Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2022 Dead Pool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 4:34am
Sidney Portier, 94
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:14am
 a great great actor and man. 

He had a special role in my life in a time of personal crisis. 

Heart Broken Heart

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
First black man to win the Best Actor Academy Award.
Time is a flat circle
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 12:02pm
Family origins in the Bahamas but he was born unexpectedly whilst he parents were in Miami selling Tomato’s.
The youngest of 7 children he was not expected to survive as he was born 2 months premature but his parents nursed him in the US for three months before taking him home to the Bahamas

As he was born in the US (albeit unexpectedly) he had US citizenship from birth 
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:11pm
"All those who see unworthiness when they look at me and are given thereby to denying me value — to you I say, 'I'm not talking about being as good as you. I hereby declare myself better than you,'" he wrote in his memoir, The Measure of a Man, published in 2000.
But even in his prime he was criticised for being out of touch. He was called an Uncle Tom and a "million-dollar shoeshine boy". In 1967, The New York Times published Black playwright Clifford Mason's essay, "Why Does White America Love Sidney Poitier So?" Mason dismissed Poitier's films as "a schizophrenic flight from historical fact" and the actor as a pawn for the "white man's sense of what's wrong with the world."
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:22pm
 As he said to his father, in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner: "You think of yourself as a coloured man. I think of myself as a man."

He was an inspirational man. 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:57pm
 Marilyn Bergman, lyricist (with her husband Alan) of such great songs, as The Way We Were, Pieces of Dreams, and What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life?

Also a lot of tv themes. 

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:16am
I have just seen that Australian golfer Bob Shearer has died aged 73.

I remember a few sports events in my childhood, Dick Johnson's blue ford being stopped by a rock when he was in front at Mt Panorama, the Parramatta Eels first premiership in 1981 against Newtown, the Australian team winning the 100m freestyle relay in Moscow and of course Australia 2's win off Rhode Island against Dennis Conner, and the Australians victory over Sweden in the Davis Cup at Kooyong (the Pat Cash Michael Pernfors match is one of the best tennis matches I have ever seen), I think 1983 or 84, but Bob Shearers win in the 1982 Australian Open where he beat Jack Nicklaus with one of the best final rounds I have seen has to be right up there. 

I understand his wife Kathie is the meet and greet lady at the Australian Open for all the media and players, and so I would like to send my condolences to her and the family.    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:26am
One that has drawn little attention and will be on no lists but sad that the 17yo son of Sinead O'Connor chose to end his own life. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I have just seen that Australian golfer Bob Shearer has died aged 73.

I remember a few sports events in my childhood, Dick Johnson's blue ford being stopped by a rock when he was in front at Mt Panorama, the Parramatta Eels first premiership in 1981 against Newtown, the Australian team winning the 100m freestyle relay in Moscow and of course Australia 2's win off Rhode Island against Dennis Conner, and the Australians victory over Sweden in the Davis Cup at Kooyong (the Pat Cash Michael Pernfors match is one of the best tennis matches I have ever seen), I think 1983 or 84, but Bob Shearers win in the 1982 Australian Open where he beat Jack Nicklaus with one of the best final rounds I have seen has to be right up there. 

I understand his wife Kathie is the meet and greet lady at the Australian Open for all the media and players, and so I would like to send my condolences to her and the family.    

a very congenial man. Only met him once. He was a true gentleman and everyone liked him. 

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:08pm
Massive points here - 

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:44pm
Comedian Bob Saget, who shot to fame in sitcom Full House before cementing his place on American TVs with Funniest Home Videos, has died aged 65.

He was found unresponsive in a hotel room in Orlando, Florida on Sunday local time. 

"The man was identified as Robert Saget and pronounced deceased on scene," the Orange County Sheriff's Department said.

"Detectives found no signs of foul play or drug use in this case."

Police did not say more about how he died however it appeared to be sudden, as he had been performing on stage in Florida hours before his death.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
 don't think anyone had him...did they?

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:11pm
Just like Betty White; the anti-vax mob are claiming the jab killed him.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:47pm
So anyone who dies of covid is suspected of dying of something else but anyone who dies without it's because of the jab?  I just want to hide sometimes the world is getting to be such a sad place.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

don't think anyone had him...did they?

100/1 ANYONE HAD HIM.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 2:27pm
The way this year has started, I am sensing this might be the biggest scoring year for this competition for everyone. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Just like Betty White; the anti-vax mob are claiming the jab killed him.

Betty died in her sleep, of old age...

Confused
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 6:38pm
Yes I know that, hasn’t stopped them from trying to claim it though. It’s so messed up. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:04pm
Just accept the fact that anyone who dies, even if they are 110 years old, will have died of corona.  Or the jab.
LOL
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:05pm
Harley Balic, played 4 AFL games. Gone at just 25 after mental health struggles
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:14pm
This was an unfortunate exchange 3 years ago.

reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:49am
Robert Durst, 78, star of The Jinx.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:50am
"He was socially awkward, muttered to himself, belched noisily in public and urinated in office wastebaskets."
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 12:55pm
Sounds like a real charmerLOL
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 1:01pm

Former child actor Miranda Fryer, best known for Neighbours, has died, aged just 34 years old.

She tragically passed away in her sleep on January 6, her family confirmed.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:13pm
 before the "vax kills" brigade come on and claim her...

Her brother, Jeremy, took to Facebook on Monday to announce the sad news to Miranda's friends and followers.

"I am writing with the saddest of news. Last Thursday, around midday, MJ passed away.

"It was completely unexpected, we are yet to know for sure what the cause was, but with our family history, it looks like her heart failed during her sleep. She went peacefully."

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:31pm
Um...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:33pm
 doesn't say if she was vaccinated, so don't jump the gun...

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:35pm
It's just the best possible example for those who'll say vaccines kill - 34 y/o dies of heart failure in her sleep! With a family history too!

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/cardiac-side-effects-and-covid-19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>