and others.

Candidates are said to be Canberra, Tasmania, second sides in Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth, Wollongong Wolves and a second NZ team.

Personally I'd skip the second NZ team for now, if it were me I'd be looking at Canberra and Tasmania first, Canberra only having the Raiders and Brumbies to call their own in national competitions with Tasmania having none of their own, one would think it would be possible to build a groundswell of local support behind either.

From there a second Brisbane team sounds logical, given the Roar are playing at Redcliffe they could develop a North-South rivalry with a second side based South of the river.  Team 16 I think Wollongong (the Wolves were strong in the old NSL) or a second Perth/Adelaide team all could be strong, I guess it comes down to the strength of each bid.  The two who miss out could be given licenses once the second division comes in, perhaps alongside some more regional clubs such as Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Geelong, maybe a second NZ side.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:03am
Will it remain an essentially summer competition?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:17am
Do people actually follow soccer out here.   I'm surprised.

What is their crowd drawing stacking up.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:21am
No, that is why they play it in summer. Cant compete with other winter football codes.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:30pm
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:57am
The more teams they bring in the worse the competition becomes

NRL and AFL should take notes
EAD
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 6:28am
It looks like a national second division is coming.

I wonder if they'd consider two divisions split on geographical lines to help reduce costs for second division clubs? Say WA-SA-Tas-Vic and NSW-QLD-Vic for two splits?

Talk is relegation and promotion with the A-League won't come in for a few years so one would think these clubs will be scraping for cash for a few years.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 7:50am
Nothing like qualifying for a World Cup to fire up interest for 5 minutes.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I cracked up, watching this...and I'm sure there is an equally funny men's one...

but the funniest bit was the drink bottle...

LOLLOLLOL
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:31am
LOL deary me its like watching a group of drunk, blindfolded, mummy's playing football, its just so cringe at times. 
Panspermia.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
I hope they focus on localities that are yet to have an A-League team and if possible, minimal or no national competition teams at all.  So my first teams in would be as follows.

One of the Canberra bids.
South Hobart.
1 Adelaide bid.
The Perth bid.
Gold Coast United/Gold Coast Knights.
Sunshine Coast FC.
Penninsula Power.
Brisbane City/Brisbane United.
Sutherland.
Woolongong Wolves.
2 Melbourne bids.

Thinking being, Hobart and Canberra both have limited to no national sporting competitions available to watch locally, Adelaide and Perth are both large enough to handle a second national competition side, with Qld the thinking is about positioning clubs around the South East corner, so one on both the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, Penninsula Power can cover off the Moreton Bay region which currently has a population of around half a million and expanding.  Maybe the Roar could move back to central Brisbane, I think it would be smart to base one in the Western Corridor region, perhaps playing in Ipswich, as they could also capture support from the Toowoomba area an hour away.

In NSW, it makes sense to bring in Sutherland and Woolongong as they won't compete in the existing A-League clubs markets or with each other, perhaps a side could also be brought in out at Penrith as thats further west than the Wanderers.

Melbourne I'd approach similar to Brisbane in that you want any added teams to play in a different part of the city to where existing teams already play.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 6:20am
The national second division is reportedly set to have its initial members confirmed in the next week or so, once all the t's are crossed and i's dotted, reportedly it will contain 5 NSW clubs, 3 Victorian clubs, Sunshine Coast and a Tasmanian side.

Woolongong Wolves have reportedly been given a start, not much yet on the other NSW or Vic sides, would be a safe bet I think that South Melbourne will be in there.

Not surprised they didn't put a Perth side in as they'll be wary of costs in the initial season however no Adelaide side getting a start is a surprise, if 10 is what they feel was a suitable number, I think they could have reduced that number of NSW/Vic sides and added an Adelaide side and one from Brisbane.
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 6:47am
Big week on the expansion front.

Auckland confirmed as the next A-League side to come in for the 2024-25 season.

National second division has 8 clubs confirmed, Marconi Fairfield, Sydney United, APIA Leichhardt, Woolongong Wolves, Sydney Olympic, South Melbourne, Avondale and Preston Lions.  2-4 more teams to be added before the 2025 launch, Melbourne Knights put out a statement that suggests they feel they could join that group, with Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra and SE Qld all possibilities of joining that number.

Quite the contrast to the initial A-League launch, which was all about new clubs that were not founded by ethnic groups, with majority of these clubs both being former NSL clubs (all except Avondale) and also having been founded by ethnic groups.

IMO Woolongong should have been a part of the A-League a long time ago and it is the right thing to do to bring them in, Sydney United, Sydney Olympic, Marconi and APIA Leichhardt all have long histories and supporters behind them so all are probably worthy, South Melbourne and Preston Lions also have proud histories themselves, particularly South, don't be surprised to see the Tottenham manager try get back for their first NSD game.

For the extra four spots, I really hope they consider adding an Adelaide side to work toward a potential derby in Adelaide long term, Canberra is starved of national competition teams and travel isn't an issue for them with majority of the teams based in either Sydney or Melbourne.  I'd also look at the Sunshine Coast team, for the fourth (I think 12 is a good number) team to join the group, either Brisbane or Hobart, just go with whoever presents the best case.

The season will reportedly start in March 2025, it'll be a European style pay each other home and away once season, with finals at the end.  Promotion and relegation with the A-League won't start immediately, but is in the long term plans.  I guess they have to look at the financial implications of relegation before they allow it to happen and also consider what happens with the now 2 NZ sides and probably even Perth given the high travel costs for those 3.
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply