Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2021-22 Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021-22 Racing Season
    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:50pm
(as posted at the end of last season)

The start is almost upon us for season 2021-22.  This one is going to be a tricky start in Sydney with most of our courses in shut downed areas.  Randwick and Kensington will both get a pounding particularly if rain arrives.

But with all the issues involved with keeping racing continuing though out 2020-21 we can hope that lessons have well and truly been learnt.

We are certainly looking for our next home town hero.  Verry Elleegant has been very very good but she stands in Winx's shadow.

Can Incentivise or Realm or Flowers come out and give us some hometown interest in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.  Will Explosive Jack bring his derby winning form into his four year old season.  Will Zaaki continue on from Queensland.

I think this season was kind of holding his breath the whole way through.  Maybe next season we will breath deeper and find our way out of danger from Covid.  Aren't we lucky that unlike dogs horses don't seem to catch this one!

But I think the first few months will be very trying for everyone.  Good luck to all involved.

Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 10:43pm
Looking forward to the Aurie's Star Smile about that time again - maybe this year; that's about how it goes these days.

Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:02pm
No.   Lockdown 6  instead  Ermm
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
Racing is battling on with covid surrounding us on all sides.  Particularly the Warwick Farm trained gallopers.

Our first stakes races for the season include the Missile Stakes and THe Rosebud in Sydney and the Aurie's Star at Flemington.

The Missile Stakes/Rosebud are usually run at Rosehill but with this track also considered a hotspot we only have Randwick/kensington available to us.

The biggest name out in Sydney would be Kolding while I'd love to see Fasika run up to her best but if jockeys have days like this McDonald on Kolding may have something to say about that.

While without the other big first time sires in play it will be up to Mazu a son of Maurice to see if they can start off where they left off as two year old sires.  James McDonald is on the topweight Kindergarten winners Paulele who belongs to the same family as Merchant Navy.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 3:48pm
OK as with his strong performance as a sire of two year olds Flying Artie has come out firing today.  They race just like he did with strong finishes from the tail end of the field.  Ruby Kisses really gobbled them up.

Likewise it looks like the Capitalist and Extreme Choice youngsters have come up as three year olds.

So we can say that hopefully the your group of sires will continue on their merry way.  Can they do the same this season and win the G1 three year old races.

It's odd finding the Up and Coming meeting out of Kembla Grange but with all the troubles occuring in Sydney probably for the best.  This race also shows how difficult it can be to continue on from a great two year old season.  Tiger of Malay up on 61 has to have improved to keep in touch with later comers with winning form on 53.  All the opening races are run at SW and penalties.  Set Weight would tell us better if they have come up or if the field have caught them.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 7:40pm
And Frosted has put his nose up to be included in those second season sires already showing form with their early three year olds.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 7:51pm
Absolutely Furious.

Ingratiating in particular appears well equipped to get at very least a strong 1600m, being by a multiple 8-9 furlong Gp1 winner from a female family that boasts the Sir Tristram sire line plus the solid Quest For Fame/Rainbow Quest element. 

Just can't wait for the Spring season to get really mobile.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 12:15pm
It also nice to see one of them at a different stud!  I said last year Frosted could be the sleeper but I really like the Flying Artie's to show their stuff also.  Picked him from the sales and so far my colt picks haven't performed as well at stud as the fillies.

Fillies I picked to follow have produced - Centro (Caulfield Guineas), Kenwood Melody (Caulfield Guineas), Legally Bay (Stakes winning dam of Merchant Navy etc), River Dove G1 winner and dam of Headwater (Silver Slipper and doing a reasonable job at stud), Srikandi (Stradbroke H, Tatts Tiara), Grand Journey (WA Derby), Playing God (Kingston Town Classic twice and doing alright at stud), Gimmethegreenlight (two G1's in SAfr and a pretty decent sire over there) and Ofcourseican (Coolmore Classic), D'argento (Rosehill Guineas), Preferment (VRC Derby, Turnbull, Tancred, Australian Cup and at stud), Tyzone (stradbroke Hcp), Exosphere (Golden Rose), Inference (Randwick Guineas), Classique Legend (dual G2 and the Everest winner) etc.

Lots of young G1 winners and sires at stud although Gimmethegreenlight, Playing God and Headwater the best at stud so far.

But the colts to go to stud I've picked not so good so far - Marceau (Rawson Stakes and sire of Hula Chief and Hula Drum he still crops up in some pedigrees), Hit it Benny (Doomben 10,000 and got a few SW's), Nassau (Todman Slipper and did get a G1 winner in Alynda), Dieu D'Or (for a listed winner he did get a few G1 winners inc Gold Ace, Voile D'or  and Curata Storm), Coronation Day (George Main, Spring Champion S with three minor stakes winners really under performed), Paris Opera (2nd Golden Slipper S and a decent sire of minor stakes winners in NZ), Toorak Toff (Golden Rose, Sir Rupert Clark but at stud only three stakes winners so far).

So I really want one of them to jump out of the ground and make it at stud.  Would be nice anyway.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 12:23pm
Forgot to add really hanging out of Artorius as I picked him in a bunch of Flying Arties from the first crop.  Two others have won but the rest haven't showed up yet!  Hopefully three year old types.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 12:59pm
Is anyone out there hoping against hope that the next outstanding galloper appears soon.  It all seems to be the same names and none of them have jumped out yet to capture my attention.  So I'm hoping the three year olds have a real star in the mix.  Probably need it to be a filly as we loose the colts too soon.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 1:30pm
Er , Elephant by any chance furious . Smile
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 1:36pm
Maybe it was a good win.  
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 10:24pm
Alright we have had some of the good gallopers return, but lets see what we are looking forward to from this season.

1. Can the 4yo's mix it with the older aged stars?

2. Will the improvers from last season continue their rise? Horses like Masked Crusader, Eduardo and Cascadian etc.

3. Can a local win either of the big three in the spring?

4. Will we see a huge international group in Melbourne for the spring?

5. Can Jamie Kah continue her dominance in the Melbourne riding ranks?

6. Can the small stables like Kerry Parker, Denis Pagan and Matt Laurie again grab some of the group 1 glory?

7. Who will be horses that improver this season?

8. Will we be blessed with a good crop of 3yo's?

9. Can the big guns (Very Elleegant and Nature Strip) keep the challengers at bay to retain their mantles as the best of their group?

10. Who will be the improvers from the jockey and training ranks?

While last season was full of great moments, Denis Pagan winning the VRC Derby, Explosive Jack's attempt at winning four derbies, Classique Legend's scintillating Everest victory, Bivouac's VRC Sprint win, Verry Elleegant and Anthony Van Dyke's clash at Caulfield and VE and Addeybb in Sydney in the autumn, Stay Inside's quality Slipper win, and Anamoe's breathtaking ATC Sires victory, there was good racing at all the carnivals and we can only hope that that is the case this season as well.

Lets look at the group's of horses that we should expect to see in contention at the top level this season.

3yo's.

While we will see some who were not at the top level as 2yo's or those who did not even run (an example is Zouzarella who won well on debut today) the following 3yo's should be able to be followed with confidence, Stay Inside, Anamoe (when he does return), Artorius, Ingratiating, General Beau, Converge, Silent Impact, Tiger Of Malay, Captivant, Hilal, Port Louis, Giannis, Four Moves Ahead, She;s All Class, Swift Witness, Latino Blend, Trifaccia (when she puts her mind on the job), Jamaea, Home Affairs, Acrobat, Shaquero, Gimme Par, Najmaty, Heresy, Arcaded, Daily Bugle, Saif, Mazu, O'President, Tiger Of Malay, Jigsaw, Paulele, Coastwatch, Mr Mozart, Prince Of Boom, Crystal Bound, Enthaar, Alpine Edge, Royalzel, Overpass, Subterranean, Hoi An (WA), Lightsaber, Mallory, Profiteer and Sweet Dolly.

Golden Rose - With Anamoe out this is wide open. I will select Stay Inside, but no surprise if we get a Trapeze Artist type of win here.

Flight Stakes - Latino Blend.

Caulfield Guineas - Artorius.

1000 Guineas - I am tempted to select Trifaccia as she looks to me, to be a horse who will be better on her other lead leg, but I will stick my neck out and select Zouzarella.

VRC Derby - Royalzel

VRC Oaks - Zouzarella

Coolmore Stud Stakes - Gimme Par/Ingratiating

Sprinters.

The sprinting ranks will be strong once again and lets see who we can follow at the top level this season.

Under 1400m. Nature Strip, Eduardo, Tofane, Zoutori, Instant Celebrity, Classique Legend, Lost And Running, Vega One, Wild Planet, Jonker, Rothfire, September Run (down the straight), Portland Sky, Indian Pacific, Swat's That, Masked Crusader, Gytrash, Beau Rossa, Brooklyn Hustle, Ballistic Lover, Amish Boy, Dirty Work, Isotope, Kemalpasa, Haut Brion Her, Libertini.

1400m. Tofane, Vega One, Lost And Running, Masked Crusader, Gytrash, Behemoth, Streets Of Avalon, I Am Superman, Wild Planet, The Harrovian, Forbidden Love, Private Eye, Apache Chase, Ayrton, Probabeel, Kolding, Think It Over, Cascadian, Aegon.

Memsie Stakes - Tofane. If she does not run then Behemoth.

Rupert Clarke - Ayrton

Milers.

This is the group where we could see some really great action during the season. So lets see who is in contention.

Verry Elleegant, Collette (on wet), Private Eye, Ayrton, The Harrovian, Mo'unga, Lion's Roar, Hungry Heart, Cascadian, Think It Over, Cherry Tortoni, Lunar Fox, Probabeel, Mugatoo, Superstorm, Star Of The Seas, Keiai Nautique, Nimalee, Quantum Mechanic, Behemoth, Icebath, Zaaki (1600m fresh), Western Empire, Still A Star, Buffalo River.

Makybe Diva - Zaaki would be well placed here fresh, but I think he will be in Sydney early this prep. Keiai Nautique is the selection if he is switched here, if not then I will take Superstorm.

George Main - Verry Elleegant

Toorak - Superstorm

Epsom - Could go either Mo'unga or Private Eye, so I will go the better odds and say Private Eye.

Cantala - Lunar Fox

Empire Rose - Quantum Mechanic.

Middle Distance. Could this be the weakest group? 

Verry Elleegant, Mo'unga, Keiai Nautique, Degraves, Dalasan, Western Empire, Duais, Zaaki, Amarelinha, Young Werther, Angel Of Truth, Homesman, Sir Dragonet. There is a Lloyd one which won at the provincials on a saturday whose name I can not remember but he could develop like Degraves into a Australian Cup hope.

Underwood - Angel Of Truth

Turnbull - Again if either Zaaki or Keiai Nautique are here they are the selection. If not we will go Homesman.

Caulfield Stakes - Young Werther

Cox Plate - Zaaki

Mackinnon Stakes - Zaaki

Stayers. This looks like a very good group this season.

Verry Elleegant, Sir Dragonet, She's Ideel, Realm of Flowers, Quick Thinker, Miami Bound, Persan, Spirit Ridge, Mount Poppa, The Chosen One, Explosive Jack. 

Metropolitan - She's Ideel

Caulfield Cup - Sir Dragonet

Melbourne Cup - Verry Ellegant

All in all it looks like being a good season with the usual suspects trying to repel the challengers in the group 1 races.

Horse Of The Year - Verry Elleegant.

Sprinter of the Year - Masked Crusader.

Miler of the Year - Mo'Unga

3yo of the Year - Artorius

Most Improved Horse - Private Eye or Ayrton

Horse that has come from nowhere - Although he is a group 1 winner back in Japan, no one in Australia, or at least 99% of race goers had never heard of Keiai Nautique. If he can build off his fresh run in the Winx Stakes he can be a genuine group 1 WFA contender.

Most disappointing horse - It is easy selecting the Slipper winner so although I think he will slide, I will not make him the selection. I will say Explosive Jack. It has been a while since the ATC Derby winner was a genuine group 1 wfa horse in the 4yo season and I am thinking that that will continue this season. I hope I am wrong, but I think if he has a full cups prep this spring he will be cooked for the rest of his career. 

Most Improved Trainer - Annabel Neasham has a very good stable growing and she will win at least another three group 1's this season. Obviously Mo'unga and Zaaki will be the headliners but I can see some of her lesser lights performing beyond expectation.

Most Improved Jockey - Jye McNeil had a breakout season last season and while it will be hard to reach the heights of a Melbourne Cup win, I can see him doing better for the whole season, He seems to be the Lloyd Williams go to rider now with his win on Homesman in the Australian Cup and the stable have some nice hopes for the staying and middle distance group 1's coming up this spring. I can see him adding to his group 1's from this season with at least five this season.

Good luck to every one this season. Those who have a investment in breeding or owning a runner, those who ride and/or train a runner and those who will be having a investment in the races Thumbs Up 

From a personal point of view I hope that my Press Statement filly can break her maiden. The racing today gives me hope as she was half a length off Athelric behind Latino Blend at Newcastle and the race was not run to suit, so here's hoping.     

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:38pm
Trapeze Artist was on Bred to Win this morning.  Looks like he's let down into a lovely stallion.

My hope for the season is we don't get another day like yesterday with two horses breaking down.  Heart breaking for all involved.

The jockeys that fell may of been lucky to get away with lesser injuries but any fall can result in both horse and rider not getting up again.  

I too am wondering just what Annabel Neasham will produce next.  She has certainly hit the scene in NSW and like the four year old Mo'unga stepping up to open class and WFA she can only be a breath of fresh air.

To help get myself over this mix of depression and self doubt and everything which hits after you loose someone you love I've also bought a small part of a racehorse.  Not game enough to let you all know yet as only just turned two and very small.  Call me a chicken!  But hopefully we will once again be able to go to the races by the time she actually is ready to race.  She gets around more than I do at the moment.

So good luck with your Press Statement filly and I hope my NASD filly has luck also.  May neither of them meet with injury on the racetrack and if they fail to win at least retire safe and sound.  

Sounds like yours is older and further along in her career.  But if close to Latino Blend she must come good for you soon.  That filly was pretty impressive yesterday in a slow mixed up type of race.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 7:09pm
Ok I've just looked at the pedigree of the stakes horses from the weekend.

How many horses can you remember with three individual crosses of Todman in their pedigree plus of course one of Noholme.  Nice to say Mo'unga has Todman's daughters Virginia (in Savabeel), Rain Shadow (in Centaine) and his very good son Imposing. As a great fan of the Todman I have read about nice to see his blood emerge in one of the best so far this season.

The young stallion Sebring (to stud 2009) had two daughters produce a SW and a 2nd in a G2 race.  When you look at his pedigree - More than Ready, Flying Spur, Luskin Star, Better Boy, Rego, Port Vista you could say he has to be an immerging Broodmare sire.  I'd love to see his daughters visit sires with Rory's Jester (Baguette) in their pedigree with Extreme Choice, Farnan, Astern among the possible mates to get this cross.

Ballistic Lover is another stakes winner by Smart Missile who after a disappointing start to his career seems to have produced a few very good runners in the last few years.  His dam She's a Sweetheart is a daughter of Show a Heart and one of the few mares you find Planet Kingdom hidden back in the pedigree.  He was a great sire over a short period of time but when you find the lines of Star Kingdaom you usually find it through Biscay or Kaoru Star.   Planet Kingdom is from the female line of Phar Lap  and I think Show a Heart mares have crossed well with stallions with many lines of Star Kingdom.  One son of Snitzel who comes to mind as a great mate for She's a Sweetheart would be Trapeze Artist who comes from the same Phar Lap female line.

Fituese also had a interesting one in her pedigree with her third dam being Mannerism winner of the G1 races Caulfield Cup, Australasian Oaks, Futurity S and MRC Invitational.  It would be interesting to see Fituese or her dam to visit Xtravagant who is the same female line.

Private Eye is a gelding so sadly no chance of passing on his blood - which is the female line of Snitzel.  It would be very interesting to see his dam go to a son or grandson of Snitzel.  One who would take things even further would be Thronum with the cross of Helen Street (dam of Street Cry)

Unnamed

Thronum (AUS)
Bay 2013

Snitzel
Bay 2002

Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996

Danehill
Bay 1986

Danzig
Razyana

7-a
2-d

Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992

Canny Lad
Dancing Show

14>
8-f

Snippets' Lass
Bay 1993

Snippets
Bay 1984

Lunchtime
Easy Date

7-f
20-a

Snow Finch
Bay 1984

Storm Bird
A Realgirl

4-j
2-c

Helena's Secret
Bay 2007

Five Star Day
Chestnut 1996

Carson City
Chestnut 1987

Mr Prospector
Blushing Promise

13-c
4-r

Reggie V
Chestnut 1990

Vanlandingham
Regent's Walk

4-f
11-f

Mount Helena
Bay 1989

Danzig
Bay 1977

Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom

2-d
7-a

Helen Street
Bay 1982

Troy
Waterway

1-b
1-l

Confidential Queen (AUS)
Brown 2011

Shamardal
Bay 2002

Giant's Causeway
Chestnut 1997

Storm Cat
Bay or brown 1983

Storm Bird
Terlingua

4-j
8-c

Mariah's Storm
Bay 1991

Rahy
Immense

12-c
11>

Helsinki
Bay 1993

Machiavellian
Bay or brown 1987

Mr Prospector
Coup de Folie

13-c
2-d

Helen Street
Bay 1982

Troy
Waterway

1-b
1-l

Royal Snippets
Bay 2004

Royal Academy
Bay 1987

Nijinsky
Bay 1967

Northern Dancer
Flaming Page

2-d
8-f

Crimson Saint
Chestnut 1969

Crimson Satan
Bolero Rose

26>
8-c

Snippets' Lass
Bay 1993

Snippets
Bay 1984

Lunchtime
Easy Date

7-f
20-a

Snow Finch
Bay 1984

Storm Bird
A Realgirl

4-j
2-c

And that's just some of the interesting runners from the weekend.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
When doing the pedigree for Superstorm I found a grey from former years who survived the flooding of the Nepean/Hawksbury River when spelling.

Martello Towers went to stud over in the West and sired 15 stakes winners including a Perth Cup winner Artello Bay and Kaytello winner of the WA Oaks.  But it was as a racehorse he was supreme.  Winning the AJC Derby, Canterbury Guineas, Rosehill Guineas, George Main Stakes and a group of other stakes event.  

A beautiful grey it is a pity his colour hasn't come through but nice to see his name appear in another pedigree of a top horse.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 7:02pm
Top horse with a lovely pedigree Furious.

Line bred to two absolute Blue Hen mares in Scapa Flow (via brothers Pharos and Phalaris) and Lady Josephine (via half-sisters Mumtaz Mahal and Lady Juror).
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:18pm
Very talented and a real eye catcher , had the pleasure of seeing him race , went berserk in the gates in the / 59 VRC Derby , badly hitting his head in the gates otherwise may have completed the Derby double , however it went to another great little galloper Sky High , never the same after those floods , the photo of him like a shivering drowned rat on the front page standing on a little piece of high ground still lingers after all these years .
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
Correction it was Travel Boy /59 VRC Derby , Sky High /60, should have checked first .Big smile
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 10:15am
Anything that survives floodwater would get knocked around.  The speed that river was going at earlier in the year when it flooded was amazing.  With big trees being pulled down and then bouncing on top.  A horse - I can't imagine how he survived.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 4:31pm
Just seeing the Rebel Dane stakes placed three year old Lloyd's Crown and his stakes winner Subterranean.  Here is another young stallion out performing plenty of stallions standing at much more than his $8800.  With only 28 foals in his first crop and 26 in his second.   That falls back to 7 in his next crop so I think he will be the bread and butter style but well worthy of a look.  

Nice to see another Flying Artie's Giannis come out for another stakes win for his young sire.

The Snitzel three year olds have really come out firing early in the season also.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:46pm
Just took a look at the Sires Standings for the season so far.  I know it will change with the big staying events coming up but at the present time all the stallions 1 - 20 are (AUS) or (NZ).  

Dream Ahead and Toronado both with lesser runners are doing a good job to be the first Overseas breed stallions on the list outside the top 20.

Its not hard to work out why Snitzel is on the top of the list with every weekend seemingly giving us a new stakes winner or two by him.  

All Too Hard (Behemoth) follows in 2nd

Deep Field (without the big boy but Chat was a nice winner for him last weekend) is running 3rd

super consistent sire of winners I am Invincible sits in 4th

Savabeel (Mo'unga and soon to be winner Probabeel) is 5th

So You Think (Think it Over) has come out of his best season ever last year and followed up with a super impressive start to this season

Sebring (Superstorm) may have died but is still out there consistently siring city winners

While Zoustar, Written Tycoon and Shamus Award (despite his smaller numbers) make out the top ten.

Snitzel has also come out to lead the 3yo Season Sires with a new comer Flying Artie running a very good second with the same amount of winners but 18 fewer runners.  Another 2nd season sire Star Turn (without a stake winner yet this year) is running sixth also with 8 winners but with four more runners to Flying Artie.

There is a long way to go and plenty of racing ahead of us but so far the quality has been very good for early season racing.  With plenty of excitement ahead for many of the above stallions.  No doubt the Everest and major cups will see the above lists change but it's interesting to see what is happening before the really big money comes into play.

Nobody View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:36pm
Two year old racing at Caulfield next Wednesday. Anyone see the Zoustar colt's jumpout? 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:48pm
Well this is the weekend I consider to be the start of the important meetings of spring.

We find 18 stakes races ranging from the 1000m of the Moir Stakes to the 1800m Underwood S and the 2400m Queens Cup (replacing the Colin Stephens this year).  

In between all that is they race at Rosehill for the Golden Rose.  Anamoe looks a stand out but it is a field full of classy colts and a couple of fillies trying to do a Forensics.  Not one filly has won this at G1 status and I think it could be hard for the two fillies to break through.  The colts were standouts last season as two year olds - Anamoe, Artorius, Captivant, Tiger of Malay and Hilal all showing G1 form at that age.  While  In the Congo, Giannis, Royalzel, Remarque and Coastwatch have already showed to form this season to match them.

So while I think Anamoe will win he certainly isn't a clear cut above the rest.  Some of these will make his life hard as he has to come from the tail of the field.

The other three year old event in Sydney is the Gloaming Stakes over 1800m.  Now unlike your overseas counterparts this is the first time past 1600m for the entire field.  Overseas the likes of these would be out over 2000m as two year olds.  One of the reasons we can't produce stayers is there are no races building up to that distance during their two year old careers and really - appart from the stakes level colts and fillies - no distance races for the lesser types to commence their staying careers.

So the Gloaming is more important than people realise.  Some big names on the list of winners also - Ace High, Dundeel, Vanbrugh, So You THink, Al Maher and Fairway all went on to G1 success.   Can one of these rise to the heights of So You Think or Dundeel.  Here's hoping.

The Underwood over 1800m has drawn a small field with Zaaki and Probabeel heading the pack.  Small fields can cause a big upset but Zaaki does look special.

In a year when we can't go to the races and the jockeys are restricted to their home patch it's lovely to see jockeys get a chance - like Daniel Moor.  I don't think Wild Ruler can win tonight he's always just fallen when it comes to the G1's.  Same applies to Blaike McDougall.  He has one ride tonight at MV.  What a thrill that would be to win on Ballistic Boy.

It's a funny world we are living in.  It's good to see some good coming from it.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:13pm
Snitzel has come out with the spirit of a fighting tiger.  His sons and daughters are popping up everywhere and two G1's this weekend isn't bad for any sire.

He had a quiet season last year but it seems he was just taking a breather.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:37pm
ANAMOE (AUS)Bay or brown colt 2018 
Street Boss
Chestnut 2004
Street Cry
Bay or brown 1998
Machiavellian
Bay or brown 1987
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Coup de Folie
Bay 1982
Halo
Raise the Standard
2-d
2-d
Helen Street
Bay 1982
Troy
Bay 1976
Petingo
La Milo
22>
1-b
Waterway
Chestnut 1976
Riverman
Boulevard
10-a
1-l
Blushing Ogygian
Chestnut 1994
Ogygian
Bay 1983
Damascus
Bay 1964
Sword Dancer
Kerala
1-o
8-h
Gonfalon
Chestnut 1975
Francis S
Grand Splendor
1-s
16-a
Fruhlingshochzeit
Bay or brown 1984
Blushing Groom
Chestnut 1974
Red God
Runaway Bride
8-c
22-d
Fruhlingstag
Bay 1975
Orsini
Revada
14-f
1-e
Anamato
Bay or brown 2003
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Voltage
Bay 1984
Whiskey Road
Bay 1972
Nijinsky
Bay 1967
Northern Dancer
Flaming Page
2-d
8-f
Bowl of Flowers
Chestnut 1958
Sailor
Flower Bowl
22-b
4-d
Electric Belle
Brown 1979
Sovereign Edition
Grey 1962
Sovereign Path
Latest Edition
4-l
13-a
Dame Belle
Brown 1974
Hermes
Belle Time
11-d
18>

Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancerx 5m,5m Nijinskyx 5f,4m   
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:39pm
PROFONDO (AUS)Bay or brown colt 2018 
Deep Impact
Bay 2002
Sunday Silence
Brown 1986
Halo
Bay or brown 1969
Hail to Reason
Brown 1958
Turn-To
Nothirdchance
1-w
4-n
Cosmah
Bay 1953
Cosmic Bomb
Almahmoud
14-f
2-d
Wishing Well
Bay 1975
Understanding
Chestnut 1963
Promised Land
Pretty Ways
14-b
1-g
Mountain Flower
Bay 1964
Montparnasse
Edelweiss
19>
3-e
Wind in Her Hair
Bay 1991
Alzao
Bay 1980
Lyphard
Bay 1969
Northern Dancer
Goofed
2-d
17-b
Lady Rebecca
Bay 1971
Sir Ivor
Pocahontas
8-g
9-h
Burghclere
Bay 1977
Busted
Bay 1963
Crepello
Sans le Sou
16-d
2-s
Highclere
Bay 1971
Queen's Hussar
Highlight
19-c
2-f
Honesty Prevails
Bay 2013
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Flavoured
Bay or brown 2005
Hussonet
Chestnut 1991
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Sacahuista
Bay 1984
Raja Baba
Nalees Flying Flag
3-l
9-f
Almond Essence
Bay 1996
Seattle Slew
Bay or brown 1974
Bold Reasoning
My Charmer
1-k
13-c
Amirati
Bay 1990
Danzig
Weekend Surprise
7-a
3-l
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m x 5m Danzigx 4m,5f   
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:40pm
PAULELE (AUS)Chestnut colt 2018 
Dawn Approach
Chestnut 2010
New Approach
Chestnut 2005
Galileo
Bay 1998
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Urban Sea
Chestnut 1989
Miswaki
Allegretta
16-g
9-h
Park Express
Bay or brown 1983
Ahonoora
Chestnut 1975
Lorenzaccio
Helen Nichols
5-h
1-m
Matcher
Brown 1966
Match
Lachine
16-g
19-b
Hymn of the Dawn
Bay 1999
Phone Trick
Bay 1982
Clever Trick
Bay or brown 1976
Icecapade
Kankakee Miss
8-c
9>
Over the Phone
Chestnut 1965
Finnegan
Prattle
9-f
8-h
Colonial Debut
Bay 1994
Pleasant Colony
Bay or brown 1978
His Majesty
Sun Colony
4-d
5-a
Kittihawk Miss
Chestnut 1986
Alydar
Kittiwake
9-c
4-m
Chatoyant
Chestnut 2002
Flying Spur
Bay 1992
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Rolls
Chestnut 1984
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Grand Luxe
Chestnut 1974
Sir Ivor
Fanfreluche
8-g
4-g
Decidity
Bay 1993
Last Tycoon
Bay or brown 1983
Try My Best
Bay 1975
Northern Dancer
Sex Appeal
2-d
8-f
Mill Princess
Bay 1977
Mill Reef
Irish Lass
22-d
8-c
Class
Chestnut 1987
Twig Moss
Bay 1973
Luthier
Top Twig
14-c
1-k
Pirouette
Brown 1972
Planet Kingdom
Gypsy Moss
2-r
1-n
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m x 5m,5m His Majesty5m x 5f   
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:41pm
CAPTIVANT (AUS)Bay or brown colt 2018 
Capitalist
Chestnut 2013
Written Tycoon
Chestnut 2002
Iglesia
Brown 1995
Last Tycoon
Bay or brown 1983
Try My Best
Mill Princess
8-f
8-c
Yodells
Chestnut 1988
Marscay
Yodelling Lady
4-m
1-c
Party Miss
Brown 1991
Kenmare
Grey 1975
Kalamoun
Belle of Ireland
9-c
1-m
Miss Entertainer
Chestnut 1975
Vain
Viveza
A10
18>
Kitalpha
Chestnut 2005
Fusaichi Pegasus
Bay 1997
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Angel Fever
Bay 1990
Danzig
Rowdy Angel
7-a
8-c
Compulsion
Bay 1995
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Bold Promise
Chestnut 1988
Luskin Star
Game Dame
2-e
C2
Speedboat
Bay 2011
Commands
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Cotehele House
Brown or black 1980
My Swanee
Grey 1963
Petition
Grey Rhythm
16-g
8-j
Eight Carat
Brown 1975
Pieces of Eight
Klairessa
3-o
9-c
River Express
Bay 1994
Blazing Sword
Chestnut 1985
Marscay
Chestnut 1979
Biscay
Heart of Market
2-o
4-m
Royal Plate
Bay 1975
Lunchtime
Decree
7-f
A10
Ride the Rapids
Brown 1988
River Rough
Brown 1979
Brigand
Romantic Glory
22-b
2-e
Kilmarie
Brown 1983
Bletchingly
Sheeaun
7-a
5-h
 Ancestor duplications:Marscay5f x 4m Danzig5f,5m x 4m Danehill4f x 3m
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:50pm

ARTORIUS (AUS)Brown colt 2018 
Flying Artie
Bay 2013
Artie Schiller
Bay 2001
El Prado
Grey 1989
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Lady Capulet
Grey 1974
Sir Ivor
Cap and Bells
8-g
1-l
Hidden Light
Bay 1983
Majestic Light
Bay 1973
Majestic Prince
Irradiate
4-d
8-c
Tallahto
Bay 1970
Nantallah
Legato
6-a
13-c
Flying Ruby
Bay or brown 2004
Rubiton
Brown 1983
Century
Brown 1969
Better Boy
Royal Suite
2-n
20>
Ruby
Bay 1977
Seventh Hussar
Briar's Toddy
14-c
4-l
Parkhill's Flyer
Bay 1989
Brigand
Bay 1971
Noholme
Lady Sybil
1-u
22-b
Better Fantasy
Brown or black 1975
Better Boy
Pure Fantasy
2-n
7-d
Gracie's Lass
Bay 2012
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Grace and Power
Bay or brown 2005
More Than Ready
Bay or brown 1997
Southern Halo
Bay 1983
Halo
Northern Sea
2-d
16-g
Woodman's Girl
Bay 1990
Woodman
Becky Be Good
1-s
1-s
Lady in Power
Bay 1994
Defensive Play
Bay 1987
Fappiano
Safe Play
16-a
2-i
Lady Lady
Bay 1982
Little Current
Lady Winborne
16-g
1-s
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m x 5m Better Boy5m,5f x    

IN THE CONGO (AUS)Chestnut colt 2018 
Snitzel
Bay 2002
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Snippets' Lass
Bay 1993
Snippets
Bay 1984
Lunchtime
Chestnut 1970
Silly Season
Great Occasion
1-g
7-f
Easy Date
Bay 1977
Grand Chaudiere
Scampering
19-b
20-a
Snow Finch
Bay 1984
Storm Bird
Bay 1978
Northern Dancer
South Ocean
2-d
4-j
A Realgirl
Bay 1976
In Reality
Secret Verdict
21-a
2-c
Via Africa
Bay 2009
Var
Bay or brown 1999
Forest Wildcat
Bay or brown 1991
Storm Cat
Bay or brown 1983
Storm Bird
Terlingua
4-j
8-c
Victoria Beauty
Chestnut 1972
Bold Native
Abifaith
13-c
1-n
Loma Preata
Bay or brown 1994
Zilzal
Chestnut 1986
Nureyev
French Charmer
5-h
8-h
Halley's Comeback
Bay or brown 1984
Key to the Kingdom
Promised Princess
2-n
1-l
Bump 'n Grind
Bay 2001
Qui Danzig
Bay 1987
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Qui Royalty
Bay or brown 1977
Native Royalty
Qui Blink
4-k
22-d
College Girl
Bay 1984
Quick Turnover
Bay 1975
Buckpasser
Bold Consort
1-s
5-f
Bombshell
Bay 1978
Lords
Swift Lady
5-e
2-o
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m,5m x 5m Danzig4m x 4m Storm Bird4f x 5m

HOME AFFAIRS (AUS)Bay colt 2018 
I Am Invincible
Bay 2004
Invincible Spirit
Bay 1997
Green Desert
Bay 1983
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d